• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King's Bounty: Armored Princess Official Thread – Standalone-expansion/Sequel

Spruce Moose said:
Have they fixed/changed the quest tracking?

That was one of my biggest beefs with the first game.

Same here.

Half the time I had no idea where to go to complete the quest. With what seems like across the board improvements on the first, hopefully they fixed the games biggest issue.

Yaweee

Joseph Merrick said:
what was wrong with the quest tracking in kb:tl? never had any problems there

No sort option, and way too many quests for a single-column scroll menu. Some were way too high level for you at any given time, and others were too low of a level to be worth doing.

Yaweee

Gamersgate is having a sale on the TL to coincide with the sequel's release:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KB/kings-bounty-the-legend
$12.50

Armored Princess is available for pre-loading now, takes around 4 hours (somewhere between 100 ~ 200 KB/s. I guess your registration for the code isn't made available until the official release date. I have no idea what time that is for Gamersgate.

Yaweee

Sorry to triple post, but the game is effectively out now; Serials have been added to your account page on Gamersgate if you've bought it.

epmode

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even heard about KB: The Legend it if it wasn't for GAF. Aside from some difficulty and balance issues, I *loved* it. I'm so buying this one.

it's up now. serials and all.

Yaweee said:
Sorry to triple post, but the game is effectively out now; Serials have been added to your account page on Gamersgate if you've bought it.
edit: oh. didn't see this post

Yaweee

Nif said:
Up on steam already :D

And 35.99, whereas Gamersgate is back up to the usual price of 39.99 (though TL is still on sale for 12.50)

I'm not sure whether the Steam version works with mods. There's not that many out for the game, though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I can't afford this game right now, but I will grab it as soon as I get the money. One thing I LOVED about the demo is that achievements give tangible benefits. I wish more games did that.

I look forward to impressions from the bold/cash bearing GAF members. I'll have to wait until it pops up on a big sale down the line just like I did with the first one on Gamersgate. :lol

Archie said:
I can't afford this game right now, but I will grab it as soon as I get the money. One thing I LOVED about the demo is that achievements give tangible benefits. I wish more games did that.
oh yeah, what other game did that? borderlands? torchlight?

Yaweee

And Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.

-

Goddamn Gamersgate paused my download while I was at work. Fuckers.

Yaweee said:
No sort option, and way too many quests for a single-column scroll menu. Some were way too high level for you at any given time, and others were too low of a level to be worth doing.
ah ok. I guess I just did them from the top down and didn't ever notice this. I was going to do them all anyway.

Yaweee

Starting the game, I can already notice a few very nice changes:

- You start with two reserve slots. No need for the Reserves talent.
- The first thing you do, basically, is to get the Baby Dragon.
- Quests give a lot more exp.
- Archers and Footmen automatically have the skills that used to require the Warrior talents.
- If you are much stronger than the enemy (to the point where a battle would be trivial) you have the opportunity of skipping a fight when you make contact, and just collecting anything you would have gotten from the battle.
- Most quests are Bounties/Contracts, where you're given a description of your target a portrait of them. You collect your reward instantly when you kill them, clearing up your quest log.

Nif

I chose the red dragon, and I'm using rage to get my dragon to do a super powerful attack just about every round. It's been a while since I played the original, but if I recall, the rage chest summons could only be used once per fight. It makes playing a Warrior class much easier, for sure. Abilities also recharge after so many rounds, which I don't remember being in The Legend. Overall it's a bit easier, I'd say, but I am only playing on Normal difficulty.

Davidion

Nif said:
I chose the red dragon, and I'm using rage to get my dragon to do a super powerful attack just about every round. It's been a while since I played the original, but if I recall, the rage chest summons could only be used once per fight. It makes playing a Warrior class much easier, for sure. Abilities also recharge after so many rounds, which I don't remember being in The Legend. Overall it's a bit easier, I'd say, but I am only playing on Normal difficulty.

The rage chests monsters had individual cooldown timers. Provided the fight lasts so long, you can use them as many times as the time allows.

Yaweee

Nif said:

Like Davidion said, each Rage Chest demon had its own rest timer, whereas the Baby Dragon's skills are mostly just 1 Rest. What skill are you using that's so powerful? The chain lightning and Butt Stomp were fantastic in the demo.

For unit skills, the recharge time varies from skill to skill, just like it did in The Legend. The distinction here is that a few more abilities appear to have recharges that used to be X uses per battle in TL, and the recharge time for some other skills has been reduced.

So far, Hard mode is substantially more difficult than Hard mode was in The Legend, at least up to where I am on the 2nd and 3rd islands. It's like I'm at the point in TL's Impossible where I'm scrounging for fights to hopefully get enough money or exp to kill the enemies blocking some map pieces just so I can make progress; I am one enemy away from each of four maps to new islands, but they're all "impossible" or "lethal" (and if that, just barely, and rarely enough for me to actually win). I am 100% finished with the first island, but I'm still struggling on both of the new islands I have available. Currently level 7, ~900 Leadership. Almost broke.

