• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Naked Lunch

Any word on if the Training Stage will be selectable in online play? With all those KI backgrounds selectable on top of that - its like 15 backgrounds (and 15 different music tracks) in one.

.la1n

I hope they go the route of allowing us to select ping ranges to include in searches. I wouldn't want the ping requirement raised without a say in it because more matches doesn't mean better quality matches.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Any word on if the Training Stage will be selectable in online play? With all those KI backgrounds selectable on top of that - its like 15 backgrounds (and 15 different music tracks) in one.

Double Helix was never interested in it; they didn't see a reason to make such a plain stage available when they put so much effort into real stages that were all framerate locked, with dynamic music, and so complex in how they relate to the round structure.

I don't remember hearing IG give a specific answer on this, but there is probably one somewhere on the ultra-combo.com forums.

I think it'd be more likely we'd have classic music select for the new stages, personally. Would allow us to use all those training mode-only soundtracks, in a more interesting way then fighting on modified graph paper.

If training stage did become available, I'd love to see it be a modified version that transformed into a simple poly model of the retro stage of the person who was winning, or something of the sort. Keep all those square for people who like to use them for spacing issues, but make it more interesting for those of us who appreciate good stage design work. End it all by making the walls come down during ultra, to reveal the much-request KI classic sky stage.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I think it'd be more likely we'd have classic music select for the new stages, personally. Would allow us to use all those training mode-only soundtracks, in a more interesting way then fighting on modified graph paper.
I really hope we get this option as well, I like Micks stuff but itd be great to have KI1 (and 2)s tracks selectable for all the stages..or at least the classic tracks for that corresponding characters stage.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I really hope we get this option as well, I like Micks stuff but itd be great to have KI1 (and 2)s tracks selectable for all the stages..or at least the classic tracks for that corresponding characters stage.

Hopefully, it's an option by the time they put the KI2 tracks into the game, as well!

Would be really interesting if the stage BG would shift from the KI1 to KI2 melodies depending on fight intensity, of between KI 1 / 3 for characters that were missing from 2, for example.

KePoW

Banned
Hey All --

Brand new XB1 owner here. Does anyone know if KI will work with my current stick:

"Xbox 360 Street Fighter IV Round 2 Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition"

It's been great for me and I really like it (works on PC too).

mdsfx

Hey All --

Brand new XB1 owner here. Does anyone know if KI will work with my current stick:

"Xbox 360 Street Fighter IV Round 2 Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition"

It's been great for me and I really like it (works on PC too).
Your stick will not work on Xbox one at all. No 360 arcade sticks will. You have to buy an Xbox one arcade stick. FYI - they are also compatible with PC.

Edit: another option is the chronus max. Google it. Use with caution.

KePoW

Banned
Your stick will not work on Xbox one at all. No 360 arcade sticks will. You have to buy an Xbox one arcade stick. FYI - they are also compatible with PC.

Edit: another option is the chronus max. Google it. Use with caution.

Dangit that sucks!

Thanks for the answer and details

bumpkin

...they ruined TJ Combo. I tried him in practice mode for a few and I hate how he plays. None of his old combos work, they removed his actual rolling punch, his auto-doubles feel weird. Just, ugh.

Maybe I could learn to hate him less over time, but that "Just like riding a bike" sensation I had with Jago is non-existent. :(

tapedeck

...they ruined TJ Combo. I tried him in practice mode for a few and I hate how he plays. None of his old combos work, they removed his actual rolling punch, his auto-doubles feel weird. Just, ugh.

Maybe I could learn to hate him less over time, but that "Just like riding a bike" sensation I had with Jago is non-existent. :(
I felt the same way at first but he grows on you a bit, especially once you learn the juggles and how to mix in recapture/auto barrage. IMO his biggest issue is hes way too slow and his combos have absolutely no flow to them..theyre all jerky as fuck and the linker timing is weird.

