• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 @ E3 2008 - ONLINE Revealed

oneHeero said:
Why the fuck is it that EVERYONE person ever recorded playing KZ2 is shitty as fuck @ FPS?

I too thought it was just that the people playing have been terrible at console FPS games, but after listening to David Ellis on 1UY he says that the controls in K2 are pretty rough at this state. Since he's big into shooters, I take this as a warning sign. Hopefully in their effort to get the rest of the game polished, GG won't let something like this slip through the cracks. I don't recall the aiming in KZ1 being a problem outside of the fact that the low framerate made everything a little more difficult.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tideas said:
I never said trolling. I said fodder for forum wars, which is what I've been reading this entire time.

Sure, there can be things wrong with a game, but all of you seem to be almost nitpicking to the point of, a game is not even fun anymore.

Every game is gonna have fault. What most of you guys are doing is that, you try to look for faults when it isn't there, or there is no logical reason to support it being there.

Metalmurphy said:
They obviously can't bash the graphics, and gameplay has been bashed for long enough. I guess it's the new thing.

You guys are the reason there is so much fighting. It's not just MY damn opinion something is wrong with the AI... impressions all over have stated the AI is weak, even snoopers said it wasn't too bright. Don't get me wrong the new video appears to be on normal and not toned down, because they flank and take cover. There were minor problems that could be cleaned up within those 5 months of development.

However it has nothing to do with needing ammo to bash the game. I've been defending this game since the last e3 reveal. Check the history if you want. The AI in the gamersyde video sucked, IMO. It's not forum fodder or me being a troll. It's not because I "can't bash the graphics"... it's because I was concerned the AI wasn't up to speed.

edit- Metalmurphy the AI being a problem is NOT a "new" thing... it's been talked about as a problem since last e3. For the record I defended it then saying it was toned down. When I heard it wasn't toned down it made me nervous, but it turns out it truly was, as proven by the new videos. Either that or it's incredibly inconsistent.

antiloop

BruceLeeRoy said:
More gifs cause damnit this game deserves gifs.

2nq4e86.gif

168y2qd.gif

161aluw.gif

2h7p1s9.gif

3520snl.gif

zj9g9g.gif

2v986qg.gif

2zee0p1.gif

4t3ntk.gif

r6xmxy.gif

LINK TO FOOTAGE

I thought this deserved another quote.

AmMortal

Banned
msdstc said:
You guys are the reason there is so much fighting. It's not just MY damn opinion something is wrong with the AI... impressions all over have stated the AI is weak, even snoopers said it wasn't too bright. Don't get me wrong the new video appears to be on normal and not toned down, because they flank and take cover. There were minor problems that could be cleaned up within those 5 months of development.

However it has nothing to do with needing ammo to bash the game. I've been defending this game since the last e3 reveal. Check the history if you want. The AI in the gamersyde video sucked, IMO. It's not forum fodder or me being a troll. It's not because I "can't bash the graphics"... it's because I was concerned the AI wasn't up to speed.

edit- Metalmurphy the AI being a problem is NOT a "new" thing... it's been talked about as a problem since last e3. For the record I defended it then saying it was toned down. When I heard it wasn't toned down it made me nervous, but it turns out it truly was, as proven by the new videos. Either that or it's incredibly inconsistent.

Truth right there..
Hope they work on it if that's so. However,surely A.I doesn't matter online does it? FPS are usually online orientated.

McLovin said:

Thanks McLovin' :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
AmMortal said:
Truth right there..
Hope they work on it if that's so. However,surely A.I doesn't matter online does it? FPS are usually online orientated.

Thanks man... Like I said though. In the new videos the AI looked great! And that's what I expected in a game set to normal. If it was anything like the AI in the gamersyde video, then there were some problems. Looks to me like the AI will live up to the hype that guerilla has been talking about.

edit- For the record yeah AI doesn't matter if you can play online, but at the same time I want an epic single player. With graphics like that hopefully we get some beautiful environments and such, and some great battles. It would make everything so much more visceral.

