• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

That might be true, world seems pretty huge from world map so it would certainly need some kind of fast transportation at least. If the option was no fast travel, or fast travel anywhere, I would certainly still go with the latter.

Keep in mind that fast travel is optional, people. Don't use it if it doesn't suit your playstyle.

The demo of Reckoning that released last week was of a 3 month old build. This explains the various bugs present in the demo. Curt has said that the bugs aren’t present in the final build.

-Completionists will be delighted to know that the game clocks in around 200-300 hours if you really want to get and see everything that the world of Amalur has to offer.

-The first downloadable content for Reckoning will be released around the time that Mass Effect 3 comes out in March. This DLC will work on bridging Reckoning to the MMO tie-in, Copernicus, that 38 Studios is currently working on.

-EA told 38 that the DLC for reckoning was "Too Big", 38 went with it anway

-Certain monsters from Reckoning will be playable in Copernicus. (The MMO)

-The character of Amalur are meant to be memorable. You’re going to see them in the future, whether it’s in Copernicus, or even Reckoning 2.

-Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2 confirmed.

-Reckoning has gone gold.

-Reckoning will have advertisements during the Superbowl.

-Schilling will be on Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon to promote Reckoning.

-Special demos have been prepared for both shows.

-Schilling will be recording Kimmel’s show on January 26th, and Fallon’s show sometime next week. The air date of both of these episodes is currently unknown.

-To further promote Reckoning, 38 studios has given the 4-5 biggest live-streamers in the world a copy of Reckoning to stream on launch day.

-Speaking of launch day, GameStop will be holding a midnight launch for Reckoning, and Schilling will be at a midnight launch in Massachusetts.

Curt Schilling has his finger on the pulse of the industry. This right here proves he "gets it" and knows all the right moves to make this a success. I've never seen so many good ideas in one place.

And SuperBowl ads? I think you can count on this one becoming a million seller. The quality and the mind share (after the Super Bowl) are there.

Leezard

Curt Schilling has his finger on the pulse of the industry. This right here proves he "gets it" and knows all the right moves to make this a success. I've never seen so many good ideas in one place.

And SuperBowl ads? I think you can count on this one becoming a million seller. The quality and the mind share (after the Super Bowl) are there.

Well, I'm hyped now.

DireStr8s

Amalur is a bit GameLoft-y in it's presentation. However, merely 'serviceable' graphics & being a pastiche didn't stop Dungeon Hunters: Alliance from being a good game. Hopefully BHGames has loftier ambitions in gameplay & design. The demo seemed to show that. I certainly had alot of fun with it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Amalur is a bit GameLoft-y in it's presentation. However, merely 'serviceable' graphics & being a pastiche didn't stop Dungeon Hunters: Alliance from being a good game. Hopefully BHGames has loftier ambitions in gameplay & design. The demo seemed to show that. I certainly had alot of fun with it.

From what I seen of the later areas, things pick up a great deal in terms of art.

Concept17

When I first glanced over the 'skills' in this game, I was kind of disappointed. But after reading what each one actually does, it looks like almost all of them could be extremely useful, and I have no idea what route I want to go other than stealth.

Khezu

From what I seen of the later areas, things pick up a great deal in terms of art.

Ya, the areas from the live stream were a lot better then the lame forest in the demo.
Hopefully there is also full blown giant city's, and not just small mini villages.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ya, the areas from the live stream were a lot better then the lame forest in the demo.
Hopefully there is also full blown giant city's, and not just small mini villages.

I think it was intentional honestly. That feeling of a timid forest at first will be like... oh this isn't anything too special. But ever step after that they want to take your breath away. Tera was designed the same way actually.

ReaperXL7

Well we already know of two such cities, Rathir the dark elf capitia which was shown at last years E3 dev walkthrough and the gnome city in the desert region. I also think there is a fae city in the cradle of summer but don't remember off the top of my head. I do think there are more smaller villages and towns. Than full blown cities though.

Hannar

The initial village does have 6 buildings, one of which is an inn, another which appears to be the dormitory type house for the religious order there. It opens up a bit more once you complete the quest that opens the back half of the village.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, just played the demo. Holy crap. I've never played a demo that's taken something from completely off the radar to a must buy before. Usually I have some interest before I download the demo but this I just checked out because I heard good things. This is how you do a demo. Lots of content and lots of ways to play around with your character.

Also, the bonus items are tied to the EA account, right? I can delete the demo and be able to get them? I want to get rid of it so I don't keep playing it and burn myself out on the game.

Levyne

Banned
Ok, game seems a bit buggy. I keep having NPCs auto-skip their text.

Also my game froze about 25 minutes into the "free roam" segment. Any motivation to load it back up and finish it out? (Unlocks for this game or ME3?)

Wallach

Ok, game seems a bit buggy. I keep having NPCs auto-skip their text.

Also my game froze about 25 minutes into the "free roam" segment. Any motivation to load it back up and finish it out? (Unlocks for this game or ME3?)

There's one final ME3 unlock at the conclusion of the 45 minute timer segment.

Wallach

Would it be hurting me at all just to be idle for 45 minutes? Lol. Have a test to study for :(

No, just make sure you play up to the part where you pick a Destiny card again and get the message that the 45 minute timer has started. Also don't leave it paused since the timer only runs during gameplay, just go park somewhere safe.

Levyne

Banned
No, just make sure you play up to the part where you pick a Destiny card again and get the message that the 45 minute timer has started. Also don't leave it paused since the timer only runs during gameplay, just go park somewhere safe.

Ok, cool. Yep I remember an unlock at the density card guy.

Lain

I'm kinda disappointed the game has fast travel, I really don't think it needs it. A couple of taxi services placed in key parts of the world map would have been more then enough.

I'm glad it has fast travel instead. I won't have to be annoyed by having to go through places I don't need just to reach my destination and waste time, I can just fast travel to where I want to go and where I need to be at.

Levyne

Banned
Also I will add that despite some issues (skipped text and freezing, other weird things), this game has gone from "Huh, Curt Schilling?" to one I will definitely pick up someday.

Hannar

Ah, you are correct. For some reason I was thinking pre order items. You are still able to get the stuff from the Steam version if you link your EA account.

Random thing, but I also like the music transition into the battles: http://youtu.be/2bUBa6Issj4?t=8s

It's simple, but effective. Obviously not that big a deal, but when you have to hear it a million times over the course of 100 hours, it's nice that it's not something you absolutely cringe at every time it pops up. I guess I'll have to see if my reaction stays that way after I get deep into it though.

EDIT: Okay, the shrill http://youtu.be/2bUBa6Issj4?t=54s might get on my nerves after awhile...

moop1167

Dude this game... the combat, it like reminds me of the olden days where games were just fun. The combat system is simple but DEEP... you can get like really good at it. It's like a combination of your stats and skills and reacting to a situation. I was having fun just trying to line up multiple mobs for the vortex pull.

I ran into a walled-off keep area... said it wasn't accessible in the demo. Hopefully that's a big city or something in the game.

Orca

Played through the demo five or six times (the ability to skip past the intro was a fantastic idea that helped make me willing to go through the demo again) as different builds and I plan to pick it up at release for sure, though there are some things I hope they have hammered out for launch, can patch after, or consider for a sequel.

It would be nice if stealth builds worked more consistently, for example. Even using the distraction item it was difficult to get close to some enemies for a backstab, impossible for others. And sneaking up and dispatching an enemy in two attacks drew a crowd, but if I was able to hide (behind a tent in one instance) they would de-aggro...but just stand there waiting. Maybe that's a bug, but it was annoying.

The loot was great though. I loved the ability to quickly compare between items and the quick look I got at smithing looked pretty positive. I leveled to nearly five in one play, collecting everything, then salvaged and tried to make the best items I could as time was expiring. The potential is there for some really nice stuff, given time to get better materials...

scy

...the ability to skip past the intro was a fantastic idea that helped make me willing to go through the demo again...

Dear god yes. A small thing, I guess, but it really helped drive the point of trying out the "classes" and the variations of the game. If I had to repeat that tutorial segment, I doubt I would have done anything but the one time through.

Hawk269

I have not kept up on the game in the last week or so, but now that the game is gold, have they said anything more about the PC version of the game? Just wondering if stuff like the texture pop-in, additional graphical options etc have been corrected.

I have not kept up on the game in the last week or so, but now that the game is gold, have they said anything more about the PC version of the game? Just wondering if stuff like the texture pop-in, additional graphical options etc have been corrected.
please, please, please.

LOD pop-in is pretty damn bad.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wow.

Kudos on the Mass Effect 3 tie-in, or else I would have never experienced this gem.

I was actually pissed when the demo ended, because I was so into the game, with all my loot, and getting into the quests.

Bravo, bravo.

Like I said in the other thread, this is how you market a game - went from not even knowing of its existence to I'd buy this easily.

Tendo

Wow.

Kudos on the Mass Effect 3 tie-in, or else I would have never experienced this gem.

I was actually pissed when the demo ended, because I was so into the game, with all my loot, and getting into the quests.

Bravo, bravo.

Like I said in the other thread, this is how you market a game - went from not even knowing of its existence to I'd buy this easily.

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY THIS.

"Oh yeah, I'll play this for some ME3 loot. Oh this is kind of cool." The moment the demo ended I preordered it. I don't know how I'll have time to play it but I wanted to support these guys. This game is going to be a blast.

Ooof, superbowl is a badddd idea I think. I know they're trying to grab that Skyrim audience, but that is a ve-hery costly experiment. And as much as I love how Reckoning is turning out, I just don't think it will have as positive of an effect as they're hoping.

Ooof, superbowl is a badddd idea I think. I know they're trying to grab that Skyrim audience, but that is a ve-hery costly experiment. And as much as I love how Reckoning is turning out, I just don't think it will have as positive of an effect as they're hoping.

Depends on how they play up the Curt Schilling angle.

Astra

Yeah, it is a risky investment, but it's about more than just Reckoning. They're probably trying to get exposure for the company, and the Amalur brand. It's all an investment for the MMO.

ReaperXL7

Hard to gauge really for lots of reasons I'm sure the spot was very expensive, but I'm also wondering if curt pulled any favors in the sports world to help him out as again I don't see ea pushing reckoning for superbowl. If they push the big names attached and show the game well I think this could be a very good move for them. Its looking like igns opinion is already pretty positive so far and I may not like them but they have the most eyes on them in the audience. It could hurt them alittle in the wallet but more exposure can't hurt the game at all.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man I want this game so bad already. I actually had a dream about it XD

Damn dude. That's bad. I usually only have dreams about games when I've been playing them for hours and hours.

Wallach

Damn dude. That's bad. I usually only have dreams about games when I've been playing them for hours and hours.

Whenever I have dreams about games they are like 100% random. A few nights ago I had a dream about Rygar. Fuck, I haven't played that game in at least a decade.

Top Bottom