• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Thread of How do you even pronounce that

Up to around Day 119 now.
Vacation segment was pretty good, but that stupid Grandstander mini-game is still beyond me...:lol

More plot related stuff is picking up with Axel going back to Castle Oblivion and some snippets of info on Xion's past coming out.

And oh look, it's
Olympus Coliseum
, for the first time in the history of Kingdom Hearts. What a brand new world!

SuperSonic1305 said:
2. Setting a limit on item pickups is incredibly annoying. Especially when enemies drop so much stuff. I find myself dropping items just so I can get the all the chests and not do the level over again.

Well, once you get the backpack extender it isn't as much of an issue. Besides, I always find myself with way more Iron then I could every possibly need, so I have no qualms about dropping that or a Blazing Shard or something.

3. Level up panels is just plain stupid. You can fill up your panels so easily and the fact that you have to use some up just for crap like this is ridiculous.

Yeah, I wish they didn't make you use Levels for the panels. I enjoy most of the other things the panel system does, but that is kind of lame.

SuperSonic1305 said:
This is a good game but certain things are super annoying.

1. Not being able to quickly compare stats between equipment without equiping/unequiping.

Legit complaint, though, it's a very minor one.

SuperSonic1305 said:
2. Setting a limit on item pickups is incredibly annoying. Especially when enemies drop so much stuff. I find myself dropping items just so I can get the all the chests and not do the level over again.

Really? This bugs you? You really worry that much about the millionth Crimson Shard? :p

Anyways, later you get panels that increase backpack size.

SuperSonic1305 said:
3. Level up panels is just plain stupid. You can fill up your panels so easily and the fact that you have to use some up just for crap like this is ridiculous.

Really? I love the idea. Besides, you get so many slots that I honestly can just shove all the level ups on at once and still have tons of room.

Also.
Level Doubler is your friend.

SuperSonic1305 said:
4. Not being able to stack items

Pansy.

If your so worried about healing Cure and Hi-Ethers works perfectly. :)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
To each his own, but better in every possible way? Nuh-uh.

KH2 was lacking from a core gameplay perspective:

*Even more button mashy than KH1.

Slightly, but not that much. If you play on Hard, it plays pretty much like KH1. I will say that magic was definitely useless, which sucked. But the rest of the battle system was far more fluid.

*Imaginative level design was pretty non-existent in KH2.

Completely disagree.

**There was a much smaller emphasis on exploration.

There was, but the exploration in KH1 wasn't very good.

KH2 was a far better game imo.

Day 51. I'm glad the stories progressing now a lot faster than it was at the beginning. Also, let me just say how much I love
organization XIII moogle. He reminds of the merchant in Resident Evil 4, but in moogle form.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I used to see Xaldin as the calm type but he's actually a grumpy jerk. :lol

Fuu said:
I used to see Xaldin as the calm type but he's actually a grumpy jerk. :lol

He's not grumpy so much as arrogant and standoffish. At least from what I've played.

I love Xigbar's grin. Just screams 'Yeah, I'm screwing with you and you know it.'

omg rite said:
Slightly, but not that much. If you play on Hard, it plays pretty much like KH1. I will say that magic was definitely useless, which sucked. But the rest of the battle system was far more fluid.

I wasn't talking about fluidity, I was talking about the actual ability to stop spamming X(or /\) and use a bit of strategy. Making magic useful is part of that.

omg rite said:
Completely disagree.

About what, the straight areas with no need to jump or re explore ever? Any treasure chest you needed was usually on the straight path and the closest they were to hidden was being on a ledge you could easily see.

omg rite said:
There was, but the exploration in KH1 wasn't very good.

You didn't like going back to worlds with new abilities to solve stuff?

omg rite said:
KH2 was a far better game imo.

Like I said, to each his own. But I like the first better.

Fuu

About KH2, I'm just glad they're moving away from the drive forms (3 different characters with different skills always available with separate cool off bars in BbS). It's a great idea in concept and I simply loved what you could do while you were using them, but locking all the multiple forms cool stylish moves behind a single bar that takes forever to fill and doesn't last that long wasn't a good part of that idea at all. Making magic useful again will be nice too, here's hoping.

Making Donald and/or Goofy obligatory to have around if you wanted to activate the forms is silly too. Goes against the idea you're visiting Disney worlds and would want to have the available character from that world in your party during said visit. Wanted to do that? Give up using at least one of the forms.

hamchan said:
Most of the Organization were assholes to Roxas :lol
At least Xigbar and Larxene are funny while doing it. :lol

Pureauthor said:
He's not grumpy so much as arrogant and standoffish. At least from what I've played.
That works too.

Mikey Jr.

Some things I hate

1. Yes, a limit on items you can carry is stupid. Especially when you're backpack is full and you get to a chest that says "bronze" and you need one more bronze to make a new weapon. Atleast allow me to drop items.

