• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 stand alone multiplayer on US PSN next week (All maps, free w/ level cap)

ironcreed

Banned
Hell of an idea and I hope it pays off. As far as the KZ3 multiplayer goes, I had a blast with it for what time I played it. I have just been in that FPS multiplayer burnout stage for awhile, but I may jump back into this at some point. Doubt I will any time soon, though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Killzone 3 is the best multiplayer FPS of all time. If you disagree, frankly you're wrong, and I pity you.

0382_s7tr.gif

Wonder what happens in my situation: I had the game, got higher than rank 10, and then sold it.

If I download this and log in, does it access the account I already had? And if so, what rank am I?

Dibbz

Wonder what happens in my situation: I had the game, got higher than rank 10, and then sold it.

If I download this and log in, does it access the account I already had? And if so, what rank am I?

I would guess it would see you rank. Probably best of creating a new account and playing on that just to check out the new maps etc.

Rikyfree

Thats a really good idea.

In my perfect world:
-Game Disk comes with SP mode and MP mode
-Comes with Online Pass.

-Need to activate online pass to play MP mode
-If you activated the online pass, you can download the MP mode.

this way, you avoid the problem of people sharing the disk and everyone downloading the online mode for free. (since theres only 1 online pass)
And It would make online passes a somewhat benefit to the consumer and still stomp out used games.

You, sir.... I like the cut of your jib.

godnorazi

Banned
i cant get used to the controls in killzone3 no matter how much i practice... its not an issue of gamepads since i play Halo3/Reach on the 360 and MW on the PS3 just fine. its like the sensitivity acceleration on the sticks have some sort of delay with killzone3... also the melee animation takes sooooo freaking long... half my deaths came during a melee animation i was performing

njean777

I was going to get offended, then I realized you probably thinks CoD has good MP. So I started laughing.

Now I just kinda pity you.

Regarless, KZ3 mp is not "mid tier" in any way, shape or form.

COD does have good MP, there is a reason it is popular. COD still has the best feel/mechanics of most other mp player shooters. The only ones that come even close is BF3/CS/TF2. Its sad, but true.

So...4 people think it was the best then? Who cares.

Seriously compared to 2, 3 was awful, biggest disappointment of 2011.

Agree completely. KZ3 was so imbalanced and just outright a rush job compared to 2. I didnt mind the control change, but the fact that anybody can have c4 was really stupid in my opinion, totally ruined the point of having good saboteurs on your team.

COD does have good MP, there is a reason it is popular. COD still has the best feel/mechanics of most other mp player shooters. The only ones that come even close is BF3/CS/TF2. Its sad, but true.

I don't think that's a very good reasoning. COD is popular because it's accessible, that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. For example, I wouldn't put CoD even in same league as Counter-Strike.

KalBalboa

Banned
Killzone 3's multiplayer was some of the best I've ever played, so I look forward to getting a bunch of my friends into it now with this free-to-start idea.

I approve, Sony. I approve.

This is a nice idea. I just hope it makes more people play KZ2 though; my shotgun is looking for some new blood; almost at 26 days of online play.

If anyone from GAF ever wants to play, PSN: TheUsurp

AndyD

aka andydumi
Should be mandatory for all games that have sp and mp

Not the case here, but this should be possible for every game with a Network Pass. That way you can have it tied to account and always availabloe to hop on and play without disc swaps.

Also, any news on whether existing MP saves will work? Those who already unlocked a lot of stuff and are higher level? Or will it work if we own the gaem already?

Not the case here, but this should be possible for every game with a Network Pass. That way you can have it tied to account and always availabloe to hop on and play without disc swaps.

Also, any news on whether existing MP saves will work? Those who already unlocked a lot of stuff and are higher level? Or will it work if we own the gaem already?

MP data is saved server side.

I loved KZ3 multiplayer, largely due to the excellent move controls.

This was the game that convinced me that pointer controls >>> thumbsticks for shooters. I get the backlash it got over changing the formula that a lot of people liked in KZ2, but for me personally, it's possibly my favorite MP FPS this gen.

I might play this again for free. bought the game at launch and sold it a few week later because it sucked compared to KZ2. Kinda wonder what has changed, i know there has been some patches

Kuroyume

Banned
Very few people like KZ3 so much that Sony has to do this with the multiplayer to get people to remember it still exists. The KZ2 thread was fairly active on GAF and stayed on the front page for the year and a half to two after the game was released. The KZ3 thread/community died after a month. It's very unpopular. I might check it out again but I was so turned off by the demo. Loved KZ2 multiplayer (and campaign) and I thought they ruined things with KZ3.

mj-laughing.gif

Let's not go nuts here. It was competent yes, but it wasn't even the best multiplayer shooter released that year.

MJ always makes me laugh. Well played.

And if KZ3 is as awful for newcomers as ragemasher made it sound, I don't think I'll be playing for long.

Orca

Why don't they just make it the full game? It's just under $20 here new, so the single player is valued at $4.84? :D

Soma

Man it's been months since I've last played the MP on this.

I've been morbidly curious to go back to it. I don't believe that it was really bad, but it just didn't hold my interest long enough.

20yearoldnerd

Neo Member
Really odd for the Sony to do this. Killzone 3's multiplayer was fantastic, so this could help get more people into the Killzone world (perhaps the 4th installment).

Massa

Why don't they just make it the full game? It's just under $20 here new, so the single player is valued at $4.84? :D

The full game doesn't have all the DLC, which I believe is $5 or $6 per map pack (there are 3). If you're playing this MP you must have the DLC, they have the best maps of the game (Stahl Arms in particular is one of KZ's best map ever imo).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They really should just do this with all older games without sequels coming. I have a feeling if this catches on, unlock progression will get even worse for most games.

Top Bottom