• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix- English Translation!

Foffy

Banned
This has me wanting to ask a question. Were any of the other Final Mix titles translated to completion? I know I heard of people wanting to do BbS FM, but the PSP scene for translations is so damned small..

Excellent news.

Just read that on the site:
WARNING: This post and the files uploaded are protected from the copyright-free, so any "cut-and-paste", translation or summary of this post without to link clearly the sources and the author will be prosecuted. The re-uploading of any materials downloaded from the links in this post without permission is forbidden. Simply I want to protect my works from the people that copy the works of other peoples.
I see where he's coming from but that's pretty stupid considering he's already mildly infringing on someone else's copyright.

That would make for an interesting prosecution though.

duckroll

Foffy said:
This has me wanting to ask a question. Were any of the other Final Mix titles translated to completion? I know I heard of people wanting to do BbS FM, but the PSP scene for translations is so damned small..

There isn't much to translate in BbS FM though. There are like 5 lines of dialogue, and maybe 20-30 lines of various description text for things which weren't in the US version of the game.

Aeana

I think the reason why PSP translations aren't really going places is because of the lack of tools to aid with hacking. Particularly emulators with debuggers. So it's much rougher going, I imagine.

Aeana said:
I just wish GSM's 480p mode worked with more games. DQ8 and FF12, the really big ones I wanted it to work with, just give black screens. The 1080i mode works with them, though, so that's something.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
Graphics Synthesizer Mode Selector

Woah...this tool...launches HD Loader after it sets a Progressive Scan mode??

MIND BLOWN

I got to download this and try it.

Aeana

Unknown Soldier said:
Woah...this tool...launches HD Loader after it sets a Progressive Scan mode??

MIND BLOWN

I got to download this and try it.
You can launch anything after you set the mode in the app. If you select "PS2 Browser" as your exit method, then from there you can do anything you want on the system and whatever video mode you selected will be forced until you shut the system off.

Just be warned that not every game works with 480p - some will just give a black screen. Sadly. But most of the games I've tried do work with the 1080i mode. Unfortunately, that scales using nearest neighbor or something so there's some pixelation.

EDIT: Also, some people might be interested to know that it also supports VGA resolutions provided you have a VGA cable for the PS2.

Andrefpvs

Kagari said:
Square would be stupid not to do a KH HD collection.

I think they'd have to remove Tarzan's world though. Perhaps that's too much work for them?

But yeah, I'd buy it
twice

Aeana said:
I just wish GSM's 480p mode worked with more games. DQ8 and FF12, the really big ones I wanted it to work with, just give black screens. The 1080i mode works with them, though, so that's something.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
Graphics Synthesizer Mode Selector

Wait, does this mean there's hope for my PS2 games on an HDTV?

Famassu

LiK said:
production values were great. too bad the game was so much easier than the original.
There are ways to make it much, much harder, almost like BBS's Critical Mode where tons of enemies can kill you with one or two attacks and bosses will rape you hard if you're a little underpowered. And this without sacrificing gameplay "depth" (not that this is Bayonetta or anything). Basically, just think that some of the abilities like EXP Boost & other such ones (the kind that don't affect what you can do in battles) as kind of "driving assists", and like in driving simulation games, don't use them if you want to have the better experience that requires more skill. That way it'll take you much longer to level-up, you won't be quite as strong and you won't be as easily overpowered, leaving you much more vulnerable to enemy attacks and things like when to use different Drive forms takes much more thought. You'll still get to use the abilities that give you longer combos or add something to your move list otherwise so that you'll have all the tools available you otherwise would. You're just not as strong as you otherwise would be. And if you want even harder, you can try to use weaker equipment.

Ultratech

Looks alright. Could be improved in spots, but hey, it's KH2:FM+ in English.
Can't complain too much about it.

On that note, I'm kinda surprised nobody's done a translation for KH:FM.
I figured they would've done something similar to how the FFXII:IZJS patch was made, unless the file structure is just THAT different. Barring that, there wouldn't be much to be actually translated (a few items, some abilities, enemy names, and dialog).

