• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack 2 FREE on New Zealand PSN

Got it through the glitch and played about half of the story so far. Really liking it much more than I expected. Actually Pre-ordered the game a few days ago on disc and my copy arrived today, but I think I'll keep it, considering it's been worth the price tag so far and I'll happily support them since it was on its way anyway.

Can somebody explain to me what the origin of all the memes with Knack is anyway? I never really payed attention to the game but it seemed like the original was an ok enough game, just nothing special. So what's the joke about it that people ironically bring it up all the time on certain topics?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I wonder of any of the people that get the license revoked will end up purchasing the game. Knack 2 isn't actually too bad, it's better than I thought but I still have trouble getting to grips with no camera control. I'd probably pick it up second hand or in a fire sale if my license expired.

kikiribu

So has anyone noticed being revoked yet?
Still works fine for me.

Can somebody explain to me what the origin of all the memes with Knack is anyway? I never really payed attention to the game but it seemed like the original was an ok enough game, just nothing special. So what's the joke about it that people ironically bring it up all the time on certain topics?
Check page 19, I pretty much asked the same question.

black070

I'm under the impression most people here don't even know themselves, they just think others find it hilarious.

kikiribu

Minor spoiler, I guess? Nothing Story related and not even sure why I'm spoiler tagging this but..

These nighttime chapters are my favorite so far (in addition to the Within Walls chapter earlier with all that cool platforming), they look good, nice lighting, and the atmospheric jazz flute music whatever it is fits the area really well. The combat upgrade that awaits here multiplies the fun factor. The game hasn't slowed down except one time and it was my fault because I got stuck on a "puzzle" I was solving incorrectly. It was way simpler than the overly complex solution I had in mind lol. I almost blamed the game for all of sudden going nutso on puzzle difficulty

dickroach

Minor spoiler, I guess? Nothing Story related and not even sure why I'm spoiler tagging this but..

These nighttime chapters are my favorite so far (in addition to the Within Walls chapter earlier with all that cool platforming), they look good, nice lighting, and the atmospheric jazz flute music whatever it is fits the area really well. The combat upgrade that awaits here multiplies the fun factor. The game hasn't slowed down except one time and it was my fault because I got stuck on a "puzzle" I was solving incorrectly. It was way simpler than the overly complex solution I had in mind lol. I almost blamed the game for all of sudden going nutso on puzzle difficulty

what "puzzle?"
i tried not to use the hint button at all, but there was one time there was an invisible block I had no idea was there

Megatron

Truth.
When Knack released it was up against awful games like Killzone SF and Ryse. It really was the best of a bad bunch.

Not sure why you are mentioning Ryse, that was an Xbox title. Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 were all much better than Knack. Among PS4 exclusives, Resogun was much better than Knack. Knack may have been better than Killzone, but that's not saying much.

Garani

I wonder of any of the people that get the license revoked will end up purchasing the game. Knack 2 isn't actually too bad, it's better than I thought but I still have trouble getting to grips with no camera control. I'd probably pick it up second hand or in a fire sale if my license expired.

I had already decided to buy my copy down the line, like in 6 months or so, for about half price. Money is tight, my eldest wants other kind of games now (shooters... oh the horror!) and frankly, I am tired of day-one purchases: I feel things got way too much out of hand. And no, I didn't buy Destiny 2 either, and probably I will buy it in 1 year time, together with the first expansion, just like I did with Destiny 1.

I found out, by searching on my nation's store, that Knack was free, and so I bought it. Will they revoke it? I don't know. I know that I am enjoying the game, and my son isn't, as I expected. The "let's get it half price" plan is still spot on.

So, will I buy it if it gets revoked? Yes, absolutely! But I will stick to my plan: first I have to pay for house, school, lunch, dinner and so on. After all that, if there is something left, it will be for Knack, at half price. :)

PS: I still have to get the latest Uncharted. Same plan: I'll get it later on half price.

kikiribu

what "puzzle?"
i tried not to use the hint button at all, but there was one time there was an invisible block I had no idea was there
I shut off hints. The "puzzle", if we can even call it that, was
in the chapter with the lasers. At some point you enter a room with three reflectors, and you have to move them around. If you look closely in the background, you'll see three statues. I thought I had to redirect each beam at the statues, but that's not the actual solution to progress into the next area at all. Still, I have a feeling the three statues thing might be a hidden challenge lol

bitbydeath

Not sure why you are mentioning Ryse, that was an Xbox title. Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 were all much better than Knack. Among PS4 exclusives, Resogun was much better than Knack. Knack may have been better than Killzone, but that's not saying much.

Resogun was better, I'll give you that. The others though... nope.

Launch titles were just not that great and Knack was a shining beacon because of it.

It wasn't an ok enough game, it was awful and made people question if Cerny was ever a good designer or if he had just lost his marbles.

However, it was a launch title so it still sold really well. In fact, as it happened it sold so well that it outsold Mario in the UK, which as you imagine triggered a lot of people and led to much mirth. People getting upset over this fact of course had to be continuously told how the game "really wasn't that bad" and over time this commitment by fans led to a general feeling that maybe it was "ok" as people forgot about their experience and hence their perception changed. This is known as the "Folklore effect".

Following this event things settled down and the battleground focus shifted from "will we get any good games on PS4?" to "will we get any good games on PS+?" This lead to huge arguments about indies vs retail titles and how that superficial classification is really quite useless. Knack was used as the poster child for the two main arguments of "why would you want garbage like this just because it is retail?" and "hey these games are shit, but it could be worse, we could have got knack!".

