• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Explains Why A PS3 Final Fantasy VII Remake Would Be "Very Hard" To Do

Teknoman

Trailblaster said:
Why? FF10 was great and and you posted a picture Of Finalk Fantasy 12, which FF12 is one of the best FF in the series IMO

Because 12 had really densely populated towns and detailed graphics for a PS2 game...and I guess FFX not so much.

I will say the X team knows how to make decent battle systems.

Cep

Banned
Rez said:
i agree but please stop making me imagine this man's 'glorious' balls

24ossj4.jpg

So this is how he looks like?

This explains much.

So, um...a friend of mine is playing FFXIII. He's currently in a town. You can't go in any doors, but so what, it's definitely a town, what's the problem?

Khrno

Kitase: "FFVII has too many cities, so it's no possible for us to make such a game in this game and age on the current consoles".

YoungHav

Banned
bunch of incompetents @ S-E. Last time I checked towns were somehow in my copy of Fallout 3 and Oblivion. They can go to hell. FFXIII will be purchased on the used market by me.

Nairume

Banned
J2 Cool said:
That's no reason not to do FFVII. Hire bigger teams.
There's plenty of reasons not to. At least, there's plenty of reasons not to do it to the point that many of the people posting here would want.

duckroll

Rez said:
i agree but please stop making me imagine this man's 'glorious' balls

This is why you fail to progress to the next stage of enlightenment. You lack the courage to step forth and embrace the glory of his balls. :(

duckroll said:
This is why you fail to progress to the next stage of enlightenment. You lack the courage to step forth and embrace the glory of his balls. :(

Honestly, tell me the truth duckroll. Have you made a hairdressers appointment and printed out a picture of Ventus for reference yet. Has it got that bad?

...now that I think on it, FFX didn't exactly have much in the way of traditional RPG towns either. Probably moreso than FFXIII, considering that's what I'm constantly hearing about the game and I've never really heard that specific complaint against FFX, but... yeah.

The FFX team really needs to set its priorities straight.

duckroll said:
Kitase is a terrible interviewee and a great liar. Remember when he said that they had no 360 development kits yet, and that they would only start work on the 360 version after the Japanese PS3 game was complete? Yeah.

I prefer Nomura interviews because at least the guy is honest and gives direct answers regarding matters. If he can't say something he will just say that he cannot make any comment on that at the moment. If he can, he will. Like when he said Advent Children Complete was already done, but being held back because the blu-ray market was not large enough yet. The man has balls and isn't afraid to share a glimpse of those glorious balls with us. :D

The balls to cover for his boss with no business sense?

I think the problem they have is with the overworld. With a remake they'd want to have a giant, detailed open world in between towns and stuff. Like Fallout 3 or Oblivion on crack.

With a remake of FFVII, however, I'd be okay with just an HD version of the overworld. It'd be more faithful to the original that way.

Nairume

Banned
dralla said:
does anyone really care about it anymore
Obviously plenty of people do, even if they really shouldn't.

Veritigo_X said:
I think the problem they have is with the overworld. With a remake they'd want to have a giant, detailed open world in between towns and stuff. Like Fallout 3 or Oblivion on crack.

With a remake of FFVII, however, I'd be okay with just an HD version of the overworld. It'd be more faithful to the original that way.

There's plenty more problems than just the world map that they'd have to deal with.

Vinci

Danish
cosmicblizzard said:

Wada was sensible enough to greenlight another FF MMO and consider putting mainline FF games on hold for a while. These are both pretty wise decisions.

Psy-Phi

cosmicblizzard said:
That would cause more backlash than it not happening.

I'd actually like if it were pre-rendered. Just HD quality images for the backgrounds, and obviously higher polycouts for the characters. I'd be very happy with that. Better still, do it that way but sell it on PSN/XBLA, HD FF7.

REmake did it...why can't FF7? Nobody cried about the pre-render in REmake. In fact, most RE fans love it.

They just need to make the same exact game, but in HD resolution. Take the same assets they used to make it originally and work off of that. It can't be that difficult to do. THey'd just have to create more so you could see it all.

Vinci said:
Wada was sensible enough to greenlight another FF MMO and consider putting mainline FF games on hold for a while. These are both pretty wise decisions.

He also thinks browser games are the future and that putting stuff exclusively on the 360 was a good idea.

