• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III just has 8 min of footage almost 5 years after announced.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Would be funny If Toriyama announce something to release this year and the game looks good

Not the hero we want, but the hero we deserve

we already had bi annual releases by toriyama in the lightning trilogy. They were shite.(yes i'm using the european wording, sue me, its super stylish)

Your post makes no sense because there was a longstanding stigma attached to licensed games and that's why EA, Ubi, etc. stopped publishing them. Years and years ago.

Nobody needs to stop and consider stupid nonsense hypotheticals.

That's only because of the joint lack of respect the companies had, and the need to get a game out near a movie. Which isn't what Kingdom Hearts is. Kingdom hearts is more akin to the Arkham seeies in thats it's adapting current material, without a film to release towards.

In any case, that was the wrong direction to attack me from. More so that other Japanese directors have no issue releasing games on time. Like From or Platinum itself. Honestly, Nomura should just be fired, or forced to work on game at a time. It's ridiculous.

Inuhanyou

In any case, that was the wrong direction to attack me from. More so that other Japanese directors have no issue releasing games on time. Like From or Platinum itself. Honestly, Nomura should just be fired, or forced to work on game at a time. It's ridiculous.

You only speak about certain developers while ignoring others to suit your argument. From has multiple teams and they generally stay with the same technology and the same general scope for their projects, Platinum just got done canceling a 4 year AAA title with MS because for whatever reason they could not get it done, their latest game only a fraction of the size, or scale of any SE internally made game.

If you think Nomura( who generally does not dictate the pace games get created) being fired would make games go faster, your not really looking at SE's entire output on console for the past 10 years. There isn't much to choose from.

I guess I just don't see why "waiting since KH2" isn't valid. Yes there have been other games between then and now but with the exception of BBS they've been essentially stalling tactics. Let's say the most wildly optimistic scenario turns out to be true, and KH3 by some miracle makes it out in 2018. If you were Sora's age, 14, when KH1 came out, by the time you get to play KH3 and finally see the story finished you'll be 30. That's fucking ridiculous.

In the last four years of X-Play's existence, the most common question we got from viewers was, by a very large margin, "When is Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out?" The fact that we still don't know the answer to that question four years after X-Play went off the air is absurd.

I wasn't trying to downplay the people who have been waiting that long, or even the ones who have been around since BBS like myself. I was just saying that I could. It might just be that what I get out of the series is totally different from what most people do, so I'm at least somewhat satisfied with the stalling. And even so, I'm starting to get antsy myself, so my opinion might change in a year or two.

Azuran

Banned
I guess I just don't see why "waiting since KH2" isn't valid. Yes there have been other games between then and now but with the exception of BBS they've been essentially stalling tactics. Let's say the most wildly optimistic scenario turns out to be true, and KH3 by some miracle makes it out in 2018. If you were Sora's age, 14, when KH1 came out, by the time you get to play KH3 and finally see the story finished you'll be 30. That's fucking ridiculous.

In the last four years of X-Play's existence, the most common question we got from viewers was, by a very large margin, "When is Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out?" The fact that we still don't know the answer to that question four years after X-Play went off the air is absurd.

We're calling 4 full-blown games stalling tactics now?

Maybe Nomura didn't want to work on a console KH game after 2 came out. I don't blame him considering how much trouble people were having at first with HD development and the PS3 being a complete failure. The fact that no Dragon Quest title came out on it says it all.

Maybe Nomura didn't want to work on a console KH game after 2 came out. I don't blame him considering how much trouble people were having at first with HD development and the PS3 being a complete failure. The fact that no Dragon Quest title came out on it says it all.
What is happening in here..nomura how did u do it.

Inuhanyou

it has nothing to do with nomura wanting or not wanting to do anything. As people have been saying, Versus itself was backed up because of engine and technical issues, SE itself was in no position to be making console games with their mismanagement, hence why they are just now getting back on track.