2. When some new info pops at the top of the screen and you cant use magic or talk to anyone.

I was in a challenge that says don't jump. Ok, easy enough. I get to a boss and at the top it says defeat the boss or whatever. While that was up there, quickly tapped L plus B for my fire. Nope, I jumped instead.
Fuck....

Fuu

Mikey Jr. said:
Holy shit how!?!?!?!

Please tell me. So many instances where there was a fucking chest with what I wanted, but I was packed.
Just press X in the item menu until you reach the "backpack" tab and select any item with A, it'll show "use" and "discard". You can't drop what's in the "item" tab though, only use.

And when the info at the top pops in, pressing A or B during the missions will make it disappear instantly, and it doesn't affect your actions either. Doesn't work at the castle room though so I guess that's what you're referring too (but you can't use magic there either).

Mikey Jr. said:
Some things I hate

1. Yes, a limit on items you can carry is stupid. Especially when you're backpack is full and you get to a chest that says "bronze" and you need one more bronze to make a new weapon. Atleast allow me to drop items.

2. When some new info pops at the top of the screen and you cant use magic or talk to anyone.

I was in a challenge that says don't jump. Ok, easy enough. I get to a boss and at the top it says defeat the boss or whatever. While that was up there, quickly tapped L plus B for my fire. Nope, I jumped instead.
Fuck....

Nimble Gear is your friend. :D

Kard8p3

I have one question in regard to the story but if possible just answer with a yes or a no instead of posting any big spoilers. Does any of the stuff from KH 2 Final Mix+ that involved Xemnas looking for the room of awakening and trying to find his other "friend" get brought up in this game?

Fuu

Kard8p3 said:
I have one question in regard to the story but if possible just answer with a yes or a no instead of posting any big spoilers. Does any of the stuff from KH 2 Final Mix+ that involved Xemnas looking for the room of awakening and trying to find his other "friend" get brought up in this game?
Yes, they mention about it.

I don't know about some of you, I actually used magic much more in KHII than I did in KHI. :-/

I would always attack, about to finish a combo, and usually end on Fire or Thunder to finish it. Occasionally I'd throw in Blizzard in the middle. Magic was great in KHII, I just wish it was used more for puzzle solving.

Fuu

BrandNew said:
I don't know about some of you, I actually used magic much more in KHII than I did in KHI. :-/

I would always attack, about to finish a combo, and usually end on Fire or Thunder to finish it. Occasionally I'd throw in Blizzard in the middle. Magic was great in KHII, I just wish it was used more for puzzle solving.
I used a lot of it too, I like using magic attacks (I'd LOVE to have the magic attack animations from the Wisdom and Final forms in normal Sora). It's also great that it was more integrated for use between combos. However, when I say it was useless I'm talking about the fact that it doesn't make considerably more damage over normal attacks and that the enemies were so freaking weak that you can breeze through the game without even using it. In fact I have two friends who button mashed their way through the entire game. I'd tell them that using magic is fun but... :/

Girlfriend is currently playing through Kingdom Hearts 1 for the first time, and this has spurred to me to reading up on what the fuck I played for 2 games and all these other spin-offs.

So consider this chronological spoilers for possibly/probably Birth by Sleep, this 358/2 Days game, KH1, CoM and KH2:

Master Xehanort (bald guy in BbS) somehow takes over Terra's body, loses all his memories but gets white hair, wakes up but remembers his name as Xehanort and is taken care of by Ansem, goes crazy and becomes a Heartless which also makes a Nobody called Xemnas because he has decided to rename his Heartless self as Ansem. One of his plans is to use the Keyblade masters to make Kingdom Hearts (because presumably you need a moon made of hearts to get one back each) by trying to manipulate Sora, his Nobody Roxas and then when that doesnt prove enough he just replicates another being from Sora's memories who turns out to be a girl because Sora was mostly thinking of Kairi at the time, she also appears as Ven from BbS to one of the Organisation13 members because he'd seen Ven before which suggests Ven is somehow linked to Sora, and she ultimately gets absorbed into Roxas and Roxas himself ultimately gets absorbed into Sora who defeats Xemnas once and for all.

I'd quite like to shake Nomura's hand now :lol That is some truly complex yet utter mind-numbing bullshit. God damn, I really like Kingdom Hearts but completely fucking hate it at the same time.

27 hours in now and love the panel system. Munny seems pretty useless for now.

kinda wished there was a way to explore the worlds freely though.
Would have loved to go through the Coliseum tournaments again.

I'm about 17 hours in now, and up to Day 151. The story is getting more interesting with
some sort of clash between Xion and Riku? And it seems like Xion is pretty shaken up about stuff, too. I feel like I haven't even spent that much time at the Coliseum and now Halloween Town is open, too. I definitely like the aesthetic it has in this game, so that's a plus.

