• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX coming to NA and Europe this Fall

BbS is probably the main reason I'm excited for 2.5. Really liked Terra's story and character and the game itself was just excellent (especially for a PSP). I do wonder how beefed up it may be as a HD remaster, though. Less plain looking worlds?

Disappointed that this game isn't on the Vita. It will be beautiful on my HDTV with my PS3, but KH1FM on the go sounds like the greatest thing ever. Not to mention that this establishes the non-Vita precedent. 2.5 REALLY should have been on the Vita, because that would give Vita owners a way to play BBS without exploits. BBSFM is literally the only thing keeping my Vita at 2.02. I just don't see why we get the vastly inferior FFX and not KH.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, that video pretty much confirms a 2.5. But Coded cutscenes? My memory is fuzzy, but weren't those just static images with text? Odd choice. Should have been DDD cutscenes.

friz898

Disappointed that this game isn't on the Vita. It will be beautiful on my HDTV with my PS3, but KH1FM on the go sounds like the greatest thing ever. Not to mention that this establishes the non-Vita precedent. 2.5 REALLY should have been on the Vita, because that would give Vita owners a way to play BBS without exploits. BBSFM is literally the only thing keeping my Vita at 2.02. I just don't see why we get the vastly inferior FFX and not KH.

Ya, I'm ready to buy it for my PS3, so no port begging here, but it shows how little respect the Vita is currently getting from SE since they apparently don't want to do it, and unlike FF X, are not committed/obligated to do it.

Without really knowing for sure, I think it's safe to assume that if FF X HD cleaned up is going to work on Vita, then KH could have as well. I mean.

Ah well!

Ya, I'm ready to buy it for my PS3, so no port begging here, but it shows how little respect the Vita is currently getting from SE since they apparently don't want to do it, and unlike FF X, are not committed/obligated to do it.

Without really knowing for sure, I think it's safe to assume that if FF X HD cleaned up is going to work on Vita, then KH could have as well. I mean.

Ah well!

Well I'm not trying to port beg. I own a PS3 so getting it isn't a problem, but playing it on the go would be amazing.

Ah well!

Weirder for me is the lack of Xbox (or Wii U) version. Final Fantasy X HD is different beast from these collections. SE has pretty much said that the main goal with these collections is to bring the series back to home consoles and set up the fanbase for Kingdom Hearts 3 that releases sometime between now and the apocalypse. But making it PS3 exclusive makes no sense unless they want to make KH3 PS3/4 exclusive too and that in turn makes no sense in my opinion. Before bringing this to Vita you should ask why is it not released on other home consoles.

I wonder if they will bring back the capes in BBS HD. That might require a lot of reprogramming though.

Weirder for me is the lack of Xbox (or Wii U) version. Final Fantasy X HD is different beast from these collections. SE has pretty much said that the main goal with these collections is to bring the series back to home consoles and set up the fanbase for Kingdom Hearts 3 that releases sometime between now and the apocalypse. But making it PS3 exclusive makes no sense unless they want to make KH3 PS3/4 exclusive too and that in turn makes no sense in my opinion. Before bringing this to Vita you should ask why is it not released on other home consoles.

Not weird at all. KH3 will be a next gen game (SE won't release a huge ps3 game in 2015), so Wii U is automatically out. So the only other choice is Xbox 720. I don't think KH is the type of game Xbox gamers will buy en masse.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

/shrug

The core console JRPG audience is on PS3 I guess?

NAPK1NS

Sharp textures sounds nice, but what are they doing with the camera?

KH has aged terribly due to the camera mapping on the R2 and L2 buttons, the acceleration is too slow as well.

I could not consider a purchase unless the adapted the KH2 camera design. It's backed away from the player more and mapped to the right stick (like any sensible game nowadays).

KH2FM and BBSFM are already fantastic and very "complete" sort of games, so I wonder what sort of additions they'll make to those ones (akin to KH1HD's control tweaks and added Exp0/Combo Master abilities and Re:CoM:HD's new cards).

In BBS, it'd likely be a tweaking of the Mirage Arena. Maybe KH2 could get the Combo Master ability as well?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sharp textures sounds nice, but what are they doing with the camera?

KH has aged terribly due to the camera mapping on the R2 and L2 buttons, the acceleration is too slow as well.