I might restart as a new class (currently a Mage). The costs and repositioning of the skill trees have hurt them the most, which was probably a bit necessary.

EDIT: I had skipped the tutorial; do you get anything good from it?

Nif

I'm using Crushing Blow, it does around 150 damage for 5 rage, while my largest units were doing less than 50. :lol Since I've leveled up a bit, it's not as stupidly powerful, but still makes reducing larger enemy units much easier and the battles a lot safer.

The ability to dig up chests is helpful when you have thieves, too. I've been getting 200-1000 gold from those.

Tutorial doesn't give anything too great, I think I got a sword with +1 attack.

Yaweee

Nif said:
I'm using Crushing Blow, it does around 150 damage for 5 rage, while my largest units were doing less than 50. :lol Since I've leveled up a bit, it's not as stupidly powerful, but still makes reducing larger enemy units much easier and the battles a lot safer.

The ability to dig up chests is helpful when you have thieves, too. I've been getting 200-1000 gold from those.

Tutorial doesn't give anything too great, I think I got a sword with +1 attack.

Ah, yes, I had the same point. Crushing Blow does a lot of damage, and it remains useful if you level it, but it isn't much better than an attack, fire arrows, or any other use of rage. At least not yet. Butt Stomp, however, changes everything. I'm just praying I get that level up soon.

Damn, that 20/40/60% exp boost for my dragon on the Warrior tree is sounding appealing right now.

Mages are rougher in this game because they get far, far less leadership to work with compared to the other classes. So far my Paladin on Impossible is doing very well, trying to get the early medal bonuses ASAP.

Another really amazing effort by Katauri. Getting sucked back into KB (I played The Legend twice) has been completely effortless.

mclem

Out of interest, I've been thinking about picking up the original; could I buy it on GamersGate then use that serial to unlock it on Steam? It's rather cheaper on the former, but it's rather more convenient to have everything on Steam.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
mclem said:
Out of interest, I've been thinking about picking up the original; could I buy it on GamersGate then use that serial to unlock it on Steam? It's rather cheaper on the former, but it's rather more convenient to have everything on Steam.
Nope. The best you could do would be to add a Non Steam game to your account and boot it from there.

Yaweee

I got past the hump I was discussing in my previous post; I was able to stealth part of the third island to get a bunch of flags, which made me strong enough to just barely start toppling some of the harder enemies, which opened up two more islands and let me raid some more. About seven hours in, just got the first Gem.

Mages are rougher in this game because they get far, far less leadership to work with compared to the other classes. So far my Paladin on Impossible is doing very well, trying to get the early medal bonuses ASAP.

Does the amount of leadership on level up depend on your class? I'm not noticing a difference from the demo.

BTW, if you are looking for the original for cheap, the US download speeds on Gamersgate were actually halfway decent respectable yesterday (> 200kB/s to the US on cable) and the game download isn't huge. It's far from the Steam/Impulse connection-saturating speeds but it wasn't painful to download yesterday at all.

And yeah, one of the huge differences between the character classes is the max leadership you get. A warrior will generally have twice the leadership of a mage, all other things being equal. One of the big things to strive for early on is the leadership bonuses from the no-casualty fight medals.

Yaweee

Fragamemnon said:
One of the big things to strive for early on is the leadership bonuses from the no-casualty fight medals.

Yeah, I didn't plan ahead and kind of missed the boat on that medal. I only have 7 no casualty fights so far =(

With my next level I'm going to start Ranking my Chaos magic, so hopefully I can knock out the enemy Archers early enough to not take 1 loss each fight.

Impossible is really fun so far-you're always basically one bad fight away from total disaster and never have enough money to even buy gear at first. I think it will lighten up a bit around level 12-13 or so, but until then it's been very difficult, but in a very good sort of way.

Playing as a paladin-I'm not going to resort to 100% resurrection spam and cheese my way through the game later on, but I never played a Paladin in KB:TL so I wanted to give it a try here in AP.

Yaweee

For a while, I thought I was genuinely stuck. I actually restarted as a Warrior just to see how different things were (hint: do the tutorial, even if you know how to play. It is shorter than TL's tutorial, and gives you some equipment, spells, and exp to start off with.)

Fortunately, I realized that I could make it through a huge gauntlet of enemies on Verona, thus making it to the bridge to Montero, which netted me two more maps to boot. I'm not screwed anymore, but there's no doubt that this is a much harder game than The Legend.

EDIT: What is resurrection spamming?

larvi

Anyone know where I can get a disc copy of this game? Amazon doesn't have it from what I can find. My mom loved the original and I would like to get this for her for Christmas and download won't work for her (She's 75 and I'm over 1000 miles away so I can't dl and install it for her.)

larvi said:
Anyone know where I can get a disc copy of this game? Amazon doesn't have it from what I can find. My mom loved the original and I would like to get this for her for Christmas and download won't work for her (She's 75 and I'm over 1000 miles away so I can't dl and install it for her.)

Sadly there is no US retail release yet. :( Gamersgate pretty much ships what is on the disc normally though-did anyone buy it through them (I went Impulse this time) and can comment? Talk about an awesome mom!

