• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Thread of How do you even pronounce that

postcards and poster are gamestop only I think. The sleeve is nice though, has the symbols/logos of various factions in KH(like the special edition kingdom hearts DSi)

ExtraKr1spy said:
postcards and poster are gamestop only I think. The sleeve is nice though, has the symbols/logos of various factions in KH(like the special edition kingdom hearts DSi)
Oh! I like the sleeve though. I can't wait to play this tonight.

btkadams

im on like day 28 or something now. so far, i'm really enjoying the game. it feels like its pretty close to ps2 gameplay style so i'm totally down. the story is slow but i don't really mind. we will see what i think down the road. i'm a kingdom hearts fan so i will definitely be finishing this no matter what haha.

Plywood said:
Well since noone posted it:
668078043_nANh2-L.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/10/5/

:lol

I must have played way too many RPGs since I didn't think the tutorials were that bad.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
cosmicblizzard said:

I must have played way too many RPGs since I didn't think the tutorials were that bad.
I haven't played this but the KH2 seasalt Idontgiveashitabout Roxas Icecream tutorial was enough for me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Fuck the stealth missions. >=[
I don't have a problem with the "dodge this cone of view" ones but I do wonder who thought that terrible following
Pete
sequence was a fun idea. :lol

Fuu said:
I don't have a problem with the "dodge this cone of view" ones but I do wonder who thought that terrible following
Pete
If I just had to avoid his cone of view, then I'd be fine. But the fact that I have to avoid his cone and keep my cone on him too sucks.

Fuu

Jet Grind Radio! said:
If I just had to avoid his cone of view, then I'd be fine. But the fact that I have to avoid his cone and keep my cone on him too sucks.
Yup. It takes a long time too with him knocking on random walls. I'm glad it didn't happen again, at least until the point where I'm at in the game right now (but I still had to do it again in challenge mode, ouch).

Fuu said:
Yup. It takes a long time too with him knocking on random walls. I'm glad it didn't happen again, at least until the point where I'm at in the game right now (but I still had to do it again in challenge mode, ouch).
What day are you on so far?

NTom64

SuperSonic1305 said:
I fucking hate Lumiere and Cogsworth. Just when you think you've got their pattern down BAM they turn in your direction.

Lumiere is worse in that regard, IMO. At least Cogsworth turns slowly, Lumiere changes direction instantly, and his view cone covers a massive area.

Fuu

Lumiere always screws with me when I'm coming from Beast's room because I tend to forget his cone gets a good part of the stairs. I'll be there calmly waiting for him to do his stuff and bam.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
What day are you on so far?
Day 224.

Fuu said:
Lumiere always screws with me when I'm coming from Beast's room because I tend to forget his cone gets a good part of the stairs. I'll be there calmly waiting for him to do his stuff and bam.

Day 224.
DAIYUM! I'm only on day 74, I think.

NTom64

I'm also on Day 224, coincidentally enough.

Surprised that
Guard Armour
actually does something now. As for the hover ghost things from Halloween Town
which appear in the second round of the tournament
, Jesus Christ did they bump up the cheapness on them in this game.

Twice as fast, their possession attack drains about 80% of your health (and comes without warning if you're standing still) and they constantly move out of your Keyblade's range.

Crewnh said:
Well he is a candelabra. :lol

Not just a candelabra, but a walking talking candelabra. And wow, that seems so obvious now that you've pointed it out :lol

Fuu said:
Pete

I kind of liked that, because it was really different from a normal mission.

Lumiere drives me crazy, though.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Just a yes or no, please.

Is High Jump/Double Jump something you just get for beating a standard level?

I've noticed a lot of chests and missions that would need it that I'm passing already. :lol

Tucah

you speak so well
Princess Skittles said:
Just a yes or no, please.

Is High Jump/Double Jump something you just get for beating a standard level?

I've noticed a lot of chests and missions that would need it that I'm passing already. :lol

Yep, you recieve high jump after a normal mission.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, aerora or whatever SUCKS.

Does no damage and its just supposed to knock an enemy into the air. Fuck that. Atleast Aero does damage and has a chance of knocking them into the air.

So far I haven't found magic that I like. I thought I was going to like Fira, but it doesnt track the guy, so fuck that.

Thundara is too sporadic for me. Good for large groups of enemies, but I like magic that focuses on 1 enemy.

Blizzard is all right. Havent tried blizzara. I don't like the fact that blizzard makes stops in the air as it's travelling.

