• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Bounty: Armored Princess Official Thread – Standalone-expansion/Sequel

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fragamemnon said:
There's an option to accelerate all the combat animations in the option menu. Once it is set to fast, then the combat moves at a brisk pace.
The hell? i read this readers review from gamefaqs (lolz) like a year ago http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/R133640.html and it apparently has no such option.:lol: guess i should never trust a review from gfaqs i say. Unless that review is old, and they changed it in a patch.

larvi said:
I see that Gamersgate supports a gifting so maybe I can do that for my mom. How does Gamersgate work? Does it require installation of a client like steam or is it just a matter of creating an account to log on and download and install the game then after that she can use it normally i.e. run it from program files.

You log into the website, download an executable that is basically a very small downloading app for the game's install files. Once it is downloaded, it installs and runs quite literally like it was from the disc install. The serial number for the game is on the same area as the downloader link, along with download links for the manual and any patches. It's pretty painless and there's no featureless social networking effort involved like in competitor's products.

The hell? i read this readers review from gamefaqs (lolz) like a year ago http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...w/R133640.html and it apparently has no such option.: guess i should never trust a review from gfaqs i say. Unless that review is old, and they changed it in a patch.

That option was definitely there in the original, given that the first thing I noticed when playing the AP demo was that "hey, battle animations are slow? I need to change that option!".

Going back to classes for a bit-I think they are actually pretty well balanced overall. I think the big issue is that the game is MUCH rougher on you at the start-basically the difficultly curve assumes you have played KB:TL to some degree, which, combined with some unrelated rebalancing, makes some classes get through the early game better. Note also that the earlier levels definitely do seem to be the hardest in the game so far (I'm in the 30s now), and that many of the things you mess up on or do sloppily in KB:TL will now trash your game if you keep doing them in AP.

Yaweee

Gamersgate is actually my favorite download and DRM system of the various DD services.

Basically, entering your username and password on the site allows you to access your game page. It has an entry for each game you've bought, showing the Box, Product Key, and links to the installer, any patches, and a pdf of the instructions. The installer handles everything else, eventually giving you a box to copy-paste the Key into. Beyond that, there's nothing to worry about. The game is just installed on your computer and functions like any other game with a no-CD patch.

By my understanding, you don't even need to GIFT it to your mom. You can create a username and password, buy the stuff, then give the username and password to your mom to access the downloader.

EDIT: Like Frag said, the downside to GamersGate is that downloads take 3~4 times as long as they would take on Steam, at least with my connection.

Yeah, you could honestly just take the downloaded installer files from the microdownloader app, burn them to a DVD, and then drop it in the mail with a serial number if you wanted.

So painless and awesome. If only thy would get better pipes to the USA.

Des0lar said:
Really hope there is a Steam Holiday Sale on the first one.

Gamersgate and 1C are running a game-a-day sale for 1C titles all month. I'll bump this thread if KB:TL or KB:AP (or even the gold version) come up. Provided you aren't some sort of OCD steamthing the discount should be really substantial.

Playing through The Legend now. I remember reading one of the LTTP threads and being intrigued, but ultimately forgetting about it for one reason or another. I've been struggling to surmount the 5 year backlog of games I've been building, and I'm getting quite close to being satisfied there, so it is nice to have something to play on the side like this.

I do have a feeling that 50 hours is a bit too long for this particular game as well as this method of playing it, however.

Man at the text though. It's been entirely too long since I've played a game like this, and I am not accustomed to it at all.

Yaweee

I updated the OP with some more reviews. Most are clustered in the 80s. There's only one genuinely negative review out there, which is RPGamer's. Three of her four bulleted complaints amount to the game being way too hard, even on Easy.

