• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Wallach

I think it's pretty lame that the House of Valor quest-line isn't included in the game unless you purchase it new. I don't know what that area would be like if you visit it without having the content but I really loved that series of quests and it's a shame that some will have to miss out on it.

This game really brings out the completionist in me for some reason (of all games too...). Right now I'm 37 hours in and I've only seen Dalentarth and one area in Detyre.

I did that one yesterday, and honestly I thought it was pretty dumb. Useful, but as a quest line was probably the worst one I've encountered.

I did that one yesterday, and honestly I thought it was pretty dumb. Useful, but as a quest line was probably the worst one I've encountered.
The quests themselves were simple since they were all in the same area but I felt really motivated to get to the top. I guess I'm just a sucker for anything gladiator-ish. I thought the sub-plots surrounding the fights were interesting as well.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Anyone else totally LOVING the crafting in this?

I swear, I have never liked nor thought about the crafting in any game previous to this.... and I've played A LOT of RPGs in my time. The salvage->crafting system in this game is actually fun and addictive... I have found myself obsessing over it to the point of having to stop myself, re-evaluate things and direct myself to keep playing quests..

Crafting fiend 101 I tells you..

Klyka

Banned
I am still at the Plains of Erathell on my level 18 Might/Sorcery hybrid and you guys are already talking about Rathir and level 35. Jesus, haha.

I left Dalentarth after 24 hours at level 23.
Went into Detyre and finished the entire zone + Adessa at 38 hours and level 28.
Now entered the Plains.

Went into Detyre and finished the entire zone + Adessa at 38 hours and level 28.
Now entered the Plains.
I wonder why I'm taking so long to get through the same stuff? Did you make the effort to talk to all the NPC's and listen to all of their dialogue? I do feel like I'm taking my time with the game somewhat but not that much.

scy

Hey, did you get that sword from the
House of Valor
line? I have that but it's worse than yours; I guess this implies there is loot scaling in the game. That would be really unfortunate.

Edit - Yeah, take a look: http://i.imgur.com/MHiBQ.jpg

I guess that's where it's from. I got it at Level 40.

Why the fuck is the end game gear level 18, that can't be right LOL

Prismere is the top tier equipment which means that, yes, there's nothing over
Level 19 or ~40 Ability points as far as requirements are concerned

Yeah there's better, I just go to the other continent and found a hammer and greatsword better than the stuff you posted. Don't play on computer or else I'd post a picture. The hammer was called Fist of Kreios and the greatsword Scourgebane.

I'm pretty sure I have them both and they're worse than those two. Note that +Physical%/+Piercing% aren't shown on their displayed damage total and the game merely adds all displayed damage to reach that value (which means that Damage over Time effects are greatly misrepresented in the listed damage of the weapon).

Klyka

Banned
I wonder why I'm taking so long to get through the same stuff? Did you make the effort to talk to all the NPC's and listen to all of their dialogue? I do feel like I'm taking my time with the game somewhat but not that much.

Yes, I talked to everyone about everything and did every sidequest.

Wallach

I guess that's where it's from. I got it at Level 40.

How frustrating. Do you still have the
Dark Emperyan
set and if so would you mind snapping pics of it? I'm curious if it affects set stuff. I think someone said they saw multiple leveled versions of
Shine and Shadow
, so I think at least set uniques are being level-scaled whether they are DLC earned or not.

Now entered the Plains.

Do note that I completely restarted or else I would have had 40 hours done, but now I am sitting at 20 hours. I jumped into the first two regions of the Plains, did some quests there and tonight I am going to take the jump towards Detyre and completely try to finish that in the limited time I have this week.

Prismere is the top tier equipment which means that, yes, there's nothing over
Level 19 or ~40 Ability points as far as requirements are concerned
Sounds like there's no incentive to play as a non-hybrid from a gear perspective, then. I kind of figured as much since I haven't run into any sorcery or might gear that I can't use with my might/sorcery character.

Yes, I talked to everyone about everything and did every sidequest.
Cool. I guess I'm just slow then!