AmMortal

Banned
msdstc said:
Thanks man... Like I said though. In the new videos the AI looked great! And that's what I expected in a game set to normal. If it was anything like the AI in the gamersyde video, then there were some problems. Looks to me like the AI will live up to the hype that guerilla has been talking about.

edit- For the record yeah AI doesn't matter if you can play online, but at the same time I want an epic single player. With graphics like that hopefully we get some beautiful environments and such, and some great battles. It would make everything so much more visceral.

Let's hope the A.I is up to speed. Let's hope they actually read all the forums ( GAF :p ) and started to work on the A.I, which the probably did.
They've got till '09 dammit :mad:

ypo

Well when the developers said AI was toned down for the show and that's been repeatedly pointed out to you and yet you continue to recycle the same thing over and over and over again. Something is wrong here.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
ypo said:
Well when the developers said AI was toned down for the show and that's been repeatedly pointed out to you and yet you continue to recycle the same thing over and over and over again. Something is wrong here.

Here it is again. What are you suggesting... am I trolling? Am I bias? Like I said check the history man you're wrong.

Also if you've supposedly been following this you'd see that there was a stage demo where guerilla themselves said the AI was on normal and not toned down. Turns out it was just for that video, which we didn't see enough in to determine the AI anyways.

AmMortal said:
Let's hope the A.I is up to speed. Let's hope they actually read all the forums ( GAF :p ) and started to work on the A.I, which the probably did.
They've got till '09 dammit :mad:

I agree man, but I think it will be after that new video showing what the AI is really like. Like I said it's flanking and taking cover. There were a few reaction problems in the new video, but nothing 5 months of developing can't clean up. Guerilla themselves said the bells and whistles are all in place, now it's all about AI and gameplay.

AmMortal

Banned
ypo said:

I personally think that there's two options here:

1: The A.I was toned down ( as with many booths)
2: Even if the A.I was weak, they've got enough time to give it the destructive force Ghengis Khan's army.

msdstc said:
I agree man, but I think it will be after that new video showing what the AI is really like. Like I said it's flanking and taking cover. There were a few reaction problems in the new video, but nothing 5 months of developing can't clean up. Guerilla themselves said the bells and whistles are all in place, now it's all about AI and gameplay.

Exactly, it's not for naught called a Pre-Alpha phase. People need to stop making hate on a beautiful game :)

Just look at this:

2zee0p1.gif

My God...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
AmMortal said:
I personally think that there's two options here:

1: The A.I was toned down ( as with many booths)
2: Even if the A.I was weak, they've got enough time to give it the destructive force Ghengis Khan's army.

Exactly, it's not for naught called a Pre-Alpha phase. People need to stop making hate on a beautiful game :)

Just look at this:

2zee0p1.gif

My God...

Well what happened was it was confirmed the AI was toned down on the pods. BUT when the developers played it was not toned down. In the new video it appears to be set on normal all the way with developers playing through and it looks great. They will have time to make it better too.

However regarding pre-alpha. The reason I was worried before is because 4 1/2 months is not a lot of time to completely overhaul the AI. They could make it ok, but not great in that time, or at least that's what I think. AI is a whole system, not just something to tweak now and then, and it looked like there were some serious problems with it. In the end it was toned down, which is great to hear though.

edit- oh and that gif... I agree. Look at the metal texture, the lighting off of it... and notice his fingers changing positions. Incredible attention to detail.

kbear

Anyone know if there's gibs? Insomniac added gibs in Resistance 2 so I was hoping Guerrilla would follow suit. I love gibs... can't get enough of em, most satisfying gaming thing ever.

jett

D-Member
kbear said:
Anyone know if there's gibs? Insomniac added gibs in Resistance 2 so I was hoping Guerrilla would follow suit. I love gibs... can't get enough of em, most satisfying gaming thing ever.

Currently there are no gibs, and I don't think there will be.