Also, somebody created a character page that lets you see the effects of customizing your character of any class and level with any combination of army, talents, and equipment. Spoilers in terms of what type of equipment and units are in the game, I guess.
www.celestialheavens.com/kingsbounty/hs-en.htm

I'm about half way through the game at this point (clearing Montero) and I agree with some of the reviwers comments, even the negative review you posted. The game does try to cover up for some of KB:TL's most exploitable/gamey player behaviors, but in the process seems to force players down an even narrower path of actual choices (and those choices get even fewer as you play on harder difficulties). Most of the troops you run into are really bad and are not usable in any situation-to do so would invite disaster as losses mount up and deplete your finances. You wind up going for specific troop types or beelining certain skills to outpace the difficultly curve in the game, which is even steeper than that in the first title (though it's not uniform-early on there is a huge difficultly spike and then it ramps down).

I still think it's an exceptional game despite those complaints, but then again I don't mind hard challenge in my games. Armored Princess is made for King's Bounty players first and PC strategy gamers second, and if you're going to jump right into the sequel you better be ready for some forum reading or on the job training, especially if you don't play it on easy. (n.b. , as mentioned before I am playing on hard).

syllogism

I'm a bit late to the King's Bounty train as I didn't play Legend. The game is pretty amazing, though a bit too long. My first game was as a mage on hard, but after realizing I wasn't going to replay the game I restarted as a warrior on impossible and went for the no casualties challenge. It gets a bit tedious and repetitive, but pretty doable and even easy early on as you are pretty much forced to go on a map thieving spree which will net you maybe hundreds of thousands of gold and quite a few levels.

2iuljd.jpg
e6r2xf.jpg

Black knights are probably the best unit in the game, especially if you manage to get all the right items. With the ones I have their leadership cost was only 98 and there's an item that boosts their attack by 10 and makes them always retaliate. Basically paladins without resurrection but otherwise much more powerful.

Llyranor

10 bucks on Steam today only.

Worth picking up without having touched the first game? Can the first game be skipped altogether (well, I know it can, but it's more a question of 'should I?' rather than 'can I?')?

Doytch

Llyranor said:
10 bucks on Steam today only.

Worth picking up without having touched the first game? Can the first game be skipped altogether (well, I know it can, but it's more a question of 'should I?' rather than 'can I?')?
From what I've heard it'll kick your ass if you haven't played the first game. But I figure it shouldn't be horrendous if you play on easy, or normal. Pretty sure you can change the difficulty throughout the game. <-- See below

turnbuckle

Dang, just picked up both games a couple of days ago for $30-35ish. Haven't had a chance to try either out yet, but I will soon :D

Yaweee

Doytch said:
From what I've heard it'll kick your ass if you haven't played the first game. But I figure it shouldn't be horrendous if you play on easy, or normal. Pretty sure you can change the difficulty throughout the game.

You can't change the difficulty midgame. It is part of the endgame "score", and also changes some things like level growth rate that wouldn't transfer easily.

Sloegr

The $10 deal is very nice. I'm thinking of just skipping KB:TL for now and jumping into AP. Is AP a more refined game?

vazel

Banned
I'm not getting the first game but got this one with the steam deal. I don't mind not going through the training of playing the first game. I welcome difficulty. Gamers these days get too flustered over a good challenge.

Sloegr

vazel said:
I'm not getting the first game but got this one with the steam deal. I don't mind not going through the training of playing the first game. I welcome difficulty. Gamers these days get too flustered over a good challenge.

I'm with you on that. Well, in single player games anyway :lol

desverger

So I managed to find *one* recruitable green dragon so far. In the orc treasury in Rusty Anchor. Anyone know where to find more?

desverger said:
So I managed to find *one* recruitable green dragon so far. In the orc treasury in Rusty Anchor. Anyone know where to find more?

There's a lair where you can recruit 20 or so on Elon. They don't hand out Dragons at all early game, and really Green Dragons are only good if you combo their pull ability off with trap or something.

desverger

Fragamemnon said:
There's a lair where you can recruit 20 or so on Elon. They don't hand out Dragons at all early game, and really Green Dragons are only good if you combo their pull ability off with trap or something.

