• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima wants 50GB Blu-Ray disk for MGS4 - morons claim developer incompetency!

Hunahan said:
Metal Gear has always been a linear game....what's the diff if you have to switch disks at the halfway point? Why does he need one 50GB disk instead of two 25GB disks? Is he just getting obsessed with singular disks? If so, why? I can't remember anyone really caring in the past when a game has multiple disks.

Hmmm...maybe there is a reason that will make sense later, but RAM will become a serious bottleneck if this much data is actually needed congruently. Seems like an odd point of desire, but oh well, like I said, hopefully it makes sense later once he reveals the full game....

Enigmatic as always, Kojima. Well played.

This "issue" is being thought too hard about.

PS3....dun, dun, dun, supports Blu-ray discs and they come in dual layer flavors, in which Blu-ray movies are already starting to use it...wouldn't the question rather be, if you have a medium that has dual layer to double the storage space...why would you need two discs to equal it again? Just to take up physical space?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rengoku said:
So let me get this straight, the reason why MGS4 is going to be set in the desert in the Middle east is because A) the desert is much easier to render and B) he can't animate hair and can get away with having people running around in turbans...

Mr. Wednesday says that is correct.

Tieno

fortified_concept said:
How is this statement:

is same with this one:

...or means that audio will take most of the disc space that some people imply or say here? In case you didn't notice he mentions the HD visuals too.
That why I said the original article makes you believe it's only sound, but it turns out it's actually both (visual and sound).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mr. Wednesday said:
2 enemies out of the whole trailer. More the exception than the rule, no?

I have one more completely naked here by sadly GAF TOS doesnt allow me to show it to you.

mckmas8808

Mr. Wednesday said:
Oh. I wouldn't really expect that much detail in any game.

Wednesday get a clue will ya!

e64dd6c33c.gif

Facial animation total.

Hunahan said:
Metal Gear has always been a linear game....what's the diff if you have to switch disks at the halfway point? Why does he need one 50GB disk instead of two 25GB disks? Is he just getting obsessed with singular disks? If so, why? I can't remember anyone really caring in the past when a game has multiple disks.

Hmmm...maybe there is a reason that will make sense later, but RAM will become a serious bottleneck if this much data is actually needed congruently. Seems like an odd point of desire, but oh well, like I said, hopefully it makes sense later once he reveals the full game....

Actually he already revealed enough to contradict your first sentence. He said, that you can play the game differently, since there are 3 sides of the conflict. You can keep alliance with one or none of them. That's enough for the game to be not exactly linear, since that would mean you can visit different places and missions at one time.

It's MGS4, not MGS3, MGS2 or MGS1. It's a next-gen game coming from a mastermind.

antiloop

Hunahan said:

PS2 had 36 MB total memory and 9 GB storage.
PS3 has 512 MB total memory and 50 GB storage.

So the issue isn't as big as with PS2 at least. :)

(not even if we count 256 MB vs 34 MB ram)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mr. Wednesday said:
2 enemies out of the whole trailer. More the exception than the rule, no?
I'll bet if you run around those two enemies in circles, you can get the framerate to grind to a halt, amirite?

Surreal

OPM:
We know the Middle East features in MGS4 and you've said you want this game to be like James Bond with Snake travelling the world. Is there any chance he'll visit the UK?

Kojima:
Unfortunatly not. I want to go there, actually. But not Snake - not this time. Officially, the new locations are somewhere in the Middle East, somewhere in South America and somewhere in Eastern Europe.
http://www.destructoid.com/new-metal-gear-solid-4-interview-28140.phtml

Hunahan

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Actually he already revealed enough to contradict your first sentence. He said, that you can play the game differently, since there are 3 sides of the conflict. You can keep alliance with one or none of them. That's enough for the game to be not exactly linear, since that would mean you can visit different places and missions at one time.

It's MGS4, not MGS3, MGS2 or MGS1. It's a next-gen game coming from a mastermind.

Hm. Fair enough. I have to say that I haven't been keeping up with all the finer details, so excuse me if I don't make sense. I do enjoy my Metal Gear, but I'm not as ravenous of a fan as some of the series' more devoted followers. If it's already been explained, then all apologies.

