• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III just has 8 min of footage almost 5 years after announced.

erawsd

This is one of those instance where I really appreciate Nintendo's new way of only announcing games that is mostly coming out within a year of announcement. Hell, we got BOTW's title and footage not even a year ago.

They announced it and showed the first trailer back in 2014 though. Then they delayed it twice. It only got an official sub title last year.

The fact that some people are asking for Tabata, the same man who made Final Fantasy Type-0, shows how much standards have fallen.
Seriously. He's the last person I want touching the Kingdom Hearts series. If Type-0 and FFXV are anything to go by he doesn't know how to deliver Action RPGs with fun combat or satisfying stories.

Oh now now, credit where it's due!

He also directed the Motomu Toriyama-scripted tragedy, The 3rd Birthday!

Noctis' adventures are dull as dirt, but at least he wasn't humiliated like Aya Brea.

Okay so I actually didn't know he was involved with The 3rd Birthday. Yikes. Also can't get over how all of his games tend to
go for the bittersweet end
. After experiencing that for the 3rd game in a row it gets boring. He should try and mix it up with whatever thing he trots out next. That and make stuff that better than "average"

i don't understand your point. Yes the witcher 3 was critically acclaimed but Cyberpunk was still announced 5 years ago with no updates besides that one CG trailer.

These things don't happen in a vacuum. Witcher 3 being put out in the interim is incredible for CDPR. I love Square and I'm not getting particularly impatient to play KH3 (though we definitely need news at E3), but they don't have anything like that (in the interim of KH3's 2013 announcement and now) buying them good faith.

Lol you think that's bad, a marvel movie trailer is insulting

What does this even mean? Lmfao

Squire

Banned
Okay so I actually didn't know he was involved with The 3rd Birthday. Yikes. Also can't get over how all of his games tend to
go for the bittersweet end
. After experiencing that for the 3rd game in a row it gets boring. He should try and mix it up with whatever thing he trots out next. That and make stuff that better than "average"

He's also got a thing for pervy stuff and just generally being shitty to female characters, so it'd be nice if that stopped, too.

Meowster

Not that this is particularly relevant to the topic at hand but since Tabata was brought up, it's funny how everyone was worshiping Type-0 until it finally got ported to PS4. I don't know if this is just because it exposed the limitations of a PSP game or people's taste changed but it was so very jarring to see how quickly that flipped.

sviri

I'd guess that when it got announced, SE was alluding to the fact that they hadn't put out anything IMO of quality during the years prior to satisfy their core following, so I think they must've been like "you really want this, right? We promise we'll make it for you"

He's also got a thing for pervy stuff and just generally being shitty to female characters, so it'd be nice if that stopped, too.
Thats funny, since the whole cloth ripping mechanic was nomura's idea.
Also i like how this thread has somehow turned into yet another tabata dogpile like half the threads on gaf with the words jrpg in it.

FinalAres

These things don't happen in a vacuum. Witcher 3 being put out in the interim is incredible for CDPR. I love Square and I'm not getting particularly impatient to play KH3 (though we definitely need news at E3), but they don't have anything like that (in the interim of KH3's 2013 announcement and now) buying them good faith.

What does this even mean? Lmfao

You give allowances for CDPR but then you don't apply the same "things don't happen in a vacuum" logic to Square. You're 100% right on the vacuum point, but you've got massive double standards.

Since KH3 was announced SE have released the best FF since X, an extremely well received expansion (all of which was to revive the worst reviewed Final Fantasy ever) and they rebooted and turned around Versus XIII in 3 and a half years. That's why KH3 is taking so long, they've out their energies in to other project, one of which was successful, the other is God tier gaming.

Squire

Banned
Not that this is particularly relevant to the topic at hand but since Tabata was brought up, it's funny how everyone was worshiping Type-0 until it finally got ported to PS4. I don't know if this is just because it exposed the limitations of a PSP game or people's taste changed but it was so very jarring to see how quickly that flipped.

Eh, it didn't really flip. It was FF to start, but it was also:

-a spin-off
-directed by the guy that did 3rd Birthday
-a PSP game
-Japan only

Type-0 was preeeetty niche in that more worked against it rather than for it. Putting it on the new consoles made it easily accessible and putting an FFXV demo pushed some of us *ahem* to ignore our better judgement and buy it. I never felt very strongly about it coming or not, but once I got the chance to play it, no hassle... Oh dear, no.

