• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 stand alone multiplayer on US PSN next week (All maps, free w/ level cap)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I read somewhere that KZ was also coming to the Vita. Does this mean that the MP in the Vita version of Killzone will follow the same model as well?

That would be fucking awesome. I would get a Vita only to play KZ multiplayer on campus, airports, etc.

Vandiger

I'd be interested in KZ3 online, if they added more operations maps. I found most of the maps were mediocre compared to KZ2. I rarely if ever play deathmatch or teamdeath match, KDR is pointless to me. KZ2-3 online combo on vita would be nice though, quick matches on the go.

I read somewhere that KZ was also coming to the Vita. Does this mean that the MP in the Vita version of Killzone will follow the same model as well?

That would be fucking awesome. I would get a Vita only to play KZ multiplayer on campus, airports, etc.

I'd have to imagine most of the Sony properties will be on Vita.

Dibbz

I'd be interested in KZ3 online, if they added more operations maps. I found most of the maps were mediocre compared to KZ2. I rarely if ever play deathmatch or teamdeath match, KDR is pointless to me. KZ2-3 online combo on vita would be nice though, quick matches on the go.

Killzone's MP is not suited for "on the go". The TDM side sure but warzone is what KZ is all about. No doubt it will come to Vita but it's probably going to be tailored to short burst type gameplay.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
free to play, with an option to buy.

practically a demo that you can actually play with other people :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hopefully it'll do the MAG thing and not add achievements to your list without your consent for downloading it for free to try out, unlike Free Realms. :|

Raonak

Banned
Thats a really good idea.

In my perfect world:
-Game Disk comes with SP mode and MP mode
-Comes with Online Pass.

-Need to activate online pass to play MP mode
-If you activated the online pass, you can download the MP mode.

this way, you avoid the problem of people sharing the disk and everyone downloading the online mode for free. (since theres only 1 online pass)
And It would make online passes a somewhat benefit to the consumer and still stomp out used games.

kevm3

Great idea. I liked Killzone 3 50 times more than part 2, so hopefully the community is still active. I hope this includes the dlc maps.

That's awesome, I already have the game but this will surely increase the install base significantly. Mp is excellent for those on the fence, much better than kz2. Man I need to clear my backlog so I can play this and U3 without guilt.

renzengeki

Neo Member
this is really nice but i'm wondering what will happen to my character? i used to play killzone 3 but i already sold the game. will i still have the unlocks that i have before?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
this is really nice but i'm wondering what will happen to my character? i used to play killzone 3 but i already sold the game. will i still have the unlocks that i have before?

Stats are stored server-side so yeah I guess so.

Good Idea, Bad Game

I wouldn't lie to anyone here.
KZ3 mutliplayer is terrible, imo.

Now kz2. That was multiplayer fun at its greatest. Still is!

*High-five*

Tried multiple times to get into KZ3's MP after the SP was such a dissapointment and just couldn't do it

Shtof

This is pure genius, maybe single player and multi player will split up later down the road. I'm really tired of paying for multi player I don't play.

Also, I have a PS Move and some months of experience, hoping to kill some noobs next week.

tusken77

With this (brilliant) move, I'm guessing Killzone Vita is perhaps closer than we think.

ThankeeSai

What a great idea this is.

I really hope we start seeing other FPS games taking this approach. I hardly ever finish the campaign of any FPS game I play. I, like many others I would assume, just jump straight into MP. The campaign barely gets a look in.

For example, the only FPS that I've fully completed from all the CoD and BF games combined was CoD4 (and even then, I had owned the game for about 2 years or so before I finally got around to completing it).

FPS campaigns just don't really interest me that much....The Halo games are the only exceptions I can think of.

If other games offered multiplayer only at some sort of reduced rate like this, I'd be all over it.

Dyno

Nice! Getting a boost of noobs is just what the community needs!

I loved KZ3 MP! It's still the most cinematic of the FPS out there. I forget what the game mode is called but they string up to seven matches in a row on a big battlefield. It's great because you end up playing for a solid forty minutes to an hour. Then you're in the lobby for a couple minutes and then it's back into the big game. You spend a lot more time playing than other MPs.

The classes are quite good too and the unlock system is simple but fun. Each class ends up getting pretty useful and elite eventually. Also the maps are good and the added extras like gun emplacements, digital disguise, cloaking and robot assistants give the game it's own vibe.

Looking foward to getting more play in.

Great move.

