• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Full Roster Leak (with character pics)

TreIII

They're spirits that still roam the mortal realm. I think Goenitz is going through the same thing in the Maximum Impact storyline.

Plus, we don't know what things may have changed, thanks to either a) Ash going for dat reset and/or b) new final boss guy and his ability to make Dream Matches possible (thanks to his reality-bending, time-defying powers).

For all we know, Mature and Vice may be officially "alive", again. At the very least, Mature isn't supposed to be wearing her eye patch anymore.

Hassun

Neo Member
Agreed. I can understand the disappointment with the lack of Vanessa or Shingo, or Yamazaki (it's been said before there are so many awesome SNK characters there's ALWAYS going to be that "Why is *character* not in?". What gets me is the whole "Welp, my ONE favorite character is not in, gotta pass up the whole game" attitude. I'm super stoked by who's there and even really eager to try out the newcomers, I'm practically salivating!
I've never been the biggest fan of KoF and I much prefer 1v1 fights over team fights. Whether my all-time favourite fighting games character is in the game or not is basically my main reason to buy KoFXIV. It's certainly not the graphics. Yamazaki hasn't been in a main KoF game since goddamn KoF 2003 either.

I understand it. This is a game where you have to learn three characters. There might be tons of characters I like using, but without characters that I LOVE, it's difficult to motivate myself to put that much work into playing the game.

3 v 3 takes a lot of dedication, and it helps when "that" character is in, whoever it might be, for whoever is saying it.

For me, those characters are Angel, May Lee, Geese, and Eiji. As much as I loved the gameplay of KoF13, I felt like I was playing it just because I knew it was good over playing it because I enjoyed playing it. Eventually I did stop playing because even though the gameplay is solid, I didn't care about any of the characters, so it wasn't as fun for me as I knew it could be.
That's the case for me as well. A game could have the best mechanics known to man but if it doesn't have any characters I like I'm not going to play it. I play fighting games for the characters above all else.
Not to mention that Yamazaki has some really interesting story implications.

DLC character...
Who knows if this game will even get DLC.

Platy

Here is a mix of the 2 leaks

7gTsOQT.png

China Team: 恶魇青年 (?), 糖葫芦 (Tung Fu Rue), 枕头少年 (?)

priiy6W.png

Japan Team: 草蕹京 (Kyo Kusanagi), 二阶堂红丸 (Benimaru Nikaido), 大门五郎 (Goro Daimon)

iXDHjnj.png

Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, 东丈 (Joe Higashi)

mDLYfZR.png

Art of Fighting Team: 坂崎良 (Ryo Sakazaki), Robert Garcia, 坂崎百合 (Yuri Sakazaki)

njPFWid.png

K’ Team: K’, Maxima, Kula Diamond

QVNmmk8.png

Kim Team: 金家藩 (Kim Kaphwan), 他师父 (Kim’s Master), 他师母 (Kim’s Wife)

yuy2hDD.png

Criminal Team: 犯人陈 (Prisoner Chang Koehan), 犯人蔡 (Prisoner Choi Bounge), 新人囚犯 (Newcomer Prisoner)

PZ5dva4.png

Women Fighters Team: 不知火舞 (Mai Shiranui), King, Alice

IOlc3zz.png

Ikari Team: Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern

Xosr5AQ.png

Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, 椎拳崇 (Sie Kensou), 摸元斋 (Chin Gentsai)

w9j2eV8.png

Yagami Team: 八神庵 (Iori Yagami), Mature, Vice

RN2LFIj.png

Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc

N5dnGbm.png

Palace Wan Team: 脸谱女 (Acting Mask Girl), 电属性少女歌手 (Teenage Girl Singer with Electric Element), 神秘兜帽男 (Mysterious Hooded Man)

6cdLbBx.png

South Town Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, 营家新人 (?)

av2ZkDV.png

South America Team: 巴西忍者 (Brazilian Ninja), 残障拳击手 (Handicap Boxer), 拉丁美女 (Pretty Latin Girl)

TcwSVVf.png

Alternate World Team: 娜可露露 (Nakoruru), Love Heart, 龙娘 (Mui Mui)

HH9JOQ1.png

Mid-boss: 俄罗斯富豪 (Russian Billionaire)

xLtukNi.png

Final Boss: 人形态非人类物种 (Non-Human Species)

Interesting how for the incredible most part even the order fits this pic

Skilletor

I get what you're saying, because I play 2002 more than 98 because of Whip and Vanessa, despite 98 feeling like a much more pure game. But you gotta give new characters a shot. With 50 characters, if there's nobody for you then you're too picky.