Dark Emperyan
set and if so would you mind snapping pics of it? I'm curious if it affects set stuff. I think someone said they saw multiple leveled versions of
Shine and Shadow
, so I think at least set uniques are being level-scaled whether they are DLC earned or not.
That does seem pretty lame... It makes the prospect of collecting uniques seem a whole lot less compelling, to be honest.

That does seem pretty lame... It makes the prospect of collecting uniques seem a whole lot less compelling, to be honest.

I had that issue at the start as well. You get one or two pieces from a set and you hope that the other pieces will pop up, but what happens is that different one's start to show up while completely neglecting the previous armor.
That is one of the major downsides of the loot system in this game.

It doesn't matter whether you are using them or not. Stacking Alchemy buffs is the most powerful form of character improvement the game offers. Blacksmithing isn't even close, nor should it be since Alchemy buffs are temporary. My point is that if you are actually min-maxing, Alchemy is required because it is the most potent by a large margin. Actually min-maxing in this game is kind of pointless though.
Have fun picking up / buying reagents, creating them at the table, popping buff potions regularly, and other micro-managing with your alchemy while I swing my mastercrafted prismere great sword a few times and clear all the mobs in about 3 seconds.

Found a pair of Sylvanite Daggers as soon as I left Dalentarth for the Plains with a weapon slot and 2 utility slots.

Threw 48 Poison Damage gem on there along with +20% daytime/night-time damage gems. Things are monstrous, especially with level 7 Enduring Agony which gives me like 100% boost poison/bleed potency.

scy

Any folks want to do me a favor and post some images (just use links, not embedded images for the spoiler sensitive) of unique or set loot (purple or yellow) you have acquired that was either:

- Obviously hand-placed in a container in the environment

- Obtained from a faction quest line as a reward

Shouldn't even need location information.

Here's the entirety of the hand-placed set:

Chest: http://i.imgur.com/XHzUJ.jpg
Gloves: http://i.imgur.com/BazEx.jpg
Helm: http://i.imgur.com/eVHeE.jpg
Legs: http://i.imgur.com/fhtQI.jpg
Boots: http://i.imgur.com/Vr4ti.jpg

I think there's another one or two as well. I'm not sure on Unique loot off-hand but if I remember any, I'll post them later.

Dark Emperyan
Shine and Shadow

Dark Empyrean set, obtained at various levels but mostly 30+:
Robes: http://i.imgur.com/uC1Kn.jpg
Cowl: http://i.imgur.com/lz2po.jpg
Gloves: http://i.imgur.com/CloRC.jpg
Boots: http://i.imgur.com/9gZW0.jpg

You can craft better than all of that with master/flawless components. In fact, I would vendor the last two lol.

You cannot craft better than the two weapons. Prismere is just inferior to Unique Prismere as far as Base Damage is concerned and unless I'm missing components, you can't match them in terms of crafting. The Chest/Gloves only stand out due to loot tables treating +Elemental Damage as a single stat while crafted stuff is a per slot basis. And the Gloves having an Epic Gem slot effect.

I know the Blacksmithing system pretty well :| The only thing they're really missing is a Gem slot.

Edit: Or you're crafting in Elemental damage and counting the DoT toward your damage total but not counting +Physical% or +Critical% :|

ced

Finished it @ lvl 29 with a might/sorcery guy, 50 hours or so. I just did some faction and main quests, there are way too many BS side quests.

This is the first open world RPG I've ever finished, so that says something about it. Combat was great and always fun. It did feel like a MMORPG in the world design, which was a bit of a disappointment, didn't care for the "zones".

Finished it @ lvl 29 with a might/sorcery guy, 50 hours or so. I just did some faction and main quests, there are way too many BS side quests.

This is the first open world RPG I've ever finished, so that says something about it. Combat was great and always fun. It did feel like a MMORPG in the world design, which was a bit of a disappointment, didn't care for the "zones".
I don't want any spoilers obviously but how did you feel the story held up in general terms? Were you interested in it at any point, and did you ever lose interest? Was the ending satisfying?

I guess these are good questions for you as well, scy. :)

Wallach

Have fun picking up / buying reagents, creating them at the table, popping buff potions regularly, and other micro-managing with your alchemy while I swing my mastercrafted prismere great sword a few times and clear all the mobs in about 3 seconds.

