• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Explains Why A PS3 Final Fantasy VII Remake Would Be "Very Hard" To Do

Vinci said:
And what makes you think they aren't? And to be honest, if you're going exclusive with any system this gen the 360 is pretty much the best way to go. That said: Greenlighting the MMO was still a better decision forever than remaking VII.

A Japanese company going 360 exclusive is NOT a good idea. It's not a good idea now and it wasn't a good idea when the gen started.

And you're right, as much as I dislike MMOs, FF14 will be a money fountain for them just like 11 was. That doesn't exempt him from some of the other stupid stuff he's said/done.

As for browser based games being the future, maybe they will be. However, from the way he talks, it makes it seem like he's already shifting focus and fully expects consoles to be dead soon enough. It just seems like a crazy move that he isn't basing on anything except the possible insurgence of cloud gaming which hasn't even happened yet.

I'm very confused how Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1-2, oblivion, Lost Odessy, and countless other HD rpg's all have towns yet Square is saying "towns are too hard to do in HD"? No they aren't too hard buddy you just fail at programming.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
this thread confuses me, FF7 is already on the psp.
its a psn classic.
they're all psp compatible.
last i checked.

mutsu

AndyD said:
That said, why aren't we getting at least a GOWified remake. No art needs to be remade outside of maybe properly scaling GUI elements and maybe remastering the sounds. So his concerns of long time to do that much art would be negated and people would still buy a properly updated version.

Not that simple. GOW is a PS2 game, while FF7 is a PS1 game. Doesn't work by just upscaling everything.

Vinci

Danish
cosmicblizzard said:
A Japanese company going 360 exclusive is NOT a good idea. It's not a good idea now and it wasn't a good idea when the gen started.

It wasn't, on the surface, a horrible idea 'when the gen started.' After all, Microsoft was likely paying for half the development fees of some of these Japanese titles in order to try and crack the market over there. And there are several Japanese companies that have found most of their success this gen on the 360, nevermind that their titles are available on the PS3 and often don't sell nearly as well.

As for browser based games being the future, maybe they will be. However, from the way he talks, it makes it seem like he's already shifting focus and fully expects consoles to be dead soon enough.

So he hasn't confirmed that he's shifting anything towards browser-based gaming? And guess what? This is normal. Game companies rattle off freaky shit about the future of gaming all the time. Some are more sensible than others, yeah, but I don't think the guy's alone in his expectations for the cloud.

Nairume

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
I'm very confused how Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1-2, oblivion, Lost Odessy, and countless other HD rpg's all have towns yet Square is saying "towns are too hard to do in HD"? No they aren't too hard buddy you just fail at programming.

It's hard to do them in HD to the scale and detail that they are used to and were aiming for

It's still a dumb excuse, but one is slightly less dumb than the other.

MrPliskin

Banned
Wouldn't it be a good idea to start working on resources that can be used this generation and next? These are things that can be used across multiple games.

Also, why not out source? Let your guys worry about characters, enemies, and animation.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Don't worry, I'm one of the most optimistic people on this forum. I fully expect it to be an amazing game.

Birth By Sleep?

That is not a virtue (you do make me feel better about the human race though).

As for BBS, you got me there.

Also: Epic triple post.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
he also mentioned the lack of towns was due to the fact that in producing HD quality graphics it would take far too much time for the developers to create.
But GAF was all like, "it's an awesome design choice".

ClearCELL

Banned
Vinci said:
It wasn't, on the surface, a horrible idea 'when the gen started.' After all, Microsoft was likely paying for half the development fees of some of these Japanese titles in order to try and crack the market over there. And there are several Japanese companies that have found most of their success this gen on the 360, nevermind that their titles are available on the PS3 and often don't sell nearly as well.

So he hasn't confirmed that he's shifting anything towards browser-based gaming? And guess what? This is normal. Game companies rattle off freaky shit about the future of gaming all the time. Some are more sensible than others, yeah, but I don't think the guy's alone in his expectations for the cloud.
Also doesn't SCE own tons of stock in Square?
Wada must be on the hot seat after some of the dumb stuff he's been pulling this gen.

p_p_o_d said:
after going back and playing FFVII again when it was released on PSN last year all I could think was I dont think current Square should even try. I dont think they could remake the magic (but it would still sell zillions even if they screwed up everything )

didnt other square RPGs this gen like last remnant and Star ocean have towns. The FInal Fantasy team = Lazy devs?

considering the quality of presentation they achieved in XIII, I think they're far from lazy, just have different priorities on their list.

as for FF VII remake, I don't want GoW style HD remake. if they go that way, at the very least bring new character model, make them detailed enough so it's not a bunch of polygon cubes. maybe keep the super deformed character to keep the charm or whatever.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vinci said:

So Capcom and... ?

Nairume

Banned
ClearCELL said:
Also doesn't SCE own tons of stock in Square?
Wada must be on the hot seat after some of the dumb stuff he's been pulling this gen.
They got rid of most of it back in the day. It probably even contributed to Enix being able to buy them out in the first place.

Ploid 3.0

GDGF said:
Wait, that's no joke? FF13 really has no towns?