Dever

Banned
msdstc said:
Well what happened was it was confirmed the AI was toned down on the pods. BUT when the developers played it was not toned down. In the new video it appears to be set on normal all the way with developers playing through and it looks great. They will have time to make it better too.

Which video are you talking about btw?

msdstc said:
Trends always make a comeback. It's the "new thing" at the moment. That's what I meant :p

AmMortal

Banned
msdstc said:
http://www.e3coverage.com/E32008/e32008_killzone2.html

Looks much better in this video. It's not perfect, but it's definitely something that can be improved upon in 5 months.

Now that was amazing, the A.I looked good here to me. Whoa, the Missle launcher is the weapon of my dreams. Also, was that Japanese on the walls? Crazy Ken's still has control over the system:lol

Concept17 said:
I really hope they add some kind of knife kill to the game. Nothing is more satisfying. Hitting people with the backside of your gun just doesn't cut it.
Sincerely hope so.

Concept17

I really hope they add some kind of knife kill to the game. Nothing is more satisfying. Hitting people with the backside of your gun just doesn't cut it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Metalmurphy said:
Trends always make a comeback. It's the "new thing" at the moment. That's what I meant :p

You just haven't been following it then man, because it's always been a cause for concern. I never understood, because I always thought it was toned down, which turns out true anyways, which is GREAT news. I'm just saying you guys gotta stop accusing me or looking for ammo against the game. Like I said and AmMortal agrees, I've defended the game since reveal.

AmMortal said:
Now that was amazing, the A.I looked good here to me. Whoa, the Missle launcher is the weapon of my dreams. Also, was that Japanese on the walls? Crazy Ken's still has control over the system:lol

It looks so good! Watching it gets me all excited:lol. I love how one guy comes out of the background and he starts getting shot at, so he runs to the nearest cover, while his teammate is flanking and blindfiring. Looks like they'll be working together. Can' even imagine what the hardest difficulty will be like.

AmMortal

Banned
msdstc said:
It looks so good! Watching it gets me all excited:lol. I love how one guy comes out of the background and he starts getting shot at, so he runs to the nearest cover, while his teammate is flanking and blindfiring. Looks like they'll be working together. Can' even imagine what the hardest difficulty will be like.

So true:lol

ypo

msdstc said:
Here it is again. What are you suggesting... am I trolling? Am I bias? Like I said check the history man you're wrong.

Also if you've supposedly been following this you'd see that there was a stage demo where guerilla themselves said the AI was on normal and not toned down. Turns out it was just for that video, which we didn't see enough in to determine the AI anyways.

If you were not trolling then you were being purposely stubborn, stupid or whatever. If you want to cover your ears and refuse to listen to what was pointed out repeatedly then you were just being stupid.

Not that this matters now since you have come to your senses, but I was just pointing out why people responded to you the way they did.

AmMortal

Banned
Dever said:
Oh hell yeah, that definitely looked a lot better than most other KZ2 footage. Hype restored. :) I just wish they'd release 5 minutes of direct feed footage played by a developer without turning down the AI.

No, only a Demo will suffice.

ypo said:
If you are not trolling then you were being purposely stubborn, stupid or whatever. If you want to cover your ears and refuse to listen to what was pointed out repeatedly then you were just being stupid.

Not that this matters now since you have come to your senses, but I was just pointing out why people responded to you the way they did.

wat.

Rapping Granny said:
AHH FAWK, the producer of K2 is the same producer for Genji 2. SHIT TACO!

Kyle produces many of Sony's games. It really doesn't mean much. Hell, Naughty Dog mentioned at Developer 08 that they don't even have producers.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Am I the only person who doesnt really care about AI in a FPS? Most of the fun will be had online with other people. Even with 1p campaigns in FPS no matter how high the AI setting is, its always pretty easy imo compared to playing against a human. 1p mode on fps was always more of a way for me to get familiar with the different weapons and how the game works.

