• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sweet, bunch of stuff i missed in there. Thank you.
Happy to post it! I'm glad there's people making such stuff, it is very helpful with all the HOURS of stream out there now. We have DAYS worth of footage now, and it's insane to try and catch everything.

I hear we've seen Choi's Climax DM, but haven't seen it myself yet.

I was looking for this but never caught it on stream. Is it like EX fan in 13, just really fast and goes through other projectiles?

To add to BadWolf's explanation, Mai's EX fan works like Anji Mito's from old GG, if you're familiar with that. It can be rolled or back-dash'd away from, but it still limits their movement quite nicely.

It's been mentioned that running in and throwing a rolling person seems unusually easy in this game, so this could work great with that.

BadWolf

Gunsmith mentioned that Clark's B SAB doesn't have guard point anymore but it has a natural built in delay before activating. This delay moment doesn't have armor or invincibility, seems it's just a delayed grab for mind game purposes.

Frionel mentioned that Terry used to be an easy beginner friendly character in XIII and other games but in XIV he is more advanced/technical.

It's been mentioned that running in and throwing a rolling person seems unusually easy in this game, so this could work great with that.

Another system change mentioned on stream was that the throw invincibility after hit stun has been increased a lot compared to XIII.

The Athena player did a set up from XIII which ended in a command throw reset and it missed, they said it was due to this change and now you have to delay the throw by a lot or it will whiff. They said it's probably to make it harder to do command throw resets in the middle of max mode combos.

Also, could be wrong but it looked like Frionel chained two parry's with Ryo when parrying Kim's EX Hangetsuzan during the Top 4.

The XIV version is new and pretty interesting, it's two hits instead of one. After the fan hits it actually bounces off the opponent and then hits them from above, there is a gap between the two hits so it's a trap and also gives Mai time to run in and start pressure while this is happening.

That... sounds amazing. I want to experiment with it like right now. ^.^

TreIII

The XIV version is new and pretty interesting, it's two hits instead of one. After the fan hits it actually bounces off the opponent and then hits them from above, there is a gap between the two hits so it's a trap and also gives Mai time to run in and start pressure while this is happening.

One player put her on anchor and went nuts with these using raw max activations.

Yeah...it gave me all the Vietnam-style flashbacks of having to deal with Anji's butterfly shenanigans in GG.

Are there any particular time stamps for King Dino should be looking out for? He's pretty much the only character I must have always "just missed".

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gunsmith mentioned that Clark's B SAB doesn't have guard point anymore but it has a natural built in delay before activating. This delay moment doesn't have armor or invincibility, seems it's just a delayed grab for mind game purposes.

Seems like a nice thing in a game without Alternate Guard, really. Even though I'll miss the crazy armor.

Another system change mentioned on stream was that the throw invincibility after hit stun has been increased a lot compared to XIII.

The Athena player did a set up from XIII which ended in a command throw reset and it missed, they said it was due to this change and now you have to delay the throw by a lot or it will whiff. They said it's probably to make it harder to do command throw resets in the middle of max mode combos.

Athena's command throw also looks to have slower start-up, but lower-body invuln? I like the way that many changes seem to be forcing SMARTER use of tools. It's an issue when one DM on a character does EVERYTHING, and the other is basically just wasted animation, y'know? The fact that everything is made for so many types of combos seems to have the designers really focusing on how to make things flow. For example, Leona's V Slasher DM seems to ground the opponent for the explosion and V now, which means she shouldn't be caught unable to cancel into other DMs anymore. It's a small, innocent change, but it'll make Advance cancelling with her actually FLOW now, which I quite appreciate.

Same with Kim's air DM grounding. This makes it possible for him to Advance cancel into the upkick EXDM, which lets him combo out of that for even MORE damage. If he was stuck doing the whole first DM in mid air, this would never work.

Yeah...it gave me all the Vietnam-style flashbacks of having to deal with Anji's butterfly shenanigans in GG.

Are there any particular time stamps for King Dino should be looking out for? He's pretty much the only character I must have always "just missed".

Glad someone else remember Mr. Mito's shenanigans, heh heh.

