• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami bringing Suikoden 1 & 2 PSone to PSN and VITA. #isthisreallife #basedkonami

Maxim726X

I actually have a save from Suikoden 1 backed up with all 108 characters... Now I have to figure out a way to get that on my Vita so I can get whatever extra cool shit unlocks when you had all of the stars from the first game.

Is there a feature in the Vita that backs up PS1 memory cards?

scurker

How short? I don't have the patience for archaic, long and slow traditional jRPGs anymore. Im willing to give S2 a fair chance since I've been hearing for 15 years how good it is but Im not sure I can do that for S1 as well. I am, however, open to being convinced that the inferior S1 is really worth a try.

It's a solid game in its own right, but not sure I would call it inferior. You could very easily finish the game in 8-10 hours if you run straight through the storyline. Getting all 108 stars takes a little bit longer but it's worth it. Suikoden II does stand on it's own, however if you play through Suikoden I first there's plenty of returning characters that you'll recognize and have a greater attachment/understanding of.

I'm glad to finally see this get a digital release, but this does make me sad that there's so many loose ends with Suikoden and the potential content for sequels is so great. Murayama's departure from Konami probably sealed the series death as they seemingly never tackled further storylines beyond the grasslands conflict. I wish we could see that ever rumored Suikoden bible released if we're never going to see a true sequel released in the series.

Tizoc

I actually have a save from Suikoden 1 backed up with all 108 characters... Now I have to figure out a way to get that on my Vita so I can get whatever extra cool shit unlocks when you had all of the stars from the first game.

Hmm my brother had this accessory for the PS3 that lets you transfer PSX or PS2 save files to it. You could then transfer that save data to the Vita via PC using a flash disk I guess.

linkboy

Look into getting the ps1/ps2 memory card adapter from the ps3 and transfer the save to a ps3, then transfer to the vita.

InstallBase

Neo Member
Hey Yuichi! Welcome!

Thank you for all your work getting this release!

Thanks for all of the props and positive attitude you guys have given me.
There are a handful of people who worked really hard on this and the community certainly helped by watching the Twitch.tv/Konami streams.

Question: How does one get status to post new threads.. I've already been rejected once =( what does it take for a game industry vet to get approved?? (Maybe a release of Suikoden 2???)

squall211

There are a handful of people who worked really hard on this and the community certainly helped by watching the Twitch.tv/Konami streams.

Question: How does one get status to post new threads.. I've already been rejected once =( what does it take for a game industry vet to get approved?? (Maybe a release of Suikoden 2???)

I think the normal way is to have something like 200 posts and/or a certain amount of time has passed. Maybe the mods make exceptions for verified insiders/industry workers. You could try to PM a mod and see.

Tizoc

If you don't mind me asking, someone mentioned that the NTSC ver. of the game suffered from the following issues
There's a significant difference between the NTSC and PAL versions, and it's mostly the very unfortunate audio bugs. Many of the War Battles play with no music in the American version (which is a heinous thing because it's such a great theme), the character Annalee has a number of songs that don't play, and the Hero is just left standing there in silence for a couple of minutes and can't move. The infamous TcDohl naming glitch is fixed. There's a recipe glitch where certain items will not appear as random drops if you get others random drop items early, but not in the European version. The end credits music is also borked, but works in the PAL version. There's probably more minor things, too. The game came out nearly a year later in Europe, so they had the time to polish it up more.

And really, certain games benefit from 60Hz more than others. The Suikoden games are turn-based story-heavy RPGs -- not twitch shooters. Visual differences are negligible, and I've only had a great experience with the PAL version of Suikoden II sans bugs. In fact, I will be annoyed if, for some reason, they put up the NTSC version. That's something to be worried about, not the inverse.

I'm still gonna get the game but am wondering if by any chance Sony allowed you to fix or resolve these issues?

Maxim726X

Hmm my brother had this accessory for the PS3 that lets you transfer PSX or PS2 save files to it. You could then transfer that save data to the Vita via PC using a flash disk I guess.

I actually got the adaptor and backed up my saves, which I was super stoked about... Now they're on my PS3.

So if I connect my Vita to my PS3 directly I can transfer the save data?

Tizoc

I actually got the adaptor and backed up my saves, which I was super stoked about... Now they're on my PS3.

I don't know if that'll work but try to copy them to your PC then transfer them to your Vita.
Mind you I get my save files off of Gamefaqs.com so I'm just going off of theory here ^^;

OmegaDL50

You do this with the PSP and since the Vita is the successor to the PSP, It probably works the same way.

Yes using the USB charge cable / data cable for your Vita you should be able to copy your saves from the Vita to the PS3 and vice versa.

batrush

Couldn't get into Suikoden 1 at all. Glad I didn't pay more than $3. Hopefully 2 has more interesting characters and a better plot.

linkboy

Yes, it'll work just fine. Use content manger to trasfer the saves over from the ps3.

InstallBase

Neo Member
I think the normal way is to have something like 200 posts and/or a certain amount of time has passed. Maybe the mods make exceptions for verified insiders/industry workers. You could try to PM a mod and see.