I can't wait to see the reactions western people get when they finally play ff13. I'm shocked so many people are psyched for it and don't know the details of the gameplay. I warned my friends, one says he's going to still pick it up for the collection at the least (if he don't like it).

Vinci said:

It's fine to test the waters, but they kept doing it when they should've realized it was pointless. Only recently have they mostly cutoff 360 development/shifted to multiplatform.

And the companies that found success on 360 are ones that cater toward a western audience. Actually, has anyone other than Capcom found success on 360?

Actually, I'm pretty sure he has outright said they're shifting focus. Let me try to find the article.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nairume said:
They got rid of most of it back in the day. It probably even contributed to Enix being able to buy them out in the first place.

They still own like... 10% or something.

ClearCELL

Banned
Vinci said:
Yeah, I pretty much fudged on that one. But then Capcom seems to be the only Japanese 3rd party that knows what it's doing this gen.
I agree Capcom has been the best Japanese 3rd party publisher this gen but something something Bionic Commando and Dark Void.

Cep

Banned
Vinci said:
Yeah, I pretty much fudged on that one. But then Capcom seems to be the only Japanese 3rd party that knows what it's doing this gen.

Dark Void, DMC4, RE5, and Bionic Commando say 'hi.'

The sad this is, you are still right.

Cep said:
That is not a virtue (you do make me feel better about the human race though).

As for BBS, you got me there.

Also: Epic triple post.

At the speed this thread was moving, I expected to see another post before I hit submit *shrugs*

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Himuro said:
Remember all the details in Midgar in FF7? Imagine recreating that with today's tech.

Coupled with an explorable world map.

Include all the sidequests that appear in FF7.

And all the towns.

And the dialogue.

With current gen hd graphics.

Anyone who ever expected this to come to fruition is either very naive, or very stupid and unrealistic.

i was pointing out how fundamentally retarded the idea of putting pretty graphics over a fun game is.

but yes, you're right. still, prerendered backgrounds for much of the game would be fine.

Vinci

Danish
Himuro said:
Remember all the details in Midgar in FF7? Imagine recreating that with today's tech.

You're being too technical, Himuro. Just read what he wrote and let the mind-boggle take you. It does, in fact, sound pretty funny.

beelzebozo said:
i was pointing out how fundamentally retarded the idea of putting pretty graphics over a fun game is.

but yes, you're right. still, prerendered backgrounds for much of the game would be fine.
It seems like, from what I've read, everyone wants a FF VII remake for the graphics.

Cep

Banned
Vinci said:
Why the hell is RE5 included in your list of shame?

But it followed RE4, unless Sheva/Chris popped out the screen and rendered certain services, it was bound to be looked down upon.

With that said, you are right, it does not belong there.

Himuro said:

And all the towns.

And the dialogue.

Anyone who ever expected this to come to fruition is either very naive, or very stupid and unrealistic.
I remember when they announced that all NPCs in FF13 would be fully voiced. :lol :lol :lol

imtehman

Banned
Himuro said:

And all the towns.

And the dialogue.

don't worry, nomura can do all that in his sleep, with his hand up his butt

Vinci

Danish
badcrumble said:
Dramatic step down from RE4 in every way, even if it's still a good game.

But we were talking about business decisions. Failing to live up to RE4 didn't somehow make RE5 sell horribly.

God's Beard said:
Matsuno would get it done even if he died trying.

:lol :lol I miss him.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Himuro said:
But the reason people want one is because they're graphic whores and want current gen graphics.

If they remade the game, updated the pre-rendered bgs and made them say, REmake quality or better, that would be completely possible.

But people are expecting a full remake of FF7, from head to toe, with all of its content (even questionable things they wouldn't dare pull off today like cross dressing to save Tifa) in full hd current gen graphics with hdr lighting and the whole shebang.

even if you limit his comments' impact to FF13, it's still a depressing, stupid, and backward way of designing games.

Nairume

Banned
God's Beard said:
Matsuno would get it done even if he died trying.
He would try...and then SquareEnix would move him off the project for taking too long. Perhaps if they had more time, XIII wouldn't have been so cut up, but it's obvious SE wanted to avoid having another situation like with XII.

Still <3 Matsuno either way.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MasterTeacher said:
So FF13 Vs will be linear and won't have towns either? SQ is turning into a bunch of lazy bitches that do bad business

Nomura said Versus XIII will have towns, and a world map.

Nomura > Kitase.

imtehman

Banned
MasterTeacher said:
So FF13 Vs will be linear and won't have towns either? SQ is turning into a bunch of lazy bitches that do bad business

if they did have towns, the game probably won't look as good as FFXIII

Ploid 3.0

Nairume said:
It's hard to do them in HD to the scale and detail that they are used to and were aiming for

It's still a dumb excuse, but one is slightly less dumb than the other.

That's like someone not building a birdhouse because they can't build one unless it's made of gold, have 20 floors, elevators, and a flight school program for the chicks. Lower the goal if it's taking so much out of you to make a complete game, managers, producers, and directors. I'd rather a game look like ff12 and have more awesome things to do than a game that looks like crisis on ps3 that only allow you to walk down a hall.

Top Bottom