• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER INSTINCT - Sadira trailer - ORCHID TEASE

Nope.

I'm out until more fighting games arrive. KI is simply not enough to justify it, and especially given it's piece-by-piece release nature. By the time more nextGen fighters are on the market, there will be more options and more competitive pricing (and options) for these sticks.

Hell, by then the mod PCB's for the One and PS4 might be ready for my existing TE's.

$200. I called it.

Dat next-gen tax.

More and early-adopter tax than a next-gen tax.

histopher

I wonder if the game can be purchased without an Xbone. I think I might be willing to buy this game and wait until I can afford the Xbone. I want this game to do well.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
thanks, mad catz

want to preorder the stick but shipping method area is blank and won't let me progress

grrrr

IM TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONIES

oh... not for canada? look at the excitement on my face

:|

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Do we know what Sadiras Instinct Mode does?

Turns her black, lets her jump cancel all her normal, and then lets you spawn Spider Web Balls while Double Jumping (and maybe while attacking too.)

The Balls set in place. They will eat fireballs, and catch opponents in their web, locking them for a second or so. They can be broken by being hit by any attacks, however.

WOW for anyone that's a huge Smash fan but not too good at technical fighters, that tidbit they threw out there about the right thumbstick is HUGE. That could really change the landscape of controllers for fighters and make them more accessible and competitive.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
WOW for anyone that's a huge Smash fan but not too good at technical fighters, that tidbit they threw out there about the right thumbstick is HUGE. That could really change the landscape of controllers for fighters and make them more accessible and competitive.
didn't Blazblue do this?

Tesseract

Banned
wtf @ that stick price. what's worse is we're forced to buy it because 360 sticks won't work on xbone.

for shame, microsoft and mad catz.

jim2011

to be honest... I bought the original SFIV TE stick at 149.99. This new stick looks a lot better in terms of customization, lights, etc. $50 more might be worth it. Still an expensive investment for sure but compared to the first, its not that much more expensive.

What did they say?

edit: BTW think im gon head and buy the 40$ version of this.

What did they say?

edit: BTW think im gon head and buy the 40$ version of this.

Put it to 29:01. Listen to him speak about it; gets me excited to try it out.

I'm a beast at Smash, but never gave too much serious focus at traditional fighters. I won't be getting the fightstick so was excited to hear anything about the controller. Definitely was not expecting this because that right thumbstick in Smash is a pretty cool concept for lesser-skilled players.

The more I hear about Double Helix's game design philosophies and witness their culture, the more I respect them as a potential top tier developer. Keep it up and keep the community close with you.

vg260

$200? Oof.

$500 system
$200 stick
6 characters.
Nope.

Not worth it. I really like what they're doing with this game, but the price of entry for me is too high. I'd buy the the game in a heartbeat if I had the hardware already, but that kind of investment is not worth it at this point in the game's development. Not for a 6-8 character fighter. The game is just not mature enough at this point for that kind of investment just to get to play it. No fighter with that few characters out of the gate is worth that investment. I'll just check back in a year when the game has reached a typical out of the gate roster count for a new fighter.

jbug617

Banned
now it's rejecting my payment.

fucking yay

and just confirmed... nothing wrong with my card

Markman was on twitter saying they having problems with the Canada store. They are working to fix it.

@MarkMan23: If you're trying to order the TE2 from the @MadCatz Canada Site & aren't having success. Hang in there, we'll look into it tomorrow! Sorry!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'd probably get that fight stick if I could sell my Marvel VS Capcom stick. It's like new with the original packaging, how much could I flip it on Craigslist for?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, on the stick. It says its available on the 22nd as in the same day as launch. Does that mean it ships on the 22nd and I get it on like the 28th? If thats the case, thats just like a big ole slap in the face. I download KI on launch day and I have to wait a week on my 200 dollar stick.

Those were games with gigantic budgets that spanned multiple years and even generations of development. Killer Instinct has been in development for less than a year by a small studio. It probably cost at max 1/10th of those games you mentioned.

Ok what about Banjo Nuts N Bolts and Conker's Bad Fur day those had shorter development cycles, mid sized budgets (certainly not as big as PDZ), and sold decently (I think) but MS nixed both franchises.

MS seems to think they can throw out 1-2 RARE franchises out once a generation and they expect Halo sized numbers. They don't understand these franchises need to be regrown since these franchises haven't been big since the 90s and the fanbases aren't as strong as they once were.

Rey

I don't understand people who play on arcade sticks to me the whole fun is to just play on the gamepad. It's way more comfortable too.

The last time I played on sticks was back in the days with the MK and KI cabinets, and it was glorious. At first it was very hard to get used to the stick movement and buttons but after getting used to it... Oh my.. It felt great. Its the precision of the stick and controlling the fighter, together with the feeling of punching the buttons. Once u get used to that, its very hard if not impossible to go back to controllers.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Y'know, even if you don't want to buy a stick at Launch... there's a perfectly functional D-Pad packaged with the system. Many who played KI with it say it feels quite good, and worlds better than the 360's D-Pad.

Even if / when they release unofficial adapters / modding for old sticks, that'll probably cost half the price of this stick anyway.

