• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 @ E3 2008 - ONLINE Revealed

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Marconelly said:
I apologize for sounding harsh, but despite liking R1 quite a bit, it did nothing for me visually except for a few alien constructions. R2, while moving in the right direction, still has that Half Life 2 look to it, which is fine on one hand, but HL2 is a pretty old game now. The picture you posted was from the conference playthrough level, and that huge alien was basically the only impressive looking thing in that demo. It stood out from the scenery that was much less impressive - but hell, even that big alien has somewhat last-gen looking specular and normal maps. It has too much of that metallic DX8 look to it. Now, I know they didn't finish any of it and that the building was supposed to be burning and all, but I can only comment on what I saw running.

There's the San Francisco bridge scene that looked great from the short trailer, but many other scenes don't look all that impressive.

After all, I'm not saying it looks bad at all - better looking Half Life 2 style graphics with larger scale are nothing to scoff at, but on the other side you have KZ2 that basically looks closer to high-end CG than any game has ever come, and that's just very impressive to me. I fully expect to see R2 best KZ2 in the quality of gameplay for what is worth, but credit must be given where it's due.

Posted this in the R2 thread and got tagged as a troll and chewed out. It looks better than the first one that's for sure, but it just doesn't match those original pictures.

Madman

Marconelly said:
I apologize for sounding harsh, but despite liking R1 quite a bit, it did nothing for me visually except for a few alien constructions. R2, while moving in the right direction, still has that Half Life 2 look to it, which is fine on one hand, but HL2 is a pretty old game now. The picture you posted was from the conference playthrough level, and that huge alien was basically the only impressive looking thing in that demo. It stood out from the scenery that was much less impressive - but hell, even that big alien has somewhat last-gen looking specular and normal maps. It has too much of that metallic DX8 look to it. Now, I know they didn't finish any of it and that the building was supposed to be burning and all, but I can only comment on what I saw running.

There's the San Francisco bridge scene that looked great from the short trailer, but many other scenes don't look all that impressive.

After all, I'm not saying it looks bad at all - better looking Half Life 2 style graphics with larger scale are nothing to scoff at, but on the other side you have KZ2 that basically looks closer to high-end CG than any game has ever come, and that's just very impressive to me. I fully expect to see R2 best KZ2 in the quality of gameplay for what is worth, but credit must be given where it's due.
Killzone looks great, but the screen I posted earlier from R2 looks extremely impressive and to say that it isn't comparable to Killzone 2 is wrong in my opinion. Someone even posted a screen to show off the superiority of Killzone and it didn't look superior. It had heavy blur, smaller scale, and a duller pallete. Say what you want, but I think people are giving Killzone way too much credit over the competition and are being too agressive defending it.
nib95 said:
WTF happened to this thread. Please please do not tell me it was a KZ2 vs R2 thing. People realise PS3 owners get both games right? So who the fuck gives a shit.
It started when AI concerns came up, believe it or not. I'm done with it. I'll be playing and enjoying both.

nib95

Banned
WTF happened to this thread. Please please do not tell me it was a KZ2 vs R2 thing. People realise PS3 owners get both games right? So who the fuck gives a shit.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
nib95 said:

No it started as AI really. Somebody was defending the AI saying "we haven't even seen the AI it's toned down" I pointed out guerilla said it's on normal and not toned down, which made me a lot of enemies basically being called a troll. Somehow this lead to a pointing out that KZ is beautiful. Mad man said R2 and MS2 compare to KZ. People disagreed, including me.

nib95

Banned
msdstc said:
No it started as AI really. Somebody was defending the AI saying "we haven't even seen the AI it's toned down" I pointed out guerilla said it's on normal and not toned down, which made me a lot of enemies basically being called a troll. Somehow this lead to a pointing out that KZ is beautiful. Mad man said R2 and MS2 compare to KZ. People disagreed, including me.

The AI was toned down.

http://www.n4g.com/News-172489.aspx

Guerrilla games developer motherh666 was asked about Killzone 2 A.I in which he replies that, the "A.I Was Toned Down Quite A Lot" so they could properly demonstrate the game to the press.

"Yes, it was toned down quite a lot. When putting games on pods it is more important for us to show as much of the game as possible, rather than making the life of the person playing it difficult. The demo was fairly tame."

Devs need to just give players god mode or something. If people suck at the game its their fault, you shouldn't tone down core factors of a game like that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
nib95 said:
The AI was toned down.

http://www.n4g.com/News-172489.aspx

Guerrilla games developer motherh666 was asked about Killzone 2 A.I in which he replies that, the "A.I Was Toned Down Quite A Lot" so they could properly demonstrate the game to the press.

"Yes, it was toned down quite a lot. When putting games on pods it is more important for us to show as much of the game as possible, rather than making the life of the person playing it difficult. The demo was fairly tame."

Well if this is the case then color me extremely satisified and hyped as I said a few pages back:D, but like I said in that stage demo the guy said it was on normal and not toned down.

Vish

Banned
msdstc said:
Well if this is the case then color me extremely satisified and hyped as I said a few pages back:D, but like I said in that stage demo the guy said it was on normal and not toned down.