Only reason FF13 sequels were made was bcause FF13 had already been finished and they could reuse tons of assets quickly

The PS3 was an absolute nightmare to develop for. One of the reasons why the 360 won out over the PS3. Certainly didn't help Japanese developers who were already struggling to put out HD Content.
So we're blaming the console(far from massive success but not a failure) nd not the publisher and developer?

Slater

Banned
So we're blaming the console(far from massive success but not a failure) nd not the publisher and developer?
You think people call him Lord" Nomura unironically? He's got a cult brah, just like Kojima, blame will never be placed at his feet. Somebody should look up the really blunt guy talking about Nomura in the Polygon article, I bet that's much closer to what he is actually like as a director.

raven777

Would be funny If Toriyama announce something to release this year and the game looks good

Not the hero we want, but the hero we deserve

wouldn't be surprise since I always enjoyed gameplay side of Toriyama's games. My favorite FF combats are all from Toriyama's FFs.

Squire

Banned

You could argue it would've been remarkably dumb to try and do KH3 on PS3 while struggling to make VXIII on the same hardware, too.

PS3 was an architectural nightmare; That's just a generally accepted truth. Some devs got great things out of it, but just working for Naughty Dog and Kojima Productions isn't enough. Say what you will about MS tech support, especially in Japan, but the 360 was hardware devs understood.

You're too focused on "blame", my dude. It's about why this stuff happens, not pointing fingers at any one person or institution. Shit's complex.

daman824

A ton of devs were able to release games on the PS3.

If hardware complexities is the reason why a kingdom hearts game never came out on the PS3, then the kh team at square really has no idea what they are doing

And the cdpr comparisons are horrible. Kingdom hearts is an established ip with a staggering amount of games in its fold. This is more akin to Bethesda announcing the next elder scrolls this June at e3, and then going relatively dark until 2021 or later

JayEH

A ton of devs were able to release games on the PS3.

If hardware complexities is the reason a kingdom hearts game never came out on the PS3, then the kh team at square really has no idea what they are doing

And the cdpr comparisons are horrible. Kingdom hearts is an established ip with a staggering amount of games in its fold. This is more akin to Bethesda announcing the next elder scrolls this June at e3, and then going relatively dark until 2021

the reason there was never a KH game on PS3 was because KH2 staff was going to work on Versus 13 before moving on to 3 and then all the fuckery with that happened.

like KZXcellent said there is many reasons for the series mismanagement.

Inuhanyou

Really? Cuz I have seen many of reasons not one being nomura himself. Square Enix gets it a lil bit but just a lil

I'm sure Nomura has his share of the blame in how to direct information to consumers about the state of development, but i don't think there's really any legitimate criticism to be had about his directorial skills themselves considering we have no insight onto team management beyond what we know went on during the Versus time period, that being, almost no work having been done on the project proper due to team shifts, engine troubles, and what have you.

one can't simply say the guy is a hack who should be fired with no proof beyond games taking time to make.

Even i would not say Ken levine is a hack despite Bioshock infinite coming out a hackneyed mess 6 years after starting development,

Unison

I have an OT question...

Is the entire series up to now playable now on PS4?

What games would I need to buy to get the newest/best versions of each game in the series?

The titles of them all and the way that they bundle multiple ones together is utterly baffling to me.

JayEH

I have an OT question...

What games would I need to buy to get the newest/best versions of each game in the series?

The titles of them all and the way that they bundle multiple ones together is utterly baffling to me.

Yes. Buy 1.5+2.5 and 2.8.

I have an OT question...

Ehh the two PS4 ports

I have an OT question...

The only games that are not playable are 358, Coded, and Unchained x / Union x

358 and Coded have cutscene movies on the ps3/ps4 ports, and Unchained/Union are a single F2Pmobile game under 2 different names (Union is a free expansion pack, basically.)

But ignore what I just said and get the PS4 ports.

Eylos

Banned
I have an OT question...

Yes all the series is on ps4

You have to buy two bundles
1,5+2,5
And

The best version is on pro

Zomba13

I have an OT question...