Honestly, aero is the best so far. Plus it sometimes knocks guys into the air. So I pretty much stacked my panels FULL of aero. Like, I have 17 casts of aero at level 6 or 7 I think.

I am also dissapointed with cura. The fact that it doesnt heal me right away annoys me.

Hopefully the 3rd tier magic becomes more to my liking.

theJwac

Can someone who has played this game tell me whether or not I need to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 prior to playing this? I mean, is it going to completely leave me in the dark if I don't play them?

theJwac said:
Can someone who has played this game tell me whether or not I need to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 prior to playing this? I mean, is it going to completely leave me in the dark if I don't play them?
You should have played Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. The game takes place a little bit near the end of Kingdom Hearts, covers the time during Chain of Memories and leads directly into Kingdom Hearts II. There's a lot of callbacks toward 1 and CoM, and then there's a lot of foreshadowing towards II.

Mikey Jr.

theJwac said:

Not playing Kingdom Hearts 1 you can PROBABLY get away with. Chain of Memories is getting a bit tougher, but it is still passable not playing it, but just barely.

But not playing Kingdom Hearts 2 would be a problem. I would say to not even bother playing if you haven't played KH2. You will have absolutely ZERO FUCKING IDEA what is going on.

This game will explain nothing to you.

Kard8p3

Just finished the game with 24 hours on the clock and level 57. I have to say this game was incredibly awesome. From the get go I figured I would have a problem with the camera but once I mapped camera movement to the L and R buttons the camera cause me pretty much no problems at all. I enjoyed the mission based style of progression this game had as it seemed to fit really well with a handheld game.

I really liked the games story (I'd put it just behind KH2 FM+.)
Finding out the Xion was just a faceless puppet who began to form her own personality through interaction with Roxas was odd but pretty cool. I guess since whoever saw her saw her based on their own memories she somehow got permanently stuck with some of Soras memories but I don't know if I'm completely clear on that. Having Xigbar see Xion as Ven was a great touch and I guess that lets us know that he'll be in birth by sleep. I really liked the scenes with Saix and Axel as well. Finding out axels real name was cool and it seems like they had a plan to overthrow Xemnas.

Really this was a great game and now I'm going to have to get a PSP so I can play Birth by Sleep.

Kard8p3 said:
I guess since whoever saw her saw her based on their own memories she somehow got permanently stuck with some of Soras memories but I don't know if I'm completely clear on that.

She was made to interfere with the restoration process of Sora's memories. So she assimilated them slowly do to prolonged contact with Roxas, as Roxas and Sora are connected. The beginning of the game, the only image anyone saw was her in a hood, but the more she hung out with Roxas, the more defined her look became in his eyes...so she started looking like Kairi, which is Sora's most personal and strongest memory.

Xion's appearance reflected what the viewer's connection to Sora was. So Axel initially saw her as Namine, by the end of the game she looked like either Roxas or Sora to him. Xigbar saw her as Ventus (we don't know what the connection between Sora, Roxas and Ventus is though). Saix always saw her in her hooded form. Riku saw her as Sora. In the Secret Reports, Xemnas mentions that she looked like the "Hero", i.e. Sora. And at the end of the game, even Roxas saw her as Sora since she assimilated so much of Sora's memories.

Hope that cleared some stuff up. >_>

Kard8p3

Crewnh said:
She was made to interfere with the restoration process of Sora's memories. So she assimilated them slowly do to prolonged contact with Roxas, as Roxas and Sora are connected. The beginning of the game, the only image anyone saw was her in a hood, but the more she hung out with Roxas, the more defined her look became in his eyes...so she started looking like Kairi, which is Sora's most personal and strongest memory.

Xion's appearance reflected what the viewer's connection to Sora was. So Axel initially saw her as Namine, by the end of the game she looked like either Roxas or Sora to him. Xigbar saw her as Ventus (we don't know what the connection between Sora, Roxas and Ventus is though). Saix always saw her in her hooded form. Riku saw her as Sora. In the Secret Reports, Xemnas mentions that she looked like the "Hero", i.e. Sora. And at the end of the game, even Roxas saw her as Sora since she assimilated so much of Sora's memories.

Hope that cleared some stuff up. >_>

Yep that just about clears it up as much as it can be so thank you.

Kard8p3

Mikey Jr. said:
Not playing Kingdom Hearts 1 you can PROBABLY get away with. Chain of Memories is getting a bit tougher, but it is still passable not playing it, but just barely.

