• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Volcynika

Is there a place where I can find some recipes early in the game? Trying to do that early quest when you go to the first town, and I don't want to spend tons of money on one greater healing potion.

Wallach

Is there a place where I can find some recipes early in the game? Trying to do that early quest when you go to the first town, and I don't want to spend tons of money on one greater healing potion.

I stole one from her shop in a desk downstairs.

Dresden

Not that I know of. If you do her other quest, though, the price gets cut in half.

ZZMitch

Wow, I had no idea about this game until today. It looks pretty awesome! I have been looking for a loot RPG that I can just sit back and enjoy on my Xbox while at college (my gaming PC is back home) and this looks the perfect fit. And it is made by Curt Schilling, one of my all-time favorite baseball players (2004 <3), so it is really a no-brainer. Will probably pick this up tomorrow after I check out the Giant Bomb quicklook.

sneaky77

Wow, I had no idea about this game until today. It looks pretty awesome! I have been looking for a loot RPG that I can just sit back and enjoy on my Xbox while at college (my gaming PC is back home) and this looks the perfect fit. And it is made by Curt Schilling, one of my all-time favorite baseball players (2004 <3), so it is really a no-brainer. Will probably pick this up tomorrow after I check out the Giant Bomb quicklook.

There's a demo to try it out

fuuian

Neo Member
I have found nearly every purple weapon type except for the weapon I actually use; daggers. This blows.

That always happens to me, which is why I went smithing.

Funny, this bow is better than any blue's (haven't seen purple+ bow yet) I've come across and it's green.

SXCBv.jpg

Sorry for the quality, I'm playing it on console. That's +5% ice and piercing, not 15.

Loxley

I heard the demo was kind of shit though? And I am really close to my bandwidth cap this week at res so I don't think I will be able to.

The demo has some bugs and glitches but it's still a relatively fair representation of what Reckoning is all about. There's nothing particularly horrendous about the demo at all, many of us played through it 3-4+ times.

I'm constantly running into inventory trouble. What's all this crap in my items section? Humanoid skull? Key ring? Invoice? Do they do anything or should I just scrap them? Also, when do I get a house to store stuff?

ZZMitch

The demo has some bugs and glitches but it's still a relatively fair representation of what Reckoning is all about. There's nothing particularly horrendous about the demo at all, many of us played through it 3-4+ times.

Oh alright, that's cool. I may wait until next week though because only have a 1.5GB left of internet this week. But I have that new game urge, dunno if I will be able to resist!

scy

I'm constantly running into inventory trouble. What's all this crap in my items section? Humanoid skull? Key ring? Invoice? Do they do anything or should I just scrap them? Also, when do I get a house to store stuff?

Skull and Invoice are just trash most likely; Key Ring is where all the keys you get in the game are auto-stored.

So I got my first piece of purple masterccraft junk, its a birch piece thats purple, but in the crafting screen I can't select it :( Any ideas? do I need all other pieces of it mastercrafted too?

Hm. I haven't seen anything like that barring a piece I got for a quest. How far in are you?

Irnbru

Dont you have to be max rank blacksmith? *I have no clue if you are*

I am, that's why I'm wondering, I got a purple item from salvaging a white item lol

Skull and Invoice are just trash most likely; Key Ring is where all the keys you get in the game are auto-stored.

Hm. I haven't seen anything like that barring a piece I got for a quest. How far in are you?

Just hit lvl 23 around there, maxed out blacksmith, let me get the picture of the item

aYjoj.png

Component for a purple plums, just doesn't want to appear in my crafting stuff when I select to craft, and I am mastercrafting.
Dunno lol

Grinchy

Banned
So I've played this game for like 8 hours since I got it yesterday on Steam. I'm really liking it. Exploring a new area makes me feel like I might actually find something useful. The combat mechanics (for sorcery, at least) are fun and very engaging. I can summon a "pet" and heal myself now, so that's all a big bonus.

This is the kind of game where I'll go to play it for a little while and then I realize I've been playing for hours.

moop1167

I don't get the gear in this game. I have a green staff and a purple one. The purple one has like 10 different damage bonuses and the green has 2. The green one is showing 30 damage rating while the purple is showing 22. So, that means the green is better even though the stats are worse? Makes no sense to me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't get the gear in this game. I have a green staff and a purple one. The purple one has like 10 different damage bonuses and the green has 2. The green one is showing 30 damage rating while the purple is showing 22. So, that means the green is better even though the stats are worse? Makes no sense to me.

