• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

branny

But man on man, the bugs
:lol

^^^^^
Once again, the build is three months old and it was either put out a demo with issues that they've fixed in development, or not put out a demo at all. Many of those bugs have been confirmed as fixed.
This is a demo impressions thread. Whether or not the bugs are fixed, is it not understandable that people can be turned off by something supposed to be representative of the final product?

This post should be required reading for anybody curious about the combat at later levels. And check out the last 30-45 seconds of the combat video if you want to see some examples of higher level ad-hoc combo chains.
Cool, but no. I really hope I'm wrong, and I really hope that this is the best combat ever. But, from where I'm sitting, that's not the case at all. Long post alert.

Those chains aren't meaningful, and, upon closer inspection, even all that varied. They're just displaying the one combo different character builds can do against enemies 1v1. For starters, you probably won't be changing up your equipment or build constantly enough to make a montage like that a common occurrence. Also, you'll likely be fighting multiple foes at once, so a long, novelty attack string is bound to get you injured in the process. And even 1v1, there's no reason not to just spam quick attacks since you can continue pummeling enemies while they're still on the ground (unless it's different on Hard or later in the game--you can gang up on enemies just fine in the demo; they don't seem to have any recovery invulnerability once they've been downed). Your character can do a lot, but without the meaningful application of that utility within any given build or situations/enemies where mechanics like ostentatious juggling, stunlocking, animation speed/canceling, etc. actually matter, it is a combat system that's only halfway finished. If you have the ability render some enemy helpless by a long juggle, then that better damn well be some payoff for a risky encounter. As it stands, this looks like a combat system destined to get extremely repetitive, especially considering how big the game is if that map is anything to go by.

In the combat diary, it's stressed that you normally start with light attacks and work your way up to finishing with magic. That's an alarmingly linear way of tackling mechanics that would've otherwise intrinsically offered more room for player creativity. The auxiliary abilities/power attacks on weapons are all triggered by the same button as attack--you will either need to stagger a regular combo attack, or spend time charging up to access them. The fact that they are not readily available only makes them less practical. For a game with supposedly so many potential builds, many characters will function similarly no matter their specializations in a system like this. The majority of destinies only give one or two abilities with slightly different effects while the rest are simply % modifiers. And none of that doesn't seem to matter because it looks like you will be walking death by the end of the game, anyway. I am not convinced by this PR bullshit. Amalur is Fable in more ways than one.

The example of a mage you have in that post only highlights these problems. So many of the tricks that mage has up her sleeve function similarly. Why list several AoEs as unique options (why knock down enemies when you can juggle them? does enemy size/weight affect falling speed and force you to modify attacks on the fly? what's the proration like? is there any? from the demo, enemies can actually lift higher and higher with quick, consecutive attacks! and how does juggling compare to other effects like gathering or stunning in terms of utility? do these debuffs stack? overwrite? what about damage? time to cast?)? Why list several escape maneuvers as unique options (the ice blink will slow enemies down for free, and you've probably landed other effects by now--why bother with the chakram evade when blinking away is probably the better choice?)? Why list skills that take a while to charge up as a viable options to approach and respond when they are often not immediately accessible? There are only a handful of techniques effectively different enough to be considered meaningful in that build. And some skills don't even seem particularly useful. Why bother with marking enemies to explode them later when you can just directly damage them right away? Can you kite things for a while to explode enemies nearby? Is the explosion worth the tradeoff? Does it grow in damage as time passes? Is it viral, like in Diablo? What effectively is the difference between an ice barrage and other attacks that directly damage? Where is the tradeoff? The bonus? Elemental advantage? Magic cost? Speed? Recovery? Enemy resistance? Enemy amount? Affected area? Special targeting? It lists piercing damage, ice damage, and freezing damage. What's the difference? What's the point? The game is too slow with too borked a camera to capitalize on most of that build's theoretical potential. Why have all those options if there's no specific reason to? Why is there so much overlap, so much fat, when there's already little to choose from? There are too many unknowns, too much "going on faith" in proportion to what the demo has unfortunately displayed. There's too much focus on creating complexity within a box of simplicity, if that makes sense--a lot of stuff seems needlessly padded out, overflowing sideways instead of driving deeper. This particular build doesn't even seem like it'd be all too different from any other mage one in terms of how it plays--you'd have to rely on might/sorcery or finesse/sorcery for a more varied mage experience because there's not enough variety within the sorcery tree alone. The demo's ability tree in general is dreadful. It's almost as bad the perks in Skyrim. 1/3 of each tree is devoted to giving you combat abilities any other (action) game would've started you out with, another 1/3 gives the entirety of the skills you'll be using throughout the game if you refuse to hybridize, and the last 1/3 gives bonuses to those skills that could've just been upgrade paths.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have been getting thrown around. Let's use them as an example. Comparatively, those games give players less options. The reason the battle system is good is because enemies are bound to the same rules as the player. You're not grossly overpowered. Most spells are unique and properly balance cost with effectiveness in a myriad of ways. Attacking, defending, evading--all of these require commitment and management of resources within dynamic combat scenarios where your environment matters almost as much as what you're fighting. The system is simple, quick, and elegant, not superfluously convoluted. The camera and targeting are not the best, but encounters are intimate, dire, and thus generally unhindered by technical shortcomings. Amalur seems about as simple but with many more augments attempting to create an illusion of depth that does not appear to exist at all, or, worse, draws out the whole affair much longer than it needs to be.

