• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Private Hoffman said:
It's an exclusive PS3 game and David Ellis.

You do the math.

The amount of hyperbole he'll spew over Gears meanwhile downplaying the SHIT out of Killzone 2 is just completely disgusting.

Sites need to get rid of people like that,actually tell their writers that if they can't be professional about the game they talk and even worst to not show any bias toward other games,they should not be there working.

After the Resistance 1 and GOW comment of Resistance suck because all we want to do is play GOW.if i were Sony i would have black them out,one thing is making something like what Eidos did and Gamespo with Kain and Lynch,which every one agree it sucked,but another is trying to downplay a game that almost every one and their mother thinks is great,if i were sony i would stop any add on 1up and simply just stop sending them things for reviews,because is out of hands now on 1UP the place is so pro MS is not even funny.

JimiNutz

Banned
After listening to this weeks 1UP Yours, and hearing what they had to say about the recoil of the weapons, I was wondering whether KZ2 features any semi-automatic weapons?
I used to play GRAW quite a lot and would always tick my guns on semi-auto if I had the option because it increased their accuracy over long distances.
I don't think the recoil is gonna be a problem for me since I usually shoot in small bursts anyway but I was just wondering if there are any semi auto rifles.

Snipes424

NutJobJim said:
After listening to this weeks 1UP Yours, and hearing what they had to say about the recoil of the weapons, I was wondering whether KZ2 features any semi-automatic weapons?
I used to play GRAW quite a lot and would always tick my guns on semi-auto if I had the option because it increased their accuracy over long distances.
I don't think the recoil is gonna be a problem for me since I usually shoot in small bursts anyway but I was just wondering if there are any semi auto rifles.

I personally have not had any problems with the recoil with any gun, the game feels great.

The 1up people need to play Day of Defeat source before bitching about KZ2 recoil.

JimiNutz

Banned
Snipes424 said:
I personally have not had any problems with the recoil with any gun, the game feels great.

The 1up people need to play Day of Defeat source before bitching about KZ2 recoil.

I don't want to turn this into an argument about recoil, they said you get used to it anyway, I was wondering whether there are semi auto weapons since I prefer using them.
Do you have an answer to my question?

gantz85

Banned
I wonder why the strong disconnect between so many high praises on Neogaf by GAFers about KZ2's control and gameplay, and 1UP's conversation about KZ2. I don't know if the multitude of praises are from Sony shills or whatever, but I am more curious about the opinion of the 1UP Staff.

If they do generally agree with GAF opinions, then they should make sure that their conversations reflect that. Sure, covering the weak points of games is a reasonable venture but when conversation becomes concentrated on a particular point the impression it gives off has a large gap from the impression intended.

But knowing Garnett and David, they'll just look at the posts here as whiny Sony baby fanboys and pull off another shitty joke: *drunk accent* "Hey look, this is a PS3 game so I couldn't have given it a good result LOL LOL LOL". Obnoxious.

Anyways, KZ2 must stand on its own come February. If it is quality, it should tell. Sony need to get their PR and media-agencies handling work spot-on.

gantz85 said:
I wonder why the strong disconnect between so many high praises on Neogaf by GAFers about KZ2's control and gameplay, and 1UP's conversation about KZ2. I don't know if the multitude of praises are from Sony shills or whatever, but I am more curious about the opinion of the 1UP Staff.

If they do generally agree with GAF opinions, then they should make sure that their conversations reflect that. Sure, covering the weak points of games is a reasonable venture but when conversation becomes concentrated on a particular point the impression it gives off has a large gap from the impression intended.

But knowing Garnett and David, they'll just look at the posts here as whiny Sony baby fanboys and pull off another shitty joke: *drunk accent* "Hey look, this is a PS3 game so I couldn't have given it a good result LOL LOL LOL". Obnoxious.

Anyways, KZ2 must stand on its own come February. If it is quality, it should tell. Sony need to get their PR and media-agencies handling work spot-on.

Well 1ups impressions seemed mixed but you can easily find 20+ other sites with very positive previews and countless player impressions. After watching it I felt like they were somewhat confused because it wasn't a COD4 clone and I think alot of people expected that. (Me included at first)

I think 1up is reserving their opinion, maybe just to play it more. As February gets closer I expect alot of these bigger sites to slowly make up their minds. No one site like to jump and say "OMG ITS PERFECT" or "CRAP IT SUCKS" because it doesn't look good if they fall in the minority.

KZObsessed

90 hours in now :p

Tried going back to rifle and shotgun after so long playing as sniper. I was awful. Need more practice.