Somewhat agree. There are always characters I like, but characters I love playing motivate me to play a game a lot more, learn how to fight other characters, use other characters through this process. Without a character I love, which, fortunately for me, is pretty easy because I just like ninjas and stylish martial artists, my interest in a game will dwindle.

Akhe

Interesting, I hope it is good!!

Well, I'll not even start talking about the south America team because this thread will become a battlefield.

"Villains"? After years of Kim trying to educate them, Chang and Choi are now villains again?

The prisoner team was the original plan back during KOF '94's development in the first place.

In the first stage of the development, we wanted to add another “criminal” character to Chang and Choi’s team, which would have been the “Prisoner Team.” But due to various circumstances, we added Kim instead and made it the Korean team.

This was also criticized at first, with people saying, “hey, isn’t it weird for Kim to be on a team with these two criminals?” So we came up with the idea that Kim is trying to rehabilitate them.

Link.

I wouldn't be upset to see Heavy D! or Lucky Glauber (that last name) come back, dammit.

Sports team pls

I've been saying this for months now
#FREETEAMUSA

I would rather have 3 new members to better represent USA to be honest, if not Heavy D! & two new teammates.

Loona

Ok, where is Robert?

Did he just grow moustaches?

Yes.

Not to mention that Yamazaki has some really interesting story implications.

His Orochi connections were basically made up when he was voted into 97 with Billy and Mary, so before that he was basically a hired thug. The Orochi story hasn't been an issue in a while, and Vice & Mature only returned in XIII since the antagonists for the latest arc were basically trying to prey on Orochi, but Yamazaki never cared about that part of his lineage, so even if V&M have a reason to be back he won't necessarily share that.
I could imagine him being on the list of contacts of characters like Geese and the new Russian boss, so maybe he can be on a story scene or hinted for XV...

Aren't Vice and Mature still dead? And they are just ghosts or figments of Iori's imagination or something? Been a while since I've seen the KOFXIII ending...

Orochi's supposed to be a spirit of the Earth kind of entity, which may have allowed it to bring V&M back to protect it. They were very much tangible during XIII, although Iori's ending hinted that that might end then with Saiki's threat averted and Ash's history reset.

They're spirits that still roam the mortal realm. I think Goenitz is going through the same thing in the Maximum Impact storyline.

Goenitz wasn't in MI at all, except through a Geese bonus skin...

Aters

Here is a mix of the 2 leaks

7gTsOQT.png

China Team: 恶魇青年 (?), 糖葫芦 (Tung Fu Rue), 枕头少年 (?)

priiy6W.png

Japan Team: 草蕹京 (Kyo Kusanagi), 二阶堂红丸 (Benimaru Nikaido), 大门五郎 (Goro Daimon)

iXDHjnj.png

Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, 东丈 (Joe Higashi)

mDLYfZR.png

Art of Fighting Team: 坂崎良 (Ryo Sakazaki), Robert Garcia, 坂崎百合 (Yuri Sakazaki)

njPFWid.png

K’ Team: K’, Maxima, Kula Diamond

QVNmmk8.png

Kim Team: 金家藩 (Kim Kaphwan), 他师父 (Kim’s Master), 他师母 (Kim’s Wife)

yuy2hDD.png

Criminal Team: 犯人陈 (Prisoner Chang Koehan), 犯人蔡 (Prisoner Choi Bounge), 新人囚犯 (Newcomer Prisoner)

PZ5dva4.png

Women Fighters Team: 不知火舞 (Mai Shiranui), King, Alice

IOlc3zz.png

Ikari Team: Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern

Xosr5AQ.png

Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, 椎拳崇 (Sie Kensou), 摸元斋 (Chin Gentsai)

w9j2eV8.png

Yagami Team: 八神庵 (Iori Yagami), Mature, Vice

RN2LFIj.png

Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc

N5dnGbm.png

Palace Wan Team: 脸谱女 (Acting Mask Girl), 电属性少女歌手 (Teenage Girl Singer with Electric Element), 神秘兜帽男 (Mysterious Hooded Man)