Haha, I like how you have yet to get over anything =p.

nib95

Banned
msdstc said:

Which on stage demo? I remember one dev saying it was on Normal when he himself was demoing it, but no mention of toned down or not. That said it was a developer playing it, who knows the level inside out, so naturally he's going to make it look a lot easier than it is.

The actual press demo's and kiosks however were on easy and with AI toned down.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
nib95 said:
Which on stage demo? I remember one dev saying it was on Normal when he himself was demoing it, but no mention of toned down or not. That said it was a developer playing it, who knows the level inside out, so naturally he's going to make it look a lot easier than it is.

The actual press demo's and kiosks however were on easy and with AI toned down.

The Livewire demo I think that's what you're talking about too where the dev plays. From that video though there wasn't much to tell if there was good or bad AI, but I'm happy you updated on the kiosks situation.

Vish said:
Haha, I like how you have yet to get over anything =p.

I don't get what you're saying?

mr_nothin

Banned
msdstc said:
The Livewire demo I think that's what you're talking about too where the dev plays. From that video though there wasn't much to tell if there was good or bad AI, but I'm happy you updated on the kiosks situation.

I don't get what you're saying?
IIRC, he didnt say it wasnt toned down. He just said it was on normal.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
nib95 said:
People realise PS3 owners get both games right? So who the fuck gives a shit.
I think that's the most interesting kind of comparison there can be actually. Same hardware, same genre. It's basically one team's skill vs. another. No hardware advantage of any kind to help either of them. Now of course, it's worth noting that Insomniac made/will make not two but three whole great games on PS3, while Guerrilla still didn't make one.

Madman said:
Someone even posted a screen to show off the superiority of Killzone and it didn't look superior.
That was a bad picture to post. These two are some of my favorites and much better show the detail, effects and the overal chaos. The best thing of course is that in motion it all stands to the scrutiny set by what the images would suggest it should animate like.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/236/928377_20070825_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/336/928377_20071203_screen004.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
Marconelly said:
I think that's the most interesting kind of comparison there can be actually. Same hardware, same genre. It's basically one team's skill vs. another. No hardware advantage of any kind to help either of them. Now of course, it's worth noting that Insomniac made/will make not two but three whole great games on PS3, while Guerrilla still didn't make one.
But nobody wants that!
WE WANT CONSOLE WARZ!

Rikyfree

mr_nothin said:
And as we all know...MGS4's "Normal" is actually the Easy mode.

Killzone 2 also has 4 difficulty levels.
Its prob Easy, Norm, Hard, and OMGWTFTHISISTOOGODDAMNHARD!!!!!!! /throws controller!

Fixed that for ya. Not being mean, I just really want this to be the case lol.
/glutton for punishment

mr_nothin

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
When it's on the same console, you know THE CONSOLE WARZ! has gotten pretty bad! :lol
I think the trolls are the xbots who broke down and bought a ps3 for mgs4 after they found out its not coming to the 360 and now they're doing infiltration trolling.

:p

nib95

Banned
I personally think KZ2 uses geometry and lighting hax.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

They are hacking the fuck out of those SPUs...

And the funny thing is, they still aren't using all of the SPUs. Their code is running on 4.5...they still have 1.5 SPus to go :D

gantz85

Banned
Kuroyume said:
They need to show a new environment already.

They are making us wait for the playgasm.. :D

But if they hold on any longer, interest might just die out. If they unleash new gasms on us, it might overshadow Resistance 2 (already doing so). Difficult for Sony.

AmMortal

Banned
Really good looking game :)

I actually find it hard to believe that this game is coming out as early as it is, while some games that require (probably) less technological work, aren't out till at least a year and a half from today.

C'mon Square! I want my FFXiii :(

McLovin

Private Hoffman said:
They are hacking the fuck out of those SPUs...

And the funny thing is, they still aren't using all of the SPUs. Their code is running on 4.5...they still have 1.5 SPus to go :D
They still have alot of time... maybe sony should let them have one more just for AI :O

So who else here is going to turn off the crosshairs and the hud (if possible) and just play with iron sights and trying to mentally count the bullets to go? I loved doing that in the PC game Vietcong.

Facism

Zedsdeadbaby said:
So who else here is going to turn off the crosshairs and the hud (if possible) and just play with iron sights and trying to mentally count the bullets to go? I loved doing that in the PC game Vietcong.

would be great if their was a delta mode like in crisis. Made that game more fun.

Dever

Banned
You know what's lame though? We still haven't seen the KZ2 shotgun in action. I bet that thing is fucking beautiful.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Marconelly, I disagree with you on Resistance 1 though... especially about later levels (like London)... I remember running up a flight of stairs... seeing heavy smoke coming out of a broken window on the right, getting over this rooftop and having a glimpse of the huge environment around me with tons and tons of snow flakes in the air (particles galore)... it did look awesome ;).

deepbrown

msdstc said:
How about a toned down version of the Normal AI?

Or normal damage, but toned down AI?