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing about the game, when I play a lot with one weapon it takes a while to get back to my best with another. Or maybe it's just me. :p

edit: actually just won a game with the standard rifle. :D

It's just the shotgun I suck with now, which I havn't used since the first beta so that will probably explain it. :p

JimiNutz

Banned
FFObsessed said:
90 hours in now :p

Tried going back to rifle and shotgun after so long playing as sniper. I was awful. Need more practice.

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing about the game, when I play a lot with one weapon it takes a while to get back to my best with another. Or maybe it's just me. :p

It's probably a good thing. I suppose it's like switching between cars in GT, each one handles differently and you need to get used to that. At least it'll make all the guns feel very different.

You seem to play the game a lot so could you answer my question. Does it feature any semi-automatic rifles?

Is the cloak in this game limited? Also is it completely invisible or something like a Halo or Predator cloak? Also, 1 shot body kills with snipe?

gantz85 said:

You can find many other sites that love it just as much if not more than posters here. The people that don't seem too fond of it seem to wish it played like existing FPS. I think the biggest issue is that most FPS still control like you aren't actually controlling a person. There's no body weight taken into account for the character movement. So when a games come along, like a Mirror's Edge or in this case Killzone 2, the controls are questioned. You've got some that can adjust to those controls and others that never will.

KZObsessed

NutJobJim said:
It's probably a good thing. I suppose it's like switching between cars in GT, each one handles differently and you need to get used to that. At least it'll make all the guns feel very different.

You seem to play the game a lot so could you answer my question. Does it feature any semi-automatic rifles?

Yep theres a semi automatic rifle for the Saboteur class. StA14 Rifle. It's what I use with that class.

The light machine guns also have pretty much no recoil in short bursts.

JimiNutz

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Yep theres a semi automatic rifle for the Saboteur class. StA14 Rifle. It's what I use with that class.

The light machine guns also have pretty much no recoil in short bursts.

Oh that's pretty good to know. I was liking the look of the Saboteur class anyway :D

Melfice7

I unlocked saboteur class yesterday and i take back the bad things i said about them :D it's so much fun walking around enemies with them clueless that im aiming at their heads
33bg8m1.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
Melfice7 said:
I unlocked saboteur class yesterday and i take back the bad things i said about them :D it's so much fun walking around enemies with them clueless that im aiming at their heads
33bg8m1.jpg

I hatehatehate saboteurz!!!
angry.gif

Melfice7 said:
33bg8m1.jpg

:lol

Sounds like so much fun. Do you fire off shots at your teammates to appear as if your on their side? :D

Melfice7

^ No im pretty sure teammates see me without disguise

o nvm i misread, no i dont do it lol, all i gotta do is try to keep out of enemies crosshair because it turns red if they aim at me and im busted

Melfice7 said:

Same here. I am generally pretty good at spotting saboteurs but it seems that a lot of people aren't. I love hearing the cries of dismay as I assassinate a target or tear apart their defence from behind!!

Calcaneus

Tormentoso said:
Sites need to get rid of people like that,actually tell their writers that if they can't be professional about the game they talk and even worst to not show any bias toward other games,they should not be there working.

After the Resistance 1 and GOW comment of Resistance suck because all we want to do is play GOW.if i were Sony i would have black them out,one thing is making something like what Eidos did and Gamespo with Kain and Lynch,which every one agree it sucked,but another is trying to downplay a game that almost every one and their mother thinks is great,if i were sony i would stop any add on 1up and simply just stop sending them things for reviews,because is out of hands now on 1UP the place is so pro MS is not even funny.
Are you serious? Sony should black them out for not being completely positive about their games?

the_prime_mover said:
Same here. I am generally pretty good at spotting saboteurs but it seems that a lot of people aren't. I love hearing the cries of dismay as I assassinate a target or tear apart their defence from behind!!

I think most people don't bother looking for them. So that makes it easier for them to sneak up on people.

SolidSnakex said:
I think most people don't bother looking for them. So that makes it easier for them to sneak up on people.

That is true, and hopefully it will remain true throughout the game's life, though playing this beta has taught me a lot about how to play fps games online and I know I am a lot more observant now than I was before this game. I will hopefully make it up to scout today!

It will be unfortunate that all of our stats will probably be erased at the end of the beta, but it shouldn't take to long to get all of the classes unlocked again.

I am not in the GAF clan atm but I would like to be in there once the game goes retail if there is room. I am not awesome, but I am a good medic and saboteur (I think).

the_prime_mover said:
I am not awesome, but I am a good medic and saboteur (I think).

