• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

btags

Most likely then, sorry thought maybe it was out by now. Got to mess with it at a few events and it is a solid stick.

Also textual streak is up for the week:

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=2607.0

Main thing of importance is that the launch trailer will be out 13/14th and will show the two remaining characters from the original games returning this season.

This may totally not be indicative of anything appearing in season 2, but seeing as KI currently renders characters at the game's native resolution when they are shown in menus (720p), can we get a pixel count on the screen of Jago's customization menu seen here. I am no expert but if that was captured from the game it certainly indicates that resolution has been raised. Either that or they just render menu stuff at higher res than the game now.

.la1n

I am curious as to whether or not stage ultras are going to be there day one. Also my guess on returning characters is going to be Cinder and Kim Wu. I feel like Riptor and Tusk could be made to tie into each other story wise so would make sense to have them in Season 3. I'd be happy with any of them though. I'll admit I'll be pretty bummed if Cinder isn't going to make it in this season but it is what it is.

Miles X

I am curious as to whether or not stage ultras are going to be there day one. Also my guess on returning characters is going to be Cinder and Kim Wu. I feel like Riptor and Tusk could be made to tie into each other story wise so would make sense to have them in Season 3. I'd be happy with any of them though. I'll admit I'll be pretty bummed if Cinder isn't going to make it in this season but it is what it is.

Tusk and Kim Wu are so boring when we have just had TJ and upcoming Maya, all too similar (human) I want Riptor and Cinder.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Can't wait for the S2 trailer, I like that we actually have date for it. My money is on Cinder and Kim Wu coming back this season...really hoping Cinder is after non-mummy.

.la1n

I'm gonna say the next characters are all newcomers.

Pretty sure Adam already confirmed the fourth character is a returning character.

Tusk and Kim Wu are so boring when we have just had TJ and upcoming Maya, all too similar (human) I want Riptor and Cinder.

If there is one thing I feel pretty certain on it's that we won't see Cinder and Riptor in the same season.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I want cinder and riptor simply because they were left out of KI2

Tusk and Kim wu can wait another year pls

Naked Lunch

Took me a while but I am finally getting used to TJ. He plays so weird with his juggles. Pulling off a win after his instinct brings you back from death is too fun. I still wish his roll actually hit like KI 1.

Is there any word on a six face button with d pad controller in the works? Or will we have to wait for Street Fighter next gen? I need one like now.

They are changing how you earn them completely, but I have no idea how current progress might translate to the new system, if at all. The only thing I remember they said is that you won't lose anything you've already unlocked

I think you'll lose any progress. That's also why they're saying spend the KP if you got it. The good news is they're making the challenges not so ridiculous.

DrDogg

so the last character (that isn't cinder) is either

Tusk
Kim Wu
Riptor

I'm gonna put my money on Tusk.

The question for me is do they count Cinder as already being revealed? Adam said there are two more classic characters coming, but most assume we already saw Cinder with the TJ Combo reveal. So is it Cinder + 2 more or does Cinder count as one of the two being revealed with the S2 launch trailer?

I think I'd be kind of disappointed if Cinder counts, especially if we don't actually see Cinder in action. If that happens, it wouldn't be all that different from the reveal at the end of the Combo trailer.

While I hope that's not the case, I think it will be. Cinder, Maya, Combo and the unknown classic make it an even 4 returning characters, and 4 new characters in S2.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wonder if the new accessories screen design will allow them to make new pieces that aren't bound to a specific set?

Would be a great way to give characters a few pieces *such as Thunder's Tomahawk and gloves* without having to go all in on a new costume set.

The new UI is looking good for these things as well. I guess it does properly carry over some of the KI 2 color scheme.

THey can always have original females, you know. Kim isn't the only solution to that.

Aria should be a female too. Adding a return and a new female or 2 would work out nicely, especially since we now see that IG can at least do a pretty good female face model.

I'd especially like to see how they handle her heritage, since this KI has tried to give characters regional languages and stage locations.

I want a Samurai type fighter

But isn't Samurai Spinal enough!? ;)

It'd be quite cool to see how they'd handle such a thing. We already have a western knight-inspired design in Fulgore, maybe ARIA could produce her own Eastern Knight in rebuttal? Though this doesn't mean he'd (she?) have to be mechanical.

I'm quite glad our 3rd character represents something that no other character seems to have hit upon lore-wise. I really hope this continues. It'd be nice to see the entire world get a change to inspire characters in this fighter.

Skab

The question for me is do they count Cinder as already being revealed? Adam said there are two more classic characters coming, but most assume we already saw Cinder with the TJ Combo reveal. So is it Cinder + 2 more or does Cinder count as one of the two being revealed with the S2 launch trailer?

I think I'd be kind of disappointed if Cinder counts, especially if we don't actually see Cinder in action. If that happens, it wouldn't be all that different from the reveal at the end of the Combo trailer.

While I hope that's not the case, I think it will be. Cinder, Maya, Combo and the unknown classic make it an even 4 returning characters, and 4 new characters in S2.

Remember, one of the recent textual streams said something along the lines of "two of the remaining original characters could have made that glow", so it could very well have not been Cinder. Either way, it's kind of obvious that they are already counting whoever it was as one of the two.

Also, to me it makes sense that of the remaining four, they would take one from KI1 and one from KI2. And yes, we need more females. I going to say that we get Cinder and Kim.

