• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Explains Why A PS3 Final Fantasy VII Remake Would Be "Very Hard" To Do

Vinci

Danish
Ploid 3.0 said:
That's like someone not building a birdhouse because they can't build one unless it's made of gold, have 20 floors, elevators, and a flight school program for the chicks. Lower the goal if it's taking so much out of you to make a complete game, managers, producers, and directors. I'd rather a game look like ff12 and have more awesome things to do than a game that looks like crisis on ps3 that only allow you to walk down a hall.

I like you. We should be friends.

Cep

Banned
Himuro said:
Let's not be too hard on Kitase here. Most console jrpgs in the past 10 years have not had world maps either.

Someone fact check this man!

I want to know if my imminent BOOs are justified.

What an absurd position to put yourself in. Final Fantasy fans would buy it even if it wasn't cutting-edge graphically - position it not at ten million sales goal but at 4-5 and budget the game accordingly. Like, obviously not re-mapping Crisis Core but loads of recent games have detailed towns with hefty middleware engines. I'm playing Dragon Age right now; and its got... well.. towns. Lots of them. Its not the prettiest game out there, but thats... RPGs.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
God's Beard said:
Matsuno would get it done even if he died trying.

But only after the execs ripped his original story and character ideas to shreds and replaced it with BOREDOM.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
But only after the execs ripped his original story and character ideas to shreds and replaced it with BOREDOM.

Come now, ...

I was about to say something witty and anti-Matsuno, but my fingers would not let me

Curse you, you beautiful SOB, come back to us.

Nairume

Banned
SilentProtagonist said:
Blue Dragon had both and looked beautiful.
Blue Dragon and few others. Traditional world maps aren't completely gone from RPGs, but they are hardly the norm and haven't been for a while now.

Ranger X

It's fun to hear such bullshit from devs :lol :lol

The towns in FF7 remake would be piss easy to make. DON'T REDESIGN THEM YOU SILLY. Simply have them rendered in real time 3D of next-gen beautiful, bloc the player at the same places, same view angles, etc.

Seriously I mean, how hard is to only make a REMAKE? fuck.

Nairume

Banned
Ranger X said:
It's fun to hear such bullshit from devs :lol :lol

The towns in FF7 remake would be piss easy to make. DON'T REDESIGN THEM YOU SILLY. Simply have them rendered in real time 3D of next-gen beautiful, bloc the player at the same places, same view angles, etc.

Seriously I mean, how hard is to only make a REMAKE? fuck.

Obviously a lot harder than you think.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda funny that the FFVII team is working on Versus XIII and they're not complaining (or even talking) at all!

Vinci

Danish
HK-47 said:

I still, to this fucking day, want a copy of Matsuno's bible for FF XII. I would pay crisp bills to have that damn thing in my hands - and Square-Enix won't give it to me! Why do they refuse to make things I'll buy?

Very hard to do, really? Really? There are current gen games out there, that are HD, that have towns and are detailed nicely. Supposedly, the Final Fantasy XIII team had a whole game's worth of content cut from Final Fantasy XIII even though it was already running on the Playstation 3 or the Playstation 3 SDK. That tells me it wasn't that hard to make more content for the game, it's just they cut it for some unknown reason. This interview to me just sounds like he is defending Final Fantasy XIII being so linear. If Final Fantasy Versus XIII is going to meet the expectations that are set, then Kitase should leave Final Fantasy alone and let Nomura and the Final Fantasy XII team make Final Fantasy games. Which makes me wonder. What is the Final Fantasy XII team up to currently?

Cep

Banned
Vinci said:
I still, to this fucking day, want a copy of Matsuno's bible for FF XII. I would pay crisp bills to have that damn thing in my hands - and Square-Enix won't give it to me! Why do they refuse to make things I'll buy?

Read the bestiary, it is the closest you will get.

Cep said:
Someone fact check this man!

I want to know if my imminent BOOs are justified.

I remember ps2 rpgs lacking in world map. let's see

Final Fantasy X
Suikoden 3
Breath of Fire dragon quarter
Xenosaga
Shadow Hearts
Wild Arms 4 (not sure if 3 still has world or not)
Tales of Legendia (not sure, but I don't think there's world map in legendia)

some of those are series from previous generation that always had world map that somehow ditch it in ps2 generation. I remember reading preview saying Wild Arms 4 won't have world map and my reaction was something like 'dammit, not another one'

Cep

Banned
Vinci said:
I already have, and it's still not enough damn it.

I know, I hurt inside every time I play the game.

*pours out 40*

I am playing VS for the first time, and It fucking depresses me to get a glimpse at what could have been (for both games).

Ploid 3.0

Himuro said:
Very hard to do, really? Really? There are current gen games out there, that are HD, that have towns and are detailed nicely.

What games are these?

Well there will be FF14, there's White Knight Chronicles, Dragon Age.. I'm not sure if I could include Oblivion and Fallout 3, heck even Dragon Age probably shouldn't either, western games and all. I haven't played Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4, or Mass Effect. Although I watched ME2 on youtube, it has big ships/towns it seem.