Ah, okay. As a part of my strategy to get the no losses-medal (currently 31/50) I've been recruiting lots of high leadership creatures that have a ton of hp and good defense. Trolls during night coupled with the Target spell is almost hilarious, for one. Currently I have Cyclops, Trolls and Ancient Vampires (for drain life).

The idea about pull and trap is a good one, though. Didn't think of that :p

Trap totally drains the AP of the target too. So you can use it for damage+single target control since Dragons have such nutso initiative. I do think that the pull thing only works once every other turn though, I didn't use Emeralds this playthrough so I don't remember.

Reds and Blacks are much, much nastier in AP now that they changed the way that burns/poisons work. You can do some hella mean damage with them.

OK so I bought armoured princess in the steam sale, should I pick up the first? I know it's on sale for 20USD atm, but I'll probably wait till steam sale is near over in case the first one goes on sale also even further, but is it worth it... or is it not really that connected/I won't lose out on much by not having it?

desverger

teacupcopter said:
OK so I bought armoured princess in the steam sale, should I pick up the first? I know it's on sale for 20USD atm, but I'll probably wait till steam sale is near over in case the first one goes on sale also even further, but is it worth it... or is it not really that connected/I won't lose out on much by not having it?

They're both huge games. I would recommend playing armored princess first, you don't really lose out on the story or anything. If you still want more of the same, buy the first one after.

The only thing you would gain from the first one is knowledge of the troops and strategies and such. There's a lot of it!

neonglow

Since people were praising this game in the Steam sale thread, I tried out the demo. Having not played HOMM, I am completely lost. The demo doesn't provide any tutorial that I could find.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anyone having trouble running Armored Princess at 16:9? I'm getting black bars on both sides, it's really ruining my experience. :(

Splatt

Lyphen said:
Anyone having trouble running Armored Princess at 16:9? I'm getting black bars on both sides, it's really ruining my experience. :(

I can't even start the game at 16:9. Gives me an error. I had to edit the .ini file and change the resolution manually in order to play the game.

Yaweee

Lyphen said:

Yeah, resolutions in the game are fucked. I got a widescreen monitor and running the game now either has a performance drop or very ugly stretching.

Before all this, I had to run it on an older monitor at some point. If the resolution in the .ini file saved from the last time you played isn't supported by the monitor you are on, you'll have to go in and change it manually. It's annoying, but fixable.

desverger

Slowly working through this game. It's great to play it a few battles at a time, and open each island bit by bit.

My game was sped up quite a lot after I managed to snuck in Sheterra and plucked a few Red Dragon eggs from the ground, while running away from the 'invincible' rated enemy packs in there :lol

Also, HeroScreen!!!

desverger

Pulled through yesterday - good fun, good fun! My only gripe was that it ended, and that I was pretty much using the same units for the latter half of the game.

Was level 52 (mage) in the end, with an abysmal score since I took ages sailing between the islands and back, buying reinforcements since I never wanted to go fighting with even one casualty :p

Went with demons in the end, it was easy enough with the demon set giving massive boosts. Especially with Demetrius giving -20% leadership reqs to demons. I think my base crit rate was around 73% :lol

Oh and dragons in the last boss are pretty much useless, even if they were my favourite units in the game. Oh well, phantoming Archdemons made it a walk in the park! Phantom + Fit of Energy made me pour around 20k damage to the boss in a round, assuming I had 3 phantoms up.

I did preorder this game a while ago, but did not have time until now.

However I am having problems making the game work. I have Windows 7 home preinstalled on this laptop, pretty sure the specs are decent enough as this isn't a tech savvy game. Has anyone encountered problems with running this game on their windows 7?

I have been using gamersgate, and tried to reinstall it several times but the game won't boot up. Would be nice if anyone could give any tips. Want to desperately play this game.

Yaweee

Seeing the deal in Steam ($10 Gold, $3.25 TL, and $7.50 AP) got me to go back to my old save file and push through. I was 5/8ths done on Hard, and it didn't take me long to pretty much clear all of the quests and kill the last few bosses (which were a giant bitch, by the way).