Thats funny, since the whole cloth ripping mechanic was nomura's idea.
Also i like how this thread has somehow turned into yet another tabata dogpile like half the threads on gaf with the words jrpg in it.

Right, I'm sure Nomura also came up with the panty shot stuff in Type-0, the oggling of Cindy in XV, and Royal Victim Luna.

Tanaka, however, is likely a card-carrying feminist.

Yeah between 3rd Birthday and Type-0 alone there's been plenty of creepy stuff in that regard. That and the only female I gueuniely liked and felt was handled alright was Aranea.

I noticed this too. Back then I heard nothing but glowing praise for Type-0 and how it's a more 'mature' Final Fantasy and one of the best games they'd done for the series in years. Then it comes out and it was a painfully average romp with some moments and characters that leaned more on the mediocre side. Gotta say I did feel burned. In the end the people praising it were probably the small niche minority. The allure of games that don't get localized initially helps color impressions too.

I adore the OST though.

- - - -

Back on the topic at hand I have to say as much as I disagree with some of the detractors and the people who pop in to call Nomura a hack I do enjoy these threads and the discussion. It's great since waiting on actual news and developments with the game is incredibly boring. That said I'm convinced the radio silence for this game is going to end this year and things are going to fall into place, maybe even at E3.

My brain tells me they should have never announced the game in 2013. Clearly the project was just greenlit and they also had to contend with the engine issues and all that jazz. A much better decision would have been to either announced it in 2015 at that E3 conference. Shaving 2 years of time where the public has seen and knows it's in development would have helped given how unprepared they've been to show basically anything beyond early footage. Might even have been better to announced 2.8 before 3 to build hype for an eventual announcement.

That said, my heart (lol) tells me that 2013 was the perfect time to announce it. I remember it as a fan. That day I was completely floored at the announcement and is probably one of the most exciting moments for me. The game that's always been out of reach, never announced, always hinted at. I wouldn't want to trade in that moment to be honest.

The dream is that at E3 we get a new Kingdom Hearts III trailer at the Sony Conference or something and it starts the media blitz for the game. All the doubts and anxiety can just melt away. I'm confident in it and I'm willing to be patient with their team since they've been making the jump from a 3DS title to a PS4/XBO title. HOWEVER, as I mentioned earlier in this thread if they somehow manage to not release anything this year - a trailer, world announcements, or even an assurance that the game will hit 2018 then I won't be defending em. I have the utmost confidence in them because I've loved prior titles but you can only blueball your fans for so long, ya know.

Mifec

You give allowances for CDPR but then you don't apply the same "things don't happen in a vacuum" logic to Square. You're 100% right on the vacuum point, but you've got massive double standards.

Since KH3 was announced SE have released the best FF since X, an extremely well received expansion (all of which was to revive the worst reviewed Final Fantasy ever) and they rebooted and turned around Versus XIII in 3 and a half years. That's why KH3 is taking so long, they've out their energies in to other project, one of which was successful, the other is God tier gaming.

But XII is an order of magnitude better than XV and so is A Realm Reborn. So idk what you're talking about my dude.

The problem with trying to market KH3 now is if they start to you know actually "market" the game we'll start to expect that we will get new information about it. Honestly we've seen and heard too much about this game that is and let's be honest about this nowhere near ready to be shown off.

crash-14

You simply cannot ignore Fragmentary Passage while also whining about lack of any kind of new KH footage. Ignore it as much as you want, the fact is that it IS very much meant to be a taster of KHIII. It shows us roughly where they are at with the tech of the game and it gives us a taste of the gameplay. It also shows a key character's struggles that tie straight into one of the more important things that needs to happen in KHIII which is getting Aqua the fuck out of the Realm of Darkness.

You can deny it all you want, doesn't make your whining any less wrong, considering Fragmentary Passage exists.

Yeah, let's ignore that in order to try 0.2 for 3 hours at best, you have to pay 60$. Let's treat it like some gift they handled by surprise to the community to openly show how the development of 3 is progressing, instead of paid content. Guess that's not a problem for some dickriders...

They're making you pay in order to get a taste of what's to come (And to try to justify 2.8's value).

Stop treating that like a favor when it's another milking business decision by SE. If that game was free and available to anyone, then we could agree it's kinda marketing towards KH3. But it's not. The amount of people that hasn't seen sustancial things from 0.2 and are interested in 3 it's notorious. I have friends awaiting KH3 that thought 2.8 was just KHII remake. They know better now, but they also know it didn't worth the money SE asked for if you have player 3D already and don't care about an HD version of it.
BTW, I'm pretty positive even those areas on the game (If not the entire game) were scratched parts from BBS and weren't made from 0. Let's not forget that 0.5 secret movie that had footage now included in 0.2... So not even a good mesure of what's the real scope of KHIII if I'm right...