Nairume

Banned
Gouty said:
How difficult would new 1080p prerendered back drops be to make?
Once again, it goes beyond making new backgrounds. They'd have to do new completely new character models to match the backgrounds, redo every single movie, probably rework the script to fall more in line with the Compilation retcons, add in voice acting (because there's no way they are remaking this game without it, unless it is on DS and that's even that could feature voice acting), retooling the gameplay, and a bunch of other shit that you aren't even taking into consideration.

Himuro said:
What games are these?
I've watched my friend play Fallout 3, and it was large scale, detailed nicely, and it wasn't linear. Well, from what I saw it wasn't linear anyways. I remember watching YouTube videos a while back of Lost Odyssey too, and it had towns. Regarding your other post, I would take a blow to the graphics just so that I could explore in an RPG. I like pretty graphics and all, but if Final Fantasy XII can look the way it did on the Playstation 2, then I'm sure Square Enix are capable of making a Final Fantasy with the same wow factor this generation.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Hey Jr, that isnt what I asked. I simply wanted to know how difficult it would be to make a 1080p prerendered backdrop. But to be more specific, how long compared to the time required to make an area that can be explored in 3D.

Vinci

Danish
lastinline said:
I've watched my friend play Fallout 3, and it was large scale, detailed nicely, and it wasn't linear. Well, from what I saw it wasn't linear anyways. I remember watching YouTube videos a while back of Lost Odyssey too, and it had towns. Regarding your other post, I would take a blow to the graphics just so that I could explore in an RPG. I like pretty graphics and all, but if Final Fantasy XII can look the way it did on the Playstation 2, then I'm sure Square Enix are capable of making a Final Fantasy with the same wow factor.

You're assuming they wanted to make the game feature towns in the first place? You're assuming they didn't, instead, want to make it as cinematic as possible by removing virtually all exploration? Call me paranoid, but I still doubt this whole, "We couldn't include 'em 'cause they're hard!" stuff. I just think they want to make movies more than they do actual game content, at least when it comes to FF titles.

Nairume

Banned
Gouty said:
Hey Jr, that isnt what I asked. I simply wanted to know how difficult it would be to make a 1080p prerendered backdrop. But to be more specific, how long compared to the time required to make an area that can be explored in 3D.
It would probably still take them a considerable amount of work.

Tellaerin

Ploid 3.0 said:
That's like someone not building a birdhouse because they can't build one unless it's made of gold, have 20 floors, elevators, and a flight school program for the chicks. Lower the goal if it's taking so much out of you to make a complete game, managers, producers, and directors. I'd rather a game look like ff12 and have more awesome things to do than a game that looks like crisis on ps3 that only allow you to walk down a hall.

The problem is that most people demanding an FF VII remake don't think like you. They want an entire game that looks like that FF VII PS3 demo, with the entire world fully-modelled in 3D. Give them a PS3 remake that has graphics on par with, say, Crisis Core for the PSP, and they'll bitch and moan that Square was 'too cheap' to give the game a 'proper' remake. (Nevermind that what they're expecting would probably cost way more to produce than they'd actually make back in sales - at least with an MMO, the steep investment in assets would be made up over time in subscription fees.) Produce a remake like that for the PSP, where you can still produce a game with PS2-quality assets and have it look comparatively good, and they'll bitch that Square isn't releasing it for a 'real' system. Most of them seem to have no real grasp of what's reasonable - they just know they want an HD FF VII remake that looks like that PS3 demo reel, and it's only because 'Square is lazy' and they're 'not trying hard enough' that they're not getting one.

JaseMath

Then...why not do a literal remake with HD graphics? Same pre-rendered camera angles and everything. Just redone for the HD era.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ever since the first generational jump, there has been the worries of "graphics over gameplay"... Often this was just the crazed rantings of oldschoolers afraid of a few cutscenes...

It's really sad that at Square Enix this gen, that concern is actually quite a reality: we are getting games with less gameplay due to the resources needed to bring graphics up to HD standards.. That's depressing.

I will take a less pretty game if we get huge world-spanning explorative RPGs like in the old days.

It was always my view that RPGs used to be like this anyway. Until FFVII, I never saw RPGs as graphically cutting edge. They used simple squat sprites, they reused tilesets all over the place. Cutscenes really required your imagination to come together. I used to perceive RPGs as necessarily simple looking games.. Such huge games that they couldn't focus on spectacular graphics. I didn't think FFVI was as pretty as it's contemporaries in other genres. Sure the assets it reused all over the place were simple and charming.. It was certainly quality for what it was, but it didn't look as immediately good as Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Super Street Fighter II, Yoshis Island... FFVI was clearly pixels, artistic and charming pixels, but no one would think it was trying to look especially realistic. My first reaction to it was nothing close to visual awe, and it was a game which won me over based on gameplay, story and overall scope. It was actually like a girl I learned to love for what's inside.. despite rather average looks.