Can't timestamp any KoD, but he was just on the current stream not to long ago, and that highlight vid had some nice stuff in it too. I believe Frio is going through the new cast again now, so might see some things.

CjGiA54VEAAbAK7.jpg:large

Can't really see anything it's just K' roasting lol

BadWolf

Xiao Hai's Luong comeback
Xiao Hai's Kim combo (2 DMs + 1 SDM)
Frionel's Ryo parry

Like SAB CA mentioned, not much happened with KOD aside from just some super cancels and whatnot.

Luong was probably the only new character that people made any kind of major progress with, and that because quite a few players including Xiao Hai gave her a lot of time.

Other than that some started making progress with Nelson and he was really starting to impress, tbh I'm really tempted to put him on my day 1 team. If it weren't for Angel he would probably already be there (don't think it's a good idea to learn two chain based characters at the same time). Loving the way he is animated, feels like he is straight out of Hajime no Ippo (that machine gun punch boxer). I expect his play style to bring a lot of hype.

Athena's command throw also looks to have slower start-up, but lower-body invuln? I like the way that many changes seem to be forcing SMARTER use of tools. It's an issue when one DM on a character does EVERYTHING, and the other is basically just wasted animation, y'know? The fact that everything is made for so many types of combos seems to have the designers really focusing on how to make things flow. For example, Leona's V Slasher DM seems to ground the opponent for the explosion and V now, which means she shouldn't be caught unable to cancel into other DMs anymore. It's a small, innocent change, but it'll make Advance cancelling with her actually FLOW now, which I quite appreciate.

Same with Kim's air DM grounding. This makes it possible for him to Advance cancel into the upkick EXDM, which lets him combo out of that for even MORE damage. If he was stuck doing the whole first DM in mid air, this would never work.

Agreed on all accounts, the returning characters seemed to be the same as in XIII at first glance but a lot of neat changes have been incorporated under the hood. Lots of stuff now hits that didn't hit before and vice versa. For example Ryo's EX flying kick now hits air borne opponents and so does K's Eins Trigger, these would whiff in XIII.

Like you mentioned, a lot of stuff just flows well and looks to be designed to look cool. And it's nothing complex but all very logical visually speaking. Here's the ground bounce so I can combo with this, there's the wall bounce so I can go into that etc. It's all visually simple and easy to remember, and very flashy and satisfying looking.

And speaking of Kim, they clearly nerfed/adjusted the various things that made him a problem in XIII but all that is getting negated by how well he is jiving with XIV's universal system mechanics lol.

On a side note it's interesting how they decided to color code the various hit effects:

White = Just Defend
Green = Parry
Blue = Guard Point
Red = hit spark from a normal
Yellow = hit spark from a special

TreIII

Like SAB CA mentioned, not much happened with KOD aside from just some super cancels and whatnot.

Luong was probably the only new character that people made any kind of major progress with, and that because quite a few players including Xiao Hai gave her a lot of time.

Other than that some started making progress with Nelson and he was really starting to impress, tbh I'm really tempted to put him on my day 1 team. If it weren't for Angel he would probably already be there (don't think it's a good idea to learn two chain based characters at the same time). Loving the way he is animated, feels like he is straight out of Hajime no Ippo (that machine gun punch boxer). I expect his play style to bring a lot of hype.

Aight, thanks. Guess I'll just have to watch more of the footage I missed to try and see if I can catch more of my new King.

And what I saw of Nelson really impressed me, too! I dunno if I may end up fielding for myself, but I'll definitely be watching out for those who end up using him well.

But I do think my first day is likely going to be focused on trying to find some nice Guard Point-related shenanigans with Maxima and his new "pal" King Dino. Given time, I think those two may indeed be sleeping giants that I could swap in and out on any one of my future team possibilities (or maybe on a team together if I think such a thing is at all feasible).

Can't be reiterated enough that this is like the first non-UM KOF game that I'm so excited to think about overall team dynamics all over again...

I hope Angel and Ralf are in the next playable build.

I think you can bank on it. 37 characters have had gameplay revealed, and this next build is a 36 character build.

