• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX coming to NA and Europe this Fall

Vashetti

Banned
In retrospect almost all the worlds are boring and empty in all KH games. Just saying.

Yeah, more populated worlds is what I'm hoping for with KH3.

All of the worlds are desolate, it's quite grating with the happy Disney characters and then running around in a barren ghost town.

Tagg9

In retrospect almost all the worlds are boring and empty in all KH games. Just saying.

Sadly, you're right.

Kingdom Hearts 3 should have cities packed full of characters moving around and going about their day. Unfortunately, Square and HD towns usually don't mix.

The Lamp

I didn't really think about this until after finishing three Kingdom Hearts games, but, the worlds are all completely empty.

Why is there no one at the Coliseum? Why is there no one in Mulan's China?
Maybe they could explain away that all people have been turned into heartless and nobodies, but then at least at the end in the credits show people coming back to life in their respective home worlds.

I feel like Sora should land in Ancient Greece and see everyone being terrorized by Hades and his heartless army and immediately start tearing shit up and saving people....instead of it always feeling like these KH worlds are empty backdrops with no one really living inside them. Even Radiant Garden didn't feel like a town because NO ONE IS OUT ON THE DAMN STREET even though in some areas there are no heartless or nobodies.

They really need to fix that shit in KH3 and they have no excuse because of the power at their disposal to render town citizens and stuff.

Coliseum was so awkward hearing people cheer in the cutscenes when the stands are completely empty...

I didn't really think about this until after finishing three Kingdom Hearts games, but, the worlds are all completely empty.

Maybe they could explain away that all people have been turned into heartless and nobodies, but then at least at the end in the credits show people coming back to life in their respective home worlds.

I feel like Sora should land in Ancient Greece and see everyone being terrorized by Hades and his heartless army and immediately start tearing shit up and saving people....instead of it always feeling like these KH worlds are empty backdrops with no one really living inside them. Even Radiant Garden didn't feel like a town because NO ONE IS OUT ON THE DAMN STREET even though in some areas there are no heartless or nobodies.

They really need to fix that shit in KH3 and they have no excuse because of the power at their disposal to render town citizens and stuff.

Coliseum was so awkward hearing people cheer in the cutscenes when the stands are completely empty...

Hopefully that is something that gets addressed since KH3 will be on PS3 or PS4, but in my darkest nightmares, I hear Nomura saying something like "we were going to populate them since we had the means to do so, but it seemed like a staple of the series to leave the worlds empty, so we left them like that." It was especially strange in KH3D on worlds like Prankster's Paradise (I think that's the name..) and Traverse Town; they were massive worlds made to allow you to play around with FlowMotion, but they felt completely empty because you were the only one there, until you found some enemies.

Ideally, NPCs would be present, and maybe even moving around, and then they fade out when enemies spawn.

Soriku

KH areas have generally been structured as action RPG levels. Even though there should be people there's no one there because they want you to fight things instead.

In KH3 they really need big towns then have "dangerous" areas branch off from them. However, one problem to that is, if you look at Notre Dame for example, you can fight in the whole town, even around (and inside) the Cathedral and such and that makes for interesting setpieces than just the graveyard or the tombs in that world where having only enemies and no NPCs works out better. So the balance between having interesting setpieces and where to fight needs to be worked out but I don't know how.

Areas like the coliseum definitely need people though. The thing that's funny is that you can hear people but still jump on the stands and fight there lol.

I hope after the next Kingdom Hearts HD collection releases, SE does a collectors edition package that bundles both editions together along with some kind of artwork or OST. It would be a nice little item to have. Of course it would have to make sense financially, but they could always do it after the initial releases have had their run. It could even be a good idea for the PS4, maybe.

Edit:

Were you supposed to post this in another thread? I'm seriously confused as to how to understand this.

They will 99% likely release 1.5+2.5 soundtrack that includes the remastered music but I really doubt they bundle it with the games.

no, I am talking about the music that was used in some of the title screen openings, like

KH 3D op

maybe this is not a theme song.

Thats Hikari Orchestra. Heres Passion Orchestra from KH2.