But not playing Kingdom Hearts 2 would be a problem. I would say to not even bother playing if you haven't played KH2. You will have absolutely ZERO FUCKING IDEA what is going on.

This game will explain nothing to you.

This is about right but I'd still say you should probably just play all of them before playing this just in case.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Ugh, yeah. It took hours for this game to pick up the pace. Unfortunately for me, when it finally did, I had tests to study for.

I guess I can see why it would be off putting to some. On the other hand, it is a very solid and full-fledged title though, so yeah

I haven't bought a DS game in years, and I have never played anything in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, but I've always been interested in this. Entertaining the idea of picking it up.

Played some Co-op the other day. It was pretty awesome, but it's way too difficult to try and hurt your friends. You can't lock on to them, which sucks.

So, one thing I'm liking is that there's a more obvious need for magic. I mean yeah, you could still beat most of these guys with normal attacks, but for a number of them it'd be an exercise in tedium. Making the "block" action more useful also helps.

Also an interesting choice to make each level of magic do something different, instead of being the same thing but more powerful.

Kard8p3

watervengeance said:
Played some Co-op the other day. It was pretty awesome, but it's way too difficult to try and hurt your friends. You can't lock on to them, which sucks.

Yeah not being able to lock on to friends kind of sucks but beyond that it really is awesome. I just wish they could have found a way to get it running well online.

Beat the game earlier today. It's kinda funny how the ending cutscenes all have one distinct line that completely screw over any of the emotional buildup they were aiming for.

I was thinking of getting this, but I watched IGN's video review and they said that you won't understand the story if you haven't played the other Kingdom Hearts games, which I haven't done. I am interested in the KH universe though. Is the original Kingdom Hearts available on PSN by any chance? Or coming to PSN in the future?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
ToyMachine228 said:
I was thinking of getting this, but I watched IGN's video review and they said that you won't understand the story if you haven't played the other Kingdom Hearts games, which I haven't done. I am interested in the KH universe though. Is the original Kingdom Hearts available on PSN by any chance? Or coming to PSN in the future?

The original Kingdom Hearts is a PS2 game.

Pureauthor said:
Beat the game earlier today. It's kinda funny how the ending cutscenes all have one distinct line that completely screw over any of the emotional buildup they were aiming for.
You're talking about the
"Who will I eat ice cream with" line, right? Yeah, the line does seem pretty bad at first glance. But looking at the beginning of the game, Axel tells Roxas how a friend is someone you hang out with, who you eat ice cream with, etc. So if you look at it from Roxas' perspective, it is kind of touching...well at least I thought so. I still laughed my ass off when I first heard him say it though.

ToyMachine228 said:
Kingdom Hearts is a PS2 game. I'm sure you can find plenty of copies at EB and Gamestop, same goes for Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II.

Zerokku said:
The original Kingdom Hearts is a PS2 game.

...I'm aware of that. But isn't Sony planning to bring certain PS2 games to PSN? And my PS3 isn't backwards compatible, and I refuse to break my PS2 out of storage.

Crewnh said:
You're talking about the
"Who will I eat ice cream with" line, right? Yeah, the line does seem pretty bad at first glance. But looking at the beginning of the game, Axel tells Roxas how a friend is someone you hang out with, who you eat ice cream with, etc. So if you look at it from Roxas' perspective, it is kind of touching...well at least I thought so. I still laughed my ass off when I first heard him say it though.

Don't forget when
Riku proclaims that he will 'unleash the dark power I've been holding back'. That is easily the cheesiest line in the entire game. And is it not helped that what happens afterwards can be summed up as 'Is Xehanort's Heartless going to have to choke a bitch?'

Mikey Jr.

Beat the game. I personally wasn't a fan of the d-pad for controls. I realize that there was nothing else SE could do, just saying that sometimes my hands would get numb controlling it. There was a flying boss and you had to chase him. What a fucking horrible battle.

Anyways, some questions/comments about the game.

1. Did Riku ever lose his heart in KH1? If yes, then where is his nobody?

2. What do you get for beating proud mode? I just beat normal. Is there a secret movie or anything?

3. I wish the ending was more like deep dive. With rain coming down, and a lot more neoshadows. When the scene first played, I was like "holy shit, im going to play deep dive!", then it kinda let me down.

Anyways, the game isn't the greatest, but it is an AMAZING lead in to KH2 but only if you played KH2 first. Play KH2, then this game, then KH2 again. Haven't played KH2 in years, so I plan on starting tonight.

Top Bottom