Im not making excuses for what may or may not be weak AI in this game, but I personally have never really given AI a second thought in a game like this. Id rather them put most of their efforts into the online multiplayer even if the 1p AI is nothing more than scarecrows. :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
ypo said:
If you were not trolling then you were being purposely stubborn, stupid or whatever. If you want to cover your ears and refuse to listen to what was pointed out repeatedly then you were just being stupid.

Oh bullshit. You're probably just one of them. I pointed out that the AI was flawed in the gamersyde video and you and all your friends came out crying "troll! troll! The graphics are fine now, you can't find anything else to pick on?! TROLL!" Like I said I wasn't the only one. You guys have this belief that there is a big anti-sony conspiracy out there... and while I agree there is some bias, not everyone it like that. Plenty of hands on impressions including snoopers (from GAF himself) said the AI was dumb. Plain and simple.

What I responded with was... yeah there is a few months left, but this isn't the time where you're supposed to be overhauling the whole AI system. You can polish and perfect it, but not redo the whole damn thing. Now is where you do beta testing and find any bugs and iron it all out.

Either way I've seen the actual AI in motion and the confusion of whether it was toned down or not has been cleared. I'm as hyped as ever, but wait why? Shouldn't I hate this game and find something else to pick on? Oh wait that's right... I'm not a troll.

AmMortal said:
No, only a Demo will suffice.

wat.

A demo would be incredible. The best demo even over uncharted back in the day.

Awntawn

haunts said:
Am I the only person who doesnt really care about AI in a FPS? Most of the fun will be had online with other people. Even with 1p campaigns in FPS no matter how high the AI setting is, its always pretty easy imo compared to playing against a human. 1p mode on fps was always more of a way for me to get familiar with the different weapons and how the game works.

Im not making excuses for what may or may not be weak AI in this game, but I personally have never really given AI a second thought in a game like this. Id rather them put most of their efforts into the online multiplayer even if the 1p AI is nothing more than scarecrows. :lol
When's the last time you played through a decent FPS campaign? Completely different experiences.

Doubledex

Banned
msdstc said:

Yeah, becaue "toned down" means "completely turned off".

AmMortal

Banned
msdstc said:
Oh bullshit. You're probably just one of them. I pointed out that the AI was flawed in the gamersyde video and you and all your friends came out crying "troll! troll! The graphics are fine now, you can't find anything else to pick on?! TROLL!" Like I said I wasn't the only one. You guys have this belief that there is a big anti-sony conspiracy out there... and while I agree there is some bias, not everyone it like that. Plenty of hands on impressions including snoopers (from GAF himself) said the AI was dumb. Plain and simple.

What I responded with was... yeah there is a few months left, but this isn't the time where you're supposed to be overhauling the whole AI system. You can polish and perfect it, but not redo the whole damn thing. Now is where you do beta testing and find any bugs and iron it all out.

Either way I've seen the actual AI in motion and the confusion of whether it was toned down or not has been cleared. I'm as hyped as ever, but wait why? Shouldn't I hate this game and find something else to pick on? Oh wait that's right... I'm not a troll.
:lol win

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Doubledex said:
Yeah, becaue "toned down" means "completely turned off".

I don't get what you're saying.

haunts said:

I can understand where you are coming from, a lot of people just play through single player to get into the multi player. But for me, a great single player is just as important as multiplayer, or at least some of the time (warhawk is a good example where it doesn't matter). I love single player campaigns though, because if you're not in the mood for online you can have a great story with some nice scenes and different areas to view. AI is definitely a major part of what makes campaigns work.

AmMortal

Banned
msdstc said:
I don't get what you're saying.

I can understand where you are coming from, a lot of people just play through single player to get into the multi player. But for me, a great single player is just as important as multiplayer, or at least some of the time (warhawk is a good example where it doesn't matter). I love single player campaigns though, because if you're not in the mood for online you can have a great story with some nice scenes and different areas to view. AI is definitely a major part of what makes campaigns work.