0.2 it's as necessary as the ending in Coded. It's to give context in the universe. That tech demo didn't tell us anything new:

- Before the game we knew Aqua was in the realm of darkness and that they'll need to save her.
- We knew Master Xehanort regain control over Terra.
- We knew Ven was still sleeping.
- We knew Mickey went to the real of darkness during KH1 events.

Only purpose of that tech demo it's to fill unnecessary gaps like:

- Hey, now it's clear they know there are different Kingom Hearts.
- Hey, now we know why Mickey hasn't try to save Aqua in 10 years.
- Hey, now we know where Mickey found the keyblade from the first game.
- Hey, now we know why Mickey was shirtless at the first game.
- Hey, now we know Aqua knows who Sora is and his objective... Despite creating the umpteenth hole in the plot https://youtu.be/zYNnogO-DJI?t=213

I like context, but please, let's not try to make those events some crucial info we need it in order to not be lost when KH3 comes...

raven777

0.2 should've been a episode duscae situation imo.
Make it a pre order thing with the kh collection.

I think they are both very similar situation. With Type-0 HD they made a psp game's HD remaster full $60 by giving Episode Duscae. With 2.8 they made 3DS game's HD remaster full $60 with 0.2. The difference is that with 2.8 they made 0.2 part of the game without first print/1 year download expiration and also gave 1 hour of
pointless
video with it, while they probably did more graphical tweak with type-0's HD remaster.

What Toriyama is working now?

He worked on Mobius Final Fantasy. Not sure if he is still actively involved or moved on to another project..

crash-14

0.2 should've been a episode duscae situation imo.
Make it a pre order thing with the kh collection.

I honestly thing that would be even worse milking scenario... It has work so it can't be free, but there has to be a better and honest way to provide it to the people with the length it has. Put it out by surprise during the 15 anniversary with an affordable price tag. I don't know, but something that really feels like a marketing movement towards 3 and not a business move towards 2.8.

The thing it's, almost 5 years passed since the last time we had any sustancial KH content (KHX isn't...) so all the die hard fans were hyped towards it. Now that some months have passed since the launch, we should be cold minded and analyse what really SE provide with 0.2, which is "nothing relevant".

Everybody thought by the end of it, Aqua would be saved. That didn't happen. So, the biggest point of that story it's to know what was Aqua doing during his exile to the realm of darkness until the end of events in KH1 (Not even end of Dream Drop Distance).

Put it the way you want, It has 0 weight in the main plot and as new info to the fans . That's why in KH3 they won't show what she has being doing during the period beyond 0.2.

Shahed

Breath of the Wild was made in 4 years. The same time between E3 2013 and now. Think about that.
Hey I'm not defending the development of this game or anything. Just saying as much as I agree with the premise of OP, they got facts wrong

Yeah, let's ignore that in order to try 0.2 for 3 hours at best, you have to pay 60$. Let's treat it like some gift they handled by surprise to the community to openly show how the development of 3 is progressing, instead of paid content. Guess that's not a problem for some dickriders...

They're making you pay in order to get a taste of what's to come (And to try to justify 2.8's value).

Stop treating that like a favor when it's another milking business decision by SE. If that game was free and available to anyone, then we could agree it's kinda marketing towards KH3. But it's not. The amount of people that hasn't seen sustancial things from 0.2 and are interested in 3 it's notorious. I have friends awaiting KH3 that thought 2.8 was just KHII remake. They know better now, but they also know it didn't worth the money SE asked for if you have player 3D already and don't care about an HD version of it.
BTW, I'm pretty positive even those areas on the game (If not the entire game) were scratched parts from BBS and weren't made from 0. Let's not forget that 0.5 secret movie that had footage now included in 0.2... So not even a good mesure of what's the real scope of KHIII if I'm right...

0.2 it's as necessary as the ending in Coded. It's to give context in the universe. That tech demo didn't tell us anything new:

- Before the game we knew Aqua was in the realm of darkness and that they'll need to save her.

- Hey, now we know Aqua knows who Sora is and his objective... Despite creating the umpteenth hole in the plot https://youtu.be/zYNnogO-DJI?t=213

I like context, but please, let's not try to make those events some crucial info we need it in order to not be lost when KH3 comes...