The damage bonuses add up to the total. Not counting % bonuses.

Mr. Owl, how many crits to the center of a troll?
2012-02-08_00001.jpg

I tried the demo but when I start a new game I just get a black screen. I can hear all the sound and stuff and can even get to the gameplay by skipping cinematics, but then I still have a black screen with a HUD. I can enter the menu and even move my character though.

Anyone else had this?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I tried the demo but when I start a new game I just get a black screen. I can hear all the sound and stuff and can even get to the gameplay by skipping cinematics, but then I still have a black screen with a HUD. I can enter the menu and even move my character though.

Anyone else had this?

Turn off post processing

Apeboy

Once you get your house inventory problems go away. I've settled into making a handful of quest runs, stop at house, unload, repeat until backpack and house is full then hold a yard sale.

The quest line for the house is
the one that you pick up in Canneroc(sp), the town crawling with spiders. Rescue the out of town leader and he'll give you a key to a house.

Just got a badass dagger called Shine and Shadow from a quest. This has to be the best dagger in the game, it's leagues better than any other weapon I've come across.

scy

Just finished the
retaking of Mel Senshir
. Dear lord. Some tricks to the fights, sure, but not sure if I could have actually done that without some potions. ~300 damage a hit :|

Then the end with, "btw, you have stuff to do back in Detyre you should go do that." So ... maybe I wasn't supposed to do that area first?

Edit: Found trainers that can train your last skill point (9th -> 10th). Damn... Also, vendor gear is getting up to nearly a million gold. My 500k is rather paltry now :|

Just hit lvl 23 around there, maxed out blacksmith, let me get the picture of the item

Component for a purple plums, just doesn't want to appear in my crafting stuff when I select to craft, and I am mastercrafting.
Dunno lol

That's for the quest I referenced. If you're curious as to where it originates:
The Cradle of Summer

So, how's the difficulty on hard if you refrain from using potions entirely? I did that in the DMC games as well as Bayonetta and it severely improved my enjoyment of said games.

Yuripaw

Banned
This really sucks ;_;

Just picked up this game tonight, and popped it in my PS3. Let it install, and got it booted up now...I have a PDP afterglow controller. My DS3 got broke recently, and I didn't have much money at the time, so I bought one of these PDP afterglow controllers, and I've been happy with it. Other than lack of sixaxis, it works great for me.

However, this game is giving me some grief I assume because of my controller. The rumble NEVER stops. It's constantly vibrating even at the title screen, during the narration during the opening cutscene, and character creation so far. I don't know if it'll ever end. This really friggin sucks :(

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there anyway to turn off rumble via the game or ps3 settings?

JambiBum

This really sucks ;_;

Just picked up this game tonight, and popped it in my PS3. Let it install, and got it booted up now...I have a PDP afterglow controller. My DS3 got broke recently, and I didn't have much money at the time, so I bought one of these PDP afterglow controllers, and I've been happy with it. Other than lack of sixaxis, it works great for me.

However, this game is giving me some grief I assume because of my controller. The rumble NEVER stops. It's constantly vibrating even at the title screen, during the narration during the opening cutscene, and character creation so far. I don't know if it'll ever end. This really friggin sucks :(

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there anyway to turn off rumble via the game or ps3 settings?

I think in the game settings there is a setting to turn it off or on. I'm not playing right now though so I can't check.

scy

So, how's the difficulty on hard if you refrain from using potions entirely? I did that in the DMC games as well as Bayonetta and it severely improved my enjoyment of said games.

I can get hairy on some enemy types just due to the damage they deal; some boss fights are pretty nasty (had one deal ~50 to me per swing through my shield, for instance, and the aforementioned ~300 damage a shot guy). Trash enemies are almost always trash unless they get a few swings in.

If you're not using ANY potions, you're stuck with any damage taken then unless you use Regen equipment. Makes even some regular enemy fights at least something to pay attention to.

