• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

scy

I honestly think that some of the people in this thread are not playing the same game as me, or at least not playing the same content within the game that I am. All of these complaints about the side quests are ridiculous. ... As for the Til's Book Collection quest that people are whining about right above me -- the reward is the books themselves. Have you read them? Would you have collected them otherwise?

I enjoyed the quests (even some of the fetch quest tasks) but it's kind of annoying when you have this sprawling quest that takes the entire game to complete ... and you get 1000 gold. Yes, the books are their own reward but it's a little disheartening that the culmination of the whole thing is just gold. It would have been a good opportunity for something unique. That's all.

Was something I looked forward to whenever I got to a new area because I was curious at what the next book said and because of the quest design taking you all over the world. The payoff just fell short of expectations.

For what it's worth, I really did play it on hard and then complained! Though, I always complain that games are too easy, generally speaking, so it's not really something I hold against games, just an observation I make.

That said, this caught my eye:

“It’s not a simple answer,” said Dawe, “In our playtests when we asked how difficult they thought the game was... it’s sort of about a 4 on the 1 to 10 scale,” which according to the game’s Lead Designer was about right.

I'd more-or-less agree, assuming a playthrough that wasn't trying to break the game (e.g., extensive use of crafting, potions, Reckoning, etc.); utilizing all the tools provided, however, brings it down quite a bit, arguably more than they really should.

Ideally, Hard mode should have been 7 or 8 out of 10 (or 10 out of 10, making it 1-5-10 for easy/normal/hard) instead. Mechanics in the game should feel necessary because of the difficulty. Though, that's all abstract language ("It should feel like an 8, not a 4!) that doesn't translate well to fixing things.

Of course, that's all fine to say but it's rather difficult to execute properly. And gamers as a whole tend to find the path of least resistance and then obliterate expectations. We're a crafty bunch. Or something.

Every once in a while maybe developers should use GAF members as their focus/testing group, hahahah.

I wouldn't mind it, though my idea of things is skewed :x If I was closer to the northeast, I'd gladly be their QA guinea pig.

I've put 30 hours into this already and have just set foot in the Plains. I have to say, I'm no where near bored yet, and the Plains have really brought the game world to a new level after the forest was starting to feel kinda claustrophobic.

The more I play, the more this game reminds me of single player Secret of Mana, if it had been made by a Western company on PS1. That's meant to be a compliment. Something about the structure of the game, the colors, the weapon and spell choices.

_machine

Does anyone else have a problem with using space key when naming your crafted items?
For me it creates the item so I have to use the spaces from the 'default' name.
Bumping this.

Just crafted an item and the default name only had two spaces and I needed three :(

legbone

just wanted to take a moment to thank 38 studios and big huge games for one of the best games i have played in a very long time. i just finished up tonight. over 70 hours. never got bored. level 40 female nightblade that used daggers and a longbow the whole game. loved it. i think i did all of the side missions. i think there was around 190 side missions completed when i took a run at the end game. my favorite character in the game (besides me of course) was alyn shyr (sp?). also there was an emotional moment in the game that practically made me scream no at my television. i haven't had an emotional moment like that in a game since I was a kid (i'm 37). anyway, i cannot wait for a sequel. really wish they were raising the level cap in the first dlc but i will probably buy it anyway. i really want to see more of this world. bring on the sequel. or how about a nice side story where i get to play as alyn shyr? that would be amazing. anyway, thanks again guys. it's going to take one hell of a game to beat this out as my game of the year. i really don't see it happening.

edit: 5 minutes shy of 74 hours and 195 side missions completed to be exact.

Grinchy

Banned
Bumping this.

Just crafted an item and the default name only had two spaces and I needed three :(

Yup, it seems to be a common problem. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't fixed already.

I stopped naming items because of it, or I'd try to come up with one-word names. Pretty annoying.

Jrmint

Quick question.

How much is left of the main story, hours wise, after you arrive in Alabastra and meet up with your group?

Jrmint

If you rush it, maybe one hour to one hour and a half.

Kk cool, thanks.

Ive loved this game, but I think I'm ready to be done with it. I understand what the reviews meant at this point that the fatigue really starts to set in.

Finaika

So I'm about to start playing this.

Is Normal mode ok or is it too easy? I don't want it to be frustrating though.

Going for a rogue build. Is the +crit God better or the +poison one?

sneaky77

it would be nice if that fae in the white whitch quest would stop getting herself killed lol

I don't think is gonna be able to make it, it seems the first hit on the fight against the white whitch she dies

edit: I was able to go back to the quicksave before I entered the castle and had to sneak past a couple of fights on the way to the boss battle but managed to keep her alive long enough.

legbone

sorry, hope i can still be of some help. i would go with the crit. when you go the finesse route you have a skill called envenoming edge that will take care of poisoning. there are some others also that are cool. definitely go crit. as for difficulty, i was a walking god at the end of normal. of course i broke the game with health regenerating crystals in my armor. but i would still say you might want to go the hard route. i am if i ever get around to a second playthrough.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So as a level 6 rogue, I decided to venture forth and unlock the achievement to kill an enemy '4 levels above me'(ie. a red-colored enemy).