If you're now arguing that Blacksmithing is less powerful but more convenient or less effort, then I guess we agree because that was my original point. Min-maxing is hardly a pursuit of convenience, though really even that is mostly irrelevant since it would involve both skills.

Here's the entirety of the hand-placed set:

I think there's another one or two as well. I'm not sure on Unique loot off-hand but if I remember any, I'll post them later.

Dark Empyrean set, obtained at various levels but mostly 30+:

Looking through your images, I am curious - do you have anything active that lowers equipment requirements? That is the only difference in the hand-placed items between yours and mine. However, the second set is clearly level scaled; only the armor rating and requirements are affected, though. Whether that is due to us acquiring the items at almost the same levels I don't know. Maybe a wider gap would reveal more.

You cannot craft better than the two weapons. Prismere is just inferior to Unique Prismere as far as Base Damage is concerned and unless I'm missing components, you can't match them in terms of crafting. The Chest/Gloves only stand out due to loot tables treating +Elemental Damage as a single stat while crafted stuff is a per slot basis. And the Gloves having an Epic Gem slot effect.

I know the Blacksmithing system pretty well :| The only thing they're really missing is a Gem slot.

Edit: Or you're crafting in Elemental damage and counting the DoT toward your damage total but not counting +Physical% or +Critical% :|

Yes you can, and no I'm not counting DoT.

If you're now arguing that Blacksmithing is less powerful but more convenient or less effort, then I guess we agree because that was my original point. Min-maxing is hardly a pursuit of convenience, though really even that is mostly irrelevant since it would involve both skills.
Blacksmithing DPS is better, period. You don't have to pop potions, don't have to pick up/buy reagents, don't have to create at the table, none of that. Just swing a few times with your epic weapon and they're all dead.

ced

I don't want any spoilers obviously but how did you feel the story held up in general terms? Were you interested in it at any point, and did you ever lose interest? Was the ending satisfying?

I guess these are good questions for you as well, scy. :)

I skipped all conversation after about an hour of it, that's not to say it was poor, it's just me having zero intrest in a story for this type of game.

Wallach

Blacksmithing DPS is better, period. You don't have to pop potions, don't have to pick up/buy reagents, don't have to create at the table, none of that. Just swing a few times with your epic weapon and they're all dead.

I don't understand why you think the two ideas have anything to do with each other. Blacksmithing is less effort, obviously - I'm the one that pointed that out when we started on this topic, although you are still doing a fair bit of work "at the table" hauling stuff back to forges. It is not, though, "more DPS" because Blacksmithed gear does not have anywhere near large enough margins over non-Blacksmithed gear for that to be remotely possible.

Whether there is any reason for someone to make a consideration for raw power over convenience is a completely different question, but it doesn't change the answer.

Carm

The problem isn't with the difficulty levels, it is how easy you can get overleveled in comparison to the content. When I got to the desert/badlands environment everything was grey-con.

Actually the problem is the difficulty levels. I haven't ran into any grey con mobs since I backtracked to the last part of the House of Ballads quest in Windemere. I'm almost finished in Detyre now, mostly yellow con npcs/some orange, I'm level 26 I think, currently. The only fights that I would consider difficulty on the hard setting, are not difficult in the good way, but in the cheap ways. Sprite packs and magic using packs, are the only ones that even come close to killing me as a might/sorc build.

Sprite packs are just annoying as shit because they, along with magic user packs, seem to be the only ones that attack at the same time, and have staggers. I finished off the House of Valor arena events last night, the only one that was even remotely difficult was the sprite pack ones. The trolls/bigger npcs that con orange, were all pushovers.

People that are running into grey cons fast, and mind you I'm not blaming them for this really, is because they went somewhere they shouldn't have yet. Meaning, you went to Detyre/Plains to early and locked down the mob levels in that entire zone to your level.

Also, I've completed every quest so far I've run across, Haven't turned in the repeatable tasks, no point really.

The more I play the game the more willing I am to ignore it's faults just because it's such a fun and expansive playground.

