• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

smr00

Banned
You can respec all skills and abilities, as well as change anything about your physical appearance. The only things you can't change are your race, gender and deity choices.
Can you respec from the menu? or do you need to go to a specific place and vendor?

Wallach

Can you respec from the menu? or do you need to go to a specific place and vendor?

You need to find a Fateweaver to respec your skills/abilities. The story guy that unlocked your Destiny cards is the first one you run into, and there's also one near the start in the House of Ballads. There are others scattered around.

ReaperXL7

Disappointing that that's the same Longsword model as some random green LS I picked up around level 3. There's more variety in weapon models later on, right?

Seems like green whites and blues all pull from a material pool that's tiered so those will all look similar to their tired material type all iron look similar, all steel similar etc. Uniques(purple) and golds(set) all seem to be different though and I've seen a lot of different styles in those two catagories. Keep in mind that all of the destiny cards all feature an armor set that is present in the game aswell.

gehrig38

Just back from 7am to 7pm Reckoning free for all at ESPN.

Couple of things.
1) WE HEAR YOU!!! Some think the game is too easy, we hear ya. Spoke a bit with Ian and a few others and there are a couple of things to remember, some, none, all may apply.
A) Lots of you are doing everything, quests wise, which is awesome, but it appears you might be outleveling your areas. Not your fault obviously, but anyone that watched Day9's epic stream might try what he did:) Run as far east as you can at start:) See how far you can make it, you'll get one shotted not long in:)
B) Nightmare mode may be an option (I CANNOT tell you guys what the team will decide patch wise nor will I ever) but we are 24 hours past launch. As you get into the game, and remember 'just getting out of Dalentarth' means there's about 9/10ths of the world yet to see.
2) SO stoked to hear the game is running with few to no bugs for most, as I have had the same experience, no bugs yet.
3) I am restarting, hard mode, and going Finesse/Sorcery, I have, HAVE to use Chakrams.
4) If you do find a bug please let us know in as much detail as you can.
5) Those of you not getting into the lore, or that want to but aren't feeling it, I would urge you, if you want, to talk and use all the dialogue options with our NPC's and the lorestones, we've put a CRAP ton of the Amalur history in there.
A) I said on our official forums I am playing this game with a steno pad, totally true! I am noting names, and places, monsters etc., just like when I read the Game of Thrones, to keep the lore, and people straight. I am doing that and I own the fargin company. It's that deep and that involved, and that FLESHED OUT! If you are a story lore person, I promise you it's there.

Thanks again for all of you, good comments and bad, we're listening and we'll do what we can to maintain and improve the player experience in EVERYTHING we do.

P.S. Whomever made that keybind mod a few pages back, you're awesome.

Curt

P.S.S. You guys do know that some books in the game can grant permanent skill ups right?

Wallach

Cool to hear, Curt. Nightmare mode and maybe that camera patch and I think this game will be pretty much the bees knees.

Any word on that day 1 DLC coming to PC (the weapon/armor packs)?

Just patch the normal difficulty and give all of the enemies slightly more health and slightly better armor.

2 and a half hours in and I have a laundry list of enchanted weapons allowing me to cut through enemies like grass. I hope it gets more difficult.

Dresden

Couple of things.
1) WE HEAR YOU!!! Some think the game is too easy, we hear ya. Spoke a bit with Ian and a few others and there are a couple of things to remember, some, none, all may apply

B) Nightmare mode may be an option (I CANNOT tell you guys what the team will decide patch wise nor will I ever) but we are 24 hours past launch. As you get into the game, and remember 'just getting out of Dalentarth' means there's about 9/10ths of the world yet to see.

That is totally awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I would like to be able to (at least) walk around with the zoomed camera...

Also... the velocity is an annoyance for players like me who want to control the camera at all times. I'm often having to fight it. It feels like lag, even though it isn't. If this thing was a toggle option, that'd be just great.

ElyrionX

So I'm currently working towards a Shadowcaster build. At level 7, it feels underwhelming. With Mysterious Toxins supposedly not being too effective, I see little to get excited about in the Finesse tree unless you work towards the top tier passives which would switch the build to a Spellcloak. Faeblades and Daggers also feel weak at the moment and seem to rely excessively on getting abilities in the Finesse tree (crits and bleed) in order to really shine.

As it stands, I'm considering re-speccing to a pure Sorcery build. The spells seem really powerful right now and chakrams are amazing to use.

Tendo

What skills are the best for leveling? I'm making a sorc/might character and so far I've thrown some points towards sagecraft. I like making stuff so I started with that. Should I also go blacksmithing? I'M SO CONFUSED.

Fletcher

I think a lock on function during battle (i have no idea how diffuclt this would be to implement through patch) would make a world of difference during battle.