I ran from Webwood all the way through the plains, and into Detyre(I think it was), the farthest 'desert' zone bordering the large lake passage to the final 'Mordor' areas.

That entire trip through the plains and the desert was filled with nothing but yellow enemies. Yellow assassins, yellow wolves, yellow brownies, etc... I ran into an orange troll somewhere, but no red's.

So basically, my puny :level 6: rogue traversed almost the entire world, on hard difficulty, and could not find a single enemy capable of reminding me that I have ventured well beyond the boundaries of my means. Total bullshit.

Concerned that I would never see a red enemy in the game, I consulted an achievement guide and discovered I could reload my level 1 autosave the game creates post-tutorial, kill some people in the first town, and then kill the 'red difficulty' guards when escaping prison. Apparently the only surefire chance of rubbing against a 'tough' enemy is to face those guards at level 1.

Terrible. This has utterly crushed my ambition to play any further.

Ricker

Normal is fine,some challenging fights on occasion and the regular mobs are fun,it let' you experiment and use all kinds of other weapons you aren't necessarily skilled with..anyway,you can change difficulty on the fly so it's no problem.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I keep trying to play this game... but the goddamn camera is a pile of shit.

Without a doubt the worst camera in a major release this gen. Those responsible should feel ashamed for sucking at their job.

I'm getting rid of it tomorrow. Only game I regret buying in a long time, and I spend quite a bit on games I hardly ever play.

I really liked the demo for whatever reason, but the actual game is boring, too fucking easy, and I constantly have to fight with the camera. They tried to get cute with it, and all they accomplished was creating frustration. (for me anyway... I've been reading this thread, and I guess some of you guys actually like this game)

I just finished this. 67 hours, 134 quests and I'll probably go back and platinum it once the DLC releases. I had a blast and am looking forward to more time in the realm of Amalur (sequel, DLC, etc).

So are yellow-grade/unique armor sets usually all located in that specific area of the map? I just found the Captain's pants for my Rogue, and I'm wondering if the rest of the armor is nearby?

ksimm

Posted in the cheap ass thread, but may as well post here - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is only £17.49 on the Origin store!

So are yellow-grade/unique armor sets usually all located in that specific area of the map? I just found the Captain's pants for my Rogue, and I'm wondering if the rest of the armor is nearby?

No, there are only two sets that have fixed locations and a few that you can get from doing faction quests, all the rest is random, including your Captain's set.

I keep trying to play this game... but the goddamn camera is a pile of shit.

Without a doubt the worst camera in a major release this gen. Those responsible should feel ashamed for sucking at their job.

I'm getting rid of it tomorrow. Only game I regret buying in a long time, and I spend quite a bit on games I hardly ever play.

I really liked the demo for whatever reason, but the actual game is boring, too fucking easy, and I constantly have to fight with the camera. They tried to get cute with it, and all they accomplished was creating frustration. (for me anyway... I've been reading this thread, and I guess some of you guys actually like this game)
I had a laundry list of complaints too (including a lot of what you mentioned), but I still think it survives all that with what it does well. The negatives are definitely intrusive, but never got to the point of being completely unplayable for me. I guess I have a bit more tolerance in those areas.

I get the impression the devs are really ecstatic the game even runs and that most are able to get through it without any crazy game-breaking bugs. Given that it's a fairly ambitious game, that is a pretty impressive feat, but I still wish they'd push their standards further to not just being able to run, but to run well. They laid down a lot of interesting groundwork, and I hope they build upon it with a much smoother technical performance in Reckoning 2.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I repecced this weekend from a Might and Magic user with a focus on melee (greatsword) to a Finesse character with fae blades, bow and the rest in magic.

Holy crap, do I like this game even more now. My magic is almost useless, as I rarely ever use it. I just fly all over the battlefield cutting everything up so fast. The poison blink is great too. Despite the faeblades being weaker than my greatsword even 10 hours beforehand, I still finish battles almost twice as fast. The greatsword was just too slow and made combat very repetitive.

The only thing I miss is the block/attack move that the swords and hammer has. You can hold block and hit attack at the same time for a nifty attack, but I guess I don't need it anymore.

My magic is useless now that I can kill with my bow and faeblades so darned fast, so if I respecc again I might not put as many points into it, but it's still nice as a back up plan. And without it I won't have the blink ability...though I probably don't really need it at this point.

I finished up most of Detyre and just entered Erathell, which is my favorite area so far as far as landscape goes and I have barely been there for a few minutes. Detyre wasn't too bad itself, but Dalentarth was just boring IMO.