Ceebs

So, the game refuses to render the game world, which is kind of weird. Completely black, though the HUD is still drawn on top. Menus/etc. work just fine.

I assume it's something specific to my rig because I don't see anyone else bitching about this. It's kind of a huge dealbreaker, though, especially when I haven't had a single other system-specific bug since buying this computer over a year ago.

ATI 5770, updated with the drivers from the 12/30

Turn off post processing.

Gattsu25

Banned
It's been mentioned before, the demo is based off of code that is at least two to three months old.

For those that don't know how it works, if you're doing a pre-release demo of your game, at some point, you have to go "OK, our build is stable enough now for us to branch our code base." The main branch gets more love (and therefore bug fixes, etc) because it has more time. The demo just has major bugs fixed before it is pushed out.

Plus you have to go through the whole submission process with Microsoft and Sony for the demo too, so I'm going to say this is closer to three months old (and even that is a bit surprising.)
Okay...?

For shits and giggles: What is the submission process like with the version that I played (steam)?

Dartastic

This is a demo impressions thread. Whether or not the bugs are fixed, is it not understandable that people can be turned off by something supposed to be representative of the final product?
Prerelease demos are never completely representative of the final product. Ever. Some are obviously more developed than others, but they are never completely representative of the final game. They just give you a taste of what to expect. As far as combat and what not, do you really think that they were ever going to put everything out there?
Okay...?

For shits and giggles: What is the submission process like with the version that I played (steam)?
I honestly don't know what the submission process is for Steam, but for consoles the demo needs to be split off from the main development process, and that takes time and resources away from the development of the full game. This is never easy for a company to do. In addition to that, the demo needs to be put through compliance at EA at least a month before it's released, because after it gets bug tested and what not it still has to be sent to Sony and Microsoft for approval. This all takes time. EA also has to test the PC version of the demo, but there are so many configurations of PC's there's no way they can test all hardware configs. They basically make sure it works on 7, Vista, and XP. If it runs, hooray.

And yes, this demo was bug tested, but chances are 38 had to defer the bugs for time and resource reasons and the fact that it was a demo. I can almost guarantee you that JUST due to the submission process, that the majority of these bugs will be fixed in the final game. Seriously.

branny said:
There's too much focus on creating complexity within a box of simplicity, if that makes sense--a lot of stuff seems needlessly padded out, overflowing sideways instead of driving deeper.
I don't disagree with your observations but I think its too early for those conclusions, and I highlighted one aspect of your post that I interpret in a completely different light, so much so that it's an aspect of the game design that draws me to this game.

And its this: They took the time to develop a combat system that didn't require a ton of buttons or memorization of long linear combos - thus providing accessibility as well as instant access to many more abilities, and shifted a lot of abilities to being passive or reactive (after block/parry/roll, etc.) so that they don't require additional button bindings. That's the only way it seems to get so many options at once on a controller without having to utilize crazy combo-strings of arcane button presses. I'd also argue that charged and timed abilities ARE directly available in combat. They just require that you manage your timing.

Having only played the demo and watched videos of later gameplay I'll concede that you might be absolutely right, but for me it's too early to tell and I like the direction they've taken. Like I mentioned earlier, its the promise of Fable's one-button combat, only it looks like it actually works.

We'll see though.

Tried playing the demo again on PS3 and it ran worse than the first time.

This time, there was barely any sounds at all when playing. Sometimes, sounds music would play and then abruptly cut off. Graphical glitches galore.

This demo does not make me confident of the game proper. Ill wait for reviews and for Gaf impressions before buying the game.

Flavius

Really, really pleasantly surprised by this demo. I'll be honest: I'm still not sure if I'm in the "sold" category as of yet, but that has more to do with my current backlog of games (and my preferred genres), than the quality of what's here.