I could not consider a purchase unless the adapted the KH2 camera design. It's backed away from the player more and mapped to the right stick (like any sensible game nowadays).

Camera is on the right stick now.

friz898

Camera is on the right stick now.

I left gaming during mid ps1 era. I then returned in 2007 and basically skipped all of PS2 except for FF X and FF 12 on a friends ps2.

Anyway, when I came back and everybody was making a big deal about dual analog sticks, I didnt really see the big deal...

..but now it's hard to imagine a game without using right-stick for camera.

/shrug

The core console JRPG audience is on PS3 I guess?

KH is hardly a traditional JRPG tho. Disney stamp is a big part of it too.

I mean I know it would probably do way better on PlayStation but that hasn't stopped the multiplatting of all the other franchises that do the same, namely Metal Gear and Final Fantasy. Especially with Durango and PS4 tech being pretty much identical so porting would cause minimal problems if it is a next gen game.

I mean I know it would probably do way better on PlayStation but that hasn't stopped the multiplatting of all the other franchises that do the same, namely Metal Gear and Final Fantasy. Especially with Durango and PS4 tech being pretty much identical so porting would cause minimal problems if it is a next gen game.

KH mainline titles have always been on Playstation. The majority of KH's fanbase have just played the mainline titles.

Therefore the majority of their fanbase will be on PS. Not to mention the fact that their is probably a larger jrpg audience on the PS3.

Mario007

Nomura likes to work to the strength of just one platform. I like this approach.

Also considering the split with FF titles on 360 v PS3, titles like Ni No Kuni doing well as ps3 exclusive in the west and Tales doing well as PS3 exclusive in Japan, Square probably decided that opportunity cost for 360 version port wasn't worth it.

KH2FM and BBSFM are already fantastic and very "complete" sort of games, so I wonder what sort of additions they'll make to those ones (akin to KH1HD's control tweaks and added Exp0/Combo Master abilities and Re:CoM:HD's new cards).

In BBS, it'd likely be a tweaking of the Mirage Arena. Maybe KH2 could get the Combo Master ability as well?

Is combo master the thing that lets you combo without hitting anything? If so KH2FM already has it.

I think the XBro crowd would be even more allergic to KH than they were to FFXIII. At least FFXIII has "extreme action" and "realistic graphics". KH is way too kiddy looking.

KH mainline titles have always been on Playstation. The majority of KH's fanbase have just played the mainline titles.

Therefore the majority of their fanbase will be on PS. Not to mention the fact that their is probably a larger jrpg audience on the PS3.

DDD is a mainline title even if sales fell short in Japan. Majority of 360 audience is from PS2 backround.

in0tMqELg4hN2.gif

About the ''Xbox crowd'' I know what you mean but it is weird to put all the eggs in one basket in todays market. We don't know how PS4 and Durango will fit in the next gen and those two platforms will be more similar than perhaps any previous consoles in many ways.

The Lamp

KHInsider has translated the entire sound team interview. I thought it was really fascinating. The amount of work they put into rerecording the tracks with a live orchestra, wow!
http://www.khinsider.com/news/KINGDOM-HEARTS-HD-1-5-ReMIX-Sound-Team-Interview-3249

my favorite tidbit:
---And so, why did you commission gaQdan to record the stringed instruments?
Kawamori: I had struck up an acquaintance with TaQ some time before, and when I came to be re-recording the music for KH -HD 1.5 ReMIX-, I remembered seeing an interview in Famitsu on his work on Crimson Shroud... so, I said to him, there are a lot of tracks, but how do you feel about doing it?
TaQ: I immediately replied that I'd do it, but to be completely honest here, I thought that 66 tracks had to be impossible (laughs). Recording took place in a huge hall in the Tokyo Metropolitan area around September 2012, and since of course the hall had to be unavailable for long periods just when we needed it, we had to finish recording in one day and that was that. We had to be out of the hall by 9:30pm, but by the time it was 7:30pm we hadn't even finished recording half...
Shimomura: You're saying it with a smile now, TaQ, but on the day you scared me. Your smile started fading away... (laughs).
TaQ: The orchestra members were running out of breath, and conversations stopped (laughs).
Shimomura: But, the orchestra members were so dedicated.
Tsuchiya: That's the difficult thing about orchestral recording. All the instrument sounds are recorded in one go at the same time, so you can't just go in after and replace one instrument or add a layer. It was a severe spot that required the orchestra members to play for twelve hours with no mistakes. But, since the hall had great acoustics, and some members of gaQdan were KH fans who started getting excited as they recognised songs, the orchestra members were very passionate.
TaQ: The moment when the musicians became one entity to finish the last few... I don't think I'll forget it as long as I live.
Shimomura: Every minute was precious, to the point where nobody even went to the toilet.
TaQ: When we finished, I was so overcome with emotion that I started applauding.
Shimomura: I wondered if perhaps the remaining time would stress them out and affect their performance, and if so, whether I should give up on a few songs and have them focus on the ones we were up to... but, in the end, thanks to all of their tremendous focuses, they were able to record for me every single song I had requested.