Muskweeto

The only thing about the camera that bothers me is how it repositions itself behind you if you don't move it for a while. It creates problems when I'm hiding behind something and trying to keep an eye on the enemies.

smr00

Banned
Anyone know where to buy potions in the first town? sorry for the stupid question i just can't seem to find a vendor that is selling them.

Reposting my help videos for all the new guys

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Tips and Tricks videos for new players!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ol9uAkgO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adTi3masn-4

You've plugged this on like every page, man.

Enjoying the game a lot more now, twelve or so hours in now. I wish I could be crafting some more stuff because I live for that, but I assume I'll start finding more/better mats soon so I can make the baller-est Greatsword possible.

Dresden

Also, I unlocked Blink via the Sage destiny card and it feels bad. Rolling felt faster, and better. Am I missing something?

smr00

Banned
When you first come into Gorhart from the intro area, it's the first building on the left.
Thanks!

Last question for the night i promise LOL

Are the round blades viable for rogues? or as a rogue are you restricted to daggers? cause i got a purple shakram? does 27, my daggers do like 15.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Loving the game today, was a bit bummed with it yesterday but I respeced and picked up detect hidden and changed my might tree. Finally starting to get some gear to drop (was getting mostly magic/theif stuff).

I Need more bag space! Only fount 1 vendor upgrade so far.

Irnbru

Also, I unlocked Blink via the Sage destiny card and it feels bad. Rolling felt faster, and better. Am I missing something?

It takes time to get used to it, at least it did for more, it allows you to more strategically place your location, but yeah, it sucked for me at first, but as I got used to it, I liked it more

Wallach

I think it is the same (though double Blinking feels faster than double rolling). The bigger advantage is that you pass through, and change position instantly.

Thanks!

Last question for the night i promise LOL

Are the round blades viable for rogues? or as a rogue are you restricted to daggers? cause i got a purple shakram? does 27, my daggers do like 15.

You'll need points in Sorcery to really make chakram viable long term. If you are going pure Finesse chakram will fall behind any of the weapons you have specializations for.

Xilium

I believe it was mentioned on the official forums that the camera would be getting additional menu options in an upcoming patch, for those still disappointed with the camera system.

I'm only just now starting the game (loads of homework kept me from it) but I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there a way to switch targets while aiming the bow?

It's kind of awkward... but you just try and move the right stick toward the target you wish to switch to while the bow is drawn. Sometimes it works. Other times it doesn't.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm very tempted to hit the 'purchase' button on Steam. I need something to occupy me for the next two weeks until the Vita is out. I liked what I played of the demo, but I'm not sure if the setting will grab me. Someone talk me down/push me over the edge.

Fuck it, bought. Sucks the file size is so big, though, it's gonna be a couple hours before I can play.

Hawk269

Couple of things.
1) WE HEAR YOU!!! Some think the game is too easy, we hear ya. Spoke a bit with Ian and a few others and there are a couple of things to remember, some, none, all may apply.
A) Lots of you are doing everything, quests wise, which is awesome, but it appears you might be outleveling your areas. Not your fault obviously, but anyone that watched Day9's epic stream might try what he did:) Run as far east as you can at start:) See how far you can make it, you'll get one shotted not long in:)
2) SO stoked to hear the game is running with few to no bugs for most, as I have had the same experience, no bugs yet.
3) I am restarting, hard mode, and going Finesse/Sorcery, I have, HAVE to use Chakrams.
4) If you do find a bug please let us know in as much detail as you can.
5) Those of you not getting into the lore, or that want to but aren't feeling it, I would urge you, if you want, to talk and use all the dialogue options with our NPC's and the lorestones, we've put a CRAP ton of the Amalur history in there.
A) I said on our official forums I am playing this game with a steno pad, totally true! I am noting names, and places, monsters etc., just like when I read the Game of Thrones, to keep the lore, and people straight. I am doing that and I own the fargin company. It's that deep and that involved, and that FLESHED OUT! If you are a story lore person, I promise you it's there.

Thanks again for all of you, good comments and bad, we're listening and we'll do what we can to maintain and improve the player experience in EVERYTHING we do.

P.S. Whomever made that keybind mod a few pages back, you're awesome.

Curt

P.S.S. You guys do know that some books in the game can grant permanent skill ups right?

Thanks for the post Curt. We appreciate that you and the team are looking into our concerns and hopefully things will be fixed/changed and most of all improved.

Muskweeto

It's kind of awkward... but you just try and move the right stick toward the target you wish to switch to while the bow is drawn. Sometimes it works. Other times it doesn't.

huh, OK, thanks.