In my view, single player is what it's all about, that'll give you a " boost" on how you venture the game from there on out. which is why I didn't care about A.I because I'd be too busy watching the beauty of this game, then actually taking cover.

mr_nothin

Banned
msdstc said:

You keep saying that GG are saying that the AI is on normal (in that stage demo).
They didnt say anything about the AI being on normal. That's referring to the difficulty.

ypo

msdstc said:

A demo would be incredible. The best demo even over uncharted back in the day.

Oh so it's "you and your friend" type of argument now :lol So you were just being stupid I see. Just letting you know, there wasn't a need for an overhaul as the AI was toned down for the show, but you know you were being stubborn and stuff. You just wanted to assume for the worse despite the facts.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Awntawn said:
When's the last time you played through a decent FPS campaign? Completely different experiences.

Half Life 2 maybe? Resistance? I dunno.. been a while.. but I always play on the hardest level and it just seems like target practice to me..

msdstc said:

I can see that, and its not that the single player isnt fun or anything, but its just I think nothing really compares to playing an actual human. If you have good reflexes and good aim or whatever, most of the 1p campaigns have been relatively simple for me.

AmMortal

Banned
Seriously people?

Wouldn't you be watching the environment of this game, rather than paying attention to A.I or what was it a few months ago?.....textures..?

Whatever it is, you people love to argue, now, the guy obviously, gives you straight forward evidence that puts him in a better position to criticize, so let's stop this and enjoy the gifs.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
mr_nothin said:
You keep saying that GG are saying that the AI is on normal (in that stage demo).
They didnt say anything about the AI being on normal. That's referring to the difficulty.

I wasn't the one who brought it up during the argument... various people in the thread pointed it out to me that it wasn't toned down. I argued that it was similar to you guys (without bitching about them trolling), until they pointed me to the livewire stage demo. He said the AI and difficulty is set to normal in the video, which I wasn't judging anywas... I was judging the AI based on the gamersyde video and impressions from snoopers, which various people told me was not toned down. I continued to say in my posts well if it's not toned down we may have a problem, if it is it's fine.

ypo said:
Oh so it's "you and your friend" type of argument now :lol So you were just being stupid I see. Just letting you know, there wasn't a need for an overhaul as the AI was toned down for the show, but you know you were being stubborn and stuff. You just wanted to assume for the worse despite the facts.

edit- I wrote this wrong

No I mean the usual suspects. The ones who are so quick to call somebody a troll based on pointing out imperfections. I know now the AI was toned down, but due to several posters and a miscommunication in the livewire video, I was lead to believe it wasn't. I didn't want to assume the worst ass. This is seriously my most hyped game (next to LBP) of maybe all time. Since 05 I've been dying to see it, and now that we've seen it I'm dying to play it.

AmMortal said:
In my view, single player is what it's all about, that'll give you a " boost" on how you venture the game from there on out. which is why I didn't care about A.I because I'd be too busy watching the beauty of this game, then actually taking cover.

The beauty is half the appeal or maybe even more. It's almost surreal. I've wanted to play it just to see what it's like to control a game like this... it's like controlling a cgi movie ALMOST. I love single player though, there are so many sites to see and epic battles to be had

Doubledex said:
doesn't suprise me

Wah

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Madman said:
I think it's time to bail msdstc. Just let it go bro.

I'm just wondering though, do you understand where I'm coming from? Jeez they act is if I want this game to be bad. Why would I waste all my time in here then! I seriously can't wait for this one. GOTY 2009? Possibly.

AmMortal

Banned
msdstc said:
I'm just wondering though, do you understand where I'm coming from? Jeez they act is if I want this game to be bad. Why would I waste all my time in here then! I seriously can't wait for this one. GOTY 2009? Possibly.

PS3 exclusive.

yes, I am a crusher of dreams

:lol

Madman

msdstc said:
After what happened a few pages back, I definitely understand. Just leave it alone. It's a pointless battle.

Top Bottom