• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

shaowebb

Been dumping everything into Blacksmithing and it has been WELL WORTH IT. I went from a mediocre bow, to making 24 damage 12 piercing "Aim of Hawkeye", to making this as soon as I could socket at the forge.

Behold Vajra. A bow way too good for level 12.
80BAC3873CACA5CDBBE9C466A9CB0419ADFEFB25

Fire and lightning. I got some gloves that add poison too. Shit is awesome.

Also

A152EEB02FC5B6A22AA1CD7F04590AC746E2B47A

PS...Bit of a problem.

847749781553F628AB6FF43EACD8ABCA0F78766B

Dont stand under a doorway and then lower it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ran into an annoying bug with one of these Traveler's quests (Spring Grim Onwig):

Made it into the gnomish dungeon where's he's being held and he asks me to spring him from his cell. I pick the lock, but he refuses to acknowledge that the door is open.

Oh well, luckily there's multiple ways to complete this quest.

I thought it was a forum rule that you couldn't talk about fight club.

Can't say for certain as I'm not a moderator, but it seems to be pretty case-by-case in my experience here. As long as you don't go linking the location of the crack and posting the how-to steps, I doubt it's a problem.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The problem isn't with the difficulty levels, it is how easy you can get overleveled in comparison to the content. When I got to the desert/badlands environment everything was grey-con.

Damn this game. Go to start a faction story line and I see a lorestone on my map. I go to it and what do you know there's another one not too far away. An hour later I'm still hunting the things down.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The problem isn't with the difficulty levels, it is how easy you can get overleveled in comparison to the content. When I got to the desert/badlands environment everything was grey-con.

However, making everything in the game level with you would be even more lame, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, finally finished all the non-task quests in Dalentarth! Off to the Plains of Erathell next, I suppose. Level 18 and about 21 hours in so far.

edit: Made it to the Plains of Erathell. Wow, it sure is weird to be under this open blue sky after 20+ hours of canopied forest. What a cool visual change. I really love the aesthetics of this game.

Dresden

I think that's a side effect of being a completionist.

Slow down leveling and you affect people like me who aren't compelled to seek out every miscellaneous task in the area before moving on.

Ok, I forgot which one of you told me about sagecrafting but I love you! Epic gems FTW.

I'm able to make an epic gem that gives +1 to all first 4 tiers of unlocked skills :D (Pristine Protection + Magic), lifesteal gems that give 15% chance to steal 20 hp per hit (with daggers, they're deadly), 75% chance to stun, burn, or freeze enemies that hit me and more! My only issue right now is trying to find better parts to make nicer stuff :)

I'm level 24 right now going Universalist with daggers and chakram and am having a blast. Thanks again to those who suggest Relentless Assault, such a great move.

scy

Keeping back-up saves this time but got my Might/Finesse character roughly where I was before my screw up. Hooray! Bows are ridiculous as well; went Greatsword first last time and it was a lot harder on the whole no potion thing.

And since I mentioned it before, some of the end-game Purple loot:
Greatsword: http://i.imgur.com/x07da.jpg
Hammer: http://i.imgur.com/IzYwe.jpg
Chest: http://i.imgur.com/qQooq.jpg
Gloves: http://i.imgur.com/2RAx5.jpg

I think there's still better since I have a Longsword with a higher level requirement (with ... no bonuses, though it's got comparable base damage to that Greatsword so it's probably just +Physical/+Piercing). The bigger thing for Uniques is that they have a 10-20% better base damage than their Blacksmithing counterparts (Hammer is
~200 base damage
and Greatsword is
~140/~30 base damage
). Essentially, Unique loot is equivalent to one item type up in quality.

Chest and Gloves are more specific to the build (Finesse/Sorcery with Elemental Rage); I still prefer the +32% Crit Damage Chest I have (which is a set piece, oddly) but worth adding.

Can anyone tell me where to find a prismere kite shield?

I'm decked out prismere from top to bottom except for my shield. Thanks.

Off-hand, I think the
final dungeon
has every Prismere equipment just lying around. I'm not entirely sure on any specifics, though. Maybe try vendors?

I think that's a side effect of being a completionist.

Slow down leveling and you affect people like me who aren't compelled to seek out every miscellaneous task in the area before moving on.

Should at least up the level cap for some zones (especially Plains/Detyre since you can do them in either order). Since area levels are about when you first enter them, this more-or-less scales things better based off the amount of stuff you're doing and still keeps the ability for them to be outleveled as you progress.

Kind of sucks that experiencing all the content means you'll grey out areas :( Even some dungeons will suffer this fate.