.la1n

I think the samurai idea is pretty cool as well as a vampire or Frankenstein's monster type character (maybe something Sabrewulf created.)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd be perfectly fine with a pretty boy Vampire.... as long as gaining instinct started to decay him, and made him look more feral. Start off looking like Castlevania's Alucard, and you'll hear no complaints from me, ha. Something like a gentlemanly bearded nobleman would be pretty awesome, though.

I do hope we get some "Giant" style beast somewhere in there. A Frankenstein-inspired creature could be really cool. I do hope IG's work on fighters with very colorful cast helps them go beyond the usual trends. I'd love to see something that puts Rikuo from Darkstalkers to the test for expressive, memorable beastmen in fighters.

Something like a gentlemanly bearded nobleman would be pretty awesome, though.

slayer-talk.gif

tapedeck

If we do get a Vampire character, I would love if they took inspiration from Kain (LoK) that would be bad ass.

Then the classic outfit could be that of the old typical Dracula look. ^^

I think Kim Wu and Cinder will be the last two classic characters for season 2.

Yeah, i'm sure this is exactly what it'll be. I'm excited for Kim Wu. :)

tapedeck

Ninja? Talking about the third character?
It seems that way, not what I was expecting based on that character design. I really doubt Mick is referring to his appearance. Could just be that the 3rd character moves very fast/vanishes or something.

DrDogg

No Tusk (or Kim Wu) this season would suck, but I do understand not putting all three KI2 characters in one season. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You know, while it's cool there's so much chance for return Characters from the old games... I'm probably much more interested in seeing how the new faces turn out, overall.

There's nothing so memorable about KI's old remaining cast that a new tribute character couldn't do better if desired. But fully new content has so much wider a reach to be inspired by, and as iffy as I may be about IG in some ways, I think Keits combat design will shine best when he's not trying to keep references to preset animations and moves from games that weren't really known for having entirely awesome martial arts anyway.

The new Devteam seems to know a lot more about Mechanic functionality than animation rhythm, so letting them make everything from scratch, concept and all, should have some interesting results.

I love how his teases sound good not just on their own, but I could imagine them in 16 bit instruments, and they'd still be just as memorable. Rhythm and melody all but to good use, making the music teases almost as interesting as Character reveals.

The Ninja-like thing he mentions... hmm. A new speedy character joins the fray? Interest rising. That'd be a unique twist to the "mummy" design.

If we do get a Vampire character, I would love if they took inspiration from Kain (LoK) that would be bad ass.

Then the classic outfit could be that of the old typical Dracula look. ^^

Kain's look would be great for the more monsterous side of vampire form, the kind that should signify instinct mode approaching / activated.

It really would be great to see accessories that make such a character fit into every archetype imaginable. I'd love to see a Vampire that could pull off the traditional Hollywood movie look, the pretty boy anime vampire look (Think 2000s Vampire Hunter D), the annoying Twilight Sparkly look ( best training DUMMY! ), and the old, noble gentleman look, all with the help of some accessories / costumes. It's such a nice way to spread a moveset over a wider range of player design preferences.

.la1n

No Tusk (or Kim Wu) this season would suck, but I do understand not putting all three KI2 characters in one season. :(

What play style do you think Tusk could fit into? A grappler could be interesting but then having a sword becomes kind of pointless.

Skab

I love how his teases sound good not just on their own, but I could imagine them in 16 bit instruments, and they'd still be just as memorable. Rhythm and melody all but to good use, making the music teases almost as interesting as Character reveals.

You know, I wonder if anyone has done 16 bit remixes of his songs for this game? I'm surprised I haven't thought to look for them yet.

And Micks vine teases are like our own mini version of the Smash Dojo.

DrDogg

What play style do you think Tusk could fit into? A grappler could be interesting but then having a sword becomes kind of pointless.

Heavy-hitting rushdown. I'm thinking armor on a good number of attacks, and good frame advantage on block. Tusk is basically Jago with aerial recapture off of his DP and no projectile. I think that alone means he can be rushdown, but make him heavy-hitting to differentiate him from Jago.

He has no projectile so you can't make him a zoning character, and he must have a giant sword, which means he can't be a grappler. You can get away with a small dual-axe grappler (although I still think Thunder should've been zoning or rushdown), but I would not be okay with a giant two-handed axe user being a grappler.

Come to think of it, I'd love to see Eagle as one of the "new" characters being a zoner with Thunder's old projectile.

I'm still waiting on a grappler with anti-air grabs. I want a character that plays in the way of Alex from Street Fighter, or even a character that has chain grabs like Grundy in Injustice.

Also! I really hope that if a grappler shows up, that they give him/her Glacius' Artic Slam from KI2. I loved the hell out of that move.

.la1n

They haven't ruled out Shadow Jago still making it this season and he hasn't been shown on what we have seen of the new UI character select screen...

having said that, I doubt Mick has time to give him a whole new theme right now with the amount of work he has ahead to make one character deadline per month going forward.

.la1n

Don't know if we will see anything this week, might be kinda slow with the launch next week. I was hoping we'd see a stage ultra by now but might have to wait until the launch trailer (if not after if they aren't in yet.)

hwalker84

Don't know if we will see anything this week, might be kinda slow with the launch next week. I was hoping we'd see a stage ultra by now but might have to wait until the launch trailer (if not after if they aren't in yet.)

I get the feeling they won't be in till the end of season 2.

Top Bottom