• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Thread of How do you even pronounce that

I got a few hours into this game earlier. Having been hyped for this game ever since announcement, I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I've only been to two worlds so far, but I've liked them, especially getting to travel around Twilight Town with Roxas again. My nostalgia for KH2 has definitely been kicking in, and Sanctuary playing for the intro helped in that regard. I'm really enjoying the interactions between Roxas and Axel, as well as
Xion opening up to Roxas.

I also think the panel system is pretty good. It's easy to get the hang of, but it allows a lot of different combinations. It's definitely an interesting idea, and it seems to have been executed well, so far.

I also laughed so hard at
the Moogle in the Organization cloak

So far, this game is definitely living up to my lofty expectations. I can't wait to play more.

Kard8p3 said:
I have only one question about the story. Does it take place before or after chain of memories?
The first couple of weeks happen before CoM. Then after that it takes place after it.

Kard8p3 said:
I have only one question about the story. Does it take place before or after chain of memories?

Seeing
as the whole organization is alive
, it would have to be before.

Edit: Spoilered just in case for those who haven't played COM.

Also, beaten.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kard8p3 said:
It
starts before with the full Organization. After some days, Castle Oblivion happens and while Sora is in the pod recovering the game keeps with Roxas's days.
. I haven't beat it yet but I'd guess it will go at least until the moment
Riku manages to beat Roxas and takes him to DiZ

Edit: basically, it takes place
before, during and after CoM

Harpuia

I am liking the game so far. It's alright, and the graphics are pretty good for a DS game. I'm up to day 52, and unlike the previous KH games, it doesn't start unbearably slow.

OFF TOPIC: I also picked up KH, as I never got it. Yeah, I played KH2, the CoM, then this, and KH at the same time. You couldn't imagine how confused I was with the story of KH2. :lol As for KH, it's.... well..... not very good. Playing it after playing KH2 made KH feel kind of outdated. I am hoping it gets better, as I am not impressed by the Deep Jungle and Wonderland, they're kinda boring. When does KH start to pick up? NOTE: I liked KH2, a lot.

Spruchy said:
Game is before, during, and after events of CoM.

Game occurs in a timewarp where Roxas goes back in time and kills Xion so he can have two copies of his favourite Keyblade, thereby erasing her from existence and explaining why no one talks about her in KH2.

The above is depressingly close to what actually happens.

Fuu

Wtf Pure, if it's
really close
it would be much appreciated if you had spoiler tagged the first sentence instead of the second...

hamchan

Fuu said:
Wtf Pure, if it's
really close
it would be much appreciated if you had spoiler tagged the first sentence instead of the second...
Exactly. Bad spoiler tagging FTL.

I'm only 5 hours in and this game is kinda bad so far. The plot is advancing really slowly and the same KH2 settings and music do bore me, probably because I finished KH2 three times. At least the Xion part is intriguing and the final battle I assume is Deep Dive so that should be epic enough to spur me to finish this.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I was going to be picking up 358 tomorrow anyways, but while at work I was thumbing through the strategy guide for lack of anything better to do, and I'm glad I did. I am fucking sold.

King Mickey is an unlockable character for mission mode/co-op

Hell yes.

I don't care how bad the plot is, that is worth it.

Played a bit further, and I'm up to Day 74 now.

I was surprised to see
Pete
when I returned to Agrabah. I hadn't expected that. It's nice, though.
I'm glad they're setting up some of that stuff from Kingdom Hearts 2, since Pete just kind of showed up out of nowhere in that one.
I had to groan at going back to the Cave of Wonders again, though. Do Not Want.

Roxas and Axel's reunion was nice. Well played, and fairly subdued overall. I enjoyed the missing Xion plot, and getting to interact some with Hayner, Pence and Olette. It seems like Xion and Roxas are going to be spending a lot more time together now, so I'll be interested in seeing how that turns out. Heading back to Beast's Castle was also nice, although I hope it doesn't remain so empty...

Overall, my biggest complaint is how few characters there have been to interact with so far. I hope that changes as the game progresses further. Combat is still very fun, and I really like the panel system. I think they did a great job with this one.

hamchan

Mikey Jr. said:
The constant "eating ice-cream after every mission" spiel is getting really fucking irritating.
I agree. It's like they have no story so they're filling it up with ice cream eating.

Kard8p3

hamchan said:
I agree. It's like they have no story so they're filling it up with ice cream eating.

This is what bothers me. No one seems to have a definitive answer on the story. Some say that it has a great story but then some say it's like there's no story.

Kard8p3 said:
This is what bothers me. No one seems to have a definitive answer on the story. Some say that it has a great story but then some say it's like there's no story.

We can all agree it's better than KH2. :lol

hamchan

Kard8p3 said:
I've only played around 5-6 hours though so hopefully it'll pick up.

16 hours so far(replaying missions and challenges) and enjoying it a lot. story is pretty good so far. playing on standard and the game feels much harder than KH2. trying to grind but enemies dont seem to give lots of xp. when you equip block it feels like theres a delay when you press the button to block and when roxas actually does it. it isnt a big delay but it takes a few tries to get the timing down.