Log4Girlz

I respecced blacksmithing/detect hidden. Before doing so I made sure to craft up all my gems (got a few good epics). Respeccing is so cheap...couldn't I just respec everytime I need more gems?

Wallach

Keeping back-up saves this time but got my Might/Finesse character roughly where I was before my screw up. Hooray! Bows are ridiculous as well; went Greatsword first last time and it was a lot harder on the whole no potion thing.

And since I mentioned it before, some of the end-game Purple loot:
Greatsword: http://i.imgur.com/x07da.jpg
Hammer: http://i.imgur.com/IzYwe.jpg
Chest: http://i.imgur.com/qQooq.jpg
Gloves: http://i.imgur.com/2RAx5.jpg

Hey, did you get that sword from the
House of Valor
line? I have that but it's worse than yours; I guess this implies there is loot scaling in the game. That would be really unfortunate.

Edit - Yeah, take a look: http://i.imgur.com/MHiBQ.jpg

Log4Girlz

Games like these need a "Monster island" or some area with guaranteed hardcore fights to test your mettle. Can anyone tell me if there are any such areas?

Dresden

Hey, did you get that sword from the
House of Valor
line? I have that but it's worse than yours; I guess this implies there is loot scaling in the game. That would be really unfortunate.

Edit - Yeah, take a look: http://i.imgur.com/MHiBQ.jpg

Ugh, what level were you guys when you got those swords? Can't take a pic of mine, but the displayed DPS on it is 114. Received it at level 23 or so.

I guess it's a good thing I haven't noticed the scaling on unique gear until now, but still, unfortunate.

Wallach

Ugh, what level were you guys when you got those swords? Can't take a pic of mine, but the displayed DPS on it is 114. Received it at level 23 or so.

I guess it's a good thing I haven't noticed the scaling on unique gear until now, but still, unfortunate.

I was 31. I'd like to know why it is scaling down a sword that I am 16 levels over requirement for.

I was 31. I'd like to know why it is scaling down a sword that I am 16 levels over requirement for.

Did you start that quest line several levels ago and just make it back around to finishing it at 31? maybe it locks at your level when you start the line and you had just out-leveled it by then.

Wallach

Did you start that quest line several levels ago and just make it back around to finishing it at 31? maybe it locks at your level when you start the line and you had just out-leveled it by then.

No. I did the entire thing in one go actually; I was almost 31 when I started, and leveled up somewhere during that chain.

No. I did the entire thing in one go actually; I was almost 31 when I started, and leveled up somewhere during that chain.

Then yeah, that is weird. You'd think it would stay at a particular item level/quality and just be useful or useless depending on what level you were when you did the quest..

unless it simply randomly generates the stats for a unique item based on some unknown criteria.. I suppose it is possible that it would have had those stats regardless of what level you got it in your game.

I'd be interested to hear Curt's take on that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I respecced blacksmithing/detect hidden. Before doing so I made sure to craft up all my gems (got a few good epics). Respeccing is so cheap...couldn't I just respec everytime I need more gems?

This is the main problem with respeccing... I really think it should be just ability points that you can respec and not skills too. What's the point in considering which skills to choose since you can pretty much respec all you want? Especially since the only potential roadblocks is money and money is quite easy to get in this game. There's really no risk/reward here in terms of choosing skills--just go with reckless abandon :\

ReaperXL7

The scaling of loot would not make sense to me since for instance whehn I got stuff in the demo like the faeblades of song, or the cerimonial armor the stats were the same when I got them in the main game. Maybe it scales stuff likeit does the zones, or maybe the stats on equipment is completely random?

Dresden

Just got to Rathir . . . so big, so many yellow exclamation marks, so overwhelming.

Also, I get nothing but purple Might loot! The one tree I'll never play. :lol

Wallach

There's another possible explanation for the loot: it could only apply to items gained through "DLC". I don't have any of the other loot he was showing, so I can't say for sure yet.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
One more point to a full Detect Hidden skill, then I am going to a world tour to activate all the lore stones located on the world map. Not gonna touch any quest whatsoever. Just going around from here and there activating Lorestones on the world map. Only stop at villages and such to stock up, sell loot, or heal if necessary, before continuing. I'm level 20 going to 21 right now. Barring enemies that may be too strong for my hero, nothing can prevent me from just traveling all around the world map, yes?

~Really looking forward to doing it~

DOA

i think i've found a bug with the inventory which occurred to me once, and i'm to afraid to recreate, but i remember the steps (it's the PC version):

1. put
robes of house of ballads
in the chest in your house (mine was in the spider woods town)
2. right click the item
3. send it straight to Junk
4. go to your inventory
5. remove the item from junk
6. right click on the item again

now i didn't get any "send to junk" option nor can i put it back in the chest at my house.

anyone else got this?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wish potions also had their own inventory sub-section.