6cdLbBx.png

South Town Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, 营家新人 (?)

av2ZkDV.png

South America Team: 巴西忍者 (Brazilian Ninja), 残障拳击手 (Handicap Boxer), 拉丁美女 (Pretty Latin Girl)

TcwSVVf.png

Alternate World Team: 娜可露露 (Nakoruru), Love Heart, 龙娘 (Mui Mui)

HH9JOQ1.png

Mid-boss: 俄罗斯富豪 (Russian Billionaire)

xLtukNi.png

Final Boss: 人形态非人类物种 (Non-Human Species)

Interesting how for the incredible most part even the order fits this pic

Devil Teenager
Pillow Boy
Kim's Master's Wife
some sort of newcomer

I've never played KOF before, and I have the slightest idea what are these.

Platy

Devil Teenager
Pillow Boy
Kim's Master's Wife
some sort of newcomer

I've never played KOF before, and I have the slightest idea what are these.

Those are just the generic description of the newcomers (red border) by someone who saw the game

We'll see if that's permanent.

The main thing about the new boss is that his powers are apparently able to screw with the fabric of reality, which is the main reason why the likes of Nakoruru are here in the first place.

There's already loose talk about bringing back the New Face Team (Chris, Yashiro, Shermie) through DLC and use this backdrop as a means to loop them back into the mix. I wouldn't be surprised if Ash can utilize a similar means to come back. Not to mention that "Dragon Power" storyline (Kensou, etc.) is slated to get underway, which would mean Ron and the Flying Brigands will likely start appearing more. Which means Duo Lon likely won't be far behind...

I've really been out of the loop on the plot leaks, thanks. So the new boss can pretty much bring back whoever, no doubt they'll use that to their advantage in the future in terms of bringing back characters but I wonder what will be his reason for doing so, probably just to see the world burn haha. If he's affiliated with Orochi then I could see the New Face Team fitting in there. It'd also be very good to see them address some loose ends plot wise from the older KOFs so long as it neatly ties in to the new saga. Don't know who they could partner with Ron but they obviously got a lot of choices in terms of a Flying Brigands team.

Hassun

Neo Member
His Orochi connections were basically made up when he was voted into 97 with Billy and Mary, so before that he was basically a hired thug. The Orochi story hasn't been an issue in a while, and Vice & Mature only returned in XIII since the antagonists for the latest arc were basically trying to prey on Orochi, but Yamazaki never cared about that part of his lineage, so even if V&M have a reason to be back he won't necessarily share that.
I could imagine him being on the list of contacts of characters like Geese and the new Russian boss, so maybe he can be on a story scene or hinted for XV...
Whatever the reason was for introducing that aspect. It worked perfectly. It worked with the snake motif and helped make Yamazaki all the more awesome and interesting.

I don't think SNK particularly cares about who has died and who hasn't either.

Gren

Interesting, "Kim's wife" aka Myeng Swuk. It's been a while but has she ever been shown in-game, like in an ending for Kim?

Supposedly it's more properly translated as Kim's Master's wife. We've also seen Myeng before, and she doesn't look anything like that leaked pic.

EDIT: She & their boys were in Kim's FF2/S background.

Platy

OK, it's just as a Chinese, I find the name of the characters too funny.

Good to know the translations ... thanks !

Because I was thinking the first leaker saw this image we are looking at now and ... you need to be REALLY creative to see a "devil teenager" on that portrait.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm glad that they are back to being prisoners/villains, that angle has more substance than just being Kim's punching bags.

This has also put Kim into a fresh new set up as well. We are used to seeing him as the master but now his master+wife change things up nicely and he is in a more student-like position.

Really gives them room to gro... well more like regress, yeah.

It'll be nice to see Kim either getting dominated over a bit, or just staying back and observing like a fanboy himself. Really looking forward to how that interaction works out.

Aren't Vice and Mature still dead? And they are just ghosts or figments of Iori's imagination or something? Been a while since I've seen the KOFXIII ending...

