• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase: Would people REALLY want a FF6 remake with turn-based battles?

Galang

Banned
This would be lovely for them to remake the best FF game. Don't care what platform as long as it looks nice. Hope they would go all out if it happens

Tabris

FFIV DS was a disaster. The bullshit SD (Super Deformed) graphics were quite bad.

I would say no if they released another SD remake on handhelds.

I want a full 3D remake on consoles. (aka look more like the FFIV DS cutscenes which were awesome)

Theonik

FFIV DS was a disaster. The bullshit SD (Super Deformed) graphics were quite bad.

I want a full 3D remake on consoles. (aka look more like the FFIV DS cutscenes which were awesome)
You do know how the sprites for these games looked like right?

if I recall correctly, there was an internal poll at S-E right around the time of Advent Children's creation on which FF game the staff would enjoy remaking the most.

FFVI was either first or second on the list.

Unfortunately the demand for a big event FFVII remake seems to completely destroy any reality that S-E will spend the money & resources to make an extravagant, fully-realized FFVI remake... but man I tell you, I would love to eat a buffet full of crow and be wrong.

As Amir0x pointed out on Page 1, FFVI has such an amazingly unique art direction (that is apparent well beyond the basic 16-bit sprite work) that would be such a breath of fresh air right now.

FFVI's 20 year anniversary (lord I feel old) comes up next year.
I'm not expecting much coming from it (iOS 'demake' or some-such bullshit), but it really is one of the most phenomenal FF's that deserves a lot more fanfare, IMO.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Id rather just have the absolute definitive version of the original. SNES music, no load times, most accurate script, and the FMVs and whatever other worthwhile stuff were on the GBA/PSX versions.

Tabris

You do know how the sprites for these games looked like right?

Limitations of graphics at the time. Do you know what the vision of the design looked like right?

amanoFF6.jpg

Last image was blocked for hotlinking, so I got one from blogspot of FFVI instead which had a similar vision. I want a game that truly meets the artist's vision. Why limit it to handhelds? With PS4 hopefully about to take over the console market, you could have a return to console strength in Japan if you support it by releasing games like FFVI remake. $599 PS3 and the Wii initial success splintered the console market too much.

This would be lovely for them to remake the best FF game. Don't care what platform as long as it looks nice. Hope they would go all out if it happens

FFVI would be a loveletter. I just hope that they would put an option in to use the original soundtrack as opposed to a new one. Toss in a few dungeons, maybe a follow up story that isn't terrible. I didn't get to play it all (yet), but I feel like the FFIV follow ups weren't complete shit.

Just don't make it all about the summons. There's enough meat there with the characters to provide a nice follow up without mucking it up with OMG teh Eidolons!

It's funny how you're completely ignoring how improved it was from a gameplay perspective.

Theonik

Limitations of graphics at the time. Do you know what the vision of the design looked like right?
Part of the reasoning to go with SD sprites was indeed technical but it was to a great extent and artistic choice.
Edit: I am well aware of how Amano's art looked like, then the ingame designs were based on Nomura's re-imagining of those designs.

Mr. RHC

No, make new games, and release the source material as is, maybe an HD version.

Do not remake anything when you have games like Final Fantasy XV on the horizon.

If they were to remake FFVI or FFVII (or, really, any of the old ATB-based FFs), I'd want them to switch up the battle turn system to FFX-2's much faster ATB Kai system. It's totally compatible with the same set of things (charging turns, casting times), but drastically faster and visually more interesting. It'd be a lot easier to do that than to try to port FFVI into something much more radically different like the FFXII's ADB system.

ATB Kai would let them keep roughly the same movesets and the same basic ability/equipment/accessory system while feeling new and fresh. It'd be especially helpful for FFIX, thanks to its too-slow battle system (the rest of that game is great, of course).

TheExodu5

Banned
I really want a remake of Final Fantasy VI, but I have pretty much zero confidence in Square doing it justice.

It needs to remain 2D. It needs to retain it's dark tone through art style and music. No need to mess with the battle system...just balance it better and make it more difficult (or at least offer the option for it to be more difficult). If they went the FF IV DS route for the battle system I'd be alright with that. I'll cry if they go the FF IV DS route for visuals, though. And for the love of god, up the framerate on the damage numbers. I loathe FF III/IV DS because of the damned sluggish damage numbers.

Last image was blocked for hotlinking, so I got one from blogspot of FFVI instead which had a similar vision.

Tabris is exactly right.

Even though FFV was Kitase's first time 'directing' a Final Fantasy, FFVI was his first opportunity to really show Sakaguchi what he could do- both creating difficult, emotional situations and directing a much more 'cinematic' Final Fantasy.

You can bet your ass if he had the tech at the time (and the seniority within the company) there would be no SD versions of those characters, but two things to keep in mind:

-although you had a series like Phantasy Star using more proportionate characters in the 16bit field, the SD style had become kind of a tradition for the FF series up to that point. It was not the initial artistic vision, but it was convenient and allowed a certain stylistic familiarity within the series from the 8-bit to 16-bit era.
-a young artist named Tetsuya Nomura cut his teeth on designing the SD models around Amano's concept design. FFVI gave him a lot more responsibility, which would transcend to a massive job designing main characters (and even plot elements) of FFVII.