NTom64

Really enjoying it so far, it's a good mix of KH1 and KH2.

Nice to see some actual platforming in again (most notably in
the Cave of Wonders
. Also nice that the jumping controls aren't utter shit like in KH1 :lol

Combat, again, is more along the lines of KH1, though you can still get the flashy "WOOOO, SPINNIN' THROUGH THE AIR N' SHIT" Keyblade moves from KH2, with the right Keyblade.

I'm currently recording the English version. which can be found here, if anyone wants to check it out before they decide to buy. Spoilers, obviously.

My copy should be arriving next week, can't wait to play it properly :D

NTom64 said:
Really enjoying it so far, it's a good mix of KH1 and KH2.

Nice to see some actual platforming in again (most notably in
the Cave of Wonders
. Also nice that the jumping controls aren't utter shit like in KH1 :lol

Combat, again, is more along the lines of KH1, though you can still get the flashy "WOOOO, SPINNIN' THROUGH THE AIR N' SHIT" Keyblade moves from KH2, with the right Keyblade.

I'm currently recording the English version. which can be found here, if anyone wants to check it out before they decide to buy. Spoilers, obviously.

My copy should be arriving next week, can't wait to play it properly :D

Looks like I got something to occupy me until I get a job. :D

Hows magic?

BrandNew said:
fuck your shit, I loved KH2. :-/

Actually, I loved Roxas' aspect of the story, the rest was typical KH. But it was still better than KH1

KH1 was great in its simplicity, KH2 tried to be "dark" but ended up convoluted.

I kinda wish that Roxas got more play time there though.

NTom64

Fimbulvetr said:
Looks like I got something to occupy me until I get a job. :D

Hows magic?

Press the X button to scroll down to magic, press A, X again to scroll to whatever magic you want (fire, cure etc.) and A to cast it.

Simple as can be, and easy to do when on the move. At this stage in the game, I tend to spam Fire more than I would normally, since the Heartless are starting to get stronger. Though I literally had to on of the more recent missions I did, as
Xion is having trouble summoning the Keyblade, so Roxas lends her his for the mission. You get a stick in its place. Yes, that's right. Not a wooden sword like in KH1, a fucking stick. He picks it up from the ground out of nowhere, too. Surely either him or Xion should have tripped over it when they teleported in.

Fuu

NTom64 said:
Press the X button to scroll down to magic, press A, X again to scroll to whatever magic you want (fire, cure etc.) and A to cast it.

Simple as can be, and easy to do when on the move.
Also, 4 shortcut slots you can access by holding L and pressing one of the buttons (or L+R in type B camera).

NTom64 said:

Simple as can be, and easy to do when on the move. At this stage in the game, I tend to spam Fire than I would normally, since the Heartless are starting to get stronger. Though I literally had to on of the more recent missions I did, as
Xion is having trouble summoning the Keyblade, so Roxas lends her his for the mission. You get a stick in its place. Yes, that's right. Not a wooden sword like in KH1, a fucking stick. He picks it up from the ground out of nowhere, too. Surely either him or Xion should have tripped over it when they teleported in.

:lol

That part was funny as hell.
I love how powerful the stick is, because it's capable of taking down the heartless just like the keyblade (I didn't really notice it being weaker), and was completely unscathed after the mission was over.

Fuu

watervengeance said:

That part was funny as hell.
I love how powerful the stick is, because it's capable of taking down the heartless just like the keyblade (I didn't really notice it being weaker), and was completely unscathed after the mission was over.
It was way weaker than
the Keyblade I was using. Only by using magic and having Xion attacking that the enemy HP would go down decently.
But it's still a
super stick
to actually manage to inflict damage and to stay intact after all that. :lol

Fuu said:
It was way weaker than
the Keyblade I was using. Only by using magic and having Xion attacking that the enemy HP would go down decently.
But it's still a
super stick
to actually manage to inflict damage and to stay intact after all that. :lol

Did the stick release hearts?

Fuu

Fimbulvetr said:
Did the stick release hearts?
You mean after defeating the heartless? Yes. But any weapon used by anyone is supposed to release a heart from emblem type heartless when they're killed. What happens to the heart after that is that depends on the it being released by a keyblade or not (they elaborate a bit about it in this game too).

Mikey Jr.

Does anyone do challenges?

I find them annoying. I do the mission crown ones, those are alright. But when a challenge says "Do it in record time", it pisses me off to no end.

Fuu

I do them all but as I said in another post I love doing this kind of shit (challenges, time attacks, collectathons, etc).

The time attack ones are mostly easy to get all tokens since you can skip most fights. Even more if you're over leveled.

I do the challenge missions, but some of them are pretty tough. I'm especially bad at the emblem collection missions.

The crown missions are fun, but I can't seem to find a character that I really like to use.

I've been playing around with the challenges some. I really can't imagine how difficult some of these might be on Proud Mode, though. There are definitely a lot of ones that are pretty challenging, but they can be pretty fun, too. It's a nice way to get some extra rewards.

I'm glad that I've started encountering more characters in the worlds, as well. It's still a pretty small amount, but it seems to be getting better, at least.