Im hoping against hope IG listens to a lot of the feedback and adjusts him...but even if they do it wont change his overall play style much.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I still hope they eventually make TJs auto barrage two punches for every button press... that would make him feel a lot closer to classic KI

dankir

He has all of his moves from KI2... if you want old TJ go play KI or KI2 classic. He's much more fun to play in this version.

El Sabroso

the fact that the rolling punch is now a 3+MP and he has a move that is 4,6+MP is stupid, that charging grab should be 6, 4+MP instead

they need to readjust speed for his hits, a little faster moves for non combotrait hits and keep slower moves when using the combo trait

so fat not so fun as S1 characters where balanced, I love how Fulgore works now, you don't feel struggling for bar anymore

I haven't had access to my Xbox One since last Tuesday, and I never had a chance to play TJ Combo that day...and I won't yet have the opportunity for a few more days. The wait is....is....

Well, it's killing me. A boxer/grappler archetype sounds really intriguing and awesome for my tastes.

mdsfx

I'm a casual player due to time constraints (3 kids), but I finally made the leap to online ranked last night after having unlocked all of the ending cinematics. I had played online on several occasions before and mostly got brutalized with a 40% win ratio. Finally had some luck with sadira and sabrewulf last night. Sticking with it this time. Level 5 or bust lol...(so sad).

DrDogg

I think Jago is the only character who plays like he did in KI1. TJ plays a lot closer to classic TJ than Thunder does. I'd even go as far as to say TJ is closer to his former self than Sabrewulf.

the fact that the rolling punch is now a 3+MP and he has a move that is 4,6+MP is stupid, that charging grab should be 6, 4+MP instead

they need to readjust speed for his hits, a little faster moves for non combotrait hits and keep slower moves when using the combo trait

so fat not so fun as S1 characters where balanced, I love how Fulgore works now, you don't feel struggling for bar anymore

Please don't use Soul Calibur number pad notation for KI. While I know SC notation since I play SC, it's not common when discussing KI notations. It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. lol

Naked Lunch

The timing of TJ's combos just feel so off to me. Completely different from the rest of the cast. I am so inconsistent with the character. I hope he gets tweaked. Fulgore is just great now gaining meter over time. The game is far too offensive to have time to manually build meter.

I have been playing alot of KI 1 recently and something about that old game just feels more fun than the new version. I really like the new one but its missing something that the classic had. Perhaps its the super serious and dark tone of the new one? Cant place my finger on it. I like the old TJ Combo alot more than the new one for one.

tapedeck

The timing of TJ's combos just feel so off to me. Completely different from the rest of the cast. I am so inconsistent with the character. I hope he gets tweaked. Fulgore is just great now gaining meter over time. The game is far too offensive to have time to manually build meter.

I have been playing alot of KI 1 recently and something about that old game just feels more fun than the new version. I really like the new one but its missing something that the classic had. Perhaps its the super serious and dark tone of the new one? Cant place my finger on it. I like the old TJ Combo alot more than the new one for one.
Yeah unfortunately I feel the same, he's definitely lost part of what made him my favorite character from 1&2. We are getting Bayliss version of him which I have no doubt will look awesome. And who knows maybe IG is listening and still tweaking him for launch.

tapedeck

Adam confirms TJs alt has eyepatch and ripped US flag shirt...woot.

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=2442.105
There's no conspiracy here.

I did say we wanted to be more faithful to the classics, and that was the plan. Then we started talking to Bayliss about doing them, and the idea evolved. Like I said, they're retro, but updated, capturing the feel of the originals, but not by simply recreating the old costume.

Maya is barefoot in jungle attire; TJ has an eyepatch and ripped US flag shirt.

I'd still prefer 100% accurate recreations, but I guess that ship sailed from the beginning when they couldn't be assed to remove Jago's tattoo, and cemented with the bullshit they pulled with Thunder.