Then VII comes along and all of a sudden FF is supposed to be the high benchmark of graphics for all time. Great, but now the level of tech we have reached actually threatens to cripple those games which have the demand placed on them to be the best. It's ironic we can't even replicate FFVII itself because of the high graphical expectations that it actually started....

Nairume

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Then...why not do a literal remake with HD graphics? Same pre-rendered camera angles and everything. Just redone for the HD era.
Because it would still be far too much trouble for it to be worth it.

Callibretto said:
I remember ps2 rpgs lacking in world map. let's see

Final Fantasy X
Suikoden 3
Breath of Fire dragon quarter
Xenosaga
Shadow Hearts
Wild Arms 4 (not sure if 3 still has world or not)
Tales of Legendia (not sure, but I don't think there's world map in legendia)

some of those are series from previous generation that always had world map that somehow ditch it in ps2 generation. I remember reading preview saying Wild Arms 4 won't have world map and my reaction was something like 'dammit, not another one'

Wild Arms 3 and Legendia had a world map. Also, I'm pretty sure Suikoden 5 had one (don't remember with 4).

Honolulu

Neo Member
That's probably one of the lamest excuses I've heard. It's not like they only use unique assets for every single environment in their games.

Besides, they already have highly detailed highpoly assets of environments, characters and what not that are already textured since Advent Children.
Bake it all down, Squeenix!
They basically have at least half the work already done in advance, FOC of course, if they now decide to make a remake of ff7 that is... I guess they're just afraid it's not going to sell well. :lol

Bullshit.

With that said, if he's so focused on the business of the towns, I don't have much faith in his ability to put together a great game. RPGs are full of infinite animation loops and repeating dialogue, and none of it looks particularly realistic. Just do it, it doesn't have to be flawless.

And it's not like the foundation of the game isn't already in place.

I don't believe a word these guys say. The game is impossible to make until they decide to make it, it's that simple. It seems like they have a new explanation as to why they're not making it every week.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Himuro said:
FF14 is an mmo.

Haven't played WKC but it doesn't look to have the production values or attention to detail that made FF7 so livid at the time.

Dragon Age's production values suck on consoles, has no world (only a point n' click map) and like 4 towns.

Blue Dragon, despite having a world map and all that, doesn't have the technical or artistic stuff a typical Square game (especially FF game) would have either.

Fallout 3, although it has a map and multiple towns and hundreds of npc's with voiced dialogue (who seem to all have the same voice actor/actress anyways) doesn't really have graphics that are that impressive.

Lost Odyssey doesn't have a world map unless you're in a vehicle.

Tales of Vesperia, too, has a world map and a world full of sidequests, but once again, the graphics aren't exactly the greatest (although the art style is amazing).

And none of these games stack up to a Final Fantasy game, or to be more precise, FF13 in terms of graphics. Hell, none of them are as atmospheric as FF7, and in some cases probably lack as much game content.

What about Star Ocean 4? It didn't have a world map but it sure had towns. :p
And the graphics are fine from what I've seen.

Nairume

Banned
Honolulu said:
They basically have at least half the work already done in advance, FOC of course, if they now decide to make a remake of ff7 that is... I guess they're just afraid it's not going to sell well. :lol
Probably because it more likely that it wouldn't sell all that well.

And, no, they don't have half the work all magically done by simple virtue of it being a remake.

The FFVII remake you guys keep talking about sounds bad.

No a FFVII remake should be a re imagining of FFVII. It shouldn't be a frame by frame upscale/HD remix of FFVII. It should be a new game that takes and removes the good and bad of FFVII. Not something like the DS remakes and not something like MGS: Twin Snakes. A more up to date version with the same word, story(tweaked a bit/ a lot), and characters.

Regardless it doesn't sound like oh because of graphics we can't do towns. Sounds more like its harder to do the towns in the scale that FFVII had them in a way that would be acceptable these days.

If FFVII was made to day, for Midgar to be as awesome was, it would have to be huge, have so much going on it, and just have so much detail. Today people would not except 3 buildings on the screen with 4 npcs saying the same thing.

Rahxephon91 said:
The FFVII remake you guys keep talking about sounds bad.

No a FFVII remake should be a re imagining of FFVII. It shouldn't be a frame by frame upscale/HD remix of FFVII. It should be a new game that takes and removes the good and bad of FFVII. Not something like the DS remakes and not something like MGS: Twin Snakes. A more up to date version with the same word, story(tweaked a bit/ a lot), and characters.

Meh if they reimagined it it probably wouldn't have the awesome humor it has now.

cosmicblizzard said:
Wild Arms 3 and Legendia had a world map. Also, I'm pretty sure Suikoden 5 had one (don't remember with 4).

I know suikoden 5 had world map. my point is, some of those are long running series that always have world map, and having one is a given, but in ps2 era, they start to try or at least made an attempt to get away from world map.

I was just under impression that nowadays, worldmap is nowhere near the standard as it was in the old days.

Top Bottom