Psy-Phi said:
I'd actually like if it were pre-rendered. Just HD quality images for the backgrounds, and obviously higher polycouts for the characters. I'd be very happy with that. Better still, do it that way but sell it on PSN/XBLA, HD FF7.

REmake did it...why can't FF7? Nobody cried about the pre-render in REmake. In fact, most RE fans love it.

They just need to make the same exact game, but in HD resolution. Take the same assets they used to make it originally and work off of that. It can't be that difficult to do. THey'd just have to create more so you could see it all.

I was just talking about the part where he said it would have FF12's battle system. I'd be perfectly fine with pre-rendered stuff.

Alex

I always figured they'd do V and VI on DS then VII on PSP, I didn't figure they'd put such an expensive production on the PS3 after how sluggish it's been.

I don't know if I'd want to play it anyway though. I already don't like VII, but a reasonable remake seems interesting. However, if they remade it I figure they'd Advent Children the fuck out of it, thus making it completely deplorable to anyone who isn't a complete fruitcake. Man they drug that shit through nails and glass.

Khrno

What upsets me the most with this whole FFVII remake topic is that people are being too hasty and not allowing the normal and logical ccourse of actions to take place.

What do I mean with this? FFV and FFVI come before VII, so please have patience and wait for FFV which has to be the next remake to come.

duckroll

cosmicblizzard said:

I don't think Nomura needs to "cover" for anything. If his games keep selling the way they do, Kitase will be his boss in a few years. Maybe by next year even.

bedlamite

Just play the PS1 version on the PSN and be done with it

Squeenix already have their hands full with making current-gen games, I think the last thing they'd want taking up their time is remaking an old game to make a few fanboys happy. I'm no Squeenix defender, but with a few notable exceptions(Capcom being one of them), Japanese developers in general seem to be having big problems adapting to the HD consoles.

Nairume

Banned
Psy-Phi said:

Why does it have to be HD? They could still make it look better without having it suddenly being in HD.

You compare what you're suggesting to REmake. You do realize that with remake, they went back and completely rewrote the script, redid all of the movies, rerecorded all of the dialog, retooled the gameplay, and made up entirely new content. Even if they were to just do a REmake level....uh...remake of FF7, it'd still be a ridiculous amount of work for them to do for something that is sooo not worth it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Psy-Phi said:

I don't want a carbon copy of the original game with better visuals. There is many things wrong with the original, the writing needs fixed the most though.

imtehman

Banned
duckroll said:
Kitase is a terrible interviewee and a great liar. Remember when he said that they had no 360 development kits yet, and that they would only start work on the 360 version after the Japanese PS3 game was complete? Yeah.

I prefer Nomura interviews because at least the guy is honest and gives direct answers regarding matters. If he can't say something he will just say that he cannot make any comment on that at the moment. If he can, he will. Like when he said Advent Children Complete was already done, but being held back because the blu-ray market was not large enough yet. The man has balls and isn't afraid to share a glimpse of those glorious balls with us. :D

isn't that exactly what kitase is doing right now?

the guy can easily just say "oh we'll think about it"

but instead he's telling us right now that FF7 would be too big of a game and cost too much

Khrno said:
What upsets me the most with this whole FFVII remake topic is that people are being too hasty and not allowing the normal and logical ccourse of actions to take place.

What do I mean with this? FFV and FFVI come before VII, so please have patience and wait for FFV which has to be the next remake to come.

Yeah, SE is going through remaking the FF in order already, sooner or later they will end up reaching 7 though.

RPGManiac said:
I'd personally prefer a PSP remake using an enhanced version of Crisis Core's engine.

I'd like that. Crisis Core was a pretty nice looking game. From videos, Birth by Sleep looks pretty good too. I still remember when they announced all PS1 FF were to be remade for PS2. I'm sad that it never happened. :(

I'm starting to not like Kitase much. sounds like an excuse. at the very least, can't he just make it static background? you don't have to make the whole cities.

and I bet FF XIV still got big towns, real 1:1 world map, and multiple towns, each having bigger explorable place than most town in FF VII.

or make it for psp at least with Crisis Core/Dissidia/BBS graphic

=(

duckroll said:
I don't think Nomura needs to "cover" for anything. If his games keep selling the way they do, Kitase will be his boss in a few years. Maybe by next year even.