Nemesis_

I'd still prefer 100% accurate recreations, but I guess that ship sailed from the beginning when they couldn't be assed to remove Jago's tattoo, and cemented with the bullshit they pulled with Thunder.

I don't really care about the tattoo but I still can't believe what they did to Thunder. Only costume I'm really legitimately disappointed in.

.la1n

I know not everyone feels the same but after seeing what happened with the Season one retro skins I'm happy they aren't strictly adhering to that this go around. I'd rather they just create something they want to then to try to match fan expectations of the originals and end up with sewer rat wolf and tumor head glacius ;)

I know not everyone feels the same but after seeing what happened with the Season one retro skins I'm happy they aren't strictly adhering to that this go around. I'd rather they just create something they want to then to try to match fan expectations of the originals and end up with sewer rat wolf and tumor head glacius ;)

But it goes so well with the zombie accessory. ;)

rrc1594

/Dead

El Sabroso

Please don't use Soul Calibur number pad notation for KI. While I know SC notation since I play SC, it's not common when discussing KI notations. It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. lol

sorry I use numpad notation for every game, also never know SC uses that notation, I thought it was an anime games thing

Chairhome

I've only had like 20 min to play with TJ, but I like him. He was my main in 1 and 2 (and I keep trying to do a linker with cF, B+1), but I think he'll be my main again once I get used to him here. One thing though, I don't understand his combo trait, I keep trying to cancel an auto into another auto and it isn't working, did they change his trait or am i missing something?

dankir

I've only had like 20 min to play with TJ, but I like him. He was my main in 1 and 2 (and I keep trying to do a linker with cF, B+1), but I think he'll be my main again once I get used to him here. One thing though, I don't understand his combo trait, I keep trying to cancel an auto into another auto and it isn't working, did they change his trait or am i missing something?

You're going too fast, his auto doubles are much slower. So wait a sec before you link.

To do his around the world combo you should press each button twice ( at least that works for me ) in succession.

.la1n

First hit of auto double can be cancelled into a normal for that level auto double. If you follow sequence light to heavy for punches and kicks you get his damage ender.

Chairhome

You're going too fast, his auto doubles are much slower. So wait a sec before you link.

To do his around the world combo you should press each button twice ( at least that works for me ) in succession.

First hit of auto double can be cancelled into a normal for that level auto double. If you follow sequence light to heavy for punches and kicks you get his damage ender.

Thank you both. I'll give it a try tonight.

Ghazi

Haven't been keeping up with the game, bought S2 on a friend's bone to play at his house. Any place where I can see everything coming with S2? Are they updating the client when S2 comes out, for everyone? I heard there were improvements to it.

e: Found patch notes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Haven't been keeping up with the game, bought S2 on a friend's bone to play at his house. Any place where I can see everything coming with S2? Are they updating the client when S2 comes out, for everyone? I heard there were improvements to it.

e: Found patch notes.

We don't know everything coming yet.

Update comes for all in less than 2 weeks

Trailer will be out before season 2 launch which should show us some stuff we are getting. There's new modes, 6 characters (but we have the tease of the mummy looking guy) and stage ultras left to be unveiled

.la1n

I can't find it anywhere... I don't think the XB1 version is out??

Most likely then, sorry thought maybe it was out by now. Got to mess with it at a few events and it is a solid stick.

Also textual streak is up for the week:

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=2607.0

Main thing of importance is that the launch trailer will be out 13/14th and will show the two remaining characters from the original games returning this season.

Miles X

Ugh, so I'm going for the Spinal Skin that requires 150 fight titles and I'm 40 odd away, does this mean it'll reset to 0?!

mdsfx

Ugh, so I'm going for the Spinal Skin that requires 150 fight titles and I'm 40 odd away, does this mean it'll reset to 0?!
They are changing how you earn them completely, but I have no idea how current progress might translate to the new system, if at all. The only thing I remember they said is that you won't lose anything you've already unlocked

Top Bottom