I more or less agree with you, but I am pretty sure 0.2's assets were done from scratch.

jrush64

Banned

Can't find anything here to disagree with. They're just handling KH3 in a very shitty way and the constant excuses from certain people and silence from square don't help.

We can argue on what the best FF since X is in some other thread (sure as shit ain't XV). No one's not acknowledging why Square has been slow. I merely said they don't have a game like TW3 buying them any goodwill. XIV being dope is a feather in their cap, for sure. I always forget that dropped later in the same year (never played it).

I still feel like general audiences don't care much, though. In their eyes, KH2 came out over a decade ago, and Square's just been pussyfooting around in the meantime. XV being pretty divisive doesn't help. Sucks, but, thems the breaks.

brawly

I hate this company. They got me so hyped going into this gen with E3 2013 and then fucked up FFXV and have been taking the piss with KH.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It will just get "rebooted" by another director and they will work on updates for a more pleasurable experience after its release.

Tai yasue has done good job so far in managing projects and Osaka team's workflow, don't think that really means anything.

On the one hand i can understand the complaining because its been a while, but what have we got? 1.5 and 2.5 on PS3 to get people up to speed on kh lore prior to 3. we've got 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 to have all the games on one console(that is PS4), and we've got some mobile games...

Now if the dev team are working on KH3, its not as if they can rush it to come out any faster, i don't think anybody wants that.

LordKasual

Banned
Given that Nomura does not own Square Enix, and all of his actual work is bankrolled by the company

i think it's safe to assume that his projects are not given long development periods because he wants them to have long development periods.

It's a funny joke, and it has a bit of merit, but none of his projects are particularly low-profile anymore.

_woLf

The announcement trailer said "now in development" meaning it was very early on. Making a game takes time.

Be patient.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Are we deliberately discounting 0.2 here?
Kickass prologue\demo is better than any amount of footage.

I mean, I'm not part of the 'been waiting since kh2' crowd, so whatever. I have a bunch of other games to get through, including 2.8.

To be honest, they really shouldn't have announced KH3 that E3.

I mean, FFXV was fine to show, but KH3 was still in fucking alpha.

Last year, sure. They probably had enough by that point to say something other than 'we're making this.' But 2013? What the hell.

In comparison, P5 got delayed 3 times (development wise), but it at least had a release period when it was announced. And that game had a similar 'When's the next game' stigma attached to it at that point.

The point of all this is to say, 'Don't announce a game that's in Alpha'

Eylos

Banned
Would be funny If Toriyama announce something to release this year and the game looks good

Not the hero we want, but the hero we deserve

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I mean, I'm not part of the 'been waiting since kh2' crowd, so whatever. I have a bunch of other games to get through, including 2.8.

I guess I just don't see why "waiting since KH2" isn't valid. Yes there have been other games between then and now but with the exception of BBS they've been essentially stalling tactics. Let's say the most wildly optimistic scenario turns out to be true, and KH3 by some miracle makes it out in 2018. If you were Sora's age, 14, when KH1 came out, by the time you get to play KH3 and finally see the story finished you'll be 30. That's fucking ridiculous.

In the last four years of X-Play's existence, the most common question we got from viewers was, by a very large margin, "When is Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out?" The fact that we still don't know the answer to that question four years after X-Play went off the air is absurd.

Squire

Banned
People shit on Western devs, but if EA or Ubisoft was handling this, Moana would have just released, as dlc, to the biyearly release.

Your post makes no sense because there was a longstanding stigma attached to licensed games and that's why EA, Ubi, etc. stopped publishing them. Years and years ago.

Nobody needs to stop and consider stupid nonsense hypotheticals.

FinalAres

We can argue on what the best FF since X is in some other thread (sure as shit ain't XV). No one's not acknowledging why Square has been slow. I merely said they don't have a game like TW3 buying them any goodwill. XIV being dope is a feather in their cap, for sure. I always forget that dropped later in the same year (never played it).

I still feel like general audiences don't care much, though. In their eyes, KH2 came out over a decade ago, and Square's just been pussyfooting around in the meantime. XV being pretty divisive doesn't help. Sucks, but, thems the breaks.

Woah woah woah

It's XIV. And XIV may not be as good as TW3 but it's definitely good enough to buy a huge amount of good will. As is XV just coming out, even if the quality is just 'good'

But XII is an order of magnitude better than XV and so is A Realm Reborn. So idk what you're talking about my dude.

Yeah 100%. It's XIV which is the best FF since X, partly because its also a natural evolution to XII.

Top Bottom