I think if the beta is any indication of how the final game will be, then medics are going to be the most valued class in the game. It doesn't seem like many people like using them for whatever reason. But they're extremely valuable (especially in assassination mode).

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
I think if the beta is any indication of how the final game will be, then medics are going to be the most valued class in the game. It doesn't seem like many people like using them for whatever reason. But they're extremely valuable (especially in assassination mode).

Playing as a medic is all the quickest way to rack up points, unless you have the bodycount badge. :p

SSM25

jett said:
Playing as a medic is all the quickest way to rack up points, unless you have the bodycount badge. :p

What are the advantages of having a medic?, does reviving someone reflect in points for the team or something?.

Click

Banned
This recent David Ellis crap is just another example of how untrustworthy gaming review sites have become the past decade. They allow hacks like Ellis to spew their biased bullshit time and time again. The sad part is, casual gamers and fanboys eat this shit up and actually believe in their reviews/impressions.

It was fun being part of the 1UP Show thread.... drawing out all the Xbots and PS3/Sony haters was so easy. It just kills them to see people call out their beloved 1UP crew and prove how pathetically wrong that scrub was. It kills them even more that PS3 will have yet another great exclusive coming in less than 3 months and they can't do anything to dampen the hype this time.

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
I hatehatehate saboteurz!!!
angry.gif
Me too. I'd like to see some other visual indicator that tips you off their presence. I'm always too late... but on the off chance that I do pick one off, it's so goddamn satisfying.
I wish I could rank up faster because I'm getting bored of the same two weapons over and over again.

The Helghast assault rifle is relatively worthless too imo .... i see no reason to ever use it over the ISA assault rifle.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
Me too. I'd like to see some other visual indicator that tips you off their presence. I'm always too late... but on the off chance that I do pick one off, it's so goddamn satisfying.
I wish I could rank up faster because I'm getting bored of the same two weapons over and over again.

The Helghast assault rifle is relatively worthless too imo .... i see no reason to ever use it over the ISA assault rifle.

I love killing saboteurz.
angry.gif

I like the green dot so I stick with the ISA rifle all the time, I think it's like the best weapon I've used for a LONG time, it feels right, has great weight, it's accurate both in zoom and from the hip.

The more videos I watch, the more concerned I become about "hip fire" accuracy. It seems way too accurate at medium distances (at least with the standard assault rifle).

I've wondered why more people in videos don't actually aim, and the answer apparently is that there's no good reason to (other than perhaps conserving a few bullets).

JB1981

My Arms Your Hearse said:
The more videos I watch, the more concerned I become about "hip fire" accuracy. It seems way too accurate at medium distances (at least with the standard assault rifle).

I've wondered why more people in videos don't actually aim, and the answer apparently is that there's no good reason to (other than perhaps conserving a few bullets).

shooting from the hip is not easy but at medium distance using the iron sights puts you at great risk .. it takes longer to transition to the iron sights than it does to try and put someone down from the hip ... i think it's pretty balanced ... hard to judge how a game feels from videos

Kittonwy

Banned

At medium accuracy it's perfect, don't forget that you do have more recoil from the hip so your cross hair will jump quite a bit, you have to aim from the hip still, if someone has crouch and has a steady aim on you in zoom you WILL lose.

Any less accurate you'll get into a situation where both players are shooting at each other and you really don't know if you're really connecting with your shots and the whole shootout becomes a complete clusterfuck which is what happened with the carbine in R2.

People DO aim from the hip, I do that ALL THE TIME, you HAVE to because of the recoil.

Then aiming needs to be sped up/fixed. A game shouldn't reward mindlessly holding down a button while pointing in a general direction.

Uhh, that's exactly what Ellis was complaining about on 1up about the game not allowing him to do.

Kittonwy

Banned
Then aiming needs to be sped up/fixed. A game shouldn't reward mindlessly holding down a button while pointing in a general direction.

You're not mindlessly holding down a button, you'll miss if you just hold down R1. Let's not fucking pretend like you know exactly how the aiming is in the beta because you really don't. Right now it's at a point where hip shooting at short to medium range works REALLY well, but medium to long you have to zoom and you can dominate at those distances, and if you're in zoom and someone is closing in you're in trouble, it's at a really sweet spot right now. If you want to argue you need to get some real hands-on experience with the beta instead of resorting to things based on what you think you see because you don't see the input by the player in a video. You don't want people to circle each other while in zoom, because it's very awkward, and if hip shooting gets less accurate it will fuck up the player knowing he's hitting what he's aiming at in close-up encounters and you'll end up with every close-up shoot-outs being a clusterfuck with neither player really knowing who's getting the upperhand.