Back when there were stories written up for KoF XII and XIII, there was mention of our Orochi ladies appearing like ghost from the night, before Iori... I think most took the idea that this was just exaggeration, and that they were obviously honestly alive. The Eyepatch was proof that Iori *nearly* killed them in the past, but that's all it was suppose to have been.

Note the fact they actually have color Palettes in XIII that make them slightly transparent. I think the idea they're actual ghost is just a bit of fun on the devs part, but not officially observed in the story.

Interesting, "Kim's wife" aka Myeng Swuk. It's been a while but has she ever been shown in-game, like in an ending for Kim?

Actually, Kim's wife and 2 sons can be seen all the way back in FF2!

kim_kaphwan_korea_fatal_fury_special.png

This new character is said not to be Kim's wife, however, but the Wife of his Master.

Back when there were stories written up for KoF XII and XIII, there was mention of our Orochi ladies appearing like ghost from the night, before Iori... I think most took the idea that this was just exaggeration, and that they were obviously honestly alive. The Eyepatch was proof that Iori *nearly* killed them in the past, but that's all it was suppose to have been.

Note the fact they actually have color Palettes in XIII that make them slightly transparent. I think the idea they're actual ghost is just a bit of fun on the devs part, but not officially observed in the story.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/f/kof13ior.htm

That's the Iori team ending.. Seems to support the intro story as well. And the KOF intro stories have always been canon afaik.

Loona

Whatever the reason was for introducing that aspect. It worked perfectly. It worked with the snake motif and helped make Yamazaki all the more awesome and interesting.

I don't think SNK particularly cares about who has died and who hasn't either.

They care enough to have made dream match games a thing.

One thing that keeps coming to mind about the leaked multiversal aspect of the final boss is that it reminds me of Kuroko from Samurai Shodown, who used moves from all over the SNK universe both in SS2 and SS6... I wonder if a later game might bring up that aspect... the character's a bit short, but with the series turning 3D, applying a Dural-like mixed/recycled moveset while making that a story factor could be interesting...

Sweet, the portraits of the new characters look pretty cool! South America team looks pretty cool an the Invitation Team seems neat...that one girl looks a little freaky with them big eyes though. Hope they can show any of the new characters soon!

TreIII

I've really been out of the loop on the plot leaks, thanks. So the new boss can pretty much bring back whoever, no doubt they'll use that to their advantage in the future in terms of bringing back characters but I wonder what will be his reason for doing so, probably just to see the world burn haha. If he's affiliated with Orochi then I could see the New Face Team fitting in there. It'd also be very good to see them address some loose ends plot wise from the older KOFs so long as it neatly ties in to the new saga. Don't know who they could partner with Ron but they obviously got a lot of choices in terms of a Flying Brigands team.

And it probably will depend a lot on just what they plan to do with this new boss. SNK(P) has a nasty of killing off cool bosses, instead of letting them actually "get away to fight another day". If this guy is as powerful as he's being made out to be, I'd actually prefer if he did, so that we could get even more multiverse shenanigans out of him over the course of this new arc.

qcf x2 said:
You gotta be a real dirtbag to beat a man in front of his wife and kids.
Hey, it's Kim's fault if he insisted on making them watch. The opponent would be doing Kim and his fam a disservice by not taking Kim seriously!

Hassun

Neo Member
They care enough to have made dream match games a thing
Didn't 98 Ultimate and 2002 Unlimited Match have both Geese and the dead "nightmare Geese" variation of the character?

Hell, thinking about this stuff just makes me want CvS3 instead. Capcom has done the best Geese AND Rugal by far anyway.
2834759-rugal+walk.gif
2834773-geese+kicks.gif

C-Sword

I wonder if this game can outsell SFV? I know KOF is not as popular, but with SKNP now being owned by a chinese company and console ban being lifted in China, I guess it's possible right? Not to mention KOF is quite popular in China.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Didn't 98 Ultimate and 2002 Unlimited Match have both Geese and the dead "nightmare Geese" variation of the character?

Hell, thinking about this stuff just makes me want CvS3 instead. Capcom has done the best Geese AND Rugal by far anyway.
2834759-rugal+walk.gif
2834773-geese+kicks.gif

I weep that Geese didnt make it into 13.