The collections on PS4 are the way to go. Like others have said 2 of the games have been made into "movies" by basically just being all the cutscenes and the mobile game is still active and free to play (and from the many missions I played of it, mostly filler). The Back Cover movie in the collection with 3D just really sets up more plot points and confusion (either to be answered in the update to the mobile game or in KH3 itself).

The games can be played in the order on the menu but yeah, the titles can be confusing.

daman824

I have an OT question...

I believe the mobile game is getting an update with new story content that is not covered in any of the collections

Easy Allies have had some discussions on the topic of game directors lately. Because Nomura is such a profilic director he will get the blame, even if he isn't at fault but he will also get praise for everybody elses work if the game turns out good.

Plus it's fun to give him shit from time to time.

Azuran

Banned

The PS3 was a colossal failure even if Sony doesn't say it outright. It may not have been Wii U levels bad, but come on, going from 155m PS2 units sold to only around 80m PS3s is not exactly a success. Also, as mentioned the system was a development nightmare for the majority of the gaming industry. Horror stories about the system were the norm 10 years ago on this site.

Also, the system without a doubt a failure in Japan, which greatly affected the development of Japanese series. It wasn't that long ago to be forgetting about this stuff.

Easy Allies have had some discussions on the topic of game directors lately. Because Nomura is such a profilic director he will get the blame, even if he isn't at fault but he will also get praise for everybody elses work if the game turns out good.

Tai needs to be more in the spotlight don't get enough credit

If we don't see anything at E3 this game won't becoming out until 2019.
I can't see any scenario with this game not being there. Slim chance it isn't there,if ppl don't find that Sus idk what it'll take

A 3 minute nice substantial gameplay trailer with a release window at least would make it game of show for me

The PS3 was a colossal failure even if Sony doesn't say it outright. It may not have been Wii U levels bad, but come on, going from 155m PS2 units sold to only around 80m PS3s is not exactly a success. Also, as mentioned the system was a development nightmare for the majority of the gaming industry. Horror stories about the system were the norm 10 years ago on this site.

Also, the system without a doubt a failure in Japan, which greatly affected the development of Japanese series. It wasn't that long ago to be forgetting about this stuff.

Thats some top tier hyperbole.
4th best selling console ever is a collosal failure sure. So nintendo has only ever tasted morbid success twice and ms has been a failure through and through.

Inuhanyou

Well sure. Devs dont get credit in general unless the director is known. Its the same with Kojima, YT, and such as well...

But we obviously know that the only project Nomura is full on hands on with at the moment with is FF7R, so i think Tai yasue should be getting the credit for how he's managing Osaka team, just like if FF7R comes out, Nomura and CC2 should get the credit.

If dissidia comes out well we should give Team ninja credit for doing triple duty with possibly another DOA installment on the way, doing Nioh and such at the same time too. They have also been helping omega force on Toukiden.

Neonep

Wait... Nomura is on this? Wasn't him being replaced by Tabata basically the main reason why FFXV actually came out?

night814

SE just needs to be smarter about what they tell the public, games take a long time to develope​ and they know better than a lot of devs about having to change course mid stream. Announce when it's coming out in 6 months, not when development is in early stages and the plots not fleshed out. Being too early causes enthusiasts like ourselves to think the worse when we hear nothing for years. This is because games have disappeared after being shown even for years at a time. Not seeing anything for a while will always cause these sorts of thought processes, things like dev diary's and small weekly/monthly updates are what's​ needed to nip these thoughts in the bud, and are not very hard to do.

Inuhanyou

Wait... Nomura is on this? Wasn't him being replaced by Tabata basically the main reason why FFXV actually came out?

No. FF15 came out because SE upper management basically told Tabata that he had to release the game in 2016 no matter what state the game was in. Which left us with the incomplete half game we got.

It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but for many it was lacking.