My biggest complaints are that the game feels so shallow for the first few hours when it's actually not. That and the fact that most of the combat difficulty lies in mobs being able to chain stun you to death. It feels like something either unintentional - which would mean they wanted the game to be a cakewalk - or something emergent they discovered during testing that seemed effective and they decided to just roll with it - which would mean they wanted the game to be mindlessly cheap.

A game where your character grows into a virtually indestructible beast is better than a game where your character doesn't grow at all, but I'd certainly pay for a higher difficulty level as DLC.

Edit: Stealth edited, sorry. After dying 6 times to a certain widow who shall remain nameless, I remembered what bugged me about the combat.

ParityBit

I skipped all conversation after about an hour of it, that's not to say it was poor, it's just me having zero intrest in a story for this type of game.

You sound like my friend who didn't like Pulp Fiction because there was too much talking. Why did you play an RPG to begin with?

scy

Looking through your images, I am curious - do you have anything active that lowers equipment requirements? That is the only difference in the hand-placed items between yours and mine. However, the second set is clearly level scaled; only the armor rating and requirements are affected, though. Whether that is due to us acquiring the items at almost the same levels I don't know. Maybe a wider gap would reveal more.

-10% from a Lorestone, I believe.

I don't have all the best components yet. You need flawless to blow the ones he posted away. Master would probably be better too, I'll see what I have. But yes you can make better.

I do have all the best components and I tried to recreate them exactly and I couldn't. I've been salvaging everything from the start of the game and the entire last two regions were almost exclusively Prismere drops with Flawless/Master equipment. The best base material you can get will be ~10% (on the Hammer) to 20% (on the Greatsword) inferior in just the base listed stats due to how Uniques work.

I'm not sure what else to say if you don't get that Uniques have a raw damage bonus that accounts for an entire Master level component. As a base material, they're better than what you can craft as a base material. After that, it's hoping for smart itemization (which, honestly, is a bit bad as there's a lot of wasted slots e.g., Poison Resistance on that Chest or the HP%, personally anyway, on the weapons).

People that are running into grey cons fast, and mind you I'm not blaming them for this really, is because they went somewhere they shouldn't have yet. Meaning, you went to Detyre/Plains to early and locked down the mob levels in that entire zone to your level.

I got to Detyre in my 30s and it was all grey :( Without Reckoning abuse on every high EXP fight and doing Dalentarth -> Detyre -> Plains, I'm anticipating my next playthrough to have a lot less of that grey con issue. Ideally.

The more I play the game the more willing I am to ignore it's faults just because it's such a fun and expansive playground. My biggest complaint is that the game feels so shallow for the first few hours when it's actually not.

A game where your character grows into a virtually indestructible beast is better than a game where your character doesn't grow at all, but I'd certainly pay for a higher difficulty level as DLC.
Agreed, that's basically exactly how I feel about it. The game isn't very challenging to me at this point but I'm having such a great time with it that I don't really mind. That's not to say that I wouldn't welcome some additional challenge, though.

And you know, from a story perspective it kind of makes sense that the main character would be an absolute beast. He/she is basically a legend in the making.

Cool, this negates your comment that the sidequests are BS. If you're not reading, then you really have no way to gauge the BS-level of the quests. I'm personally loving many of the sidequests and the stories involved with the people offering them. They're not all winners, but they're also definitely not BS.

But to give you an example, a great sword with:

1. Prismere great sword
2. Flawless damaging hilt (+physical dmg, not sure how much it would be, probably around 30) or Flawless magnifying hilt (+7% crit)
3. Flawless damaging grip (+20% dmg) or flawless magnifying grip (+7% crit
4. Gem of precision (7% crit) or the gem for damage (+30 phys dmg) or the one for piercing dmg (+25 piercing)

...would completely destroy his. In fact, I'm certain you could substitute master quality in all those instead of flawless and still destroy it.

Also you could substitute one of those for a Flawless robust grip/hilt which gives +80 health and +80 mana. There's a lot of other options too.