I mean, Killzone is shit, but still, if it's successful hopefully this will become more widespread with better games!

I'm going to download it just to add to the number who did.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2012-02-24_kz3-multiplayer.html

To celebrate Killzone 3’s first anniversary, we’re releasing a standalone version of the game’s online component on the PlayStation Store next week. Dubbed Killzone 3 Multiplayer, it will include the Guerrilla Warfare, Warzone and Operations game modes, as well as the original Killzone 3 maps AND all Killzone 3 DLC maps.

Best of all, Killzone 3 Multiplayer is free to try – you can play any of the maps and modes until you reach the rank of Sergeant I. If you want to keep playing, attain higher ranks, and earn any of Killzone 3 Multiplayer’s four exclusive new trophies, you can unlock the full version for only $15 (UK/EU price TBA). Doing so will net you a 24-hour double XP bonus, 3 free unlock points, the ability to set up clans and custom games, and access to the Botzone mode to help hone your combat skills.

For those who already own Killzone 3 (or decide to purchase the full version of Killzone 3 Multiplayer), we have another anniversary treat: next weekend will be a Double XP Weekend! Starting on Friday, March 2 at 17:00 PM UK time, and lasting until Monday, March 5 at 10:00 AM UK time, all XP earned in online Killzone 3 matches will be doubled. The trial version of Killzone 3 Multiplayer will be excluded from the Double XP Weekend, of course – we wouldn’t want you to hit that Sergeant I rank too quickly...

Duffyside

Banned
What does the "AND all Killzone 3 DLC maps" mean for people who have the full game already?

Will i be given all the full DLC maps for free since i have the full game already? Or only for those who download the online mode only?

I also came here to find an answer to this question.

Massa

As have I, but i wouldnt be suprised if they didnt give it to us. They didnt state it so probably not

I don't think they will. It's probably worth paying $15 to get the DLC maps and the multiplayer on the HD instead of buying the add-ons for the disc version now.

I wonder what happens with people that have exceeded that rank already?

With MAG you were able to play as much as you wanted, and if you bought the game you were able to spend the points you earned past the maximum free rank. With KZ3 it seems you simply won't be able to play anymore.

I was NOT expecting them to include all the DLC, that is AWESOME.

I'm gonna buy this, even though I already own all the DLC and the game itself, because I want an extra 24 hours of double XP, and the 3 unlock points will make my total unused unlock points to 27.

Plus, since 80% of the current Kz3 players already play on the DLC GG won't really be losing much money anyway.

Can't wait for the next double XP weekend. I'm close to 7.5 million XP, gonna cross that line next weekend!

Edit: Just looked up Seargent I, and it is Rank 10 like I thought, so that gives you 10 unlock points to spread around. Honestly, why WOULDN'T you buy this?

Killzone 3 is the best multiplayer FPS of all time. If you disagree, frankly you're wrong, and I pity you.

AEREC

This is a cool idea...but if it does take off then Im afraid we will be seeing less and less singleplayer campaigns if thats the case.

Anyways I couldnt get into the KZ3 MP like I did with KZ2 but I guess Ill be trying ait agin now (wonder if my level will be lowered if Im already over the cap).

If they took KZ2's class system and speed and KZ3's matchmaking then that would be perfect.

Apeopleman

Killzone 3 is the best multiplayer FPS of all time. If you disagree, frankly you're wrong, and I pity you.

easy there bro, there's alot of Killzone 3 haters, :p

I agree with you still. At the core; the weapons and class balance and gunplay is awesome, much better than KZ2 with poor class balance, only 2 useful overpowered competitive classes (tactician and enginner with the m82, spawn grenades and overpowered shotgun and bots). Soldier, medic and saboteur were near useless and assault was usually banned

Owzers

great to see Sony trying things, I liked killzone 3 online apart from the annoying spy class. I'll give the game another try.

BibiMaghoo

I don't think they will. It's probably worth paying $15 to get the DLC maps and the multiplayer on the HD instead of buying the add-ons for the disc version now.

With MAG you were able to play as much as you wanted, and if you bought the game you were able to spend the points you earned past the maximum free rank. With KZ3 it seems you simply won't be able to play anymore.

As I previously owned the game but no longer have it, and did exceed that rank, would that not mean as a paying customer, I cannot play the free version at all?

That would be very disapointing if thats the case....

Dibbz

They really should just let people keep playing after the hit the level cap. There are enough advantages to make people buy the game through the unlocks alone.

Top Bottom