Yuripaw

Banned
I think in the game settings there is a setting to turn it off or on. I'm not playing right now though so I can't check.

It wasn't in the game settings, but I did find the option to turn off vibration in the PS3 accessory settings...so least I found some sort of fix.

Irnbru

Just finished the
retaking of Mel Senshir
. Dear lord. Some tricks to the fights, sure, but not sure if I could have actually done that without some potions. ~300 damage a hit :|

Then the end with, "btw, you have stuff to do back in Detyre you should go do that." So ... maybe I wasn't supposed to do that area first?

Edit: Found trainers that can train your last skill point (9th -> 10th). Damn... Also, vendor gear is getting up to nearly a million gold. My 500k is rather paltry now :|

That's for the quest I referenced. If you're curious as to where it originates:
The Cradle of Summer

Ah, well that sucks. Was hoping to get to use it lol

Reuenthal

Banned
A few questions.

How long and big is this game? How much time does it take to beat?

How good are the quests, how many are there? Are there way too many like Skyrim?

How big is the game's map?

Does it have good writing? Does it have interesting characters, dialogue?

Dresden

I'm getting bored of mage - dot dot dot with Mark, detonate, rinse and repeat. Ice Barrage or the lightning bolt spell isn't any more interesting.

Think I'll go Finesse.

JambiBum

I can get hairy on some enemy types just due to the damage they deal; some boss fights are pretty nasty (had one deal ~50 to me per swing through my shield, for instance, and the aforementioned ~300 damage a shot guy). Trash enemies are almost always trash unless they get a few swings in.

If you're not using ANY potions, you're stuck with any damage taken then unless you use Regen equipment. Makes even some regular enemy fights at least something to pay attention to.

I have been doing the arena board for the House of Valor since I finished it. Came across a challenge that is a whole lot of sprites. I hate them so god damn much. Went through almost all of my potions. Sprites along with Threshes are by far my least favorite enemies.

scy

Ah, well that sucks. Was hoping to get to use it lol

For what it's worth, you get to keep what you make from it.

I have been doing the arena board for the House of Valor since I finished it. Came across a challenge that is a whole lot of sprites. I hate them so god damn much. Went through almost all of my potions. Sprites along with Threshes are by far my least favorite enemies.

Area I just unlocked had a quest to do some 1v1 duels. First three were nothing but the last ones ... oh my. Single unblocked hit nearly killed me. Not pulling any punches here anymore.

smr00

Banned
So i just got to the "destinies" part where you choose to be a brawler(tank?) Acolyte(mage?) and Rogue.

COMPLETELY torn on what to be, i kind of want to be a rogue but i don't want to have to stealth all the time, if i pick will i eventually be forced to do a lot of stealth? also these shakrams are frigging boss.

Wallach

So i just got to the "destinies" part where you choose to be a brawler(tank?) Acolyte(mage?) and Rogue.

COMPLETELY torn on what to be, i kind of want to be a rogue but i don't want to have to stealth all the time, if i pick will i eventually be forced to do a lot of stealth? also these shakrams are frigging boss.

You can switch between any Destiny you have unlocked at will. Don't stress over it.

scy

You can switch Destinies whenever you want. All they really do are bonuses; choose whichever fits the playstyle you're going after. If you want to change it up, just select a new one via the menu.

matmanx1

KoA is mad fun. Finally got to the point tonight where I was doing stuff I didn't do in the demo and have pretty much decided on a Sorcery/Might build with Hammer and Chakram combo. Playing on Hard is definitely the way to go and I've had some tough fights already but the combat is enaging and great looking at the same time.

I turned on V-sync tonight and it really solved my one and only complaint with the visuals from my first night of play where I was getting some screen tearing. I had heard it adversely effected load times but I can say for sure that it does not and I'm still running just a second or two to load areas on my SSD.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
2012-02-08_00008.jpg

Yup pretty sure every weapon I make from now on will have lighting for it's main effect... well a small side weapon for lighting immune stuff :p

I feel your pain man. I was doing a quest near Vorn's Lodge when I ran into a group of sprites and a couple of champions. Say o shit and try to lay some ice mines as I scurry away.. And end up running into a group of the raptor-esque creatures and a thresh..

They did very bad things to me :'(

Top Bottom