And I'm glad I won't eventually get this stick just for KI! This thing will get just as much use for games like Mighty No. 9 and maybe even Strider. And all those unannounced, upcoming fighters and 2D games that'll come in between!

MS seems to think they can throw out 1-2 RARE franchises out once a generation and they expect Halo sized numbers. They don't understand these franchises need to be regrown since these franchises haven't been big since the 90s and the fanbases aren't as strong as they once were.

This is actually one of the things I love about this new KI's release and development. The fact that it's a smaller upfront investment, Yet could conceivable count as a "full development title" like the others, after 3 seasons / years of support. By the time they reach the same quota of investment that they did with those other games, this brand will have gone through a lot of work to build itself back up; instead of just being a nostalgia-grab, it'll be it's own thing by then, standing on new legs.

DH also seems a lot more supportive than the Rare we heard from then. These guys have been pushing this game HARD. All I remember for PDZ and N&B was the general game release process; I think that'll help it, as well.

And it's not like the Banjo and PD efforts went to total waste; We got Both Banjo games on 360 in HD out of it, and PD finally got an HD re-release, as well. All 3 were class acts, and the Banjo 1 port was even a pre-order offer with Nuts & Bolts.

I don't understand people who play on arcade sticks to me the whole fun is to just play on the gamepad. It's way more comfortable too.

I was a pad warrior for years (after the death of US arcades :( ) before picking up a Hori EX, and a TE soon afterwards. And when I purchased my PS3 last year, I went back to Pad Warrior whenever I play their exclusive Fighters (Dark Awake, Aquapazza, Arcana Heart 3, etc.)

The ability to use all your right hand's fingers on a Joystick is very nice. It's always the biggest boon to me, as it makes pushing "cross button" commands much more intuitive and natural. I refuse to re-map my buttons for macros, so Joystick makes that all the more possible.

That stick is so ugly :( looks like something out of the 90s

That... really fits KI, no?

I'm sure they'll be more plain, less busy models as the time goes on, But for now, I like the fact it looks so distinct, as ti does help it feel like some more time went into it's design, compared to the plainly functional look of the original TE.

I wonder if the game can be purchased without an Xbone. I think I might be willing to buy this game and wait until I can afford the Xbone. I want this game to do well.

Most likely through Xbox.com. Maybe even on the Microsoft store. Of course, this is one of few digital games where waiting might actually be good; they've been very open about wanting to offer deals for the game as time goes on, to reduce the cost of entry.

wtf @ that stick price. what's worse is we're forced to buy it because 360 sticks won't work on xbone.

for shame, microsoft and mad catz.

Most of the older console generations didn't support old sticks / peripherals out the gate either.
PS4 isn't supporting PS3 pads out the gate, for that matter. Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few sticks end up not working...
Do people only remember the PS1-PS2-PS3 console shifts? I can use my Gamecube controllers on my Wii, but not like I can on my WiiU or PC.

If anything, I feel better about buying new sticks this Gen, than I would have in the past. The PC has many more native, legal games that work with them (Many more 2D platformers and even some fighters!), compared to the past, the console generations last over double the time of the previous ones, and the support and availability for the parts is also much more easily accessible, official or aftermarket wise.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's a chore to play 6 button games on pad, even on the beloved Saturn pad because you're accessing everything with your thumb. The most significant advantage (imo) to playing on stick is the ability to comfortably access up to 4 buttons (5 if you use your pinky) without moving your hand.

Skab

What do you mean the whole fun? And sticks are way more comfortable. Having youre entire hand free to do stuff, instead of having to grip a controller and rely on your thumbs, is way way better. It's also way more precise. When SF4 came out, I got one of the madcatz pads. Around the time super was announced I decided to get a stick, and I can't go back. I've tried playing on a pad and it's just awful to me now.

People generally take the leap into getting a stick when they play beyond the casual level. (Not that there isn't competitive/tournament level pad warriors, but they are very much the minority.)

LTWheels

I generally feel comfortable moving back and forth from pad to stick. Does take a little bit of adjustment though. But then I'm a weirdo that uses the analog stick instead of the dpad.

I grew up playing fighting games in the arcades and to this day consider it (arcade sticks) to be far more responsive and comfortable than any controller. Even the often praised 6-button Genesis/Saturn controller.

That and I also don't have to worry about the skin on my thumb peeling off due to hours of repeated motion across the dpad.

jbug617

Banned
MS announces Killer Instinct Pin Ultimate Edition. Digital Card in the box with:

The Pin Ultimate Edition was designed by Penny Arcade and includes the first two pins (Jago and Killer Instinct 3D Logo) from a collection of 16, packed in a premium box that unfolds into a pin display. Start your collection now!

The game also features all the Killer Instinct Ultra Edition content, which includes:

All Season 1 characters (8)*
Season pass for all costumers (8) and accessory packs (16)*
Early access to all Season 1 content
Original Killer Instinct Classic Arcade game

The price is $59.99
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...100?siteID=te1Fq2FCseg-.d2FQRH49lLvFhV_6yPKtw

Ryu751

Banned
Played the game today on the tour bus Xbox thingy. My thoughts are it feels a lot like classic Killer Instinct. I was able to jump in and do 14 hit combos. The graphics look great too. So much movement and, all the particles, while being very smooth. The bus had Forza and I would say Killer Instinct was more impressive.

Top Bottom