Edit: By which I mean I wish they were removed from the space reserved for general items stored in your backpack.

Wallach

Any folks want to do me a favor and post some images (just use links, not embedded images for the spoiler sensitive) of unique or set loot (purple or yellow) you have acquired that was either:

- Obviously hand-placed in a container in the environment

- Obtained from a faction quest line as a reward

Shouldn't even need location information.

Rokam

I think there's still better since I have a Longsword with a higher level requirement (with ... no bonuses, though it's got comparable base damage to that Greatsword so it's probably just +Physical/+Piercing). The bigger thing for Uniques is that they have a 10-20% better base damage than their Blacksmithing counterparts (Hammer is
~200 base damage
and Greatsword is
~140/~30 base damage
). Essentially, Unique loot is equivalent to one item type up in quality.

Yeah there's better, I just go to the other continent and found a hammer and greatsword better than the stuff you posted. Don't play on computer or else I'd post a picture. The hammer was called Fist of Kreios and the greatsword Scourgebane.

I'm having a real hard time actually completing sets. I only ever seem to get 1 maybe 2 pieces. Though now that I'm nearing level cap and I won't grossly outlevel mobs, perhaps I'll start farming random mobs for shit. Finished up today at 38 and cleared 2 zones in the new area, as well as broke 4 million.

Grinchy

Banned
I just noticed you can skip the loud intro logos by getting rid of 1 file.

common>koareckoning>content>data>bink>reckoninglogotrain.bik

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Aren't potions under "consumables"?

Yes, but each potion type takes up inventory space, and they only stack up to 10. Ideally they'd reside in their own sub-section removed from the general inventory, as the crafting items do.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Damn this game. Go to start a faction story line and I see a lorestone on my map. I go to it and what do you know there's another one not too far away. An hour later I'm still hunting the things down.

It truly is a test of focus..... so far I am failing.

I am running towards my objective,
But what's that? A bunch of red dots to my left... kill time!
Ohh, a dispellable chest sound now.. I run to go find it,
Yay Loot!, ohh what's that to my right, another bunch of red dots to destroy,
I unleash my Chakram goodness.. all bow to the fateless mage wearing studded leather!

What was a doing again?

*typical exert from my Reckoning gametime* - and loving it.

DOA

It truly is a test of focus..... so far I am failing.

I am running towards my objective,
But what's that? A bunch of red dots to my left... kill time!
Ohh, a dispellable chest sound now.. I run to go find it,
Yay Loot!, ohh what's that to my right, another bunch of red dots to destroy,
I unleash my Chakram goodness.. all bow to the fateless mage wearing studded leather!

What was a doing again?

*typical exert from my Reckoning gametime* - and loving it.

same here + many quick saves and loads before dispelling and lock picking chests

Jrmint

Damn I hope they increase it, that seems really low. I'm level 19 and still not done with Dalentarth (just have the Travelers faction left).

Btw - the buffs you get from finding all of the lorestones in an area always stay with you right?

I think it's pretty lame that the House of Valor quest-line isn't included in the game unless you purchase it new. I don't know what that area would be like if you visit it without having the content but I really loved that series of quests and it's a shame that some will have to miss out on it.

This game really brings out the completionist in me for some reason (of all games too...). Right now I'm 37 hours in and I've only seen Dalentarth and one area in Detyre.

Zimbardo

just started playing this on pc yesterday. i'm level 6 at the moment.

the game feels a lot like an MMO. not that i mind, it just kinda surprised me.

Klyka

Banned
I think it's pretty lame that the House of Valor quest-line isn't included in the game unless you purchase it new. I don't know what that area would be like if you visit it without having the content but I really loved that series of quests and it's a shame that some will have to miss out on it.

This game really brings out the completionist in me for some reason (of all games too...). Right now I'm 37 hours in and I've only seen Dalentarth and one area in Detyre.

No one has to miss out on it because if they buy used they can just buy the pass to unlock it.
I don't see the problem here.

So I've been putting points into stealth, detect hidden and sagecrafting and just maxed that last one out only to realize that epic gems require a specific slot on armour to fit into. Either I find one of these magical pieces of equipment or max out blacksmithing which I have no points in at all.

:(

No one has to miss out on it because if they buy used they can just buy the pass to unlock it.
I don't see the problem here.
I really didn't mean for the comment to incite this kind of discussion, it's been hammered to death in other threads. My primary point was just that I really enjoyed that quest-line.

Top Bottom