I'm not sure I really like the idea of going through a Metal Gear that doesn't follow a tight narrative structure, as the fixed storyline always seems to be the most interesting portion to me, but I'm willing to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt at this point that it will all work out in the end. :)

mckmas8808 said:
Add MGS games look 100% different in gameplay compared to the cut-scenes too right?
No, but cut-scenes don't have the burden of AI, etc.

Also the character models and textures scale according to the proximity of the camera.

Draft

mckmas8808 said:
Add MGS games look 100% different in gameplay compared to the cut-scenes too right?
The models look identical, but the animation is a lot cleaner in cutscenes. You deny this?

mckmas8808

Draft said:
The models look identical, but the animation is a lot cleaner in cutscenes. You deny this?

No don't deny that. But how can he say that the facial animation in my gif can't be done in MGS4 ingame?

Draft

mckmas8808 said:
No don't deny that. But how can he say that the facial animation in my gif can't be done in MGS4 ingame?
I dunno because it clearly is being done in-game, during a cut-scene.

lips

mckmas8808 said:

Good question. Why does any game need more than 10k of memory?

skrew

Banned
Mr. Wednesday said:
Also the character models and textures scale according to the proximity of the camera.
Welcome to 1976

The origin[1] of all the LoD algorithms can be traced back to an article originally appeared in the October 1976 issue of Communications of the ACM by James H. Clark. At the time, computers were monolithic and rare, graphics was being driven by researchers. The hardware itself was completely different, both architecturally and performance-wise. As such, many differences could be observed with regard to today's algorithms but also many common points.

gbovo

mckmas8808 said:
Wednesday get a clue will ya!

e64dd6c33c.gif

Facial animation total.
Hey mckmas
1. What software do you use to make that gif?
2. Can you somehow slow down the GoW II gif you made the other day (the one with Kratos fighting the colossus) so it'll be easier to see all the qte moves. Thanks :)

Hunahan

Banned
antiloop said:
PS2 had 36 MB total memory and 9 GB storage.
PS3 has 512 MB total memory and 50 GB storage.

So the issue isn't as big as with PS2 at least. :)

(not even if we count 256 MB vs 34 MB ram)

Sure. I didn't mean to imply the PS3 had insufficient RAM. I'm sure it's fine. I just meant that it's a bottleneck because it limits how much simultaneous data can be utilized from said singular disk anyways. It's not a PS3 problem, just a general computing problem at that point.

IE - you can't have seventy five different kinds of enemies on the screen at the same time anyways, so having constant access to seventy five different kinds of enemies via a single disk isn't really an issue, etc. (note: number "seventy five" just used as an example)

The non-linearity explanation does make sense, however. If there is more than one possibility for any one moment in time's needs in regard to content, then yeah, you'll need to have access to all the distinct possibilities. I guess I wasn't aware that this was a new factor for the series.

I was just trying to think of what possibilities for the series could require such massive amounts of simultaneous data-access, because like I said, if it all boils down to the fact that you need to swap disks after ten hours or something, then honestly, it all seems kind of pointless to care about to me. But it seems like the reality is just that I'm out of step with the game's developments, so apologies if my comments were taken incorrectly because of such things. Cheers.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
JB1981 said:
Yup. pretty much. these threads can basically write themselves they're so predictable.
yep, just wind up and go!

0018-0410-2203-5721_TN.jpg

Mr. Wednesday said:
:lol semantics, indeed

Seriously I'm done with this thread.
No sir, this forum is done with you. Toodles!

mckmas8808

gbovo said:
Hey mckmas
1. What software do you use to make that gif?
2. Can you somehow slow down the GoW II gif you made the other day (the one with Kratos fighting the colossus) so it'll be easier to see all the qte moves. Thanks :)

I use Animation Shop.

Kojima complains about disc capacity: "OMG lazy developer!!!1"
Carmack/Newell complain about multi-threading, RAM, developer tools, and anything else dealing with console development: "OMG geniuses!!11"

Tieno

_leech_ said:
Kojima complains about disc capacity: "OMG lazy developer!!!1"
Carmack/Newell complain about multi-threading, RAM, developer tools, and anything else dealing with console development: "OMG geniuses!!11"
The opposite is also true.