Mr. Fix

It'll be hilarious when Xion and YX are shoehorned into the next game, because they totally will be (Xion will, anyway). Also Sora and Riku did the Mark of Mastery test in DDD, and I don't see Nomura completely skipping over that. It's like calling BBS non-canon because it isn't on the home consoles.

DDD is a mainline title even if sales fell short in Japan. Majority of 360 audience is from PS2 backround.

in0tMqELg4hN2.gif

About the ''Xbox crowd'' I know what you mean but it is weird to put all the eggs in one basket in todays market. We don't know how PS4 and Durango will fit in the next gen and those two platforms will be more similar than perhaps any previous consoles in many ways.

Oh god here we go again. Do you ever realise why KH sales for these so called "mainline" titels are so much lower. Its because yes they may be mainline but to the average KH fan KH3 will be the next mainline title. Thats the one everyone is anticipating on a console, not a handheld.

PS2 crowd obviously cannot all be with the ps3 but the Xboxers don't seem to be buying jrpgs's as much. FF sold 4 times better on PS3 WW that number will be even more skewed with KH.

Putting the HD collection exclusive to PS3 seems like confirmation to me that KH3 will be exclusive to PS3. If it was multiplatform there would be no excuse for SE to port it to the 360 as it will only help build the audience.

You also forget that Sony might be paying.

SykoTech

Noruma seems to prefer working with one platform only, and don't think the people at Square are in a hurry to force to make multiplatform games or even have others port his work. I don't think it's anything more than that. Why people are still surprised/puzzled when a KH game is exclusive to one platform, I'll never know.

It'll probably be the same when Versus is re-revealed too.

I dunno man, I know Nomura said it was but it really felt more akin to CoM than to BBS.

DDD had new worlds, full voiced cutscenes, new characters ect ect ect. It is a mainline game and much more than CoM that is more of a bridge game. There is no question that there are 4 ''mainline'' titles: 1, 2, BBS, DDD.

Oh god here we go again. Do you ever realise why KH sales for these so called "mainline" titels are so much lower. Its because yes they may be mainline but to the average KH fan KH3 will be the next mainline title. Thats the one everyone is anticipating on a console, not a handheld.

PS2 crowd obviously cannot all be with the ps3 but the Xboxers don't seem to be buying jrpgs's as much. FF sold 4 times better on PS3 WW that number will be even more skewed with KH.

Putting the HD collection exclusive to PS3 seems like confirmation to me that KH3 will be exclusive to PS3. If it was multiplatform there would be no excuse for SE to port it to the 360 as it will only help build the audience.

You also forget that Sony might be paying.
Porting costs next gen will be so minimal that KH3 wouldn't even have to be near FF13 numbers to make a good profit on a Durango port. Personally I wouldn't compare KH that easily to JRPG titles but that's just me.

It sure seems like it could be exclusive. That is why I am questioning if this is a smart move or not. Personally I only have the hopes of KH3 doing as well as it can cause let's be honest: these handheld adventures have seriously put a dent into the franchise when it comes to the west especially. Not even being on one but 3 total handhelds is ridicilous on a series like this with one overarching plot. Thank god they are now trying to fix this mess.