Kagari said:
Square would be stupid not to do a KH HD collection.
Didn't Nomura kind of hint at this in a recent interview? He said they were doing HD technology tests with past titles. It's a goddamn crime SE never brought this over. I have a feeling a lot of complaints about KH2 would go away if people played the Final Mix. It has so much more stuff to do it's insulting.

Anyway, I guess this is kind of neat. I played FM+ back in 2008 without any problems and I don't know any Japanese. Just printed out a translation for the abilities and eventually I didn't need that even. It's one of those games where, if you played the original, you'll have no problem navigating it in Japanese. Hardly any reading required.

Luigi87

Ugh, I keep getting the MSVCR100.dll problem, despite that I've installed the necessary runtime from Microsoft.
And if I copy that DLL from my Sys32 folder to where the patcher is, it gives me a (0xc000007b) error..

Edit: Needed the x86 package installed too, for some reason. I guess it was compiled on a 32-bit machine.

I checked the battle against
Roxas
on YouTube, that looks sweet. I still wish Square put much more effort into making the worlds feel more like well worlds, not just action set pieces. Hollow Bastion and Twilight Town were emptier than they should have been. The worst example is Pride Lands where Pride Rock and the Oasis are right next to each other.

King of the Potato People said:
Roxas
on YouTube, that looks sweet. I still wish Square put much more effort into making the worlds feel more like well worlds, not just action set pieces. Hollow Bastion and Twilight Town were emptier than they should have been. The worst example is Pride Lands where Pride Rock and the Oasis are right next to each other.
Yeah, the level design in KH2 is a complete joke compared to KH1. It's one of the reasons they went back and made the Cavern of Remembrance so the game could actually have a dungeon.

MechaX

It's good that this finally came out. I was wondering what the holdup was, since FFXII's International Version got a pretty quick translation patch. In KHII's case, almost all of the new stuff was translated almost immediately and it could have utilized the FFXII International method of lifting the translation from the prior version.

King of the Potato People said:
Roxas

Oh, I got one video of me fighting roxas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrCUJKyE7o

I was using PCSX 2. This games runs great on the emulator.

duckroll said:
Yeah, I really can't imagine actual translation being what holds back BbS FM.

BBS FM has/is being translated by someone. It's mostly complete. Not sure I can link to the site though because they also have ISO links in other sections :/. Easy enough to find the thread on google anyway.

I tired playing my copy of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix earlier this year.

The new bosses battles are pretty annoying, to be honest. I was playing on Critical Mode, so that may PARTIALLY have something to do with it, but considering how breezy the rest of the game was going for me, I'd say it's probably not the main culprit. Still, this is kind of cool so it may prompt me to try playing it again at some point if I can stomach the worst (and longest) opening segment of a video game ever again.

Zomba13

:O
Awesome. I've already played and completed FM+ though. Wasn't hard to play through with a sheet translating the abilities. Still gonna patch my .iso though. Not played it through on the emulator only bits and pieces.

Jigsaw

Banned
game looks stunning on tv forcing 480p via gsm (though actually it's only 448p :p)

also,yay

fm1nenq.png

fm23cqm.png

fm3zd2m.png

he destroyed me in 2 seconds :(

I'm pretty sure that if Square-Enix and Disney wanted to rerelease Kingdom Hearts 1 in HD (or KH1:FM translated to English) they'd be able to keep the Tarzan levels in. It'd still be a rerelease of the same material; they wouldn't be able to do a downloadable digital release, I'm pretty sure, and they might not be able to release it bundled as part of a Collection either. It's not like they can't keep printing KH1 discs if they want to, even if the copyright has expired.

Anyone who's more of an expert on copyright law, though, please feel free to correct me on this.

badcrumble said:
I'm pretty sure that if Square-Enix and Disney wanted to rerelease Kingdom Hearts 1 in HD (or KH1:FM translated to English) they'd be able to keep the Tarzan levels in. It'd still be a rerelease of the same material; they wouldn't be able to do a downloadable digital release, I'm pretty sure, and they might not be able to release it bundled as part of a Collection either. It's not like they can't keep printing KH1 discs if they want to, even if the copyright has expired.

Anyone who's more of an expert on copyright law, though, please feel free to correct me on this.
I wouldn't mind if they cut out the tarzan level. The freaking vine swinging pissed me off so much. I was literally seething.