Busty

Banned
Marconelly said:
I think that's the most interesting kind of comparison there can be actually. Same hardware, same genre. It's basically one team's skill vs. another.

Blargh.

This is the Sony fanboy equivalent of black on black crime.

Don't let the man (Nintendo) keep you down.

Stand tall and proud HD gaming.

Say after me. I am somebody.

cameltoe

Panajev2001a said:
Marconelly, I disagree with you on Resistance 1 though... especially about later levels (like London)... I remember running up a flight of stairs... seeing heavy smoke coming out of a broken window on the right, getting over this rooftop and having a glimpse of the huge environment around me with tons and tons of snow flakes in the air (particles galore)... it did look awesome ;).

Snow like that has not been duplicated in any game since...fucking amazing looking!

I hope R2 has even better snow!!

Zedsdeadbaby said:

i'd give it a try, though it might mean that "hi, i'm temporary" would be written on my forhead....

Rainy Dog

Kuroyume said:
They need to show a new environment already.

Personally, I hope Guerilla go on another blackout until next year after Leipzig. We've already seen two levels in their near entirety...

A MP Beta on the map(s) we've already seen, maybe a few new screenshots showing the doubters that, yeah, there is more to the game than grey industrial settings, and a huge marketing campaign is all it now needs imo.

gantz85

Banned
Rainy Dog said:
Personally, I hope Guerilla go on another blackout until next year after Leipzig. We've already seen two levels in their near entirety...

A MP Beta on the map(s) we've already seen, maybe a few new screenshots showing the doubters that, yeah, there is more to the game than grey industrial settings, and a huge marketing campaign is all it now needs imo.

Blackout until January might be good. Until at least after Resistance 2's launch anyways :D

Rainy Dog said:

Exactly ... KZ2 has been one of those games that's shown us plenty of gameplay. I'm pumped. I want to be surprised with other levels that I see. I liken this to sneaking a peak at one's Christmas present. Only this Christmas will come a couple months late.

AndyD

aka andydumi
gantz85 said:
Blackout until January might be good. Until at least after Resistance 2's launch anyways :D

Its likely this will happen. If nothing else, out of courtesy for the other dev. We know they are close, and they are both SOny games, so a no cannibalization of sales policy may be inplace.

JimiNutz

Banned
This thread cracks me up. Over 2000 posts and we're just going over the same info/media, raising the same points again, and again, and again :lol

You've gotta give it to KZ2 few games attract this much attention on GAF-maybe because of the huge polarity of opinion regarding the game. I can't imagine the GAF thread if/when GG release a demo or beta for the game.

Talking of which I really hope they hurry up and get on that. I've seen enough of the game and would be happy with a media blackout, but man I really wish I could actually play a short demo to make up own mind about the controls/AI. I suppose the earliest we can expect a demo is Jan 09? Surely they can't wait that long until a beta though, and surely they won't release a KZ2 MP beta too close to Resistance 2 release date?

FirewalkR

NutJobJim said:
You've gotta give it to KZ2 few games attract this much attention on GAF-maybe because of the huge polarity of opinion regarding the game. I can't imagine the GAF thread if/when GG release a demo or beta for the game.

It will be full of gifs and win.

Arnie

http://www.e3coverage.com/E32008/e32008_killzone2.html

Guys this new video is really quite good. In the first section it shows some promising AI. The AI attempts to flank the player when he takes position behind a raised piece of cover. Then when the player kills this guy, a second AI attempts to flank the player. Secondly when the player attempts to shoot a Helghast over cover, the Helghast sprints to a piece of cover which makes it hard for the player to shoot him. The Helghast manages to sprint really fast and gives a sense of ergency. This has really impressed me and i hope GG can build on that.

Another positive is the developer says that Killzone 2 multiplayer will definitely be at Liepzig in a Hands On form. So prepare yourselfs guys, multiplayer impressions incoming from Liepzig, possibly accompanied by a handful of videos.

-ARNiE- said:

Guys this new video is really quite good. In the first section it shows some promising AI. The AI attempts to flank the player when he takes position behind a raised piece of cover. Then when the player kills this guy, a second AI attempts to flank the player. Secondly when the player attempts to shoot a Helghast over cover, the Helghast sprints to a piece of cover which makes it hard for the player to shoot him. The Helghast manages to sprint really fast and gives a sense of ergency. This has really impressed me and i hope GG can build on that.

Another positive is the developer says that Killzone 2 multiplayer will definitely be at Liepzig in a Hands On form. So prepare yourselfs guys, multiplayer impressions incoming from Liepzig, possibly accompanied by a handful of videos.

watching now, thanx

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
-ARNiE- said:

Hype++++++

Great video, and the AI looked fine to me (in that particular instance).

I keep thinking about how the same scene would've played out in the original Killzone. The first guy would've ran around the corner, then stopped in plain sight to shoot at you. The second guy would've never even noticed you and you would've been able to pick him off while he was across the map staring at a wall. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jeremy_ricci said:
Now it can't be unseen, lol.

It's like that damn FedEx arrow!
?

Top Bottom