I've already started a new game as a Paladin, this time with the New Year's Item Mod installed. I got lucky with unguarded sea charts and was able to make it to two islands before having to do my first real battle.

Since it wasn't announced anywhere on GAF, I might as well post it here. New (stand-alone) expansion announced for later this year.
King’s Bounty: Crossworlds features:

· 2 brand new campaigns:
Champion of the Arena with boss battles in a gladiatorial tournament
Defender of the Crown with battles in unique tactical arenas with a random selection of enemies and allies).

· Massive expansion of the original King’s Bounty: Armored Princess – Orcs on the March, featuring new units, spells and quests. (OP: I'm guessing a mod that is applied to AP, like the New Year's patch that actually contained some of the new units hidden in the data?)

· Game Editor for King’s Bounty: Armored Princess.

Bisonian

Yaweee said:
Seeing the deal in Steam ($10 Gold, $3.25 TL, and $7.50 AP) got me to go back to my old save file and push through. I was 5/8ths done on Hard, and it didn't take me long to pretty much clear all of the quests and kill the last few bosses (which were a giant bitch, by the way).

I've already started a new game as a Paladin, this time with the New Year's Item Mod installed. I got lucky with unguarded sea charts and was able to make it to two islands before having to do my first real battle.

Since it wasn't announced anywhere on GAF, I might as well post it here. New (stand-alone) expansion announced for later this year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396230

Bisonian

Yaweee said:
Ah, shit, thread was born and dead within 2 hours while I was on vacation. That explains it.

There are quite a few English language screenshots out now, so hopefully that is a sign that the gap between the Russian and English versions will be shorter than the previous games.

Honestly, if I wasn't such a big fan of the series (I've actually got AP running in the background heh), I probably would have missed the Crossworlds thread as well. I'm a little worried that it sounds very light on content but I'm still anxious for more nonetheless.

Thanks for the info on the english translation process, good to know they are keeping us in their thoughts.

Yaweee

Bisonian said:
Honestly, if I wasn't such a big fan of the series (I've actually got AP running in the background heh), I probably would have missed the Crossworlds thread as well. I'm a little worried that it sounds very light on content but I'm still anxious for more nonetheless.

Thanks for the info on the english translation process, good to know they are keeping us in their thoughts.

I guess it all depends on how extensive the new campaigns are, and what exactly the "expansion" part is. Either way, the presence of a campaign editor seems great.

And info from English press releases:
· 70 new items, 8 new item sets, including one for the pet dragon and 3 component artifacts.
· 50 new abilities and skills.
· 13 new spells.
... So at least comparable to what was added in AP in terms.

And a list (at least partial) of new units, some of which have data entries in the New Year's patch/mod that was released for AP:
  • Orc Mage
  • Orc Tracker
  • Goblin Shaman
  • Blood Shaman
  • Witch Hunter
  • Rune Mage (Rank 5 human unit)
  • Faun
  • Inferno Dragon
  • Some new kind of Alchemist
  • Pirate Ghost

30dfcbp.jpg

2nrh9nr.jpg

It looks like a placeholder for the main character. Many of the screenshots show the same model in the same pose.

FAKE EDIT: Should I revive the announcement thread, instead of posting this stuff here?

AEREC

Quick Question for those who have played both The Legend and Armored Princess:

Im currently playing through The Legend right now with a Paladin whose named I changed, when you play Armored Princess is she still looking for Bill Gilbert (the choosable warrior class from the first game)? Does it import your save from The Legend so that the names at least match up?

I know it's a minor detail but it would just feel odd to play the first game with a custom character and then have the second one not match up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AEREC said:
Quick Question for those who have played both The Legend and Armored Princess:

Im currently playing through The Legend right now with a Paladin whose named I changed, when you play Armored Princess is she still looking for Bill Gilbert (the choosable warrior class from the first game)? Does it import your save from The Legend so that the names at least match up?

I know it's a minor detail but it would just feel odd to play the first game with a custom character and then have the second one not match up.

It's always Bill Gilbert.

Top Bottom