I feel like the panel system just keeps getting better and better. I really enjoy the way this game is set up with all of the customization. I'm only up to 25 Challenge Sigils right now, though. I should try and get more of those so I can get better prizes.

So I finally beat the game. Totally awesome. :D

Thought Xion would be shoehorned really badly but the game makes a great explanation for her part in the KH series and why she's no longer here. Those last seven days were definitely the best part of the game, especially day 357 and 358.
Fighting Xion who became a clone of Sora, watching her fade from existence and begging Roxas to return to the World that Never Was and stop Xemnas and free the hearts they've collected all year just made me nearly tear up. Her theme music helped a lot, so damn melancholy. Then there's the final day, playing as the dual-weilding Roxas, watching him turn his and Xion's keyblades into Oblivion and Oathkeeper and then eventually fighting Riku and reliving Deep Dive through gameplay...just wow.

Oh and how about
Xigbar seeing Xion as Ventus? That was damn intriguing

Birth By Sleep can't come soon enough.

Just beat the mission at day 74. I'm assuming there's some significance to
Xion having her hood off when Roxas is talking to her but it being on when Axel is talking despite us not seeing her put it back on.
Thought that was really interesting and hope there is some deep meaning to it.

btkadams

looking at getting this today. the only game i have for my ds is pokemon platinum lol so i hope this is worth it.

the general consensus is that this is a sure-buy for kingdom hearts fans?

Borman

cosmicblizzard said:
Xion having her hood off when Roxas is talking to her but it being on when Axel is talking despite us not seeing her put it back on.
I just assumed it was a glitch to be honest, like they didnt mean it to happen. Since it happens just after that as well, it was really bothering me

Borman said:
I just assumed it was a glitch to be honest, like they didnt mean it to happen. Since it happens just after that as well, it was really bothering me

Dammit, how come everything that I think is some kind of subtle foreshadowing ends up being a glitch!? :lol At least stuff like that is always good for a laugh, especially when it's something completely noticeable.

Edit:
Crewnh said:
There's an in-story reason for that, it's not a glitch.

Yay!

NTom64

cosmicblizzard said:

There's quite a bit of meaning, yeah.

Everyone sees Xion in different ways.

Roxas sees her as per usual.

Axel also see her as Roxas does, once they become friends. Until that point, Axel sees her with her hood on, and every scene with the three of them together with Xion having her hood up is from Axel's point of view.

Sai'X (and I'm assuming the rest of the Organisation) sees her the same way Axel first did.

Also, as Crewnh pointed out, Xigbar sees her as Ventus/Ven from Birth by Sleep. I'd go into why this is, but it's only a theory and would make my mind explode from trying to explain it, and yours from trying to read it.

SecretBonusPoint said:
That is some truly complex yet utter mind-numbing bullshit. God damn, I really like Kingdom Hearts but completely fucking hate it at the same time.

You and me both. I only made it 3/4 into your spoiler text before I passed out. I think I'm going to stop playing 358/2 Days now. :/

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
While I have several complaints against KH 358/2's story (Which SecretBonusPoint summed up quite well), I'll be damned if I said the game isn't fun as hell. They got everything concering the gameplay right considering the system it's on. Even the camera hasn't given me much trouble outside of

The Giant Purple Darkside in beast's castle in the narrow hallway, not a good place to put a giant enemy -_-

I'm surprised with quite how much I'm enjoying it. Playing my friends import copy didn't give me enough of a taste.

The plot was thankfully pretty minimalistic the first
150 days or so
but It's hitting that mind numbingly retarded stride at the moment.

Borman said:

People really think that it's a glitch? It was really obvious that it's intentional.

Fuu

watervengeance said:
People really think that it's a glitch? It was really obvious that it's intentional.
Yup, it was pretty clear. It also
happens again later on

Made it up to Day 173 now. I've unlocked
Riku
in Mission Mode. Spent some time doing some solo play in mission mode, too. It's neat to see how different characters control.

The story keeps getting better in this game, and the character interactions are definitely top notch. I'll be interested to see how everything unfolds from here on out.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I love how theres only two groups when it comes to the plot

"This is awesome!"

"This is mind numbingly stupid."

Everyone seems to fall into one or the other, no in-betweens.

:lol

hamchan

Zerokku said:
I love how theres only two groups when it comes to the plot

"This is awesome!"

"This is mind numbingly stupid."

Everyone seems to fall into one or the other, no in-betweens.

:lol
The game is so damn slow where I'm up to I just stopped playing. I heard it gets faster after day 150 though?
Also does everyone else think Terra = Xehonort/Ansem's apprentice?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
hamchan said:
The game is so damn slow where I'm up to I just stopped playing. I heard it gets faster after day 150 though?
Also does everyone else think Terra = Xehonort/Ansem's apprentice?