I'd honestly rather have Kitase run the company than Wada. Going by this interview, it might not be much of an improvement, but the direction Wada's taking the company in just makes no sense to me.

duckroll

imtehman said:
isn't that exactly what kitase is doing right now?

the guy can easily just say "oh we'll think about it"

but instead he's telling us right now that FF7 would be too big of a game and cost too much

No, he's making up excuses and talking nonsense. He also had interviews released within the last week which totally contradict each other. In one he tells the Japanese audiences that while they can make DLC for FFXIII, they have no plans to do it at the moment. In another interview to a western magazine, he tells them that there is DLC being prepared for release some time after release in the future.

He is a liar and his interviews mean nothing because he does not give truthful answers. It doesn't matter if he actually answers a question if the answer does not have a shred of truth in it.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

Continuing your vendetta against Wada I see.

Would do the same for Watenabe, but i cannot see how he could have been involved. But I am LOOKING.

duckroll

cosmicblizzard said:
I'd honestly rather have Kitase run the company than Wada. Going by this interview, it might not be much of an improvement, but the direction Wada's taking the company in just makes no sense to me.

Actually that was a typo. I meant that Nomura would be Kitase's boss soon. Damnit! :lol

p_p_o_d

Banned
after going back and playing FFVII again when it was released on PSN last year all I could think was I dont think current Square should even try. I dont think they could remake the magic (but it would still sell zillions even if they screwed up everything )

didnt other square RPGs this gen like last remnant and Star ocean have towns. The FInal Fantasy team = Lazy devs?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
duckroll said:
No, he's making up excuses and talking nonsense. He also had interviews released within the last week which totally contradict each other. In one he tells the Japanese audiences that while they can make DLC for FFXIII, they have no plans to do it at the moment. In another interview to a western magazine, he tells them that there is DLC being prepared for release some time after release in the future.

He is a liar and his interviews mean nothing because he does not give truthful answers. It doesn't matter if he actually answers a question if the answer does not have a shred of truth in it.

Yeah... and it's leading to confusion :/

Vinci

Danish
cosmicblizzard said:
He also thinks browser games are the future and that putting stuff exclusively on the 360 was a good idea.

And what makes you think they aren't? And to be honest, if you're going exclusive with any system this gen the 360 is pretty much the best way to go. That said: Greenlighting the MMO was still a better decision forever than remaking VII.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am confused. Do people here want a full remake or do they want just a HDified FF7 a la GOW?

I can understand his position on a full remake. I dont think they can sell enough copies to justify investing on the scale of FF13. Not only that, but I would want to work on a new game not redrawing someone else's stuff.

That said, why aren't we getting at least a GOWified remake. No art needs to be remade outside of maybe properly scaling GUI elements and maybe remastering the sounds. So his concerns of long time to do that much art would be negated and people would still buy a properly updated version.

ClearCELL

Banned
duckroll said:
Anybody would be an improvement over Wada.

Cep said:
Continuing your vendetta against Wada I see.

Would do the same for Watenabe, but i cannot see how he could have been involved. But I am LOOKING.

Hey, at least we all have someone to hate in the company :D

duckroll said:
Actually that was a typo. I meant that Nomura would be Kitase's boss soon. Damnit! :lol

I kind of figured that :lol

To continue my point, I would rather have Nomura run the company than Kitase. Of course my opinion may change if Versus ends up being crap.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
AndyD said:
I am confused. Do people here want a full remake or do they want just a HDified FF7 a la GOW?

I can understand his position on a full remake. I dont think they can sell enough copies to justify investing on the scale of FF13. Not only that, but I would want to work on a new game not redrawing someone else's stuff.

That said, why aren't we getting at least a GOWified remake. No art needs to be remade outside of maybe properly scaling GUI elements and maybe remastering the sounds. So his concerns of long time to do that much art would be negated and people would still buy a properly updated version.

Your talking about the difference between developing a high res version of a low textured PS1 game and two PS2 games that were developed with great visuals initially. Two different things completely.

Nairume

Banned
AndyD said:
Little bit of A and a little bit of B. Neither of which are remotely worth doing at this point.

Why bother? The version of the game on PSN probably sells well enough to where taking the time to go through and redo everything in magical HD isn't going to be worth the trouble.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Hey, at least we all have someone to hate in the company :D

I kind of figured that :lol

To continue my point, I would rather have Nomura run the company than Kitase. Of course my opinion may change when Versus ends up being crap.

Come now, on what grounds do we have to hope?

*Prays*

Top Bottom