I wonder if this game can outsell SFV? I know KOF is not as popular, but with SKNP now being owned by a chinese company and console ban being lifted in China, I guess it's possible right? Not to mention KOF is quite popular in China.

I highly, highly doubt it.

TreIII

KOFXIV probably won't really start blowing up in more places around the world, until the Steam version inevitably hits. Even if the console ban is being lifted, the PS4 still is likely going to be too expensive for most people to buy in China, and always has been in other places around the world.

But thankfully, this is where PC and Steam come in, as almost everybody around the world has access to that as a gaming platform. And SNKP couldn't stress enough that Steam is a major contributing factor to why they went back to making games.

In the long term, and especially if SNKP supports KOFXIV for the long haul, I could see worldwide sales of KOFXIV and SFV being very competitive.

Beckx

the better question to ask is between SFV and KOF XIV, which is more likely to achieve the short and long term sales goals the company needs to produce more titles.

Sesha

I already like Mask guy and Kim's Master's Wife based on those small pictures. Maybe even Bluebeard Rasputin with Chang & Choi.

2834759-rugal+walk.gif
2834773-geese+kicks.gif

I'm imagining Vanessa and Oswald being in CvS in this style, and, just… hnnnnnnngh.

yuy2hDD.png

Sid Haig?
133_2.jpg

Hard to unsee that now. No nothing about that new character, but already hoping he stays locked up.

Geese's butler? what happened to Ripper & Hopper?

I like this what if. I'm trying to remember if Hopper and Ripper have ever been playable, and how'd they play in any iteration.

2834759-rugal+walk.gif
2834773-geese+kicks.gif

For the spritework, I maybe see your point. For gameplay, I disagree. Even as AI, those two are way more challenging, because SNK boss syndrome.

No Yamazaki (AGAIN!), no buy.

2834630-yamazaki+headache.gif

Good to see Geese though.

This is pure curiosity on my part, and a little OT, but as an SNK fan who likes Yamazaki but is confused at why he's so clamored for, what's the draw to Yamazaki for you? The design, the gameplay?

Supposedly it's more properly translated as Kim's Master's wife. We've also seen Myeng before, and she doesn't look anything like that leaked pic.

EDIT: She & their boys were in Kim's FF2/S background.

It's mistranslation. Should be Kim's master's wife.

Actually, Kim's wife and 2 sons can be seen all the way back in FF2!

kim_kaphwan_korea_fatal_fury_special.png

This new character is said not to be Kim's wife, however, but the Wife of his Master.

Ah, now that makes a little more sense. Interested in seeing how she plays.

ExVicis

2834759-rugal+walk.gif
2834773-geese+kicks.gif
Rugal I could maybe, but I've seen better versions of Geese.

qcf x2

Hey, it's Kim's fault if he insisted on making them watch. The opponent would be doing Kim and his fam a disservice by not taking Kim seriously!

You're right, Kim does come off as pretty smug. But look how Terry faces his family and tosses his hat.

Just missing Datta.

Yeah, Sim should know better than this. For a "master" he doesn't often come across as wise to me.

"D..Daddy lost to....the pizza man?"

At least he asked if he was OK (after clobbering him). I hope one of these companies makes a stage where the background characters are using cellphones to record the brawling, with some of them using landscape and some using vertical. So I can get that 21st century immersion.

Edit: I bet that's Jae Hoon crying in the background there.

ExVicis

This is pure curiosity on my part, and a little OT, but as an SNK fan who likes Yamazaki but is confused at why he's so clamored for, what's the draw to Yamazaki for you? The design, the gameplay?

I know it wasn't asked of me but I can try to field the question. Yakuza gang guys like Yamazaki alone are pretty good designs but he has an added draw. It's the fact that Yamazaki is a cfrazy person with a knife and powers. Then you add that these are Hakkeshu powers that drive Leona and Iori into the blood riot and not Yamazaki because he's already just that crazy. That shit is amazing and is why I like him.

Technically as a Hakkeshu he should be in the game since the other (except Goenitz, Shermie and co.) have been represented in the last game and this one, but instead he seems to be the only one absent.

What happened to the sports themed guys

they were so cool
Their invitation was probably stolen again for the millionth time

Top Bottom