Wow just played all day and I'm loving this game. I was worried coming off of Skyrim that I wouldn't be able to sustain another fantasy WRPG so soon, but this game is solid. Quick question, I know this has been answered before, but I don't want to search the entire thread. How do you get health regeneration gems? Do you have to combine certain kinds or do you find them on your own? I'm about 12 hrs into the game and I have alot of gems, but no health ones. Any ideas?

Is there a way to set 1024x768 as resolution?

I'm playing with my old laptop, so a resolution drop should make the framerate more stable.

Rhyvven

Neo Member
Wow just played all day and I'm loving this game. I was worried coming off of Skyrim that I wouldn't be able to sustain another fantasy WRPG so soon, but this game is solid. Quick question, I know this has been answered before, but I don't want to search the entire thread. How do you get health regeneration gems? Do you have to combine certain kinds or do you find them on your own? I'm about 12 hrs into the game and I have alot of gems, but no health ones. Any ideas?

I have not found any "health gems" per se out in the game world, but there could be already "completed" gems as such. Take your collection to a Sage crafting table. You need to craft gems by adding them to the "recipe", if you will, at the bottom of the screen. Once you combine two gems the end result is displayed.

You will learn which ones generate a health bonus or re-gen value. It is simply a matter of trial and error to find what you want. If you don't get the result you want, simply remove one or two of the gems and add different ones to see another result. When you get what you want, then you can "create" and then move to the "socket" menu to add them in. You of course need to have the proper weapon or "utility" slot available.

ksimm

I bought the PC version yesterday and using the mouse the camera stutters like crazy. I tried lowering the sensitivity in the menu, but all that does is slow down the stutter.
Anyone else have / had this issue and know of a fix? The demo ran just fine. :[

Edit: Solved, a mix of post processing and Origin overlay.

So over the course of this past Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, I've put in 35 hours. 360 version. I bought the game launch day and due to whatever circumstances never really started playing it until this weekend.

Good fucking lord. Easily the best RPG I've played in ages. The world, the colors (children, the colors!), the quests... I'm having a blast. Closing in on 40 hours and I juuuust got out of Ysa city (beautiful). So now I'm headed north (again) to the plains (because I fucked off there on my own earlier) and I couldn't be happier. This reminds me of what a Super NES action/RPG would be like in modern times.

The world, the colors (children, the colors!)...
The colors, the animations, the grandeur of some of the locations, the little details like God Rays, twinkly bits, waterways and swaying grass... I know art style is subjective but I absolutely love what they put together here on an audio-visual level. The tech could definitely use some improvement (and some more knobs for fine tuning), but the style and how everything meshes together is just wonderful.

Even the simple things just "feel" good, like hurtling Chakrams and doing spinning dashes with Fae Blades. I love it, and more than anything else it's what draws me in to the world - that and some of the voicework.

sneaky77

I'm closing in on 80hrs of playing time, I have yet to get tired of the game, even though I failed two quests in the last continent because there are so many enemies coming at me that I can't beat them fast enough so the npc will not die

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I think the best way to avoid becoming bored in the game is to keep pressing on and also respeccing when you want a change. Dalentarth really sucks the life out of you and there is a LOT to do there so you are confined for a long time to the dense forests.

Combat now is so fluid and fast now that I'm a finesse guy, and I finally got an epic slot piece of armor. Things are getting a bit too easy finally at the 60 hour mark, but only because I just put some health regen gems and crit attack boosters into my armor. My health replenishes almost as fast as I can lose it.

Such a great game, more fun than I had even anticipated.

sneaky77

Finished the game at 81hrs of gameplay.. didn't get bored of it once, I am ready for the DLC to drop!

The one thing I kinda wished was for high level weapons that only I could use as a full finesse build, instead of keeping the weapons at a level that a jack of all trades guy could use. There should be something for the guy investing all 109 pts in finesse lol or other builds

coopolon

Any updates to the FOV change?

Using Widescreen Fixeer at 16:10 using the 5760x1080 trick is fine but at 16:9 (on my TV, which is where I want to play the game) that fov is fisheyed - especially in dungeons with narrow hallways.

I guess I could experiment around with it, but my concern is I recall stuff starts to break when you change from those settings and I was just wondering if anyone has a good setup for 16:9.

I haven't played the game in over a week now, but I think I'm going to try it again with the heartcore mod.

Edit: Hmm, I just changed the resolution back to 1080p, FOV back to 80 and it looks fine. Why was it recommended to use the weird 5760x1080/fov170 for everyone? Do the cutscenes break or something if it's not that?

1stStrike

Banned
3 days until Dead Kel. What's not to like about Undead Pirates! You guys are going to love the environments.

Let me know when there's a bump up in the level cap and more difficult enemies that will actually be able to hurt me. Until then, I'm afraid my interest is just not there. =\

I'll probably be picking this up, but it is a shame there's no level cap increase - what about new twists of fates? Some more powerful weaponry would be nice, too.

Top Bottom