You know I just realized that a HD port of KH1 would actually have camera controls mapped to the right stick, and maybe fully rotate-able like the one in KH2. That's the only thing that makes the game unplayable to me. It's a ps2 game, but it plays like a psp game.

RPGCrazied

knowing my luck, I'll buy this(don't own the FM, seeing as how I don't know Japanese), and they will announce an HD collection for PS3 that has both FM's.

Andrefpvs

RPGCrazied said:
knowing my luck, I'll buy this(don't own the FM, seeing as how I don't know Japanese), and they will announce an HD collection for PS3 that has both FM's.

Unless you want to play it now, wait until TGS?

The Lamp

So the emulator can run this? Because I was able to run KH2 on my PC at insane framerate/resolution, so I'm eager to try this in HD too (Yes I own both versions).

PixyJunket said:
I tired playing my copy of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix earlier this year.

The new bosses battles are pretty annoying, to be honest. I was playing on Critical Mode, so that may PARTIALLY have something to do with it, but considering how breezy the rest of the game was going for me, I'd say it's probably not the main culprit. Still, this is kind of cool so it may prompt me to try playing it again at some point if I can stomach the worst (and longest) opening segment of a video game ever again.
It definitely does. Critical Mode is a completely different ballgame compared to the other difficulties.

JVIDICAN

Jigsaw said:
game looks stunning on tv forcing 480p via gsm (though actually it's only 448p :p)
Did you get any cut scene freezes when you forced 480p? Maybe it's just me skipping them thats causing it. :p

Napalm_Frank said:
Can pcsx2 emulator run non-PAL games on PAL bios?
Yeah, It should run fine. :)

Vamphuntr

That's pretty nice but I've beat the game already. I still have my copy so I might give this a go eventually. The extra bosses were a real pain to beat :(

Jigsaw

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
Did you get any cut scene freezes when you forced 480p? Maybe it's just me skipping them thats causing it. :p

i just captured all of the new cutscenes in theater mode (nearly 25 minutes!) and only had 1 freeze

do you use hdloader?i'm running it off the disc

JVIDICAN

Jigsaw said:
i just captured all of the new cutscenes in theater mode (nearly 25 minutes!) and only had 1 freeze

do you use hdloader?i'm running it off the disc
OPL v0.8. My Ps2s laser is to old to be using ESR. :p
I don't think the boot method should affect GSMs performance though.

Runs like a charm on emulator! Was a little confused when told to press O to jump and nothing happened, then I realized it was X to jump in FM :D. Guess not perfect translation after all ;).

Very glad someone finally pulled this off. Best KH game imo.

JVIDICAN

Napalm_Frank said:
Runs like a charm on emulator! Was a little confused when told to press O to jump and nothing happened, then I realized it was X to jump in FM :D. Guess not perfect translation after all ;).

Very glad someone finally pulled this off. Best KH game imo.
Yeah I've notice a few things that could be improved. The mini-game menus are still in Japanese, and.... the....subtitles....are....kind....of....spacey.... :p
It's a pretty good translation overall though.

JVIDICAN said:
Yeah I've notice a few things that could be improved. The mini-game menus are still in Japanese, and.... the....subtitles....are....kind....of....spacey.... :p
It's a pretty good translation overall though.
I think the mini game menus can't be translated like the rest of the text since the whole info screen is a picture with text being part of it :D.

I havent noticed subs being spacey but they do seem to have those weird mini clips of subtitles on top of them. Nothing annoying though and I'm really enjoying the patch.

I've only played KH back in the days but thought about getting KH:BBS for my PSP.
Should I play this one first or can I go with BBS? I mean storywise...

Aeana

Melhisedek said:
I've only played KH back in the days but thought about getting KH:BBS for my PSP.
Should I play this one first or can I go with BBS? I mean storywise...
Birth by Sleep is a prequel, so it's fine to play first.

I wonder if the story makes some sense in this translation because I definitely didn't know what the hell was going on in the original

plufim

Jinfash said:
- They're stupid
- They love milking the IP

Can't figure out which one you're hinting.
They will release it, but the implementation will have several moronic decisions included.

Also square tax.

Top Bottom