• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

ZZMitch

Does putting points into dispel make the auto-clear chance improve from 10%?

Yeah, I have 90% chance on some (level 4).

I think I have 5 in lock picking as well though, I guess it is kind of useless now that I think about it... I have about 50 lockpicks at this point. Maybe I should respec and add those to something else.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It always cracks me up when I start a convo with an NPC who's bleeding. We chit chat as blood gushes out of the side of his neck.

Apeboy

If you don't at least say something along the lines of "that's pretty f'n cool" when you first get introduced to the big one-eyed boss Balfod in Mel Senshir then just turn in your gamer card. You are too jaded.

Ive got about 25 hours in since release on pure finesse, I am king of kiting mobs. Including those damn mages that spam protection and missile attacks.

Luthos

Question: I'm on normal, and I want to switch it to hard. It says it will block some achievements. I heard that there's an trophy for beating the game on hard. Is that the only one that will be blocked? If so, that's ok, I'll just start my second character on hard from the beginning.

But I hope it doesn't block any others.

ElyrionX

Oh, seriously FUCK enemy sorcerers in this game - I'm fighting those Belen's Testament guys and regularly coming up against groups of 2 sorcerers, 2 spearmen and 1 swordsman. You have to take out the sorcerers as quickly as possible, because while one shoots 3 fireballs in quick succession, the other shoots 3 mini-typhoons in quick succession - the end result being that I'm getting knocked out of all my damn combos near constantly because there's fucking fire and wind spells flying all over the place. To make matters worse, dodging will only get you past one of the fireballs, even with the blink teleport double dodge, while the sorcerers can jump WAY out of range at will.

Sure, I haven't come close to dying, but every single encounter against these guys has gone on way longer than it should have and has been an exercise in pure frustration. But hey, I'm sure there was a good reason to allow enemy sorcerers to spam their magic with no cooldown or regard for how much MP they should have, I just cant imagine what that reason is.

Agreed. It wouldn't be half as bad if those things don't have homing but the wind spells can turn a corner to hit you. It's utterly ridiculous.

I wasn't being sarcastic. It's a legitimate question. I've only put maybe 3 hours into the game and I'm looking forward to the cool boss fights. So far the biggest monster I have fought was a troll.

Apeboy

Agreed. It wouldn't be half as bad if those things don't have homing but the wind spells can turn a corner to hit you. It's utterly ridiculous.

The game reaches out and slaps you with stuff like this just to see if you've learned anything. Even on hard you are kind of on cruise control, especially in the open, until you come across something that requires more than flinging yourself at the mobs and mashing attack. Up to that point you haven't had to worry about it, or haven't had to worry about it for awhile. First few times I ran into a boss like the one with the cursed boots or the mages I thought wtf this is just stupid but finally came to the realization that the game isn't easy all the time. Learned to deal with crowds, even mages and sometimes that means running away.

gehrig38

So if we were at a life and death patch, and were to list, in order, priority, and PLEASE understand this is NO ONE but me asking, would it look like this?
1) Tie, Camera and game difficulty
2) UI

Again this is just me asking, and we're 5 days post launch, but that seems to me to be the brunt of conversation.

I'm finally feeling ok about the lore and story, because like the art style, for every single "can't see any depth, or feel it" there is a 'love the side quests, they are fun as hell' which means at some level the team got it right (though I believed they had already).

Art is getting the same response, in the same threads. One post is "blah bland ass wow" followed by some of the prettiest screenshots I've seen.

but at the end of the day, as I have stated before, with the exception of a few folks who seem to have run into glitches, the team turned out a 60+ hour game with no game breaking or game stopping bugs (while certainly NOT the bar you want, as I honestly believe in shooting for perfection) and given my life as a gamer there are WAY more games WITH crappy code and craptastically bugged software at launch than not.

Game launch should NEVER be a beta.

Fredescu

I'm playing on hard and I'm up to about level 12. While I do find a lot of it a bit too easy, I've died multiple times now, and I wonder how it's possible that people have avoided those deaths. I got killed by an orange Ettin War Priest who took 75% of my life in one hit. Are the people that "never come close to dying" really chugging potions every time they drop below full health? I'm pure sorcery, so I'm sure I'm a bit more fragile than other builds.

Hannar

So if we were at a life and death patch, and were to list, in order, priority, and PLEASE understand this is NO ONE but me asking, would it look like this?
2) UI

Again this is just me asking, and we're 5 days post launch, but that seems to me to be the brunt of conversation.

I'm finally feeling ok about the lore and story, because like the art style, for every single "can't see any depth, or feel it" there is a 'love the side quests, they are fun as hell' which means at some level the team got it right (though I believed they had already).

Art is getting the same response, in the same threads. One post is "blah bland ass wow" followed by some of the prettiest screenshots I've seen.

but at the end of the day, as I have stated before, with the exception of a few folks who seem to have run into glitches, the team turned out a 60+ hour game with no game breaking or game stopping bugs (while certainly NOT the bar you want, as I honestly believe in shooting for perfection) and given my life as a gamer there are WAY more games WITH crappy code and craptastically bugged software at launch than not.

I think that nails the list perfectly. I think folks want camera options, not necessarily wholesale change. I actually like the close up action where I can see what my guy looks like, all the animations, etc. I'm all for options, but I don't necessarily want to pull the FoV back a ton.

Flexibility in game difficulty and balancing would be great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
2) UI

Honestly, I don't really have many problems with the game at all. I think the camera is pretty subjective, and I personally like how it is, but more options is always nice. Being able to pull out farther would be pretty cool, although I don't know how much I personally would use it.

More difficulty options would also be cool, but I doubt it's as easy as simply giving enemies more HP/making them do more damage.

The only thing that I've noticed is consistently 'odd' is subtitle timing. If it could be fixed to match the audio more, that would be nice.

Luthos

2) UI

Sound bug on the PS3! There is a sound delay on the PS3 version. Often times sound from your actions will come a second after you do it. Noticed the most when you blink or something.

Apeboy

I'd say Game Balance to include Difficulty.

Gold is just too easy to come by you can pretty much buy your way to victory. Other examples are lock pick and repair kit availability, you can buy stacks of each for next to nothing which negates the repair money sink and nullifies the lock picking skill when you can sit there for thirty seconds forcing a lock with stacks of picks. Same applies to pots.

Camera and UI are a toss up to me. Both could be better but I'm used to both of them now, haven't had a camera kill in forever :).

AEREC

2) UI

For me:

game difficulty/balancing...I actually think the challenge is fine on hard so far (only level 10 or so), however the fact that potions are so easily obtainable and spammable just makes any obstacle in the game easy (if that makes sense). A cool down on potions would totally help this.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd say Game Balance to include Difficulty.

Gold is just too easy to come by you can pretty much buy your way to victory. Other examples are lock pick and repair kit availability, you can buy stacks of each for next to nothing which negates the repair money sink and nullifies the lock picking skill when you can sit there for thirty seconds forcing a lock with stacks of picks. Same applies to pots.

Camera and UI are a toss up to me. Both could be better but I'm used to both of them now, haven't had a camera kill in forever :).

Yeah I know you didn't list it Curt but re-balancing the game for people who do a lot or even everything would be great. It seems like every modern wrpg ignores these people and we spend half or more of the game as demigods who can't be hurt.

The actual game is pretty easy so far on Hard but I still haven't gotten very far so I can't comment on that, but from reading the thread it seems like it's way too easy to become filthy rich and insanely powerful. From my experience with open world wrpgs when you become too powerful it hurts the rest of the game because what's the point? You have some of the best gear, you probably hit max level and don't get any xp or level up-abilities anymore, you have too much money to make buying or selling worthwhile. The only reason to even keep playing is the story.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Correct me if I'm wrong, but respec only gives you the skill/ability points right? The HP/MP level ups from Destinies are not retroactive, correct? Meaning that if you spent all your days as a full Warrior and leveling up as one (high HP, low MP), you will get trouble if all of a sudden you're respeccing into a full mage, yeah, since since your MP is still low?

...Also, 32 hours in, level 17, and I STILL haven't got out yet from the Dalendarth. Damn it, is this normal? Hahahaha.

Currently level 27 and am done about 2 1/2 regions. I think there's 5 total. Did a ton of side quests and only like 3 or 4 main quests so far lol

Here's my stuff. Sadly I don't have the matching boots yet which is why they're gold color. I play with the helmet view off. This is the coolest looking armor i've seen so far!!!!!! Badasssss!

a1q0ana.jpg
a2soya8.jpg

a3x8yhc.jpg
a9bodywwxjs.jpg

And here are my items so far, DON'T CLICK THESE IF YOU'RE NOT TOO FAR INTO THE GAME because imo finding loot is a huge part of it and getting spoiled on future loot really sucks so don't click unless you're at least halfway through:

Sword: http://www.abload.de/img/a4swordsqa81.jpg
Armor: http://www.abload.de/img/a5armorigzlp.jpg
Helm: http://www.abload.de/img/a6helm8lx4h.jpg
Gloves: http://www.abload.de/img/a7glovesa1xzk.jpg
Leggings: http://www.abload.de/img/a8legsv0ypx.jpg

2) UI

For me:

1 - Camera needs to pull back a bit
2 - ability to remap controls (centering the camera would be much easier on L1)
3 - allow me to easily active and deactivate sustained abilities without having to map them to the ability buttons
4 - allow me to drop quests I took but decided not to do.
5 - group quests by locale, or at least notate that in the quest description

gehrig38

One more thing, and it's amazing how things can get missed. I didn't realize until a few hours in on the PC build, with m/kb, I could just right click 'add to junk'.............
GRRRRR

I've had no issues with the camera while using the 360 gamepad (PC version), don't know what people are talking about. The couple of times I tried the mouse it was super janky and way too sensitive, tho.

The difficulty is what needs to be addressed first, imo. I purposely specced out of my Mage because of how insanely OP she was. Casting a single Tempest or Meteor would clear the area, save for the bigger monsters like trolls and stuff but it still took half their life then I just attacked a few times with godly chakrams and killed em. It wasn't fun at all killing everything in seconds.

With that said, the game was definitely harder from like levels 10ish to the late teens I think (just estimating). I got owned many times, but then when you max out blacksmithing and sagecrafting and create this epic gear you become like indestructible while dealing massive dmg. So I'm thinking neuter the blacksmithing and sagecrafting, mainly blacksmithing.

Xevren

I'm playing on hard and I'm up to about level 12. While I do find a lot of it a bit too easy, I've died multiple times now, and I wonder how it's possible that people have avoided those deaths. I got killed by an orange Ettin War Priest who took 75% of my life in one hit. Are the people that "never come close to dying" really chugging potions every time they drop below full health? I'm pure sorcery, so I'm sure I'm a bit more fragile than other builds.

I got one shot a few times, playing the same thing as you and on the same difficulty. I'm level 17 now, upgraded my gear big time and now I have really nice damage resistances as well as higher hp and it's not that much of a problem anymore.

Aselith

I've had no issues with the camera while using the 360 gamepad (PC version), don't know what people are talking about. The couple of times I tried the mouse it was super janky and way too sensitive.

The difficulty is what needs to be addressed first, imo. I purposely specced out of my Mage because of how insanely OP she was. Casting a single Tempest or Meteor would clear the area, save for the bigger monsters like trolls and stuff but it still took half their life then I just attacked a few times with godly chakrams and killed em.
I had a point where I was fighting some guys and the camera went under the floor and I was looking at brown ground texture while fighting on the same.

I had a point where I was fighting some guys and the camera went under the floor and I was looking at brown ground texture while fighting on the same.

This happened to me today as well, for the first time. So like 40 hours of playing do these isolated incidents matter?

1stStrike

Banned
Just finished the House of Ballad quest line and... damn. I see why it gets so much praise. For a sidequest, that whole line is epic. I also really love the stones placed around each area that tell a bit of the back story of it. It really helps to flesh out the world and the voice overs are really well done.

The final boss in the House of Ballad's quest line was pretty tough. I'm playing on hard and it took me 6 or 7 tries to get it. I've come to rely pretty heavily on mark of flame. I maxed it out, and it does some pretty insane damage, plus it stuns enemies when you detonate it.

I'm going to try staff/chakrams for a while. I like the daggers, but I've been neglecting staffs the whole game, so time to give them a shot.

vaelic

Banned
2) UI

1. Pull the camera back
2. Difficulty
3. UI
4. FOV adjustments

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Do any vendors sell sylvanite armor in the game? I came across a guy who's daughter I saved and he had a helmet but that was it. Im level 15 and have done alot of sidequests and only 2 main storyline missions. I hope I don't have to forge them because I don't understand the forge system though truthfully I haven't dedicated any time to understanding it.

Arcteryx

18hrs just hit lvl 15 - just starting the Didenhil series of quests (already did Etinmere stuff).......holy **** TONs of sidequests.

I'm in lootwhore heaven just running around shooting **** with my bow.

Do any vendors sell sylvanite armor in the game? I came across a guy who's daughter I saved and he had a helmet but that was it. Im level 15 and have done alot of sidequests and only 2 main storyline missions. I hope I don't have to forge them because I don't understand the forge system though truthfully I haven't dedicated any time to understanding it.

Yeah you'll find a ton of sylvanite items both at vendors and from drops/chests

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't really have a problem with the camera placement or the way it behaves, but in third-person games like this one, I'm constantly (and subconsciously) fiddling with the right analog while running around to get the positioning just right. The problem that presents for me in this game is that sprint is mapped to B (on 360), and since my right thumb can't be in two places at once, I almost never end up sprinting unless I'm moving in a straight line (and don't need to be fiddling with the camera). Maybe others don't have a problem with this, but my suggestion would be to allow control remapping — if I had the option, I'd swap the sprint and radial buttons. That way I could permanently sprint (I'm thankful for that ability in a game like this) without sacrificing camera control. That's just my ideal solution.

In other news, I got the solstice chakrams and am now obliterating everything in my path.

Allonym

Yeah you'll find a ton of sylvanite items both at vendors and from drops/chests

Do you know which ones specifically? Or at least their region? I would greatly appreciate it. Oh and what about Presimere Armor, longsword and greatsword

Allonym

The game would greatly benefit from a lock-on button and generally the game is easy but damn when enemies knock you off your feet and others chain attacks into those and you can't block. Damn makes me wanna smash some shit when that happens and I die subsequently

Do you know which ones specifically? Or at least their region? I would greatly appreciate it. Oh and what about Presimere Armor, longsword and greatsword

Well I don't remember getting Sylvanite in Dalentarth but I got a ton in Plains and Detyre regions, of both armor and weaps. Prismere in
Rathir, huge city at top right of Plains. That has the best stuff so far. Prismere is the next tier after Sylvanite btw

Allonym

Well I don't remember getting Sylvanite in Dalentarth but I got a ton in Plains and Detyre regions, of both armor and weaps. Prismere in
Rathir, huge city at top right of Plains. That has the best stuff so far. Prismere is the next tier after Sylvanite btw

Thanks a ton I'll check it out when I get on later. *Squeals* Can't wait to play studying for this test be damned!

CRIP4LIFE

Neo Member
The problem that presents for me in this game is that sprint is mapped to B (on 360), and since my right thumb can't be in two places at once, I almost never end up sprinting unless I'm moving in a straight line

maybe this is not your ideal solution, but:

1) go to options (i believe it's gameplay)
2) turn sprint from "hold" to "toggle"
3) now you can sprint and obsess with you camera like i do

2) UI

The Camera and art is fine IMO. Sure, the inside of houses is rather bland but I'm cool with the rest. The number 1 priority is Game balance IMO.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
maybe this is not your ideal solution, but:

1) go to options (i believe it's gameplay)
2) turn sprint from "hold" to "toggle"
3) now you can sprint and obsess with you camera like i do
Ah, damn, good point. I set the options early on before playing very much and then completely forgot about that one until you just mentioned it. Thanks!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hit that point that I hit with every open world RPG. I don't hit it with RPGs, and I don't hit it with open world games, but I do when they come together. I always get at about 30 hours in and suddenly my brain's just like 'alright, i've played enough'. I put it away(Skyrim, Fallout, etc) saying I'll play it later. I never do. I never, ever finish the main quests.

It was a good run!

Top Bottom