They are basically instrumental versions of Simple&Clean/Hikari and Sanctuary/Passion

Mario007

Hopefully that is something that gets addressed since KH3 will be on PS3 or PS4, but in my darkest nightmares, I hear Nomura saying something like "we were going to populate them since we had the means to do so, but it seemed like a staple of the series to leave the worlds empty, so we left them like that." It was especially strange in KH3D on worlds like Prankster's Paradise (I think that's the name..) and Traverse Town; they were massive worlds made to allow you to play around with FlowMotion, but they felt completely empty because you were the only one there, until you found some enemies.

Ideally, NPCs would be present, and maybe even moving around, and then they fade out when enemies spawn.
Honestly, if ps2 wasn't able to populate those areas, then there was no reason to expect the 3DS to able to do so. If Kh comes to Ps3/ps4/360/Wii u or Vita then maybe we can expect a change.

Seda

This became obvious in BBS when Zack takes a seat at the coliseum.....and hes the only spectator lol

MechaZain

Banned

This is a terrible excuse because I'm sure it was unintentional, but the emptiness of the worlds make sense in the context of the story. KH is heavily emo about Nothings and Heartless and stuff and the worlds have this weird dreamlike vibe because they're so static. It's kind of like Disneyworld in that it's designed to look lively but it's really hollow. Again, I feel like it's unintentional though.

For that reason I don't want full on towns day/night cycles and whatnot (unless it was done in a Majora's Mask unsettling sorta way) but the worlds do need expanding. In KH1 specifically the worlds were just collections of tiny decorated rooms.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is a terrible excuse because I'm sure it was unintentional, but the emptiness of the worlds make sense in the context of the story. KH is heavily emo about Nothings and Heartless and stuff and the worlds have this weird dreamlike vibe because they're so static. It's kind of like Disneyworld in that it's designed to look lively but it's really hollow. Again, I feel like it's unintentional though.

For that reason I don't want full on towns day/night cycles and whatnot (unless it was done in a Majora's Mask unsettling sorta way) but the worlds do need expanding. In KH1 specifically the worlds were just collections of tiny decorated rooms.

I'm not trying to justify it. I'm just pointing something out and breaking people's nostalgia memories and such.

KH2 has much more NPCs than DDD or BBS for example. You really see that when going from BBS->KH2 for example. Twilight Town is full of people, Radiant Garden has people, Mulans China has imperial soldiers ect. It certainly was technical issue for BBS for example. I think KH3 will be better in this regard.

This became obvious in BBS when Zack takes a seat at the coliseum.....and hes the only spectator lol

The worst is Princes ball in BBS. He has 4 guests :lol.

raven777

comparing the game's visual with the title screen opening makes the game look even better.

It almost feels like I am playing like the press bullshots.

It saddens me when this gen is only capable of running some of last gen's games at 720p and 30fps.

I think it has lot to do with the technical problems too. AFAIK PS2 tech doesn't scale easily for PS3 (or XBOX). If they were built from ground up with same assets they could totally run 1080p 60fps but that would be insane amount of work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Birth By Sleep is 1080p 60fps tho if they don't go overboard with texture work.

I think my only complaint with this release is... I wish it were 60fps.
I promise to have a whole list of complaints, but most of them will be complaints with the original games (which I love, except for 358/2 Days because it is terrible).

When I finish any game, though, I tend to make a bunch of notes on how I think the game design could've been improved.

Verendus

Banned
I'm not trying to justify it. I'm just pointing something out and breaking people's nostalgia memories and such.
To be honest, I agree with you.

The worlds biggest flaw are how empty they are. There are not many worlds that I enjoyed. Being younger, the idea of going through Disney worlds is exciting, but it's quite hollow in retrospect. It was always weird being in Agrabah or somewhere else with little to no people. I'd just like to see more original worlds with a bit more life. It's all in the detail so I hope with KH3, there is more effort in presenting the worlds that they feel like they're alive.

Traverse Town I loved because of the aesthetic.

Edit:

Oh, and the Kingdom Hearts main theme I was referring to is Dearly Beloved.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think it has lot to do with the technical problems too. AFAIK PS2 tech doesn't scale easily for PS3 (or XBOX). If they were built from ground up with same assets they could totally run 1080p 60fps but that would be insane amount of work.