Anyway restarted on hard. Impossible difficultly requires repeated use of degenerate tactics to win, and is dreadfully boring as such. Not recommended.

Yaweee

Fragamemnon said:
Sadly there is no US retail release yet. :( Gamersgate pretty much ships what is on the disc normally though-did anyone buy it through them (I went Impulse this time) and can comment? Talk about an awesome mom!

Anyway restarted on hard. Impossible difficultly requires repeated use of degenerate tactics to win, and is dreadfully boring as such. Not recommended.

I got in on Gamersgate. It's the same as usual; you run the downloader off of your Gamersgate homepage, run it, then the game is installed as a single 4.6 GB file in Program Files (seriously. A single file is all that is in the directory, while save files, etc, are somewhere in My Documents.

Was Impossible really that bad? What degenerate tactics are you talking about? I can't think of any in particular that break the game or are overpowered. From what I understand, each of the difficulty levels is more like +1 from The Legend versions; AP Normal plays closer to TL Hard, Hard plays closer to Impossible.

I'm past the hump in Hard; got Flying, been to all the islands, but only "completed" ~6 of them or so. They did a good job of not letting flying screw over the game too much - Some treasure behind enemies can't be stolen (no safe landing), there are more cave systems than The Legend. Also, one of the last islands is a strict no-fly zone.

My only complaint with the game (aside from reused music) is the dragon. For the love of all that is holy, don't get the +Exp skills for your dragon. There's no way to reduce rage costs when it levels, so I'll often have to push skills out of the usable range. Not cool =(

larvi said:
will probably take half a year or something again for the retail release. some months

soldat7

Both games for 44.95 USD.

1556o2w.jpg

I think I'm going to hit Torchlight first though.

soldat7

King's Bounty: The Legend is 9.98 at Half-Price Books as well.

I'm not the biggest SRPG fan around, and I thought the combat was a bit slow in the demo. Does the combat get a bit speedier later on?

soldat7 said:
King's Bounty: The Legend is 9.98 at Half-Price Books as well.

I'm not the biggest SRPG fan around, and I thought the combat was a bit slow in the demo. Does the combat get a bit speedier later on?

There's an option to accelerate all the combat animations in the option menu. Once it is set to fast, then the combat moves at a brisk pace.

soldat7

Fragamemnon said:
There's an option to accelerate all the combat animations in the option menu. Once it is set to fast, then the combat moves at a brisk pace.

Ah excellent. I missed that option. Battles are indeed zippier now. Thanks!

markot

Banned
Does the princess game end when she has a baby >_<?

What did they do with that whole thingy for the chick?! Does she get to pick husbands and still have baby stat bonuses?

markot said:
Does the princess game end when she has a baby >_<?

What did they do with that whole thingy for the chick?! Does she get to pick husbands and still have baby stat bonuses?

You get followers in KB:AP and they have item slots. No babbies in Not So Armored Princess.

FoxSpirit

I bet it will still suffer the "All the battles play about the same for magic and rage characters" from part one.
Really, round one Fireball, round 2 fireball, pick off the rest. I quit halfway.

Doytch

Fragamemnon said:
You get followers in KB:AP and they have item slots. No babbies in Not So Armored Princess.
Excellent. God knows the kids were just baggage. Much better to just get items.

Only way to get this game in Europe is from Steam for 36€....

Big fan of KB:TL, but waiting for a price drop or amazon.co.uk list for ~25Pounds

:(

Yaweee

Doytch said:
Excellent. God knows the kids were just baggage. Much better to just get items.

Also, though each of the Companions has four equipment slots, what those slots can hold varies from person to person. An Elven mage (the one on Verona) notably has no slot for a weapon.

I bet it will still suffer the "All the battles play about the same for magic and rage characters" from part one.
Really, round one Fireball, round 2 fireball, pick off the rest. I quit halfway.

It doesn't. By most accounts, it is a much harder game, with Mages and magic being weakened/balanced considerably by increasing the rune costs for important skills and placing them at the bottom of the tree - Combat MP Regeneration is the last skill, while the Overworld MP Regen is an immediate prerequisite. Also, TL had a problem with Normal being a bit too easy for most people and Hard being a bit harder than most people really wanted for a first time through. That is definitely not the case here.

As for where I am in the game, I have the first five of the eight gems, the ability to fly, and all islands revealed. Absolutely no match for any of the giant signature bosses yet, two of which are necessary for the remaining three gems. It's definitely gotten easier now that I have at least one point in each Mage talent, but at every level up there's about 6 Magic, 3 mind, and 2 Might talents that I really want to put more runes into. I'm level 37, and I don't think I've seen an enemy labeled anything less than "Equal in Strength" in over twenty levels. That could just be because I'm a mage, but there's a whole shitload of fights all over the world that absolutely wreck me beyond the slightest hope.

larvi

I see that Gamersgate supports a gifting so maybe I can do that for my mom. How does Gamersgate work? Does it require installation of a client like steam or is it just a matter of creating an account to log on and download and install the game then after that she can use it normally i.e. run it from program files.

Top Bottom