Mooreberg

sprocket said:
TDK has 200 gig BR disks . maybe e needs to talk with them . :D

I thought they had four layer 100GB discs? Who the hell is going to burn 8 layers?

Anyway it is interesting a developer releasing a game that will presumably be out about a year after the system launched already wants more than 25GB. Imagine how many duplicated files the dumb****s at joyst1q will uncover!

Mooreberg

_leech_ said:
You don't burn retail media, you press it.

I know but I've never even heard of discs being this large. I thought it was pretty much 50GB for the foreseeable future with 100GB being the size down the line.

Pimpbaa

Xavien said:
Simple 2x BR (9MB/sec) has less data transfer then 8xDVD (10.9MB/sec), combine this with a 6 times larger disc, means you are gonna have longer loading, since as textures and assets get larger in size, the transfer rate will seriously hamper loading times as more and more data has to be loaded for levels etc.

It doesn't magically increase the amount of ram the system has. Regardless of how big the disc size is, the ps3 still only has 512 megs of ram. A bigger disc will simply mean a longer game (or more numerous and longer cutscenes). The only way this would result in bigger assets is if they implement streaming, which would mean no load times at all.

Am I the only one who LOVES multiple-discs? It felt so grand and epic when all of a sudden the screen with "Insert Disc 2..." appeared. It made the game feel so big(time).

J-Rzez

Well, I for one, am appalled by the fact Kojima lost touch with the fans... who wants a game larger than 7Gb? Honestly... who does he think he is? Who wants a hell of a story, that's drastically deapened by cut-scenes and radio talks? Who wants better sound? Who wants a larger variety of textures? Seriously... Kojima is against gamers......

I for one, will be incredibly happy.../shock?

Powerslave said:
Am I the only one who LOVES multiple-discs? It felt so grand and epic when all of a sudden the screen with "Insert Disc 2..." appeared. It made the game feel so big(time).

If that's the case the 360 version will be the most epic game ever made.

Powerslave said:

Was rather annoying on the Dreamcast which had quite a lot of multi-discers, D2 had 4 discs and it was like 6 hours long. Same with Fear Effect 2 on the PS1.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Powerslave said:

Sorry but... what? I can understand someone not bothering with it (I didnt bother with Resident Evil 2 myslef), but to LOVE multiple discs is like sadomasochism

Pimpbaa said:
It doesn't magically increase the amount of ram the system has. Regardless of how big the disc size is, the ps3 still only has 512 megs of ram. A bigger disc will simply mean a longer game (or more numerous and longer cutscenes). The only way this would result in bigger assets is if they implement streaming, which would mean no load times at all.

Can't believe I'm posting in this thread!

MGS3 (And 2 I think) stream vocals for guards and bosses during the game. On my PS2, I could always hear the dvd drive seeking just before someone was about to speak.
It made finding The End with the directional mic much easier!

Theoretically, you could fill up all 50GB with vocals for the guards. Why not give each one his own voice actor?! I doubt that's what they'll do, but it's an example.

TTP said:
Sorry but... what? I can understand someone not bothering with it (I didnt bother with Resident Evil 2 myslef), but to LOVE multiple discs is like sadomasochism

You didn't bother with the two disc scenarios or RE2 in general?

Busty

Banned
brandonh83 said:
If that's the case the 360 version will be the most epic game ever made.

:lol

Metal Gear Solid 4: The Cecile B Demille Edition for the 360 CONFIRMED.

...with Charlton Heston as Generic Military Authority Figure No. 2

cedric69

MickeyKnox said:
It's all about lossless audio, it's going to be a sensational surround sound experience.
If that's what we need 50GB for, I call this crap from the get go.
Lossless in a game is total bullshit. Lossless might be important for audiophiles, for videogames... can't believe somebody can fall for this marketing shit.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
cedric69 said:
If that's what we need 50GB for, I call this crap from the get go.
Lossless in a game is total bullshit. Lossless might be important for audiophiles, for videogames... can't believe somebody can fall for this marketing shit.

i guess we found someone who'd rather have midi than stereo sound

Top Bottom