Combat mechanics are great. I don't play every rpg out there, but I'd say they're the best mechanics I've encountered in a game of this type. I like the look of the world, as well as the character design, but agree that it's far from original...and very, very Fable/WoW-like in appearance. Not to say that's a bad thing. Love the saturated colors. Nothing earth-shattering here, but technically and artistically proficient.

A bit too much lore for me right off the bat, but I'm not sure if that's the game, this particular demo build, or just me not being the biggest fan of games such as these. The approach certainly seems novel, based on what I've experienced previously.

Really hope this is successful. I'll say it again, I was very impressed by the combat. Again, not that it was entirely original or anything (I recently completed God of War 3 and felt very much at home here), but to have that sort of combat in this sort of open world, in this type of game, is a great combo. I can't really find fault in anything that I encountered. I suppose if anything, I'd like a but more of a "punch" to the graphics, and would have appreciated a more unique approach to the art, but again, it's perfectly competent and does not detract from the experience.

Good stuff, 38 Studios...hope this does well for you!

EDIT: My impressions are based on the 360 demo, by the way.

Otheradam

Tried the demo on pc and 360. Really disappointed they both basically looked the same. Controls on 360 felt really good and I can see why the pc controls suck. Basically seems like the pc version is the port here. Since it doesn't have multi, I'm leaning towards pc version, but I don't think it's worth $60 (for pc version? WTF EA). Game seems unpolished, but fun. Menus are really lacking and ugly though. Will get during a steam sale.

branny

We'll see though.
Yeah, I can totally agree with everything you said, too. It's already better than a lot of crap out there; the demo just has me worried. I hope it turns out okay in the long run. Unfortunately, I'm waiting on impressions now instead of getting it day 1 like I had originally planned. =\

It seems like Fable except the main character actually feels good to control and the combat is better. I dug the few minutes I played. Couldn't care less about the story though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Some of you folks seem to be taking this straight to the heart in some capacity. I fear for your blood pressure.

Saige

I must do better.
Seems like an okay game, the mouse controls were bad but I could see it being fine with a game-pad.

Hard to say much else since I was really fighting the controls the entire demo.

Will the PC retail version be Steamworks or Originworks?

Neither I believe. It probably has an EA sign-in for extra content but it does not require Origin as far as I know. I don't think the retail version is steam locked either. If you buy it digitally through Steam it has steamworks features like achievements, cloud save, etc.

dominuece

It plays better than the Fable lot, that's for sure. There's just something that doesn't click with me. I'm ok with the art style and I'm aware that there is a story. Maybe it's the chunky black bar that comes up with the text(360). I'll play it again.

bhlaab

The inventory in this game is infuriating. You have to highlight the thing you want to equip and then press enter to equip it. You can't rebind it from enter. That is somehow even worse than Oblivion's PC UI. The main way to enter the UI is by pressing esc. Even though there is a hotkey for inventory you still have to click on weapons/armor/accessories because having them all on the same inventory screen would be crazy. It's designed for a gamepad and they made zero concessions.

But that doesnt matter because the game seems to be garbage
This happened when I started the game
E51E9FC2F8184A27769CE0867C22CCD3536D864F

Cool but i think I'll deal

A1D87FD9A70798F98B607C6E00F65A9179F067F0

I think this might be the bad guy. He sits on a red crystal throne and literally laughs out loud to himself as the camera zooms out to a wide shot of a lair.
The intro movie talks about a powerful race called the "fae" which is a stupid name for a powerful race.

The whole idea is that you're dead and brought to the morgue by latex gnomes but then you wake up somehow! What a cool way to start an rpg I can't believe nobodys thought of it before.

Character creation is you pick your race which amounts to like +5 of a skill. I chose the one that's +5% critical hit chance +5 critical damage +1 magic because her boobs were out the most except when you start the game her boobs arent out. Thanks a lot Todd Macfarlane.
Then you pick a god which is adds a small amount to some skills. I picked the one that was +5% critical hit chance.
Then you pick a face.
That's pretty much character creation. It's like a streamlined oblivion because in that you ended up good at every skill and in this you start out good at every skill.

Then I fought some stuff
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when you say "combat system" because as far as I can tell that system is press the mouse button hella alot.
58E23663FA21567BD412AA821C658A576F0FFB15

giant rats

FF406714995BCD4F0DE5B61A4456C4DD9EB4CADF

giant spiders

fuck you game fuck you todd macfarlane

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Dude, fantasy games like this ALWAYS have giant spiders in them. Remember that list of JRPG cliches from years ago (but still hilariously true)? There needs to be one for WRPGS in the fantasy setting. Rule number 4 is Giant Spiders, there is always some sort of Giant Spider or Spider like thing in a fantasy WRPG

Fredescu

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when you say "combat system" because as far as I can tell that system is press the mouse button hella alot.
So you played some of the tutorial and thought that was the extent of the combat system? Have you played RPGs before?

chifanpoe

Dude, fantasy games like this ALWAYS have giant spiders in them. Remember that list of JRPG cliches from years ago (but still hilariously true)? There needs to be one for WRPGS in the fantasy setting. Rule number 4 is Giant Spiders, there is always some sort of Giant Spider or Spider like thing in a fantasy WRPG

You can thank Tolkien and D&D for that.

bhlaab

So you played some of the tutorial and thought that was the extent of the combat system? Have you played RPGs before?

Well I clicked a lot and made it out okay so if there's more that means the imperative is on me to try to make their game fun and interesting to play for them.

Xilium

Giants rats or an equivalent are right up there too.

bhlaab said:
Well I clicked a lot and made it out okay so if there's more that means the imperative is on me to try to make their game fun and interesting to play for them.
It's still more involved than 95% of other WRPG combat options even if you don't take full advantage of the system (the dodge mechanic alone makes sure of that).

Fredescu

That's an odd way of putting it, but yes, there are a lot of different abilities to choose and paths to take for your character.

They're in most any rpg western or otherwise. "Giant wild animal" is the most common early enemy types before you get to freaky magical stuff. Rats, spiders, boars, bears...

ironcreed

Banned
Played through it again tonight on PS3 and the audio was fine this time. Naturally, I really got drawn in even more as a result. I have already given my impressions like beating a dead horse, so I'll just say that the more I play of it, the more I can see that the game is going to be fucking great. I am hooked.

there are more moves that involve variations of clicking; click-pause-pick, hold click, et al. demo was locked on normal and way too easy to bother with them. I took on the entire town and didn't even need to block.

I worry that even hard will be too easy. It seems like Torchlight where Hard is Normal, Normal is Easy, and Easy is Kirby.

Effect

Finally finished the demo. However I'm having second thoughts about buying the game now. While I like aspects of the game well enough, Salvatore being behind the lore is a huge plus (the main reason why I started playing attention to the game), the demo just isn't clicking with me as much as I wish it was. There are technical issues such as the frame rate but I can understand that the demo is an old build and keep that in a separte list from the content issues I have.

I appreciate how colorful the game is (once I brighten the game and still not sure I got it correctly). That they wanted to go for something out of this world in terms of locations is great but also a double edge sword for me as I would like something more grounded in reality in terms of location designs after seeing what they're offering hands on.

Story wise it just did nothing for me. Perhaps because it's an early build and that's directly impacting how that's being delivered (character animation, voice over, etc). I think I went over every open area of demo (didn't finish all the quest but started all of them I think.) and nothing really stood out to me. This goes a long way for me in helping me enjoy games, especially RPGish games. Fable's world and setup (town buying, etc) has a certain charm that pulled me which helped me enjoy the series. Speaking of which combat in KoR is similar to Fable which I see as a plus. I enjoyed that the most about the game but that only goes far. The story needs to grab me right from the start however and this didn't. I like to think I went into this without any expectations as well.

I don't like how the menu system is designed in the game either. I don't care for the camera position. Taking on a group of enemies is one thing. I don't like how they seemingly come out of nowhere when I'm traveling.

I'm going to pass in the end do to feeling this way after the demo. There is suppose to be a LOT of content in this game and I don't think I'll have the desire to go through it. I certainly don't want waste any money (even if I can get it for $48) and time when I have other games I want play that I"m more excited about.

causan

Well after completing the tutorial yesterday and the 45 minute free roam today its a definite buy for me. My birthday is a week after release so I know what Im spending my amazon gift cards on.

The inventory in this game is infuriating. You have to highlight the thing you want to equip and then press enter to equip it. You can't rebind it from enter. That is somehow even worse than Oblivion's PC UI. The main way to enter the UI is by pressing esc. Even though there is a hotkey for inventory you still have to click on weapons/armor/accessories because having them all on the same inventory screen would be crazy. It's designed for a gamepad and they made zero concessions.

But that doesnt matter because the game seems to be garbage
This happened when I started the game
E51E9FC2F8184A27769CE0867C22CCD3536D864F

Cool but i think I'll deal

A1D87FD9A70798F98B607C6E00F65A9179F067F0

I think this might be the bad guy. He sits on a red crystal throne and literally laughs out loud to himself as the camera zooms out to a wide shot of a lair.
The intro movie talks about a powerful race called the "fae" which is a stupid name for a powerful race.

The whole idea is that you're dead and brought to the morgue by latex gnomes but then you wake up somehow! What a cool way to start an rpg I can't believe nobodys thought of it before.

Character creation is you pick your race which amounts to like +5 of a skill. I chose the one that's +5% critical hit chance +5 critical damage +1 magic because her boobs were out the most except when you start the game her boobs arent out. Thanks a lot Todd Macfarlane.
Then you pick a god which is adds a small amount to some skills. I picked the one that was +5% critical hit chance.
Then you pick a face.
That's pretty much character creation. It's like a streamlined oblivion because in that you ended up good at every skill and in this you start out good at every skill.

Then I fought some stuff
58E23663FA21567BD412AA821C658A576F0FFB15

giant rats

FF406714995BCD4F0DE5B61A4456C4DD9EB4CADF

giant spiders

fuck you game fuck you todd macfarlane

Yeah, I highlighted the parts where you tried way too hard. Better luck next post?

braves01

Banned
I've tried playing this twice on my PS3, and both times portions of the audio have cut out and NPC text auto-skips right around the time I get to the end of the cave. The first time the demo even froze once I got out into the field. When the game worked it was really fun though. I found the camera to be a little wonky like everyone's been saying, however. Nevertheless, I'll keep an eye on it and maybe pick it up if the bugs aren't too bad.

Nista

Neither I believe. It probably has an EA sign-in for extra content but it does not require Origin as far as I know. I don't think the retail version is steam locked either. If you buy it digitally through Steam it has steamworks features like achievements, cloud save, etc.

I would not buy the retail PC version if you are adverse to Origin. If you want the game on Steam, then get the digital version.

ReaperXL7

so it's their fault that you don't want to use your abilities, combat manuvers, spells, timing? I'm stuggling to understand this concept of people complaining about the combat system when it can be mixed up in various ways if you attempt to do so.

I've watched people button mash games like DMC, God of War, and various other action games and win. The fun to me is when you actively participate in the combat, which Reckoning allows alot of room for.

I'm really starting to see why devs that make open world RPGs do not do demos more often. how do you properly show it to the public in an unfinished state? How do show them the entire package without giving them the whole game? Sure you could throw them in a level 20 and let them run around or something, but how many would be overwhelmed by something like that? you do the beginning, and people complain that it lacks complexity when they have not even gotten to level 2 yet. How do you convey that problems in the demo are fixed in the retail build (because people can't seem to read most of the time on this one.

So far the game seems to have more depth then Skyrim by a mile, and even with the current demo bugs is more playable, and polished.

Seanspeed

Banned
I saw the demo's 2GB, said fuck it, and came here to read up on the impressions instead. Gotta say, all the negatives I'm reading sorta put a damper on my expectations. Camera issues are a real pet peeve of mine, so that's especially disappointing to hear.

Was planning on getting this day one, but unless they tweak around the stuff, I might hold off until reviews come in and/or price drop sales.

I think people are too vocal about the negatives and not focusing enough on the positives, myself included.

If the game continues to be as good in the full version as the demo suggests, it should get some very good reviews, by both users and publications.

The camera issues are valid, but they are hardly game-breaking. There's no point where its absolutely ruining my experience or anything. Its just that everything else is done very competently that things like this stick out. You still have control of the camera in most situations, its just that its very quick-moving and easy to over-do it. They've said they're aware of the complaints, so it could be made better in the full release, but even if it isn't, I wouldn't stay away just because of this if you were THAT excited for the game.

Eusis

For anyone who was like me, played through the demo fully on one platform, then wants the unlockables on another: Yes, idling will work just fine until you hit the counter. ME3 items now show up as being on PC and 360 on the Bioware page now, whereas before it was just PC.

ironcreed

Banned
I have no problems with the camera. It can whip around a tad fast sometimes, but I have seen FAR worse offenders. Try Risen on the Xbox 360 if you truly want to see bad camera control. This is a pleasure to play with in comparison. As for the distance, it is about where I like it in third person games, so I am fine.

Hannar

Played through on all 3 versions now. Going to play the final game on each of them as well. I can't get enough of this right now -- it was what I hoped for.

Maybe he really likes the concept and he can play 3 completely different characters. Oh and he really really wants to give them money.

At least he will be able to tell people the bad sides of each version XD

If he were a REAL fan he'd buy it on Steam, Origin, and boxed retail PC.

Top Bottom