Yes it does, although I have to disagree, I liked that. I think the story of KH2 and 358 is awful, so I enjoyed the fact the plot was pretty minimalistic, especially since the gameplay is so top-notch

The reason everyone thinks so is because they look exactly the same minus the hair color, lemme dig up a pic...

http://jazzmanjustin.deviantart.com/art/Terra-is-Xehanort-95732915

That and In KH2FM+,
Xemnas speaks with an old "friend" in the Room of Sleep. When we see this room, it is Aqua's armor. Xemnas is looking for the Room of Awakening, and another "friend."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtQMFOf2rbU

Fuu

I like the new music in
Neverland
. I also think it's fitting that Luxord is usually your partner on
Wonderland
missions.

Challenge 10 (where you have to survive against the Dusks)
is a good place to go when Xigbar asks you
to kill 30 enemies whit Limit

Kard8p3

Picked this up yesterday and I have to say I'm loving it. There was nothing I had to do so I just spent a good amount of the day playing it. I've got 9 hours on this so far and I'm at day 119. The story itself hasn't really taken off but there's some very interesting things going on. I particularly like the conversations between Axel and Saix. Anyway I'm done for the night but I can't wait to start playing again. I hear I'm close to some pretty big stuff story wise so I'll be anticipating that.

hamchan

Zerokku said:
Yes it does, although I have to disagree, I liked that. I think the story of KH2 and 358 is awful, so I enjoyed the fact the plot was pretty minimalistic, especially since the gameplay is so top-notch

The reason everyone thinks so is because they look exactly the same minus the hair color, lemme dig up a pic...

http://jazzmanjustin.deviantart.com/art/Terra-is-Xehanort-95732915

That and In KH2FM+,
Xemnas speaks with an old "friend" in the Room of Sleep. When we see this room, it is Aqua's armor. Xemnas is looking for the Room of Awakening, and another "friend."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtQMFOf2rbU

After all this I think I'll be surprised if he didn't turn out to Xehonort. Either way BBS should be very very interesting.

Pureauthor said:
Luxord's a pretty cool guy.

I like Demyx. Always seemed to be the nicest (besides Roxas and Axel) out of the Organization. Does he ever say "dance water dance?" in this game?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Does anyone know where I can see ALL the cutscenes from this game, I really want to play it as u huge Kingdom Hearts-fan, but buying a DS just for this game is a bit too much :(

hamchan

Kingsora said:
Does anyone know where I can see ALL the cutscenes from this game, I really want to play it as u huge Kingdom Hearts-fan, but buying a DS just for this game is a bit too much :(

All the ones on youtube are from the Japanese version and kh-vids.net haven't uploaded them yet. You might have to wait awhile which I guess is the price of not buying the game :p

squall211

I haven't read this whole thread, but I think in the Gametrailers review they mentioned that the game starts off almost unbearably slow. Based on what you guys played, is it THAT bad in the beginning?

Does the storyline ever pick up? I'm about 5 hours in and not enjoying it that much...

Hopefully someone'll compile a script of it at some point so I can read it before the other KH spinoffs release.

hamchan

squall211 said:
I haven't read this whole thread, but I think in the Gametrailers review they mentioned that the game starts off almost unbearably slow. Based on what you guys played, is it THAT bad in the beginning?

Yes it is super duper slow.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
hamchan said:
All the ones on youtube are from the Japanese version and kh-vids.net haven't uploaded them yet. You might have to wait awhile which I guess is the price of not buying the game :p
Look what I found :d
http://kh13.com/videos/daysengcut.php

Are these all the cutscenes? Can I follow the story perfectly if I just see those cutscenes?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well since noone posted it:
668078043_nANh2-L.jpg

Kingdom Hearts 2 is Gabriel's favorite game, indeed, anything with that name in the title ranks high. Even Chain of Memories rests on a high perch, Chain of Memories, a game shunned by the whole earth. Don't bring it up; it's a sore point.

His venom sacs began to throb with excess fluid as he absorbed clips of the newest franchise entry, Kingdom Hearts 385/2 Days, as what he likes about the game is the lavish production, which the two tiny portholes of the Nintendo DS must necessarily obscure.

He still bought it.

The first evening with the title was spent entirely in a warren of inescapable learning, moving and leaping, with only drip-fed contextual bouillon to maintain his strength. Kingdom Hearts, whose braided inspirations need no steady undercarriage to succeed as an Entertainment Product, has (in actuality) an incredibly fucking elaborate story that can inspire even in Morsel Form, but his reserves are low. It's been three hours, and he has yet to see a Disney character. I am told that - for Gabriels - this is a twilight realm, indistinguishable from hell.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/10/5/

Top Bottom