Of those 37, I think Joe is the only one who won't be in the build. I am eager to see these characters in action, because it probably means that SNK will put their movelists onto the official site, and I need that info!

BadWolf

Btw after this weekend's stream was over people asked what Frionel thought of the game. He said that the gameplay felt like a gift to KOF fans, where everything we love about the series has been multiplied a few times over.

He also said that they were loving how often you can activate max mode now, adds a lot of excitement to matches and new layers of strategy.

Also, in all the excitement we sort of forgot that the game also had a showing in Korea at the same time. Apparently Infiltration tweeted something about it.

Anyhoo, we should be getting a new team trailer tomorrow and this weekend will treat us with more streams via Combo Breaker. The Stunfest players did an excellent job showcasing the game and taking the mechanics for a ride, let's see what the US players can do.

I think you can bank on it. 37 characters have had gameplay revealed, and this next build is a 36 character build.

Of those 37, I think Joe is the only one who won't be in the build. I am eager to see these characters in action, because it probably means that SNK will put their movelists onto the official site, and I need that info!

I seriously hope so, she was one of the earliest revealed characters. Really looking forward to seeing how she plays and how EX moves will work with her move set.

That new screenshot looks like a Climax DM? Don't remember her having a stomp move so might be something new.

lol, Muimui aiming for the hoop.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Also, in all the excitement we sort of forgot that the game also had a showing in Korea at the same time. Apparently Infiltration tweeted something about it.

There were a few videos from it too, which mean little now after the CRAZY AMOUNT from Stunfest, but anyway, maybe someone will see something new?:

https://youtu.be/vnyVhYN_Boo?list=LLY3Er_ZMBVK61P8G7iciUBw
https://youtu.be/K2Y1EYS7HTs?list=LLY3Er_ZMBVK61P8G7iciUBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7379O4AzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_CRrrAGlI

Anyhoo, we should be getting a new team trailer tomorrow and this weekend will treat us with more streams via Combo Breaker. The Stunfest players did an excellent job showcasing the game and taking the mechanics for a ride, let's see what the US players can do.

And the 36 chara build goes live in Japan on the 28th, so we MIGHT see something from there too, right? Crazy time to be a KoF fan, though I'll be at an anime con all weekend myself (and wishing there was a version of the latest build there in it's game room).

lol, Muimui aiming for the hoop.

They're having fun with these latest SS's I guess, ha. Can I get a Ralf x Clark CROSS CHANGA somewhere in there too, pls sNK?

If KOF14 gets yearly balance updates I hope they bring back the years in the title instead of Climax or whatever

I really wonder if they plan to do anything that demands a name change? It's in their blood, surely, but who knows? Or maybe they'd get real cheeky and just have a "Ver. 2017!" and so on?

BadWolf

Via Dreamcancel user Shiranui_ninja:

giphy.gif

There were a few videos from it too, which mean little now after the CRAZY AMOUNT from Stunfest, but anyway, maybe someone will see something new?:

https://youtu.be/vnyVhYN_Boo?list=LLY3Er_ZMBVK61P8G7iciUBw
https://youtu.be/K2Y1EYS7HTs?list=LLY3Er_ZMBVK61P8G7iciUBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7379O4AzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_CRrrAGlI

Thanks for the vids, they are pretty nice quality for off-screen.

Some random stuff:

- We were told that you can only do regular DMs after a rush combo but kinda didn't consider max mode. One of the players did a rush combo with Kula while activated and it ended with her SDM and did a nice chunk of damage. Very nice, should help newer players do basic maxmode combos.

- A Terry player was able to combo a far st. LK (a normal that is super cancellable and let's him enter max mode) after a regular Power Charge? Terry's combos are going in some interesting directions.

- At one point it looked like Kyo hit Vice out of the air with a standing HP and then comboed with the DP for 3 hits. The normal wasn't a counter hit. She was so close to hitting the ground though that I can't tell if he actually hit her out of the air or just on the frame of her landing.

- Tung's air punch spinning move is very interesting. At Stunfest I saw someone hit the opponent with an air normal followed by this punch special move (can't remember if the normal was a counter hit or not unfortunately) and it comboed and then Tung was able to jump again after landing and follow up with a kick while the opponent was still in the air for a total 3 hit combo. In the Korean vid someone again hit an airborne opponent with the move and you could see that it leaves them in a full juggle state. The move also hits as a tricky looking cross up on grounded opponents. Between it and one of the punch normals (where Tung punches straight down), he has at least two really good cross ups.

- Like Terry's Climax DM, it looks like Tung's CDM also has a separate animation for when the beginning of the move doesn't hit. The move ended with a big thrusting palm attack instead.

And the 36 chara build goes live in Japan on the 28th, so we MIGHT see something from there too, right? Crazy time to be a KoF fan, though I'll be at an anime con all weekend myself (and wishing there was a version of the latest build there in it's game room).

Those showings for the new build make no mention of streams but hopefully there is something, or someone at least records some vids.

qcf x2

That gif makes the game look 2D. I really hope they improve these arena stages. The audio is nice but visually this one (and that original stage shown) just look really bad.

This is off topic but we're all SNK bros in here. I really want a World Heroes reboot. Am I the only one? I mean, I know the history (no pun intended), I know it was a shameless SF2 ripoff from beginning to end. But still somehow the character designs are somewhat striking and the stages are cool. And the dialogue is full of savagery and things that are deeper than they have right to be.

Zerojul

This is off topic but we're all SNK bros in here. I really want a World Heroes reboot. Am I the only one? I mean, I know the history (no pun intended), I know it was a shameless SF2 ripoff from beginning to end. But still somehow the character designs are somewhat striking and the stages are cool. And the dialogue is full of savagery and things that are deeper than they have right to be.
I'm all for playing Rasputin again so yeah.

BadWolf

Via Dreamcancel:

Frionel is streaming XIV with Kayane right now.

That gif makes the game look 2D. I really hope they improve these arena stages. The audio is nice but visually this one (and that original stage shown) just look really bad.

That would be sweet, really hope they work on something like that or another unused IP after KOFXIV/Samsho.

Tbh after seeing the awesome new characters they came up with for XIV, I would love it if they tried a brand new IP with an all new cast and mechanics.

TreIII

Tbh after seeing the awesome new characters they came up with for XIV, I would love it if they tried a brand new IP with an all new cast and mechanics.

At this stage, and with the industry being as it is, I think SNK is probably the only "major player" who could introduce a new IP and probably would have it go over well.

My only concern would be that a brand new fighting game IP/franchise would still be a bit of a hard sell, even among fans of the genre. Such that I do agree that it probably would be in SNK's best interests if they branched out and tried their hand with an action game, RPG or something else that can diversify their catalog a bit among gamers who only know them mainly for KOF and Metal Slug. And hey, it helps that they got Neo_G on their side, too!

So we should be getting a team trailer tomorrow. If they're going in the same order as the recent "Invitation Trailer", then it should be K' Team.

Edit: King's toosh is looking fine.

Sayad

One of you KoF heads should put together a few gameplay examples for each character...especially the sand dude...
Examples as in set ups, pressure, combos, etc?... KoF is pretty simple in this regard, you'd pick those for a whole team faster than you would pick a new character in GG. Also, no sand dude gameplay yet past what we've seen in the trailer as far I know.

Yo King! That AA is looking good. :3

JayEH

Haha they have no method to their madness but I like that. Yay for Yuri, Ralf, and Sandguy. Boo for no Angel.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Watch the only gameplay that leaks from the first Store Test feature: Iori-Kyo-K' VS Kula-Iori-K', or something to that effect.

Don't quit your day job kid.
I think it was an accurate depiction of my mix of surprise and confusion at the characters presented in this build. :) Glad King is back, Ralf will actually get to be shown, and Joe gets a gameplay debut.. if he doesn't get one later tonight, in the team trailers.

Unless they drop a few team trailers in order to get certain characters out of the way, it's REALLY weird they're going to premier some new characters that haven't been officially introduced yet, while leaving out some characters (like Mature and Angel) who've already been shown.

OmegaDL50

What store demo?! Don't mess with me like this, I was thinking PSN store demo for a second there. :(

I thought the same.

I have been out of the loop in keeping up with this thread.

It's good thing I got No Man's Sky to keep me busy next month, because August can't get here any faster.

I want to play KOFXIV badly.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is a PSN demo totally out of the question though, or is there hope ? :/

Let's bug Europe and Deep Silver until they figure out a way to get us all a Demo! I mean, Frionel has the 24 character build, and is showing up in streams everywhere, just taking it with him like it's already released...

... in all seriousness though, he mentioned during the Stunfest stream that he knows of no plans for an online demo, or anything of that sort. Going by SNKP's previous track record, there were demos for XII and XIII, that pretty much came out AFTER release of the full product.

Of course, look at the rate they're pumping out public play builds now... and there's no issues with letting people play the game on stream, go back to the PS4 Menu, or have a bunch of machines fairly unsupervised at foreign tourneys. They COULD do something if they wanted to, but it might not be likely. At least they have a solid framework for it?

Tizoc

Watch the only gameplay that leaks from the first Store Test feature: Iori-Kyo-K' VS Kula-Iori-K', or something to that effect.

I think it was an accurate depiction of my mix of surprise and confusion at the characters presented in this build. :) Glad King is back, Ralf will actually get to be shown, and Joe gets a gameplay debut.. if he doesn't get one later tonight, in the team trailers.

Unless they drop a few team trailers in order to get certain characters out of the way, it's REALLY weird they're going to premier some new characters that haven't been officially introduced yet, while leaving out some characters (like Mature and Angel) who've already been shown.

Didn't see anything surprising about that. In fact after the leak hardly anything is surprising :V

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Didn't see anything surprising about that. In fact after the leak hardly anything is surprising :V

Real talk, the leak doesn't dampen the surprise of seeing the characters in action, nor the look of their official designs. It was nice to get to see the framework, but thinking it ruins any other surprise gives it way too much credit.

It's weird that they'd put characters in a demo that haven't had the time to be the *HYPE* portion for their team trailer yet.

And as mentioned by many in this thread, and around the web "37 characters were shown so far, and this build will have 36." I wonder if something went wrong at the last minute, that made them switch who actually got in... it really seems to go against the rest of their marketing plan.

BadWolf

Clark's Ultra Argentine Backbreaker SDM

Choi's Climax DM

Looks like Clark can cancel his st. C after the second hit now instead of just the first. Should make it really easy to confirm into grabs, supers and combos.

At this stage, and with the industry being as it is, I think SNK is probably the only "major player" who could introduce a new IP and probably would have it go over well.

My only concern would be that a brand new fighting game IP/franchise would still be a bit of a hard sell, even among fans of the genre. Such that I do agree that it probably would be in SNK's best interests if they branched out and tried their hand with an action game, RPG or something else that can diversify their catalog a bit among gamers who only know them mainly for KOF and Metal Slug. And hey, it helps that they got Neo_G on their side, too!

Oda did say that they have a whole bunch of exciting plans for the future so I'm guessing we'll start hearing stuff after XIV's release.

Starting big would be risky but making downloadable arcade style games ala beat em ups or other action games in the downloadable game range would be a nice way to flex their muscle. They have so many damn characters that they could easily put something worthwhile together and have the fans notice.

Basically what Platinum Games is doing with Activision, minus the suck.

CjS9845UoAAcBgw.jpg:orig

THISmakeNOsenseWeHaven'tSeenALLthesePeopleYetOMGMaximaOMGYuriOmGGeese'sNotAButler.

Jeez, is Angel more popular than I thought? Feels like she is getting the queen treatment that should have been reserved for Mai.

Either way, that's a sweet new roster of characters. Digging Yuri's refresh, the yellow gloves and purple tights set her apart nicely from you know who.

These aren't tournaments so hopefully we get to see some nice character variety instead of everyone trying to win and going for the trio.

It would be nice if they let some of the fighting game streamers stream it on Nico like they did with the previous build.

Edit: King's toosh is looking fine.

It is certainly looking the healthiest it has ever been.

Top Bottom