Look no further than the CG designed for the FFVI release for PS1.
That was the vision... and as good (and accurate to Amano's designs) as that looked then, could you even begin to imagine what they could do now? :)

What? You'd rather have nothing, where this game falls further into obscurity on a system no one plays anymore? An entire generation of gamers (possibly two generations now?) have never experienced this game, and you want to deny it to them because you think that the current square's remake might be less than PERFECT?

Then release the original on wiiuvc/psn etc.

And yes, I think Square would royally screw up any remake.

If this game were to be 3D I'd want the characters to look like the Amano designs. I don't want some sort of Nomura reinterpretation.

You might have missed it with the Dissidia games, but Nomura can absolutely nail a lot of the unique design aesthetics of Amano- as well as keeping the characters a bit more 'solid'.

You know a lot of those monster/boss designs from FFV and FFVI that looked like they were drawn directly from Amano?
Nomura made those.

OWZhDZy.jpg

7GDLKyh.jpg

SirCrush

Hmm...I don't think they were talking about REMAKING an FF game...just reinstituting the classic ATB to a new FF game...right?

EDIT: Nevermind, read it wrong. Still, I wonder what it'd be like if they made a new game with the classic ATB system. Not like FF13 or 12, I mean like old school, command select ATB system.

Zoe

Hmm...I don't think they were talking about REMAKING an FF game...just reinstituting the classic ATB to a new FF game...right?

EDIT: Nevermind, read it wrong. Still, I wonder what it'd be like if they made a new game with the classic ATB system. Not like FF13 or 12, I mean like old school, command select ATB system.

No, you didn't read it wrong. People are taking his response to literally. It's pretty clear from the full article.

Here's a hypothetical question -- and this is just hypothetical, so don't read too much into this

Tabris

FFVI was an easy game with little mechanics behind it's battle system.

If you appreciate FFVI because of it's gameplay, then you need to take the nostalgia glasses off. It was a simple battle system with a fun magic learning system and some good early game special abilities (like Blitz) that became useless as soon as you could get Espers. It was great for it's time.

FFVI is still brilliant due to the music, atmosphere/setting, and characters. And this is why a remake would make it that much better, because the above wouldn't change as much and it's everything that's weaker (graphics, sound (outside of music), and gameplay) that would get a boost.

In my personal opinion, the only fear with a close to the source material remake is voice acting, and that all depends on the writer and voice actors.

EDIT - FFVII is the one that really needs the remake. Due to the refined sprites, you can still appreciate FFVI without it being too jarring. The 3D in FFVII makes it very hard to appreciate still as it's quite jarring.

Rising_Hei

Superdeformed on remake of these games feel stupid, because they used them for technical issues, so... :/

Make it realistic if it ever happens

If they go ahead with it, I hope it won't be "realistic". If it loses a stylised look, it'll definitely lose a lot. It doesn't have to be super deformed, but a FF9-like approach in proportions would be perfect.

But what matters is the game play, ds have difficulty balance, boss fight differently , able to pass down ability to parties members.

maybe i played ff4 too many times before, ff4ds changed the game and surprised me in a good way :D

Having to restart a dungeon 2 times because I didn't grind long enough to have enough HP to withstand the random chance of getting 3 breath attacks in a row is not a pleasant experience.

Burt

Yeah, but they have to be done right. Most importantly, there can't be long loads going into battle. That killed Lost Odyssey for me, and probably a lot of other people too. It needs to be snappy. They should figure out some way to do it without random battles, as well. Shouldnt be hard to implement something similar to Blue Dragon or Chrono Trigger. If they can pull that off it'd be perfectly fine. Not that I'd complain if they added some more depth through some new systems or something like that, though. Those sorts of additions are great.

CorvoSol

FF4DS was the best version of the game. While it lacked two of FF4's most memorable scenes
Golbez' hand and Rosa and Cecil making out in front of Kain
it gave us the Augment System, providing some much needed customization to FF4, New Game +, and boosted the game's difficulty. It might have the worst version of the Mysidian Legend, but most of the script beats the shit out of the ultra phoned in PSP version's script, and asking for graphics like the cut-scenes in game is asking too much of the DS. And for extra kicks they added in voice acting to the game.

FF Fans can be such graphics whores that the completely overlook that the game is easily the best version of 4, just because it was all SD.

Tarsul

i dont care if the combat is turn-based or real-time. It just has to be engaging. So if it is turn-based: dont make it too slow. And make it interesting. The combats of FF6 and Chrono Trigger are NOT interesting (by today's standards).

also remember the following rule: a combat has to have an impact for the following combats. Thus, either item-gain/drain oder hp/tp-gain/drain has to be included. Otherwise it would only be life/death in every combat which would be too straining or too boring.

Go from there. To make a good combat system is not easy but it's not my task to do it in 10 minutes :)

Pallad1um

Of course I would like, but Final Fantasy V first. And why the hell would the ATB system be a problem, if they keep porting and remaking Final Fantasy IV?

Tabris

FF Fans can be such graphics whores that the completely overlook that the game is easily the best version of 4, just because it was all SD.

But what out of that gameplay you mentioned (augment system, new game +, and game difficulty - I would disagree on that one as difficulty became broken with proper use of augment system) could not be accomplished on console?

Good graphics <> Bad gameplay.

Top Bottom