• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase: Would people REALLY want a FF6 remake with turn-based battles?

In an interview with Jeremy Parish from USGamers, Yoshinori Kitase asked him this:

Yoshinori Kitase said:
Here's a hypothetical question -- and this is just hypothetical, so don't read too much into this -- what if we were to take a game like, say, Final Fantasy VI that does have the ATB system but is basically command-based. What if we were to take that game and breathe new life into it? Make it into a current-gen game? Would users be OK with it in that turn-based style?

The question was asked inside a bigger question regarding a potential return of the classic turn-based ATB-style Final Fantasy.

My answer:

Fuck. Yes.

YES, PLEASE, TERRA IN HD AS WELL AS SABIN MOTHERFUCKING SUPLEX A TRAIN IN HD, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

So yes, please make it, and make it good while I masturbate in terror.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Remake it for the 3DS. If they did a console remake it would take forever.

Amir0x

Banned
YES.

YES I DO WANT THAT

YES ABSOLUTELY.

Oh man with orchestrated remixes of the classic tracks, oh man...it would be amazing.

Edit: Oh, also... FFVI's style is super distinctive and to this day unlike anything else in JRPGs. Please, when you 'reimagine' its visual style, you retain its dark, steampunk-like direction.

Muffdraul

Am I missing something? To me that quote reads as him merely using FFVI as an example of classic turn based game play. i.e. designing a current gen game that plays like FFVI, as opposed to an old school style 2D game on iOS or PSP or whatever.

jiggle

the fear is overwhelming me
jqkTcye1whXVo.jpg

linko9

I'd love for a new "parallel" FF series to come out on handhelds, in the vein of FF5 and 6; much like Heroes of Light but with more resources put into them. But that's just a pipedream.

Khrno

Fuck Kitase, he can keep producing Lightning games for all I care.

On-topic, Itou is the man to remake VI, but before even doing that, a proper 3D remake for V is due.

Famassu

"So don't read too much into this", you should really think of another thread title, this one is misleading as if it really sounds like they are considering one.

Not really. The only way I'd be down for it is if it's a full-spec remake for the PS4 with absolutely nothing cut out whatsoever.

But if it were to get a remake, it would probably be for a handheld or a phone, and they'd probably cut out a bunch of content while at the same time adding in new content related to Genesis. No thanks.

EDIT: holy crap, my bad. I must've misread and thought it said VII.

A remake of FF6? Absofuckinglutely, as long as it does NOT USE the XIII combat system. Full party control or nothing.

Nah. They should spend the manpower they could spend on those remakes to instead help get shit like FFXV done.

If they do, though, they should use the Woolsey FF3 script for the US release.

radcliff

No, make something new, maybe something not even Final Fantasy. Old school gamers will find some reason(s) why the original is better and new school gamers will ask how we could have played something so basic back in the day.

orioto

Good Art™
I'll take it as a great new game, knowing it will shit on everything FFVI was, but that's ok. it won't replace it :p

Actually, the impression I got from reading that interview was if they made a new Final Fantasy - say, for argument sake, Final Fantasy XVI - akin to how Final Fantasy VI was, not an actual Final Fantasy VI remake.

only if they don't botch the existing story and actually give us the towns and not cry HD towns are too hard. Or the new one with the old style actually have an amazing story like 6 did.

Top Bottom