These arguments got worse and worse each month with gamers getting more and more wound up by the people claiming to actually want knack. Of course nobody really took these claims seriously, but they are so outrageous that people felt compelled to fight back against the idea and perhaps try to make the world a better place. The fact that it never actually appeared on PS+ just made it funnier each month.

This leads us to today where knack 2 is released and nobody would have even acknowledged the fact, except that it was mistakenly priced for free for a period of time. Even then I doubt most of the people who "purchased" it will download it. Because at the end of the day you can put a 2 after the title, but it is still knack.

So now the legend grows.

I shut off hints. The "puzzle", if we can even call it that, was
in the chapter with the lasers. At some point you enter a room with three reflectors, and you have to move them around. If you look closely in the background, you'll see three statues. I thought I had to redirect each beam at the statues, but that's not the actual solution to progress into the next area at all. Still, I have a feeling the three statues thing might be a hidden challenge lol

I got stuck on that, too. I never thought to even try
dragging one of the reflectors outside the door because of the way those statues are placed.
If they serve no purpose, it would have been best to remove them entirely.

jiggles

Banned
It wasn't an ok enough game, it was awful and made people question if Cerny was ever a good designer or if he had just lost his marbles.

However, it was a launch title so it still sold really well. In fact, as it happened it sold so well that it outsold Mario in the UK, which as you imagine triggered a lot of people and led to much mirth. People getting upset over this fact of course had to be continuously told how the game "really wasn't that bad" and over time this commitment by fans led to a general feeling that maybe it was "ok" as people forgot about their experience and hence their perception changed. This is known as the "Folklore effect".

Following this event things settled down and the battleground focus shifted from "will we get any good games on PS4?" to "will we get any good games on PS+?" This lead to huge arguments about indies vs retail titles and how that superficial classification is really quite useless. Knack was used as the poster child for the two main arguments of "why would you want garbage like this just because it is retail?" and "hey these games are shit, but it could be worse, we could have got knack!".

These arguments got worse and worse each month with gamers getting more and more wound up by the people claiming to actually want knack. Of course nobody really took these claims seriously, but they are so outrageous that people felt compelled to fight back against the idea and perhaps try to make the world a better place. The fact that it never actually appeared on PS+ just made it funnier each month.

This leads us to today where knack 2 is released and nobody would have even acknowledged the fact, except that it was mistakenly priced for free for a period of time. Even then I doubt most of the people who "purchased" it will download it. Because at the end of the day you can put a 2 after the title, but it is still knack.

So now the legend grows.

I think that's a pretty revisionist take on it.

It's actually that Knack wasn't that bad. It got a kicking from its reveal because it was the first PS4 game shown, the introduction to next generation, presented by the guy who designed the hardware itself (who himself was introduced as a games industry superstar).

Here it is, the next generation, the console designed by devs, for devs, the most powerful console in the world to date, let's see what it can do, in the hands of one of the most storied games designers of our time! And then they showed Knack, the most unexciting, middle-of-the-road character action game for kids, with an ugly mascot and charmless art style.

At this point there were still some people who could see worth in Knack. It wasn't a next-gen game and they knew it. It was a throwback to the games of their own youth. The Crash Bandicoot generation had a game coming out in that vein with some showoffy physics, and from the actual designer of Crash Bandicoot! Sure, such a game wouldn't be up to current standards, but there could still be something to enjoy about it.

The problem is that these people, and the people who didn't have that nostalgia for this kind of game, couldn't see eye-to-eye. Group A couldn't see it as anything but a bland disappointment, while Group B argued that while it's probably not going to win any awards, they still think they'll enjoy it. Group A saw this as mindless fanboyism and over-corrected their narrative to "it's terrible", which Group B saw as mindless fanboyism and over-corrected their narrative to "I'm really excited for it. Can't wait". The situation on both sides escalated through the game coming out, where Group A saw its reviews as proof that it was, indeed, a giant turd of a game, while Group B saw the reviews as proof that it was what they were expecting, if maybe 5 or 10 metacritic points below what it deserved.

Mario 3D World coming out at the same time was being held up by Group A as "this kind of game done right" (not really understanding that they weren't the same kind of game to Group B), and they would post in all Knack discussions/videos that everyone should forget that shit and buy 3D World instead. When Knack outsold 3D World, paired with Group B thinking it should have reviewed a little higher, both sides, in an attempt to ridicule the other, ended up in a place where they're both sarcastically claiming Knack to be an incredible work worthy of all the GOTY accolades, and thus the meme was born. One side is doing it because they think Knack is shit, while the other side is doing it because they know the other side thinks Knack is shit, but the first side never really understood that.

silva1991

The hatred Knack gets is hilarious. It's a competent game aimed at kids. Why are people so angry?

Most of them never played the first and will never play the second one.

Admittedly I was one of them and was still shitting on it and it's existence the other day until I downloaded it for free thanks to this thread only to realize how competent and decent Knack 2 is.

black070

Admittedly I was one of them and was still shitting on it and it's existence the other day until I downloaded it for free thanks to this thread only to realize how competent and decent Knack 2 is.

It's a shame, because Knack 2 is genuinly a very good platformer that could appeal to quite a few people if they were willing to give it a chance.

Yeah Knack 2 is a pretty solid action platformer. If people can respect Crash Bandicoot in 2017, Knack is all right.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wasn't Yakuza 5 "free" a few years ago as well? I never got my license revoked for that game either. The only case I can remember where Sony revoked licenses from a price error was with the Fallout 4 Season Pass.

Top Bottom