• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alias03

Iain Howe said:
That is fucking retarded. Perhaps we should start asking if any marketing is planned...

I am severely disappointed there is no collector's edition for Killzone 2. I thought this would be a no brainer for a game with this much hype going for it. This is a huge missed opportunity.

Schrade

Maybe they'll take the money they would have spent to make the Collector's Edition and put it into advertising...

ha ha...yeah right.

SolidSnakex said:
Why does a LE even matter? It really has nothing to do with how they'll market the game anyway.

It's a cool thing to give to the fans that have been following the game since E3 2005.

It also gives off the impression that a title is of great importance. Microsoft does CE's with all of their major games (Fable 2, Gears of War, Halo, etc).

Nintendo doesn't do CE's, but they're not necessarily going after the hardcore audience. Sony, however, IS going after a rather hardcore audience with Killzone 2. By not having a CE, it almost instills a lack of confidence in the title itself, which is really quite disappointing given how great the product has apparently shaped up to be.

Unless I'm missing something here -- do CE's lose companies more money than SE's? That really doesn't make much sense to me.

Shearie

Have Gamestop been giving out the demo codes already? I just reserved the game earlier today and the clerk told me they didn't have any.

Clinton514

SolidSnakex said:
Why does a LE even matter? It really has nothing to do with how they'll market the game anyway.
I consider it a pretty significant part of marketing. Not that this is an indication of how things will go in the coming weeks but I think peeps are right to be worried considering the mild marketing push behind some of "AAA" titles during this past holiday season.

This is not an attack against R2, but why can't KZ2 get the same treatment...a Helghast figurine at the least?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LEs are over rated, the money put into making a limited edition could be much better spent.

And hey, if they do have a making of film or something, maybe they'll release it for free rather than making the fans pay a premium.

Props to whoever it was that decided against the LE at Sony/GG.

alba

Little is the new Big
TTP said:
Funny thing is I have the KZ2 press kit right here that could easily work as a nice CE.

I demand someone to put one on ebay once the game comes out so i can snatch it :D
But seriously, this is so depressing :(

Rez>You said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo, nonononono no... just no.

Private Hoffman said:
By not having a CE, it almost instills a lack of confidence in the title itself, which is really quite disappointing given how great the product has apparently shaped up to be.

You really believe that?

gantz85

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
It's a cool thing to give to the fans that have been following the game since E3 2005.

It also gives off the impression that a title is of great importance. Microsoft does CE's with all of their major games (Fable 2, Gears of War, Halo, etc).

Nintendo doesn't do CE's, but they're not necessarily going after the hardcore audience. Sony, however, IS going after a rather hardcore audience with Killzone 2. By not having a CE, it almost instills a lack of confidence in the title itself, which is really quite disappointing given how great the product has apparently shaped up to be.

Unless I'm missing something here -- do CE's lose companies more money than SE's? That really doesn't make much sense to me.

This.

Releasing a CE by itself has a marketing effect.

It's possible CEs have a slimmer profit margin than SEs, but Sony, by not emulating the hardcore market leader Microsoft in its marketing tactics, is sticking their heads far too high up their asses.

Clinton514

Rez>You said:
LEs are over rated, the money put into making a limited edition could be much better spent.

And hey, if they do have a making of film or something, maybe they'll release it for free rather than making the fans pay a premium.

Free DLC...we wants :D

Snipes424

So I just finished listening to the hotspot and they had a caller saying that Killzone 2 was going to the 360....

I mean seriously, where do these people get their information, even kotaku isn't this bad.

Shadow780

Snipes424 said:
So I just finished listening to the hotspot and they had a caller saying that Killzone 2 was going to the 360....

I mean seriously, where do these people get their information, even kotaku isn't this bad.

I'm guess gamestop....

Bearillusion said:
You really believe that?

I believe so, yes. In the minds of consumers, having a CE gives off the appearance that a title is important or worthy enough to warrant its production. Some people may go "Hmm, this game has a CE? You know what, I've never really heard of Killzone 2 before, but apparently its a pretty big title...I'm going to go check it out and maybe I'll buy it"

Loudninja

Private Hoffman said:

Thats really silly,stop overacting.

Well guess I will finally pre-order it now. Damn I was really hoping for a artbook and steelbook case CE. :(

Not horribly unhappy but disappointed.

So thats marketing -1.

-1 no CE/LE
-5 Demo requires pre-order, not free to everyone tll after release
-10 Likely no commercials upfront

EDIT: None of these points necessarily hurt overall sales, but they do potentially hurt launch sales.

The game will likely sell very well over time and will debut with healthy sales but it had the potential for more. It seems clear that, like always, Sony has no interest in marketing up front. They tend to wait a month or two before doing anything big and continue small advertising for extended periods.

Schrade

Rez>You said:

I had a mention about you in my post that I deleted. I predicted you would come out in support of this, of course. I thought that it would stir things up again so I just deleted it in the hopes you would grow up. I'm sorry to say that your predictable post failed my hopes.

Shadow780

Private Hoffman said:
I believe so, yes. In the minds of consumers, having a CE gives off the appearance that a title is important or worthy enough to warrant its production. Some people may go "Hmm, this game has a CE? You know what, I've never really heard of Killzone 2 before, but apparently its a pretty big title...I'm going to go check it out and maybe I'll buy it"

I think regular consumers would just settle for regular edition, it's the enthusiasts that are willing to pay more for their purchase...

Rez>You said:

And you think Sony is going to put that money to good use? Yeah right. Damnit i'm pissed. Why doesnt Sony want my extra 20-30 dollars?

Chalk another one up in the list of stupid Sony decisions this gen. That list is probably over 9000 by now.