Just got to go to the Cradle of Summer. I love the layout of it and I love what happens when
you click on all 5 of the lorestones

moop1167

So if I ventured E of Dalentarth by accident, just by even loading the next zone over I locked the mobs at a lower level? I think I did this maybe 5 hours ago and I haven't left Dalentarth yet. Dammit.

I don't understand why you think the two ideas have anything to do with each other. Blacksmithing is less effort, obviously - I'm the one that pointed that out when we started on this topic, although you are still doing a fair bit of work "at the table" hauling stuff back to forges. It is not, though, "more DPS" because Blacksmithed gear does not have anywhere near large enough margins over non-Blacksmithed gear for that to be remotely possible.

Whether there is any reason for someone to make a consideration for raw power over convenience is a completely different question, but it doesn't change the answer.
I consider all the micro-managing required with your alchemical route part of the DPS and when the time for doing all those things I mentioned is counted, blacksmithing has better DPS.

I do have all the best components and I tried to recreate them exactly and I couldn't. I've been salvaging everything from the start of the game and the entire last two regions were almost exclusively Prismere drops with Flawless/Master equipment. The best base material you can get will be ~10% (on the Hammer) to 20% (on the Greatsword) inferior in just the base listed stats due to how Uniques work.

I'm not sure what else to say if you don't get that Uniques have a raw damage bonus that accounts for an entire Master level component. As a base material, they're better than what you can craft as a base material. After that, it's hoping for smart itemization (which, honestly, is a bit bad as there's a lot of wasted slots e.g., Poison Resistance on that Chest or the HP%, personally anyway, on the weapons).
You're wrong and haven't found the best components if that's the case.

MC Safety

I'm finding it hard to ignore Amalur's faults, notably the spike in boss difficulty, the horrible camera that requires constant adjustment during the aforementioned fights, and the absolute overreliance on distracting explosion effects from projectiles and spells.

No, Amalur, I don't want to turn down the difficulty. I want to be able to see what I'm fighting. The battle with the witch of windmere was an extended session in what the hell am I swinging at.

I'm enjoying my adventuring sessions, but man! it's depressing to see the game doesn't get the basics right.

scy

But to give you an example, a great sword with:

1. Prismere great sword
2. Flawless damaging hilt (+physical dmg, not sure how much it would be, probably around 30) or Flawless magnifying hilt (+7% crit)
3. Flawless damaging grip (+20% dmg) or flawless magnifying grip (+7% crit
4. Gem of precision (7% crit) or the gem for damage (+30 phys dmg) or the one for piercing dmg (+25 piercing)

...would completely destroy his. In fact, I'm certain you could substitute master quality in all those instead of flawless and still destroy it.

Also you could substitute one of those for a Flawless robust grip/hilt which gives +80 health and +80 mana. There's a lot of other options too.

Prismere with the best hilt almost/does makes up the missing base damage (should be 139/33 vs 168/39) or thereabout as the base and the top +Crit% will leave you a little short (or blow it out at stacking all crit). The best you can do after that depends on the build; +21% Crit or 14% Crit/30 Physical is probably the best option. +Damage% isn't the same as +Damage, for one, so it's not really the same though until I figure out the damage formula, I can't say that for certain (since it could be Wpn * WpnMod before running everything else).

I think it would be beneficial to the conversation if you could post some kind of evidence for your claims instead of just dismissing everything he says with "you're wrong." Just sayin'. :p

I did. All those components I listed aren't made up, they're in the game. I just don't have all of them yet, I have one of this, one of that, but not all flawless yet.

HoosTrax

Anyone else totally LOVING the crafting in this?

I swear, I have never liked nor thought about the crafting in any game previous to this.... and I've played A LOT of RPGs in my time. The salvage->crafting system in this game is actually fun and addictive... I have found myself obsessing over it to the point of having to stop myself, re-evaluate things and direct myself to keep playing quests..

Crafting fiend 101 I tells you..
I like the crafting system, but I also find myself quicksaving and reloading constantly while salvaging to try to get good salvage components, which can get tiresome. Especially if the gear has one specific component I want and the RNG gods aren't being kind.