SolidSnakex said:
Uhh, that's exactly what Ellis was complaining about on 1up about the game not allowing him to do.

I'm sorry, I have no flipping clue what you're talking about.

I'm simply basing my comment off the reply I got.

I also don't really get Kitton's argument. You have to aim from the hip because of recoil, yet recoil is way worse when aiming from the hip?

Also, you can't tell if you're hitting someone if you don't shoot from the hip? What? Seems like a problem with the game code that should be fixed. But you know... generally, I KNOW when I have the sights on someone or not. But that may just be me...

Or perhaps you mean that, when shooting from the hip, you are unsure as to whether or not you're hitting the other person (unless it's super accurate). To that I say... AWESOME. You shouldn't really know. Because you're not really trying. You're just holding down a button hoping the game algorithm favors you and more of your shots land before the other guy. Someone aiming at you should be at an advantage.

Kittonwy said:
You're not mindlessly holding down a button, you'll miss if you just hold down R1. Let's not fucking pretend like you know exactly how the aiming is in the beta because you really don't. Right now it's at a point where hip shooting at short to medium range works REALLY well, but medium to long you have to zoom and you can dominate at those distances, and if you're in zoom and someone is closing in you're in trouble, it's at a really sweet spot right now. If you want to argue you need to get some real hands-on experience with the beta instead of resorting to things based on what you think you see because you don't see the input by the player in a video. You don't want people to circle each other while in zoom, because it's very awkward, and if hip shooting gets less accurate it will fuck up the player knowing he's hitting what he's aiming at in close-up encounters and you'll end up with every close-up shoot-outs being a clusterfuck with neither player really knowing who's getting the upperhand.

What?

You don't really know no matter what. Because you're blindly firing. Not aiming. I mean it's called "spray and pray" for a reason.

Though really, shouldn't you see the BLOOD coming out of them either way if you're actually hitting them?

Kittonwy

Banned
I'm sorry, I have no flipping clue what you're talking about.

I'm simply basing my comment off the reply I got.

I also don't really get Kitton's argument. You have to aim from the hip because of recoil, yet recoil is way worse when aiming from the hip?

Also, you can't tell if you're hitting someone if you don't shoot from the hip? What? Seems like a problem with the game code that should be fixed. But you know... generally, I KNOW when I have the sights on someone or not. But that may just be me...

Or perhaps you mean that, when shooting from the hip, you are unsure as to whether or not you're hitting the other person (unless it's super accurate). To that I say... AWESOME. You shouldn't really know. Because you're not really trying. You're just holding down a button hoping the game algorithm favors you and more of your shots land before the other guy. Someone aiming at you should be at an advantage.

When your crosshair is on someone while shooting from the hip, you WILL hit him. Keeping your crosshair on the other person from the hip is NOT as easy as you think, with zoom you get a more steady shot. Right now when you're aiming at someone you KNOW you're able to hit him as long as you can keep your crosshair on him, but the longer you hold R1, the more the recoil is going to knock that crosshair off. Decreasing the accuracy anymore than what they have already will fuck things up royally.

Kittonwy

Banned
What?

You don't really know no matter what. Because you're blindly firing. Not aiming. I mean it's called "spray and pray" for a reason.

Though really, shouldn't you see the BLOOD coming out of them either way if you're actually hitting them?

You're not blindfiring from the hip. You have an accurate crosshair when firing from the hip. What you have on your crosshair your bullets will hit, but the longer you hold R1, the more the recoil will move your crosshair.

There is no spray and pray at all whatsoever in Killzone 2, you hit what you aim at as long as you manage your recoil, and yes blood comes out.

How unfortunate. Maybe this will work better in action than it sounds... but it sounds fucking awful.

It sounds like everyone is running around with a MP5 w/ steady aim. The height of skill!

Actually, now that I think about it, it might just be a misconception on my part.

I had assumed the aiming in KZ2 worked like a Shadowrun/COD4/BF:BC where bullets hit in a spread pattern (that is highly inaccurate non-zoomed). Not like a Halo or Unreal where every bullet is precisely accurate to the target reticule (zoomed or not).

Which seems oddly out of place considering how the rest of the game works.

Melfice7

Kittonwy said:
I think I get points for throwing health packs at people as well and ribbons.

About that, is there other way to heal yourself without having to throw the health pack? if there is im a noob :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom