• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Thread of How do you even pronounce that

EzLink said:
Damn. Never played a KH game before, figured I would start here. Maybe not though
That may not be a good idea.

You should probably play KH2 first, there's a story recap at the beginning.

Or if you're waiting for a portable experience, wait for Birth By Sleep.

EzLink

Banned
Aaron Strife said:

Or if you're waiting for a portable experience, wait for Birth By Sleep.

I would have already played them, but I don't have a PS2. Maybe I'll check into getting one though. They aren't too expensive and there are tons of games I'd love to play on it

Aaron Strife said:

Really? I don't remember that. I played KH2 before KH1 and remember being confused as all hell for the first couple of hours of the game. But I guess that was kind of the point.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Really? I don't remember that. I played KH2 before KH1 and remember being confused as all hell for the first couple of hours of the game. But I guess that was kind of the point.
I think it would actually kind of add to the narrative (because Roxas is new to all this shit), but I played KH1 first, so maybe that's just my perspective.

How does the amazon promotion work? Getting the game today but instead of getting the $10 for a future video game purchase from the amazon promotion they gave me a $5 worth of MP3's instead.

ExtraKr1spy said:
How does the amazon promotion work? Getting the game today but instead of getting the $10 for a future video game purchase from the amazon promotion they gave me a $5 worth of MP3's instead.
I believe you're suppose to get the $10 two days after the game has shipped.

Borman

IMG_0473.jpg

Came with the slipcover :) And i got my 10$ credit

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I haven't actually played this yet, but I hope one of the new IP's Wada mentioned that SE will create is actually based somewhat on the mechanics included in this game-- the Panel system, the Coop, missions and structure, etc. It seems that there is so much potential here that may or may not be realized simply because this game is tied to Kingdom Hearts.

Ponn

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:

That was for preorders, if you are just ordering it today you won't get $10 promotion.

Synless

I just picked this up today because I'm a sucker for anything Kingdom Hearts and I gotta say, this game looks so damn good on the DS.

Chairhome

My copy from Amazon is due to come in by Oct. 3 (my bday!)... gives me time to try to beat M&L, though in my experience, Amazon stuff usually comes a day or two before estimated delivery :-D
I got my $10 credit today, too. It says to use by Oct 31. Does anyone know if you can use it on pre-orders? Cause New Super Mario Bros. also gives you a $10 credit if you pre-order, so I was planning on using it for that.

Snaku

Banned
Played about 2 hours off and on as I've run around town. The missions are perfect for short bursts of gaming, and more Roxas and Organization XIII is always a good thing. Really enjoying it so far. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got my $10 Amazon VG credit this morning. Then about an hour later, Amazon Prime release date delivery package of love arrived in my office.

Surprised by the case's slipcover. It's not a fragile cardboard piece of shit like most of these. Those kind of don't make much since, really, considering that the actual case is much more durable.

Took like a freaking hour to dump the ROM (256 MBs, ouch!), and I've been too busy futzing around with getting my Wii Shop Channel updates sans-the 4.2 update, and my 5.55 PSP games patched and working on lower CFWs, but from the little I've played of KH, it looks, sounds, and feels surprisingly close to the PS2 games. Or at least, what little I played of them. Even the unrealistic jumping mechanic feels just right. Or just wrong. Whatever.

Spruchy

Warning: this game starts off super-slow, I loved the beginning of KH2 yet this starts off dreadful. About 90 minutes in I started to warm up to it though.

Mikey Jr.

I'm on day 79 and have barely touched challenges. Mostly because I fucking HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE time-based challenges. I mean, if I do something, I wanna do it 100% (meaning get 3 emblems on each), thats why I'm reluctant to even start. I'm gonna sit there and spend half the time trying to get 3 emblems and its going to piss me off and I'm going to hate the game.

jrricky

Banned
Spruchy said:
Warning: this game starts off super-slow, I loved the beginning of KH2 yet this starts off dreadful. About 90 minutes in I started to warm up to it though.
Really, I found KH2's beginning to be super slow but I eventually got into it...

EDIT:Old news, but just realized that IGN ripped KH2 apart in its review. :/

Decent 358/2 days review though...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Clocked in quite a few hours. I like it. Randomly constructed post below (haven't tried the multiplayer yet).

For a long time I expected this game to be bad, didn't even follow any news until recently but I'm having a lot of fun with it. There's some heavy area repetition but I can't say it bothers me (I guess it should, but I'm just so used to these areas I think I got desensitized). The Disney aspect is almost nonexistent this time and the plot until the point I am is basically about Roxas eating Ice Cream while the other Organization members throw bits about the KH mythos (Xigbar and Axel have great moments, and the cloaked moogle rocks. I'll digest the new information when I finish it). I'm fairly sure that if you dislike it, you'll keep disliking it. A shame they didn't have a 2D approach this time like they did with CoM but the 3D graphics are "wow, that looks very good for the DS", quick loading and no slowdown.

The controls work much better than I expected considering it's 3D KH on d-pad controls, minus second analog stick. I move the camera all the time in KH1 and 2, so I was having issues in 358/2 until I changed it to type B. Moving it with L/R almost emulates what I need (and holding L+R for the shortcuts isn't a problem to me). When fighting enemies near corners the camera can still go crazy but most (if not all) times, locking on the enemy solves it.

Panel system is well made imo. Fun to use and mess around with, and the end result is the entertaining KH skill progression. At first I felt that even level ups being on panels was strange but it's not a problem since you constantly get more slots + linked panels which double the effects, etc, while also opening the possibility of going through the game with low levels. I dig how each Keyblade type has a different combo now and that Roxas does the full attack even if there aren't any enemies around (Sora doesn't. It's minor, but I like this way more). There's some platforming and even a fair share of chests you can only get access later when you have more skills. This is nice.

I know some people dislike portable games going for mission based gameplay. I enjoy it. The mission structure works surprinsingly well here and adds a welcome variety in the sense that even if I'm going to the same area again with different entrance restrictions, the fact that it's a different mission with different enemies and objectives is enough to keep me going. That they're short and full of rewards is sweet too, constant gratification.

I don't think this game is good for someone who has never played the series before. Even if you're already familiar with KH, I believe that the core of what 358/2 provides won't fly with many people. For another "spin-off with recycled worlds", I'm satisfied with what they achieved.

But then again, I simply love grinding materials for synthesis in all KH games. My endgame in replays always consists in running around worlds maxing Sora and completing everything while hunting for drops. Even if a bit repetitive, this game has it all since the very beginning: synthesis, challenges, badges and a bunch of things to do and complete so it easily clicked with me.

hamchan

For the newcomers: The original KH is pretty dated now but it has some key events that the sequels refer to so a wiki readthrough is a bare minimum. CoM and KH2 are both good games and must be played to understand the ongoing story. The plot of 358/2 days is not friendly at all to KH newbies so I wouldn't recommend starting with this. I would probably play it after KH2, even though it takes place before KH2.

hamchan

depward said:
Same. But I will say: I want a portable experience. I don't have the time to play the console games. So I think I'll just read a story FAQ and go from there..
You could play the GBA version of CoM which is still the best entry in the series in terms of plot and gameplay IMO.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Oh God, I started this last night (the slip cover is sexy as hell, by the way)..

..does the ENTIRE game read like slash fiction? I don't know if I can handle this. :lol

edit: AND the Disney aspect is almost non-existent? FUUUUUUUCK. ):<

Mikey Jr.

Princess Skittles said:
Oh God, I started this last night (the slip cover is sexy as hell, by the way)..

..does the ENTIRE game read like slash fiction? I don't know if I can handle this. :lol

edit: AND the Disney aspect is almost non-existent? FUUUUUUUCK. ):<

The Final Fantasy aspect IS non-existent.

Ohh, except for a moogle, but who gives a shit about them.

Fuu

lololol, I forgot how hillarious the official manga is and how Shiro Amano awesomely doesn't take the characters the least bit seriously.

From the 358/2 Days preview:

287ghes.png

14lhpj7.png

Wish the games had this sort of crap going on.

Princess Skittles said:
What is wrong with you.

For crying out loud. The main theme in Kingdom Hearts is friendship. They're freaking friends.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fuu said:
lololol, I forgot how hillarious the official manga is and how Shiro Amano awesomely doesn't take the characters the least bit seriously.

From the 358/2 Days preview:

287ghes.png

14lhpj7.png

Wish the games had this sort of crap going on.
Is... is that ZEXION playing twister with Demyx?

Fuu

It's great how enemy item drops survives both area changing and cutscenes that play automatically. And even if that cutscene is one of the rare ones that will directly take you back to the castle, the game still gives reasonable seconds for you to get the loot before the fade out. I hope this works the same way in BbS and the future games.

And I saw at the Japanese official site that you can unlock
Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Riku, Sora and (obviously) Xion for the mission mode
. Woo!

Halycon said:
Is... is that ZEXION playing twister with Demyx?
Apparently yes. :lol

Mejilan

Gonna plow ahead with my latest attempt to finish (and enjoy) FFXII, and after that, I plan a KH marathon (1, Re:CoM, 2) before hitting up this game. So... it'll be a while. Enjoying reading the impressions, at least.