Prismere with the best hilt almost/does makes up the missing base damage (should be 139/33 vs 168/39) or thereabout as the base and the top +Crit% will leave you a little short (or blow it out at stacking all crit). The best you can do after that depends on the build; +21% Crit or 14% Crit/30 Physical is probably the best option. +Damage% isn't the same as +Damage, for one, so it's not really the same though until I figure out the damage formula, I can't say that for certain (since it could be Wpn * WpnMod before running everything else).

This reads like a long-winded way of saying, "you're right, my bad Heavy".

Carm

I got to Detyre in my 30s and it was all grey :( Without Reckoning abuse on every high EXP fight and doing Dalentarth -> Detyre -> Plains, I'm anticipating my next playthrough to have a lot less of that grey con issue. Ideally.

How the hell did you level to 30, doing all the quests in Dalentarth, then moved straight to Detyre? I just checked my save right before leaving Dalentarth to go to Detyre. My character is level 20, 60 quests completed in Dalentarth.

I visited a Fateweaver, again (like 4 or 5 trips, want to try every build), now level 22. With reading about the combo on these boards and from a buddy, going hammer/chakrams right now.

Oh my! I think Ill stay here for awhile. So... much... fun!

Lain

Received my game today. I had read on some posts in I don't remember which thread on this board (maybe the syndicate requiring Origin one?) that the disc of Reckoning didn't contain the game but instead you'd have to download it off Origin and was scared initially, but that was bullshit.

I wanted to ask, adding the reckoning.exe to the nvidia panel and then using inspector to force AF 16x is going to work? Or do I need to install beta drivers (which I'd rather not do)? Also, what are some other things I should tweak with Inspector to improve the game's look (I remember reading a post about it in here, but I don't remember the specifics)?

Oh, and would you guys say the DLC sets are worth 4.90€?

scy

This reads like a long-winded way of saying, "you're right, my bad Heavy".

I have no problems saying I'm wrong if I'm wrong ... but that wasn't what I said.

Prismere Base (139/33)
+30 Damage Hilt (169/33)
+7% Crit Fulcrum
+7% Crit Grip
+30 Damage Physical Gem (199/33)

199/33 with 14% Crit vs 168/39 with 15% Crit and 20% Physical Damage; assuming Damage% functions as +Damage, that's 199/33 with 14% Crit vs 201/39 with 15% Crit.

How the hell did you level to 30, doing all the quests in Dalentarth, then moved straight to Detyre? I just checked my save right before leaving Dalentarth to go to Detyre. My character is level 20, 60 quests completed in Dalentarth.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. My first playthrough went Dalentarth -> Plains -> Detyre so I got to Detyre well into my 30s. Second one is doing Detyre first so hopefully that resolves that level issue.

Carm

I have no problems saying I'm wrong if I'm wrong ... but that wasn't what I said.

Prismere Base (139/33)
+30 Damage Hilt (169/33)
+7% Crit Fulcrum
+7% Crit Grip
+30 Damage Physical Gem (199/33)

199/33 with 14% Crit vs 168/39 with 15% Crit and 20% Physical Damage; assuming Damage% functions as +Damage, that's 199/33 with 14% Crit vs 201/39 with 15% Crit.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. My first playthrough went Dalentarth -> Plains -> Detyre so I got to Detyre well into my 30s. Second one is doing Detyre first so hopefully that resolves that level issue.

Ah, alright, that's different then. I won't know till later today how Plains are gonna be for me, will report back when I get there. Makes me wonder though, the faction quests send you to Plains first, but there are quest areas for them in Detyre. So, I'm guessing I'll be sent back there to the faction specific quests, at which point I'd expect to see some grey cons in the world. Each faction area I've seen so far in Detyre has quests already available, guess I'll do them before going to Plains.

Wallach

I consider all the micro-managing required with your alchemical route part of the DPS and when the time for doing all those things I mentioned is counted, blacksmithing has better DPS.

Are you being serious? I mean that definition of "DPS" would be useless to anyone else.

moop1167

Anyone using the dagger/staff combo? It doesn't seem like there is any way to juggle your enemies using this combo. The staff delayed move lifts the enemy up but it sends them a bit too far away from you, so by the time you switch to daggers and try to attack you can't reach them. Still fun though.

Top Bottom