At day 22. I kind of like this panel system, but do I seriously have to put a lvl up thing in a slot just to be as strong as I'm supposed to be? At least let us stack them.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
KH1 was great in its simplicity, KH2 tried to be "dark" but ended up convoluted.

I kinda wish that Roxas got more play time there though.

I'm kinda with BrandNew on this one. I thought KH2 was better than KH1 in just about every possible way, including story. The Ansem thing was a bit silly at times, but I loved the idea of Nobodies, Roxas, the Organization, etc.

Can't wait to get this.

kle89

Neo Member
This is the first KH game that i've tried and so far i'm loving it. Will have to pick up KH1 & 2.. then BBS!

omg rite said:
I'm kinda with BrandNew on this one. I thought KH2 was better than KH1 in just about every possible way, including story. The Ansem thing was a bit silly at times, but I loved the idea of Nobodies, Roxas, the Organization, etc.

Can't wait to get this.

I also agree. I liked how KH1 was subtly dark but I liked KH2's openly dark plot better. I think a big part of it was that I wanted a more Final Fantasy story rather than a Disney story, complete with convulsion and villains like organization XIII. Yeah I know KH1 was like that to some extent, but
Maleficient was believed to be the main villain for most of the game

I also legitimately felt sorry for Roxas. Only person I felt sorry for in KH1 was Riku but not as much as Roxas.

omg rite said:

Can't wait to get this.

I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I was so glad when this game was announced. Roxas was criminally underused in Kingdom Hearts 2.

I don't really know why so many folks shit on Kingdom Hearts 2's story. I thought it was captivating and enjoyable. It wasn't the greatest story ever told, but there were a lot of great concepts, and I thought it had a lot of genuine, emotional moments.

Dire

What happened to the quality control in Wonder Land? For a game with such great graphics and generally high production values throughout, that level is just visually appalling and looks like the first project of some guy who learned about skyboxes and sprites about 10 minutes ago. I'm far from a graphics snob but I hate going to that area simply since it looks so damn bad especially compared to the rest of the game. At least there's only a couple of missions there.

omg rite said:

Can't wait to get this.

To each his own, but better in every possible way? Nuh-uh.

KH2 was lacking from a core gameplay perspective:

*Even more button mashy than KH1.
**KH1 actually encouraged players to defeat enemies strategically by rewarding them with extra experience(the tech system, something I think they should return to the series.).
*Imaginative level design was pretty non-existent in KH2.
**There was a much smaller emphasis on exploration.

Things that were better in KH2 from a gameplay perspective:
*Camera
*Gummi Ships

I'm more excited for 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep because they take the "oh look how shiny that is" of KH2 and combine that with the combat, platforming, and level design of KH1. Well at least I'm hoping BBS does that.

hamchan

Fimbulvetr said:
To each his own, but better in every possible way? Nuh-uh.

KH2 was lacking from a core gameplay perspective:

*Even more button mashy than KH1.
**KH1 actually encouraged players to defeat enemies strategically by rewarding them with extra experience(the tech system, something I think they should return to the series.).
*Imaginative level design was pretty non-existent in KH2.
**There was a much smaller emphasis on exploration.

Things that were better in KH2 from a gameplay perspective:
*Camera
*Gummi Ships

I'm more excited for 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep because they take the "oh look how shiny that is" of KH2 and combine that with the combat, platforming, and level design of KH1. Well at least I'm hoping BBS does that.

I'm fine with the KH2 battle system. Pretty much perfect. It was the level design and the difficulty that brought the game down. For KH3 they should make critical mode an option from the start instead of in FM+

Fuu

Damn Infernal Engine. Took me a few deaths to discover I could
deflect the cannonballs to kill the archer assholes

Man, it took me forever against the Ant Lion to realize that
you could hit those blocks back at it once it started doing the whirlwind thing.

NTom64

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Man, it took me forever against the Ant Lion to realize that
you could hit those blocks back at it once it started doing the whirlwind thing.

I got lucky during that fight.

Blocked the first sandblast, got hit by the second and air-dashed onto a tall stone block. He charged at me, rammed into said block, and got dazed long enough for me to take an entire bar of his health off :lol

That tornado segment can go fucking die, though.

MAtgS

Fimbulvetr said:
The videos shown so far of BbS doesn't showcase any particularly noticeable platforming aside from the ball of yarn.

This is a good game but certain things are super annoying.

1. Not being able to quickly compare stats between equipment without equiping/unequiping.

2. Setting a limit on item pickups is incredibly annoying. Especially when enemies drop so much stuff. I find myself dropping items just so I can get the all the chests and not do the level over again.

3. Level up panels is just plain stupid. You can fill up your panels so easily and the fact that you have to use some up just for crap like this is ridiculous.

4. Not being able to stack items

Borman said:
Came with the slipcover :) And i got my 10$ credit

I just got mine today. This is the sloppiest I've ever seen Amazon mail something. Thrown loosely into a large cardboard-y envelope way too large for it. The slip cover was even damaged a little because of the sliding around, but it's not a big deal. Still, I've always trusted Amazon's shipping up until now, presuming I was buying from them direct. I really hope this was a fluke.

Top Bottom