Nomura was ejected for an unknown reason, but because we know he had been working as director of FF7R and creative director overseeing KH3 as well as working on WOFF, Dissidia and tons of other games at the same time(this was before FF7R's reveal), my guess is SE forced him out so he could better focus on those other projects and they could draft Tabata to be the one to cut and splice the game into a shape for release as fast as possible.

tumblr_inline_nvptexFR8j1qk0hwg_540.png

I wonder if square is gonna put there foot down and give them a year they have to hit, i could definitely see them giving them until holiday 2018 with a serious marketing cycle starting shortly

Inuhanyou

I wonder if square is gonna put there foot down and give them a year they have to hit, i could definitely see them giving them until holiday 2018 with a serious marketing cycle starting shortly

I actually think they care way more about KH3 as a mythical property for the western audience than FF15. Whether that means giving the team more time to finish it is probably unknown, but Osaka team probably bought themselves time with upper management with the remasters and 2.8 showing they had stuff for KH still coming out this year.

If they had spent years not having literally anything from KH coming down the pipe from the announcement of KH3 4 years ago, the pressure would have probably been harsher.

ZeoVGM

Banned
we already had bi annual releases by toriyama in the lightning trilogy. They were shite.(yes i'm using the european wording, sue me, its super stylish)

They were not shite.

XIII is very flawed. XIII-2 is a very good game.

(I haven't finished LR.)

Inuhanyou

They were not shite.

XIII is very flawed. XIII-2 is a very good game.

(I haven't finished LR.)

They were shite

XIII was a very flawed game. XIII2 was a flawed game with an incomprehensible narrative, FF13LR was very bad. This all adds up to a mediocre and shite trilogy.

That trilogy hurt brand perception in a big way.

morgtheborg140

Neo Member
They were shite

XIII was a very flawed game. XIII2 was a flawed game with an incomprehensible narrative, FF13LR was very bad. This all adds up to a mediocre and shite trilogy.

XIII is the best 'modern' FF, yeah the story is flawed. But the combat, the characters and the soundtrack is excellent.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The PS3 was a colossal failure even if Sony doesn't say it outright.

This is factually incorrect.

It may not have been Wii U levels bad

It isn't even in the same realm and it's ridiculous to even mention the Wii U. The Wii U was a failure. The PS3 was a successful console. This isn't an arguable point.

but come on, going from 155m PS2 units sold to only around 80m PS3s is not exactly a success

Absolute nonsense. It outsold the 360 just barely by the end of the generation. PS2 was an absolute phenomenon that even the Wii couldn't reach. It sold 50m less than the PS2, which will likely never be topped.

I was 90% a 360 guy last gen, only getting into PS3 at the very end. And the PS3 absolutely had a disastrous launch. Yet it rebounded and sold a little more than the hugely successful 360.

Comparing any console to PS2, even the follow up, is disingenuous.

Inuhanyou

XIII is the best 'modern' FF, yeah the story is flawed. But the combat, the characters and the soundtrack is excellent.

The story was bad. The only tolerable characters were Sazh and Fang.....the gameplay was ok, but the game itself being a hallway, it would be pretty shitty to have bad combat on top of that.

I can't believe you said it was the "best modern FF", what does that even entail considering it came out 7 years ago.

Having good production values like graphics and music are not pluses, that is just what i expect from FF by default. if everything else is bad, that's not good

ZeoVGM

Banned
They were shite

Nah, don't agree. XIII had plenty of flaws but I firmly believe was a good game. The battle system was fantastic. The hate it gets is a bit hyperbolic and I believe comes from what the XIII series represents as a whole. But it's a good game.

XIII-2 was absolutely comprehensible. I'm sorry you didn't understand it, I guess. The story was crazy and dumb but I had no issue understanding it.

And the gameplay was so damn good, it didn't matter. It's a great game.

Again, I didn't finish LR so I can't judge it. But I've seen many people say the story is stupid but that the gameplay is great and worth playing.

This was proven incorrect by FFXV sales, which is yet another divisive FF game like XIII.

It had many people on the internet talking badly about the series but that didn't translate to "hurt brand perception." XV was a success.

Top Bottom