• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Nintendo avoids the term "DLC" in favor of "add-on content"?

A while ago I got bored and switched my 3DS language from Russian to English to re-read Smash 4 trophy descriptions in another language. Of course, I was playing other Smash games on English (since Smash 4 is the first in series to feature Russian translation) and I was reading various English articles about the game, so I wasn't surprised at all when I saw "Record Library" being "Sound Test" or "Trophy Hail" being "Trophy Rush"... I, however, was really surprised by the fact that "DLC Shop" is called "AOC Shop" in English, with AOC standing for "add-on content".

Sure, Smash translators could do nothing other than using similar abbreviation since the smallest you can shorten "дополнительный контент" ("add-on content", "extra content") in Russian is "допконтент", and that button was too small for this word. But this reminded me that Nintendo actually hasn't used the term "DLC" and uses the term "add-on content" instead all the time - from marketing to system UI. (Correct me if I'm wrong... but I really haven't heard "DLC" from Nintendo.)

But what, do you think, is the reason for that? Why Nintendo reinvents the term?

To distance Mario Kart 8 expansions from horse armor?
To emphasize the fact that, in most cases, we aren't actually download content but rather unlock keys for corresponding game update?
To combine downloadable and time-unlocked additional content, like in Splatoon? (Maybe they wanted to do that since the beginning...)

Terrell

"DLC" as an abbreviated phrase has so much baggage associated to it, it's no wonder they want to distance themselves from it.

EDIT: And considering that a lot of people are OK with how Nintendo chooses to make and implement DLC most of the time, perhaps the distinction isn't without a shred of considerable merit?

EDIT 2: It also seems the term "DLC" is being moved away from by the industry at large, from the looks of the thread, so NVM the last edit.

Because 'downloadable content' is a vague term, a full game digital download or a patch are 'downloadable content'.

And Nintendo being Nintendo, they like to keep everything basic and understandable, don't want to confuse the children or casual gamers.

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/mobile/dlc/

Says DLC right at the top. Also apologies for mobile link.

Although you are right, they often refer to DLC as add on content instead.

Interesting that NoA uses DLC, the NoE page just has 'add-on content'.

headline_2.png

zeopower6

Generally "DLC" is listed as "add-ons" on PS Store and game pages on PS4 so it isn't really unique to Nintendo I think...

Sakura

They use both. It's not like there are any rules or anything. Add-on content is an apt description.

BooJoh

Just checked. In the NA version it says "DLC Shop"

EDIT: There's also a permanent category on the NA eShop called "DLC Available"

redcrayon

Because 'downloadable content' is a vague term, a full game digital download or a patch are 'downloadable content'.

And Nintendo being Nintendo, they like to keep everything basic and understandable, don't want to confuse the children or casual gamers.

headline_2.png

Nintendo's UK site definitely uses AoC, interesting to see the difference between NoE and NoA.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...ourses-plus-new-drivers-and-karts-913937.html

I agree with you, I think 'Add-on-content' implies additional courses, characters, expansions etc, whereas 'DLC' could mean anything these days. Probably just listed differently in their brand style guides for the websites.

Thanks. I was pretty sure Nintendo hadn't ignored the term, but I was trying to remember something about FE:A and NSMB2 downloadable content.

US copy, I suppose? Mine is the EU one, obviously.

Ah, yes, US here. Might have something to do with regional laws? Something in EU about calling it DLC?

Because DLC is a stupid abbreviation. If the D stands for 'downloadable' and the C is 'content' what does the L stand for? It isn't broken into Down Loadable Content. A download and a down load are two different things in today's vernacular.

headline_2.png

Ohhh... so it might be just the NoE thing. Now I know why I was under impression that Nintendo in general avoids the term "DLC" - I'm mostly following European media and watching European Directs.

redcrayon

Ah, yes, US here. Might have something to do with regional laws? Something in EU about calling it DLC?
More likely to be something within the law of a specific EU country about trading online/digital content that means they wanted a different overarching term, but I think its probably just differences in house style and NoE wanting to differentiate it from the tidal wave of other DLC available.

Also, several Nintendo games have regular free updates/unlocks, maybe they think its a better inclusive term for them, when most DLC is paid for.

Because DLC is a stupid abbreviation. If the D stands for 'downloadable' and the C is 'content' what does the L stand for? It isn't broken into Down Loadable Content. A download and a down load are two different things in today's vernacular.

I believe "D/L" is standard abbreviation for "download" in computer electronics.

Madness

DLC is increasingly used in a negative connotation while add-on makes it seem like they're just adding on to the game. Just an industry trend, like Game of the Year Edition, Day One edition, or the use of 'season pass'.

More likely to be something within the law of a specific EU country about trading online/digital content that means they wanted a different overarching term.

I might google that, thanks. Now I understand why they didn't really care about 100% perfect translation for Russia, LOL.

sonto340

Yeah it's been said a bunch already, but DLC is an almost toxic term these days.

That and Nintendo doesn't like to use others terms directly. They do it "their way" and give it a different name.

Aequitas

Assuming that Nintendo didn't use the term DLC...
It does make sense that they would want to use "DLC" as a term for add on content as little as possible given all of the negative connotation it has with it.

For example: when I think DLC, I think of fond memories such as: horse armor,
"skip-actually-playing-the-damn-game" packs, and lack-luster maps and OP as fuck weapon packs.

It's basically the pursuit of a better image of add-on downloadedable content in the eye of the consumer.

TLDR: it's just marketing bro.

Mr-Joker

Banned
To be fair Add on content does sound much better than Download content. Not only that Iwata himself didn't like the term "free to play" as he found it misleading and felt that the term Free to start should be adopted.

-Horizon-

To be fair Add on content does sound much better than Download content. Not only that Iwata himself didn't like the term "free to play" as he found it misleading and felt that the term Free to start should be adopted.

yeah, to me, it does sound better now that you mention it.

add on makes it feel like you're getting more than the base game

download content makes it feel like you're getting parts of the base game

Shiggy

They don't always.

With the release of the upcoming DLC pack alongside a free update, Mario Kart 8 is set to offer yet more options for players to enjoy its unforgettable gameplay.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...elease-of-new-courses-and-content-984289.html

Featuring a free* tutorial where players can try seven introductory puzzles, players may also choose from a selection of four additional DLC packs to fulfil their puzzle game needs
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...-Nintendo-eShop-for-Nintendo-3DS-1016319.html

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wasn't the term basically promoted by Microsoft at the dawn of the 360?

Top Bottom