Edit:
Yep, you can move to have it switch. You'll lock on, pretty much always, to the closest in range target (which can present an issue or two if there are unbroken crates nearby:)

That's what I thought, I was just wondering if there was a toggle target button that I wasn't thinking of. I love my rogue using daggers and bows but every so often I want to hit someone behind the closest target to give me more time to pull off a chain of attacks on the closer enemy without being hit by someone else.

gehrig38

I'm very tempted to hit the 'purchase' button on Steam. I need something to occupy me for the next two weeks until the Vita is out. I liked what I played of the demo, but I'm not sure if the setting will grab me. Someone talk me down/push me over the edge.

Fuck it, bought. Sucks the file size is so big, though, it's gonna be a couple hours before I can play.

Snuggler, if you like lore and story read through the dialogue trees:) If not, just start hitting X, some Y and some B and beating the snot out of stuff.

Hope it ends up taking more than the next two weeks of your life and thanks for the purchase dude.

Wallach

The setting is actually really strong, if you ask me. If anything the intro area is actually too big (you can easily spend 10+ hours there) which I think gives people the wrong impression.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Out of pots? Hard fight with a miniboss and 2 orange shaman helpers...... FUCK IT I'M AN ALCHEMIST TOO YOU DOUCHEBAGS TIME TO POP ALL MY POSITIVE BUFF POTS AND HIT THAT RECKONING MODE.
2012-02-08_00010.jpg

bounchfx

Qis that's awesome.. I hope you won.

I'm about 5 hours in now myself. BARELY finished the content in the Gorhart bubble, did 2 quests outside of it, now meeting Agarth in Ettinmere. Crikey there's a lot of quests!

scy

So I'm currently working towards a Shadowcaster build. At level 7, it feels underwhelming. With Mysterious Toxins supposedly not being too effective, I see little to get excited about in the Finesse tree unless you work towards the top tier passives which would switch the build to a Spellcloak. Faeblades and Daggers also feel weak at the moment and seem to rely excessively on getting abilities in the Finesse tree (crits and bleed) in order to really shine.

As it stands, I'm considering re-speccing to a pure Sorcery build. The spells seem really powerful right now and chakrams are amazing to use.

Finesse is a bit slow to start, to be honest. Envenomed Edge is a huge boon early on as it adds a lot of damage. By the teens, though, you should be doing pretty well for yourself with just that and Chakrams. Eventually, it's just a lot of mass death.

I'm waiting to find more trainers so I can do a respec and grabbing all the trainers run but I'll see what those top tier Abilities are like. The stun seems really nice but I'm not as sure about the damage proc on bleeds anymore. I mean, the damage is pretty small when enemies have thousands of HP ... :|

Also going to switch to Daggers/Chakram and see how that's like. Been Faeblades all game so far and it should be a nice change of pace. Maybe.

Irnbru

Anyone else having issues with motioninjoy? I can't seem to get the keyboard to work while Im using the ps3 controller on the pc :/

In The House of Valor, after a particularly tough fight against a team of gladiators who used every weapon type efficiently, My favorite Crow teamate (The drunken mage chica) Tells me she noticed i "flinched" when i when struck by an enemy attack..

as if i was "in pain", and recommends drinking.. to help me feel nothing at all so that i'll never get hurt again.. the lines were delivered perfectly, as if she felt like she was giving me helpful advice but i felt sorrow for her, and got really attached to her character..wishing she could be a follower even if she wasn't all that useful in combat.. to think those who don't preorder will miss out on her drunken rambling (Helga swanwhite i think her name is) in the Arena questline..

Einbroch

Banned
Anyone else having issues with motioninjoy? I can't seem to get the keyboard to work while Im using the ps3 controller on the pc :/

Side note, but MotioninJoy is such a piece of shit. It DESTROYS all bluetooth USB adapters unless you uninstall the driver completely from your machine.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol, this game

That Alyn Shur chick, or however its spelled. There's scantily clad elven chicks...and then there is this character. At some point, its just comical lol.

Khezu

Pretty much going to play the entire game nude, well in peasant clothes, and kite things with a bow and frost traps and smoke bombs.

scy

I remember it being mentioned that the Her Righteous Fury quest was bugged. Just finished it on PC without a hitch so ... either it's not bugged for PC or I just managed to not do whatever caused it to lock up.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, I definitely think that the look of the game is definitely one of my favorite things about it.

Playing it on PC at max, and obviously its not a powerhouse but I think it looks wonderful, just the right balance of cartoon and realism in design, not to mention the colors, and it all looks so vibrant.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Respec is a good choice for those who want it but... am I the only person who doesn't like using it? Making my character feels "inconsistent." Immediately transforming from a brute warrior to an archmage in a flash seems.... jarring.

Not to mention it reduces value in skills like Blacksmithing. What's there to stop a player to make as much master craft level equipments and then respec the points he/she invested in it to another skill? Makes the whole reward/risk thing in making your choice almost meaningless...

Top Bottom