The mission structure almost hints at what Crisis Chore SHOULD have been.
So if this game can actually deliver where Crisis Bore so miserably failed... I'll be content.

Even if reading the story recaps in the manual made me cringe at every other sentence. :lol

Mikey Jr.

Kard8p3 said:
So I'm kind of worried about this game but I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan. Is this worth buying?

Yes. Playing this, you will realize how much you missed playing KH.

If anything, do it for the story. It starts off slow, but it does reveal some interesting things, and it's always neat to see side stories. Gonna play KH2 again after this, and it'll definitely feel like a more fulfilling experience.

Fuu

Kard8p3 said:
So I'm kind of worried about this game but I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan. Is this worth buying?
For someone who's not familiar with the series I'd have to ask what are their tastes and what they expect from the game but for a huge KH fan, definitely yes. Gameplay is fine with interesting new systems and you'll enjoy it plotwise too if you already know what went on during the other games.

It's what Mikey Jr. said, this really shows me how I missed playing KH. I'm considering finally biting the bullet and trying my way with KH2FM+ using a translation guide.

Kard8p3

Fuu said:
For someone who's not familiar with the series I'd have to ask what are their tastes and what they expect from the game but for a huge KH fan, definitely yes. Gameplay is fine with interesting new systems and you'll enjoy it plotwise too if you already know what went on during the other games.

It's what Mikey Jr. said, this really shows me how I missed playing KH. I'm considering finally biting the bullet and trying my way with KH2FM+ using a translation guide.

Well that's good to hear. I assume the KH gameplay translates well to the DS right? I'm also glad to hear that the plot is enjoyable as well because I'd been told the plot was nearly non-existent in this game.

Kard8p3 said:
Well that's good to hear. I assume the KH gameplay translates well to the DS right? I'm also glad to hear that the plot is enjoyable as well because I'd been told the plot was nearly non-existent in this game.

I'm a newcomer to the series with this game, which I guess is a bad idea, but I'd also recommend it to diehards. I skip a lot of the dialog because I have no context for it, but some moments that I've taken the time to appreciate have actually been pretty good.

Mejilan

Kard8p3 said:

I played almost nothing of it. (Just fast-forwarded through some cutscenes and futzed around a bit in the early bits of the game), but I was pretty surprised by how "authentic" it looked, sounded, and felt. From the title music to the menu chimes, from the art style/graphics, to the movement and semi-wonky jumping. It's more than recognizable as a Kingdom Hearts game, IMHO. Impressively so, even.

Granted, my only real exposure to the series is KH1 and CoM, but I plan on remedying that in a nice marathon that will encompass all 3 PS2 games followed by this bad-boy.

Picked it up a couple days ago, having a lot of fun with it. The panel system's very interesting, and the tidbits of info are neat.

This game and what I've heard about BBS makes me think that they really want to move away from the MP bar. I wonder if it'll hold for all future titles?

Fuu

Kard8p3 said:
They translated the 3D gameplay very well, I was expecting something clunky. The plot is less extensive than usual, yes, but it still goes places. I've been doing the extra challenges so I'm on day 95 at the moment (they still haven't gone too deep into the bigger misteries) but there's always a particular charisma in completing short daily missions and hanging out with your Nobody buddies after work. Having Lazy Afternoons and Sacred Moon playing all the time doesn't hurt either, I love those tracks.

There's near zero Disney interactions and nothing FF related besides the Moogle as far as I know. Regardless of that, I'm personally feeling a higher level of involvement between whatever I do as Roxas and the higher scheme of things than I felt in CoM.

Going OT now but as much as I liked CoM and although the card based gameplay + randomly generated rooms were consistently engaging, on the plot side there was a big disconnection between the Organization schemes and Sora
running around in fake memories of the Disney worlds
to me. It had many more cameos and Disney characters interactions than 358/2, but since
it was all made up an rearranged by Namine
, most of the time it felt empty (the actual Castle Oblivion conversations, scenes and fights were always great though). What I mean is, even if I'm only doing a quick recon mission on Agrabah with Xigbar making fun of Roxas (or even with Roxas alone), I like doing it much more than having to
go after a memory of Pinocchio inside Monstro again
. Using the
proper "real" enviroments
is a better use of recycled worlds imo.

(marked text are CoM spoilers.)

Just picked it up along with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. Watching the intro now. I like the montage of KH2 and (what I assume is) Re:COM scenes with the introduction of the organization members. It really amazes me what Square can do graphically. Yeah, it's no PS2 game, but it doesn't look bad at all.

Top Bottom