I wouldn't be surprised if Birth By Sleep is 1080p 60fps tho if they don't go overboard with texture work.

Not to mention, PS2 actually had higher memory bandwidth than PS3 does.

Reading this thread made me want to play Kingdom Hearts on the PS2.

I go and lug out my old PS2 and Kingdom Hearts case and lo and behold...THE DISC IS MISSING!

I'm so pissed right now. Now I need this collection more than ever.

I do wonder how much they are willing to do when remastering BBS. Otherwise its fine but some textures will be TERRIBLE in HD. They need to redo the main character models at least, I'm not sure if they already were in DDD.

sappyday

I do wonder how much they are willing to do when remastering BBS. Otherwise its fine but some textures will be TERRIBLE in HD. They need to redo the main character models at least, I'm not sure if they already were in DDD.

They should also redub all of Terra's and Aqua's lines.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I really disliked Aqua's voice in the English dub. I prefer the tone and work that the JP VA put into it.

Soriku

TAV models were in DDD. Same with MX and Vanitas.

Sadly, you're right.

Kingdom Hearts 3 should have cities packed full of characters moving around and going about their day. Unfortunately, Square and HD towns usually don't mix.

If it was a PS4 exclusive then you get your wish. Although they are looking at PS3 and all 256mb of slow XDR ram.

I agree with kayos, Aqua's voice was a little odd, I didn't like it much :/
Too bad as she's my favorite character from the whole series together with Xion.

A voice change now though would feel weird, I may dislike it but I'm used to it now.

peronmls

What? It looks amazing playing on emulator at it original resolution. I don't know why you think that and god of war origins looked very nice.

What? It looks amazing playing on emulator at it original resolution. I don't know why you think that and god of war origins looked very nice.

Let's play a game: Spot the bad texture!

a5AbvPM.png

The Lamp

Sora is Everyone if old

Soooo apparently KH 2.5 HD Remix is mentioned in this Famitsu interview with the sound team....

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201303/18029994.html

Thanks to KHInsider
http://khinsider.com/news/KINGDOM-HEARTS-HD-1-5-ReMIX-Sound-Team-Interview-3249

Doesn't that basically confirm that it's happening?

Terrible Google Translate:
- 2.5 "remix KH-HD -" was out and either re-record sound too?
It is also because it is built-in sound "KHII" Shimomura. "KH" series is a song from the battle field to cross-fade songs and, in the memory of one song, I originally I had put two songs by compressing data and field battle. "... 2.5 remix KH-HD -" so I thought this time, it will be me using the live sound, it was good oh was found out, still I am not going to mean as it is built-in sound (laughs). Because I do not afford to betray the expectations of everyone. There are about 100 songs ... but.

The Lamp

Well to be fair Nomura pretty much ''confirmed'' it a while back by saying it would be weird not to do a HD version of KH2.

It was weird of them to make a Birth By Sleep and KH2 Final Mix when they said the only reason they made one for KH1 was because Americans got exclusive content....then it was even weirder for them to go through the trouble of localizing Re:CoM for North America, but not KH2FM which would have been less work for them to localize. It's weird that BBS is not on the PSN for digital download.

I don't know. They do weird stuff all the time, in my opinion.

Like, Square Enix is SO odd, I wouldn't be surprised (though I would be devastated) if they made BBS into a movie like 358/2 and put it in 2.5 so that everyone could play a version of Coded instead. Lol.

I'm glad to basically see that it exists and it will probably come to NA.

If only there was a Persona HD collection for PS3 then I wouldn't really need my PS2 that much anymore :p

It was weird of them to make a Birth By Sleep and KH2 Final Mix when they said the only reason they made one for KH1 was because Americans got exclusive content....then it was even weirder for them to go through the trouble of localizing Re:CoM for North America, but not KH2FM which would have been less work for them to localize. It's weird that BBS is not on the PSN for digital download.

I don't know. They do weird stuff all the time, in my opinion.

I'm glad to basically see that it exists and it will probably come to NA.

If only there was a Persona HD collection for PS3 then I wouldn't really need my PS2 that much anymore :p

Well Americans did get exclusive content in BBS :).

Zoe

Top Bottom