As for Sony paying, I have no idea.

btkadams

BBS and DDD are both mainline titles regardless of not having a number. *sigh*
but how do you know that? all the storylines in each kh game are important to the overall canon, but we will only really see if bbs/ddd are mainline when kh3 comes out. if kh3 deals with those games like kh2 dealt with chain of memories, then i would say they are non-mainline. it's stupid to argue one way or the other at this point.

All KH games are canon, but BBS, 1, 2, and DDD are the 'core' story. Of the non-core games, Chain of Memories is very important to the story; 358/2 Days somewhat less so; Coded barely at all.

but how do you know that? all the storylines in each kh game are important to the overall canon, but we will only really see if bbs/ddd are mainline when kh3 comes out. if kh3 deals with those games like kh2 dealt with chain of memories, then i would say they are non-mainline. it's stupid to argue one way or the other at this point.

KH3 will be heavily connected to DDD and BBS unless they go absolutely crazy with retconning. In fact it is quite clear KH3 has more to do with BBS and DDD than KH2.

We could argue about this but it is silly. To my eyes there is no question that those 4 are mainline titles for the fact that they introduce new worlds, characters and are overall console quality games unlike CoM, Days and Coded.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Noruma seems to prefer working with one platform only, and don't think the people at Square are in a hurry to force to make multiplatform games or even have others port his work. I don't think it's anything more than that. Why people are still surprised/puzzled when a KH game is exclusive to one platform, I'll never know.

It'll probably be the same when Versus is re-revealed too.

Why do people keep bring up this point? I'm genuinely curious. I think what platform he prefers to work on is irrelevant.

NAPK1NS

KH3 will be heavily connected to DDD and BBS unless they go absolutely crazy with retconning. In fact it is quite clear KH3 has more to do with BBS and DDD than KH2.

We could argue about this but it is silly. To my eyes there is no question that those 4 are mainline titles for the fact that they introduce new worlds, characters and are overall console quality games unlike CoM, Days and Coded.
To me, arguing about the narrative at all is silly. Does anyone actually give a toss about these stories? Maybe Simple & Clean got your sentiments in a knot a decade ago, but these are some poorly constructed tales we have here. The characters aren't interesting, with clothing and weapons acting as distinguishing features. The plotting of events has been haywire after so many spin-offs... Why bother?

KH has always been about the world design, brevity of content, and hack n' slash gameplay. If you're a KH story nut, more power, but it doesn't seem worthy of investment.

To me, arguing about the narrative at all is silly. Does anyone actually give a toss about these stories? Maybe Simple & Clean got your sentiments in a knot a decade ago, but these are some poorly constructed tales we have here. The characters aren't interesting, with clothing and weapons acting as distinguishing features. The plotting of events has been haywire after so many spin-offs... Why bother?

KH has always been about the world design, brevity of content, and hack n' slash gameplay. If you're a KH story nut, more power, but it doesn't seem worthy of investment.
It's not even about the story, just the production values make BBS and DDD mainline titles.

Technically, 358/2 Days did have the one new Peter Pan environment (the one where you spend basically forever fighting that flying dragon over and over and over again). I guess that's about equivalent to Chain of Memories' new Castle Oblivion environment, though.

Technically, 358/2 Days did have the one new Peter Pan environment (the one where you spend basically forever fighting that flying dragon over and over and over again). I guess that's about equivalent to Chain of Memories' new Castle Oblivion environment, though.

Correct but you know what I mean. Neverland has been featured before Days while DDD is the first time Hunchback, Three Musketeers, Fantasia make an appearance and the old worlds like Pinocchio and Tron have brand new stuff.

Why do people keep bring up this point? I'm genuinely curious. I think what platform he prefers to work on is irrelevant.

This is how the hierarchy is SE goes:

Nomura>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else

Seriously though it seems square will do whatever he says.

Also its not his preference thats relevant but the fact that pretty much all his games have been exclusive to one platform when they have released.

Chain of Memories at least introduced Twilight Town for the first time, which is a step up from Neverland getting a single new area in Days.

Chain of Memories at least introduced Twilight Town for the first time, which is a step up from Neverland getting a single new area in Days.

Castle Oblivion too. But it is clear that all the disney content is rehashed from KH1. At least the story did go somewhere and actually did have interesting elements to make it quite a worthy game unlike some others I could name *coughcodedcough*

Top Bottom