I'd put a laughing smiley at the end of that last statement, but even juvenile humor cant help in a situation so FUBAR.

Shadow780 said:
I think regular consumers would just settle for regular edition, it's the enthusiasts that are willing to pay more for their purchase...

That's not my point though...

Even if they get the regular edition, that's a sale.

The CE is a marketing tactic which gives a title a sense of presence and importance, and it also gives a title two different faces on retail shelves.

The presence of a CE may perk someone's interest if they haven't even heard about the title before. Consumers think the product is important, therefore they'll research it a bit more and see if it's for them.

There's not that affect with just a regular SE.

iamcool388 said:
And you think Sony is going to put that money to good use? Yeah right. Damnit i'm pissed. Why doesnt Sony want my extra 20-30 dollars?

Chalk another one up in the list of stupid Sony decisions this gen. That list is probably over 9000 by now.

I'd put a laughing smiley at the end of that last statement, but even juvenile humor cant help in a situation so FUBAR.

I'll do it for you. :D

iamcool388 said:
Chalk another one up in the list of stupid Sony decisions this gen. That list is probably over 9000 by now. :lol

Just re-watch the IGN videos, makes the pain go away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Schrade said:
I had a mention about you in my post that I deleted. I predicted you would come out in support of this, of course. I thought that it would stir things up again so I just deleted it in the hopes you would grow up. I'm sorry to say that your predictable post failed my hopes.
wait, so me stating opinion (LEs suck), is some kind of trolling? Me congratulating Sony and GG on a sensible move is uncalled for? What the fuck is your problem, did I eat one of your babies in another life?

LEs suck. I'd rather see the thousands of dollars invested in the LE process put toward advertising, but apparently I'm in the minority.

EDIT: fixed up some shitty grammar, added a sentence (I was posting from my iPhone before).

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Rez>You said:
wait, so me stating opinion (LEs suck), is some kind of trolling. Me congratulating Sony and gg on a sensible move is uncalled for? What the fuck is your problem, did I eat one of your babies in another life?

In my opinion, whether it's trolling or not, you're utterly wrong.

DSC00251-1.jpg

Never forget
still have this myself at home woo

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Iain Howe said:
In my opinion, whether it's trolling or not, you're utterly wrong.
I understand the point of view, it's nice to give fans a pat on the back and say "thanks for supporting us", but honestly they're usually over priced, and don't have anything that is truly worth while. Although maybe I'm just bitter from some of Ubisoft LEs that just plain sucked.

Alias03

Well now with no LE coming I pray Sony/Guerrilla put out something like Raising the Bar book for HL2. That would be awesome and I just love looking at KZ artwork. That would make me less disappointed about no LE. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
spoon! said:
Are you saying the premiums on a LE doesn't increase the margins they make on a game? o_O
Assuming every copy gets sold, I'm sure they do. But from experience, I usually see a hell of a lot of LEs sitting on store shelves after launch, but then I live in Australia, the market isn't exactly booming here.

And for the record, I didn't post anything inflammatory. How did this turn into an everybody attack me situation!? Jesus.

CrushDance said:
Wow. Sony fails again at marketing a game, when will these guys get a damn clue!?

They actually got a 2.5D platformer to sell in a generation where the platforming genre is essentially dead outside of Mario. So they're a bit better than people give them credit for.

SolidSnakex said:
They actually got a 2.5D platformer to sell in a generation where the platforming genre is essentially dead outside of Mario. So they're a bit better than people give them credit for.

This speaks more to the brilliance of Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet than it does to Sony's Marketing department... :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
untoldhero said:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/darknight88/DSC00251-1.jpg[IMG]
Never forget [spoiler]still have this myself at home woo[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I like how it's pretty much the same as the US KZ2 boxart.

Schrade

Rez>You said:
And for the record, I didn't post anything inflammatory. How did this turn into an everybody attack me situation!? Jesus.
Because you are predictable. You're like that K-Fedish guy who used to work for 1UP (Shawn Elliot). Always trying to be devil's advocate just to stir things up.

Alias03

Rez>You said:
Assuming every copy gets sold, I'm sure they do. But from experience, I usually see a hell of a lot of LEs sitting on store shelves after launch, but then I live in Australia, the market isn't exactly booming here.

I can see where your coming from in a certain way, but you almost have to expect the replies you receive if you continuously kick somebody when their down. Now what I thought you said wasn't all that harmful but it seems to me through out this thread you've been less than stellar when it comes to making your point in a positive or non confrontational way. It's obvious that many people were expecting/excited for a possible LE and if you come in saying in a round about way your glad its not coming. People are bound to get sensitive.

lupinko

gantz85 said:
Sony marketing sucks.

Is this news?

Uncharted
LittleBigPlanet
Resistance 2
Killzone 2

The list goes on and will go on.

Uncharted didn't get anything, but Resistance 2 had a full Limited Edition sku, and LBP at least had various special preorder goods (Nariko/God of War costumes, stickers, burlap pouch, guide, etc.).

RPS37

I'm glad there won't be a CE. After last year, I don't want to be tempted to spend any more extra money on games.
Maybe the main game will still be full of extras a la Uncharted. The extras in that game are awesome.

Dementia

Rez>You said:
I understand the point of view, it's nice to give fans a pat on the back and say "thanks for supporting us", but honestly they're usually over priced, and don't have anything that is truly worth while. Although maybe I'm just bitter from some of Ubisoft LEs that just plain sucked.
You, and I'm sure most consumers may not think that a CE is worth it in terms of monetary value, but I think it's undeniable that CE's are a good marketing tactic in themselves. They make a game stand out as a AAA title and seem more important to your average consumer, and, as PrivateHoffman said, increase the game's shelf presence, which can never hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom