• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

moop1167

Oh any by the way... not sure if this was taken out after the demo build but... if you push '3' you can automatically put items into junk and when you are at a shopkeeper it will automatically put you into shop mode. Weird because in the demo there was a prompt for it but in the full game it isn't there. There is nothing about it in the keybinds either.

Hawk269

So if we were at a life and death patch, and were to list, in order, priority, and PLEASE understand this is NO ONE but me asking, would it look like this?
1) Tie, Camera and game difficulty
2) UI

Again this is just me asking, and we're 5 days post launch, but that seems to me to be the brunt of conversation.

I'm finally feeling ok about the lore and story, because like the art style, for every single "can't see any depth, or feel it" there is a 'love the side quests, they are fun as hell' which means at some level the team got it right (though I believed they had already).

Art is getting the same response, in the same threads. One post is "blah bland ass wow" followed by some of the prettiest screenshots I've seen.

but at the end of the day, as I have stated before, with the exception of a few folks who seem to have run into glitches, the team turned out a 60+ hour game with no game breaking or game stopping bugs (while certainly NOT the bar you want, as I honestly believe in shooting for perfection) and given my life as a gamer there are WAY more games WITH crappy code and craptastically bugged software at launch than not.

Game launch should NEVER be a beta.

Nailed it. Easily, #1 as you listed is probably at the top of the majority of peoples list. Yes, difficulty is an issue, but at the same time game balancing is part of this.

For me the UI has not been that big of an issue, unlike the camera and difficulty/balance, but even the camera I have gotten use to it a bit.

gehrig38

Just past lvl 10, entering Coilsbain for my first whack a mole vs the Jottun, who's history, and future, is compelling:)
I am having a blast, chasing Alyn Shir around too.
Pure sorcery build btw.
P.S. Just got my first gold piece, Lyra's robes btw.

Grinchy

Banned
Just past lvl 10, entering Coilsbain for my first whack a mole vs the Jottun, who's history, and future, is compelling:)
I am having a blast, chasing Alyn Shir around too.
Pure sorcery build btw.
P.S. Just got my first gold piece, Lyra's robes btw.

Yeah, pure sorcery has been awesome for me so far. I'm really glad I stuck with the one tree for this play through.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You should get in the world series then we'll answer you

:(

But seriously guys, I cannot check right now, but the re-spec option does not retroactively affect the HP/MP level ups right? So full warrior respeccing into full mage doesn't magically transform his high HP/Low MP into Low HP/High MP setup, yeah?

Wallach

So if we were at a life and death patch, and were to list, in order, priority, and PLEASE understand this is NO ONE but me asking, would it look like this?
2) UI

Again this is just me asking, and we're 5 days post launch, but that seems to me to be the brunt of conversation.

The camera needs adjusting, badly. Even if some people are okay with it, the majority of people have issues ranging from minor to severe, which indicates a pretty serious problem. I've worked in this industry for near a decade and to be honest I'm not entirely clear how it got through so much playtesting since I know this was in the oven for a pretty long time.

As far as difficulty is concerned, I think that needs to be expanded upon because there's some specific aspects that need corrected before you get into general game balance changes. Mainly, potions. You shouldn't be able to chain quaff health potions; you have an in-game cooldown on almost every kind of potion except the one that has the largest impact on difficulty, which I don't understand. This is something that you probably need to address across all current difficulties - just changing this for a future Nightmare mode doesn't really do much. All difficulties are affected by this and it has a lot of negative effects (nullifying the value of blocking, dodging, the Sorcery heal, etc). If the game had launched with a cooldown on health potions, I do not think you would have heard 90% of the difficulty complaints, but rather would have seen a lot of more specific feedback that would have helped you isolate things much faster. As it stands this needs to be cleared away before you get a solid data set as to what kind of balance issues really lie underneath this problem.

Moving beyond that, quite frankly I would not change any other aspect of the game balance in any of the current difficulty settings. The economy issues people talk about are kind of overblown; the cost of gear ramps up incredibly as you progress farther (I'm starting to come across 1,000,000 plus blue gear at vendors), and I don't think people are seeing that just yet. Wait for more feedback on that I would say, especially considering the truth of it is that you can't really empower a character that much through vendor purchases. I'm not sure Blacksmithing/Sagecrafting are actually too powerful either, but I would say at the least that the early game gear you can craft could be toned down slightly. Personally, I would also consider changing Lockpicking so that you cannot pick "Hard" class chests until Advanced rank, and "Very Hard" without Master rank unless Prismere picks are consumed. Unlike Dispelling which has multiple opportunities for dialogue options, Lockpicking has no real benefit to skill point investment with how easy lockpicks are to acquire.

I would definitely rank Ability balance adjustments above Skill balance adjustments as things stand. We can definitely see some nasty outliers like Meteor, which even on Hard decimates if not outright kills pretty much everything. Tying this into UI issues, we really need a control scheme that adds a second set of 4 hotkeys. The potion radial can be moved to the free space on the d-pad, block can be moved to LB and we now have LT free to use for this. Aside from the camera this is currently by far my biggest functionality issue with the game. It would be a significant playability improvement. Also personally I would very much appreciate the ability to swap the stealth to LS and move sprint to RB, because even Rogues are likely to activate sprint more than they do stealth. That's ignoring the fact that other games (cough Skyrim) already make this a familiar control mechanism.

Derrick01

Banned
Whew it's a good thing I didn't level up sagecraft 10 minutes ago, I just found a skillbook for it. I only needed 1 point to get a new "ability" in it to unlock so another one would have just given me an empty space with the minimal upgrade.

Feels good when that stuff happens in rpgs.

:(

But seriously guys, I cannot check right now, but the re-spec option does not retroactively affect the HP/MP level ups right? So full warrior respeccing into full mage doesn't magically transform his high HP/Low MP into Low HP/High MP setup, yeah?

HP and MP are a combo of gear + player level + abilities. Your base MP+HP based solely on your player level will not change by respeccing.

Dresden

Potions actually have a cooldown if you use them in the radial menu (L2 on consoles). Don't know why the hotkeys allow for chain-quaffing.

Wallach

Potions actually have a cooldown if you use them in the radial menu (L2 on consoles). Don't know why the hotkeys allow for chain-quaffing.

Health potions do? I've never even tried to put them on the radial because the hotkeys are assigned by default. It wouldn't surprise me if this is an oversight though because I can't think of any reason they can be chain quaffed.

Dresden

Health potions do? I've never even tried to put them on the radial because the hotkeys are assigned by default. It wouldn't surprise me if this is an oversight though because I can't think of any reason they can be chain quaffed.

Yeah, health potions do. It's not a long cooldown, but it does prevent spamming them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
HP and MP are a combo of gear + player level + abilities. Your base MP+HP based solely on your player level will not change by respeccing.

So that means if I, say, I am a full mage with all my points in Sorcery skills, and my HP/MP right now is when not wearing equipment is, say, like, 100/300... then when I respec to a full warrior with only on might skills, that HP/MP will switch around to 300/100? Huh.

Also, I personally think potion cooldown is rather unnecessary... I think instead of cooldown, I'd prefer if they just limit the amount of potions a character can carry. Say, only 5 or so healing potions and such.

Also one of my biggest gripes of combat is the inability to immediately dodge/roll around if my hero is in the middle of attack animation, like Bayonetta... well, the last animation of a combo, anyways. Got a few good smack in due to my hero standing still and unable to cancel when finishing his chakram combo moves.

Wallach

Also one of my biggest gripes of combat is the inability to immediately dodge/roll around if my hero is in the middle of attack animation, like Bayonetta... well, the last animation of a combo, anyways. Got a few good smack in due to my hero standing still and unable to cancel when finishing his chakram combo moves.

You can cancel combo finishers with abilities even though you can't with rolls. This is one of the ways, for example, Might-based characters create longer combo chains; you can cancel a finisher into Harpoon, which allows you to reset into a new chain/juggle (which you can again cancel into an ability, etc).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Maybe this should be obvious to me, but sometimes when I level up, the next point of certain skills are highlighted in bright green. It's not always this way — it seems to change every time I hit a new level. What does this mean?

Wallach

Maybe this should be obvious to me, but sometimes when I level up, the next point of certain skills are highlighted in bright green. It's not always this way — it seems to change every time I hit a new level. What does this mean?

Skills highlighted in bright green means they are being granted by temporary bonuses. Usually potions.

Derrick01

Banned
You can sell a skill book after looking at it right? The bonus will stay forever?

Just checking before I make a potentially costly mistake.

ReaperXL7

Lol man some of you guys are blowing me away, I'm almost 40 hours into the game and I have not even gotten out of Dalentarth yet. Think I'm getting close but still so much to do. Looking forward to my second playthrough as battlemage, but I absolutely love the might/finesse hybrid style, I just picked up lunge and I'm wishing I had gotten it sooner makes combat even more fun then it has been.

I disagree that any changes should be made to the normal or easy difficulty settings do what you like with hard and nightmare modes, but I suspect that the people still playing on normal and easy at this point are probably fine withwhats there and changing their experience mid stream would piss a lot of people off. Leave those modes alone.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Skills highlighted in bright green means they are being granted by temporary bonuses. Usually potions.
Ah, okay, thanks. I thought it was trying to tell me something more important than that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You can cancel combo finishers with abilities even though you can't with rolls. This is one of the ways, for example, Might-based characters create longer combo chains; you can cancel a finisher into Harpoon, which allows you to reset into a new chain/juggle (which you can again cancel into an ability, etc).

What? How can I not realize this after 32 hours playing? hahahah.

Is there any way to reduce/eliminate stagger entirely? The charge attacks are not really dependable due to how easy enemies seem able to stagger/stun my hero out of stance. This is also the problem when getting hit by multiple successive magic attacks like those sent by the Threshes.

Also, is it safe to sell books and such after you read them? And stuff like Skulls, Tattered Letter, etc etc?

Lol man some of you guys are blowing me away, I'm almost 40 hours into the game and I have not even gotten out of Dalentarth yet. Think I'm getting close but still so much to do. Looking forward to my second playthrough as battlemage, but I absolutely love the might/finesse hybrid style, I just picked up lunge and I'm wishing I had gotten it sooner makes combat even more fun then it has been.

What level are you? I'm level 17, 32 hours in, and still wandering inside Dalenderth. Does the main quest eventually makes your character go through to all the regions?

Is there any way to reduce/eliminate stagger entirely? The charge attacks are not really dependable due to how easy enemies seem able to stagger/stun my hero out of stance. This is also the problem when getting hit by multiple successive magic attacks like those sent by the Threshes.

Also, is it safe to sell books and such after you read them? And stuff like Skulls, Tattered Letter, etc etc?

Depends on your class. Might has a talent that makes you immune to interruption for upwards of 20 seconds.

Wallach

There is an ability in Might called Relentless Assault - it's a short-duration buff (20-28 seconds at max or overmax) that prevents you from being interrupted, though it does not prevent damage.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Depends on your class. Might has a talent that makes you immune to interruption for upwards of 20 seconds.

There is an ability in Might called Relentless Assault - it's a short-duration buff (20-28 seconds at max or overmax) that prevents you from being interrupted, though it does not prevent damage.

Not gonna get it then, since I'm not touching Might at all.

I am a bit worried about the fact that I am already level 17 and 32 hours in and still in one region exclusively. I am afraid that by the time I get to another region I lost all the drive to explore and such since I am already way too high-leveled already.

"Just go to the other area right now then!" some of you might say, but then again the just-have-to-finish-every-single-quest-first OCD always kicks in >_>

Trigunner

2) UI

There are two things I find annoying.

1. Not being able to disable subs during dialogue scenes (I also wish the exchanges were in full screen)
2. Music doesn't loop.

scy

...I just picked up lunge and I'm wishing I had gotten it sooner makes combat even more fun then it has been.

At least someone else appreciates Lunge :x It really opens up combos due to how much extension you can get with it. That and it's a good "oh shit!" ability to let you evade out of anything.

I am a bit worried about the fact that I am already level 17 and 32 hours in and still in one region exclusively. I am afraid that by the time I get to another region I lost all the drive to explore and such since I am already way too high-leveled already.

"Just go to the other area right now then!" some of you might say, but then again the just-have-to-finish-every-single-quest-first OCD always kicks in >_>

I'd suggest doing
Detyre
first for the next set of regions; it's overall shorter, tighter quest structure, and I think it has a lower level cap anyway. Overworld may get to grey con for you in some areas on the way to the end of the game but this should keep all dungeons to at least be your level.

Rokam

For those wanting a challenge, House of Valor provides plenty. Fuck that no using magic/abilities challenge. Also question for that completed the challenges and story for the House of Valor
was there not a final reward for the challenge board, and is there no follow up after you get the house there, pretty sure the NPC told me to talk to the guy who had been giving me items but I couldn't find him?

ReaperXL7

What level are you? I'm level 17, 32 hours in, and still wandering inside Dalenderth. Does the main quest eventually makes your character go through to all the regions?

I'm half way to 19 right now, just getting so wrapped up in the world,lore and loot hunting that I have not been in much of a rush. The quests do start leading out further though my next warsworn quest, and travlers quest will both take my to the plains. I'm surprised I have not gotten the bookworm trophy yet. I also found some boots for what looks like an awesome set, seems like it could be a hand placed set because of where I got the boots but I can't seem to find any other pieces. I just realised thatif the other regions take me this long ill have around 240 hours in the game not counting dlc stuff coming eventually.

eshwaaz

Just for the record, I'm playing on Normal and I'm totally fine with the difficulty. No, it's not particularly challenging, but I'm playing this type of game for the adventure, the journey, and exploration of a compelling world. White-knuckle challenge and dying repeatedly is not what I'm looking for here, but it appears I'm in the minority.

scy

Forgot to add, about halfway done with Dalentarth on my Might/Finesse run with no potion use. Life before any Health regen is goddamn awful. Get to boss with 20 HP? Toughen up!

For those wanting a challenge, House of Valor provides plenty. Fuck that no using magic/abilities challenge. Also question for that completed the challenges and story for the House of Valor
was there not a final reward for the challenge board, and is there no follow up after you get the house there, pretty sure the NPC told me to talk to the guy who had been giving me items but I couldn't find him?

He's located
up the ramp. He serves to give you money that the Arena earns

The quests do start leading out further though my next warsworn quest, and travlers quest will both take my to the plains. I'm surprised I have not gotten the bookworm trophy yet. I also found some boots for what looks like an awesome set, seems like it could be a hand placed set because of where I got the boots but I can't seem to find any other pieces. I just realised thatif the other regions take me this long ill have around 240 hours in the game not counting dlc stuff coming eventually.

Are the boots
Dirge's?
If so, they're definitely hand placed. I think all the pieces of the set are, though I never did find them all on my first playthrough.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've just been going to zones based on the Lorestones list. I'm 27 and in the Twylii coast now. Haven't touched any non-green parts of the map

bodine1231

Not gonna get it then, since I'm not touching Might at all.

The other areas don't have near the amount of things to do as the first section. I've gone through the next three parts nearly as fast as the first (forest).

Wallach

I've just been going to zones based on the Lorestones list. I'm 27 and in the Twylii coast now. Haven't touched any non-green parts of the map

Me either. I'm in the same area as you, but I spent like four hours exploring Rathir.

Has anyone found pieces of a Sorcery set that were static (i.e. hand-placed like Dirge boots) in the environment? I've come across Finesse and Might but not Sorcery.

Rokam

He's located
up the ramp. He serves to give you money that the Arena earns

Thank you very much. Nearing level cap, hopefully will hit it tonight before I head over to the other side of the map. Having to go back and scower the plains for a task I didn't complete.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'd suggest doing
Detyre
first for the next set of regions; it's overall shorter, tighter quest structure, and I think it has a lower level cap anyway. Overworld may get to grey con for you in some areas on the way to the end of the game but this should keep all dungeons to at least be your level.

Hmm. Does the main quest will makes you travel all the regions? I think I'm gonna continue doing my Warsworn quest now... the next destination takes me to a new region. I have just finished wrapping up the House of Ballads.

There's something that has been annoying me, however. Does the battle text ever get stuck on the screen on your game, guys? Like when I'm battling humanoid enemies, and then they yell something like "It's time to die" or something like that... and the game displays it at the screen. It's all fine and dandy but the "It's time to die" text always persists only the screen even when the battle is long finished. The only way to get rid of it is to save/load or enters new place/territory. Not by a long stretch gamebreaking or anything... just bloody annoying every once in a while.

Just for the record, I'm playing on Normal and I'm totally fine with the difficulty. No, it's not particularly challenging, but I'm playing this type of game for the adventure, the journey, and exploration of a compelling world. White-knuckle challenge and dying repeatedly is not what I'm looking for here, but it appears I'm in the minority.

Nah, I'm with you. I actually find the Normal difficulty is well-tuned so far.

scy

Me either. I'm in the same area as you, but I spent like four hours exploring Rathir.

Has anyone found pieces of a Sorcery set that were static (i.e. hand-placed like Dirge boots) in the environment? I've come across Finesse and Might but not Sorcery.

Hm ... I think so? I'm pretty sure the
Dark Empyrean set
is all hand placed and not random drops but I can't remember where I got every piece. Honestly, Sorcery was my most common Set pieces on my Finesse/Sorcery run so it all kinds of run together :|

Hmm. Does the main quest will makes you travel all the regions? I think I'm gonna continue doing my Warsworn quest now... the next destination takes me to a new region. I have just finished wrapping up the House of Ballads.

There's something that has been annoying me, however. Does the battle text ever get stuck on the screen on your game, guys? Like when I'm battling humanoid enemies, and then they yell something like "It's time to die" or something like that... and the game displays it at the screen. It's all fine and dandy but the "It's time to die" text always persists only the screen even when the battle is long finished. The only way to get rid of it is to save/load or enters new place/territory. Not by a long stretch gamebreaking or anything... just bloody annoying every once in a while.

Maybe not each and every individual area but you do go to every region and a good handful of areas within them all. You're basically told to do them whichever way you want and the faction quests point one way so it seems logical but the other is shorter so you'll probably end up with less grey con areas when you're done. It's nothing major, just a general suggestion. Hell, I'm not even sure it'll actually work out all that well on keeping things your level.

As for the text, I have it occasionally. I don't really remember it recently, though, so I guess I stopped doing ... whatever it was that caused it.

Wallach

Hm ... I think so? I'm pretty sure the
Dark Empyrean set
is all hand placed and not random drops but I can't remember where I got every piece. Honestly, Sorcery was my most common Set pieces on my Finesse/Sorcery run so it all kinds of run together :|

Well, that one comes from a faction chain. I'm more talking about non-quest related sets, the ones that are typically more powerful but harder to find.

timkunedo

What an amazing game. I'm a mage with Chakram support. Combat is so much fun. I love the atmosphere this game exudes. It's like Fable x1000.

This is easily the best game I've played in a few years.

Hawk269

Like some others have stated, the difficulty issue is not just giving enemies more HP. It is more about the game balance. For a game as big as this, with as many sidequests that ar eto be done if you choose, your reward for doing all these sidequests is a game that becomes more and more a cake-walk as you progress.

I love the game, it is one the best games I have played in a long time. Alot of great ideas, some taken from other games..but when things seem to be so good, other things appear that they did not intend to be so. For example, getting this awesome weopons that do massive damage, yet the level requirements are so low to equip these items.

The crux of the issue is that if you:

1. Do all the side quests
2. Explore everywhere in each zone

You end up breaking the game and everything is a cake walk because you have outleveled the content/enemies, you have out-geared the enemies in the zone and you end up playing in God mode.

The fix, out of many are to me not that hard to understand. For starters, leveling up should take longer and less xp should be handed out. Loot should be more in-line with the area you are in and health/regen potions need to be nerfed.

For an outsider looking in, having a understaning of how the sub-systems of enemies scalling would be a good thing to know about. I posted a dozen pages back that I decided to run from the starting area to the farthest area on the world map that I can go, which is the city with the giant console looking thing and I was able to d this with my level 5 character with the Mass Effect Armor and I did not die at all. I stopped everyonce in a while to fight enemies and did not have an issue at all.

In the end, difficulty is just one aspect of the challenge issue. Simply giving enemies more HP is not the answer because it would still be easy, just take longer. There are alot of things that would need to be adjusted and I hope they do...and not to be too negative, I pretty much have stopped playing the game because I am a completionist, I love doing every quest I find, I love finding every chest I find, I love looking for stuff revealed by the hidden detect, but doing this has caused me to be overpowered and makes the game no fun since there is no challenge in the enounters. While I statisfy my need of finding everything, doing so makes the game not challenging and for this type of game you cant punish players that do all this exploring and at the same time make the game too easy for them because they chose to do alot of exploring.

Cheska

This game just continues to be a nice surprise! Yesterday, I got so caught up in the quests that I completely lost track of time and next thing I knew almost ten hours had gone by heh. Anyways, while I'm liking the gameplay and general idea of that game, the story hasn't drawn me in. Granted, Im still fairly early on and have mainly been doing the side quests, but do things get more interesting?

Also, can you join all the factions in one playthrough?

bodine1231

This game just continues to be a nice surprise! Yesterday, I got so caught up in the quests that I completely lost track of time and next thing I knew almost ten hours had gone by heh. Anyways, while I'm liking the gameplay and general idea of that game, the story hasn't drawn me in. Granted, Im still fairly early on and have mainly been doing the side quests, but do things get more interesting?

Also, can you join all the factions in one playthrough?

Yes,you can do every faction quest.

ReaperXL7

Are the boots
Dirge's?
If so, they're definitely hand placed. I think all the pieces of the set are, though I never did find them all on my first playthrough.

Yep that's them, they actually seem like a Set that could be worth something , one of the highest tree requirements I've seen so far. I,d really like to find the legs hoping the guide will have locations for hand placed stuff and information on the best places to farm for specific sets its killing my ocd having incomplete sets, even if they are useless for my avatar.

DanielJr82

I don't know what Adam Sessler is smoking, but this game is most definitely NOT a 2.5/5. I'm about 12 hours in and I'm loving all the sidequests, loot, armors, beautiful open world, the world tune is still haunting my mind as I write this... it's just more addictive than I thought it was going to be! My fully Might Almain is a total badass.

I've only done a few main quests, so it's been mostly sidequests. Some are throwaway (like the remains of the silkfarmers in Webwood) but some are pretty awesome (same area, the Widow sidequest is pretty interesting). I fully intend on getting the rest of the Stern armor from the Warsworn before I out level it, lol. It seems every time I go do a main quest or major sidequest I always get distracting into another one.

This is going to sound silly, but I can't wait to have an armor set with a cape. Capes are awesome, more RPGs should have knights with capes, lol. :p

Rad Agast

Agreed. It wouldn't be half as bad if those things don't have homing but the wind spells can turn a corner to hit you. It's utterly ridiculous.

Just delay your evade move. I don't try to block much as a sorcerer so I blink pretty much every attack. A good way to deal with multiple mages is to blink -> mark of flame -> blink -> mark of flame -> blink -> detonate which usually staggers the enemies and that opens them up for more combos. You can throw a storm bolt when it's ready to stun grouped mobs while you take care of the ones who cause you most trouble.

I remember reading some complaints about Threshes too. As a chakram user, you can time your evades for their root attacks. 2 hits -> evade -> 2 hits -> evade and repeat.

Finished the House of Ballads quests yesterday, that was a much easier fight than I thought (was at level 14/15 on Hard). Just concentrated all my attacks on the boss and it went down quite quickly before giving it a chance to spawn more mobs.

I'm using dual Chakrams at the moment, one for the damage and other for the +1 to Sorcery stat and found boots with +1 Sorcery too so I'm a happy mage ;-p

A question to Blacksmiths in this thread, is it possible to salvage the +1 to Sorcery property from items? I haven't experimented too much with Sagecraft so not sure if I can create that in a gem (probably I could).

Yep that's them, they actually seem like a Set that could be worth something , one of the highest tree requirements I've seen so far. I,d really like to find the legs hoping the guide will have locations for hand placed stuff and information on the best places to farm for specific sets its killing my ocd having incomplete sets, even if they are useless for my avatar.

Do the set items get better later on, like really later on? Because every one I've come across so far (quite a few) are mostly vendor-trash, and that's including full set bonus stats. My custom mastercrafted/gemmed gear blows them away.

Top Bottom