Relatively new to Neogaf.. who is a mod? can someone point me in the right direction?

Kyolux

That backlog, but I'm very tempted to get this anyway.

I remember renting it with a friend of mine back when it was fairly new. We didn't really got far into it for some reason. Only thing I remember was that there was a whole lot of characters.

Is it okay to skip 1? I really have a lot of games I actually want to play right now on my active backlog.

I'm almost positive the measure is 300 posts and 3 months of time - both have to pass.
It'll come when it comes - industry status has no effect here.

Welcome to the forum - you'll have to wait a bit, it seems. :-D

Meowster

Let's see if I can replay and get all the stars in a day and a half. Will have time off thanks to work and my full save is on the computer. Let's do this. ;)

Hugstable

Banned
Replaying Suiko 1 right now, and is it just me, or is the Minigame at the beginning with Marco (3 cups with the coin) always a winner if you pick the middle? I haven't played this game in so long that I forgot, but it's been the middle each and everytime for the last 20 picks. ummm I'm rich!

EDIT: uhh is there somthing wrong with my game? I heard there is always a crazy pattern to it... but it's been middle each and every time. 30 wins at 10,000 bits and counting. Da fuq

Meowster

Replaying Suiko 1 right now, and is it just me, or is the Minigame at the beginning with Marco (3 cups with the coin) always a winner if you pick the middle? I haven't played this game in so long that I forgot, but it's been the middle each and everytime for the last 20 picks. ummm I'm rich!

EDIT: uhh is there somthing wrong with my game? I heard there is always a crazy pattern to it... but it's been middle each and every time. 30 wins at 10,000 bits and counting. Da fuq
Is it all from one play through (so you keep continuing)? Hm. That's interesting.

Sitrus

That backlog, but I'm very tempted to get this anyway.

I remember renting it with a friend of mine back when it was fairly new. We didn't really got far into it for some reason. Only thing I remember was that there was a whole lot of characters.

Is it okay to skip 1? I really have a lot of games I actually want to play right now on my active backlog.

It's possible to skip, but you will miss some recruitable characters, some side stories, some references(okay, lots due to Victor and Flik :)), but its story is pretty self-contained.

Hugstable

Banned
Is it all from one play through (so you keep continuing)? Hm. That's interesting.

Yup, that was pretty damn strange to say the least. Sitting at a pretty 500k bits now. If I remember right though equipment and stuff in this game gets pretty expensive later on. Plus I remember their being some dice game where you can earn alot of money, been awhile since I played though. Don't know what's up with Marco in my game though, he never used to be like that when I played a long time ago.

Kyolux

It's possible to skip, but you will miss some recruitable characters, some side stories, some references(okay, lots due to Victor and Flik :)), but its story is pretty self-contained.

How long are they to get through? Like what's the shortest time for a first playthrough if you don't care about being a completionist (only because I have so many games on my playlist right now)

Hugstable

Banned
How long are they to get through? Like what's the shortest time for a first playthrough if you don't care about being a completionist (only because I have so many games on my playlist right now)

Last time I played Suiko 1 it took me 21 hours, but that was all 108 stars of destiny, I'm sure the game is much quicker without some of those harder optional bosses lol. Suiko 2 is around 35-40 hours if I remeber correctly

Yup, that was pretty damn strange to say the least. Sitting at a pretty 500k bits now. If I remember right though equipment and stuff in this game gets pretty expensive later on. Plus I remember their being some dice game where you can earn alot of money, been awhile since I played though. Don't know what's up with Marco in my game though, he never used to be like that when I played a long time ago.

If you go middle then right (could be left), you can win twice every time off the hop. Just exit out and start again. I usually raise about 200-300k with Marco off the hop and that'll see me through until you get Gespar

Get a memory card adapter for ps3, copy the save over to your system, copy it from the ps3 to the vita.

Apparently these are hard to get now...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K1GZIU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yup, that was pretty damn strange to say the least. Sitting at a pretty 500k bits now. If I remember right though equipment and stuff in this game gets pretty expensive later on.

That is strange. I mostly played the dice game, so I never noticed a pattern with the cups. And yeah, I think equipment prices double every level, or something like that. Leveling a character up to the highest weapon level can quickly drain all your funds, which is unfortunate because in a way it discourages playing with other characters than the ones you've invested money in.

p.s. my favorite Suiko 1 character is the hawk girl. Not really a major character, but just thought she had a great design and was a badass.

Will Suikoden II come with the first game for $10?

I don't believe so; they are separate SKUs, unless Konami does a bundle. But considering the eBay prices for Suikoden II, and the fact that it was long thought to never be re-released, $10 is totally reasonable.

Okay, so as a person who's been wanting to play Suikoden II for a long time just due to how everyone raves about it as an amazing JRPG...is the original Suikoden worth picking up as well? Honestly not sure if I should get both or not.

Okay, so as a person who's been wanting to play Suikoden II for a long time just due to how everyone raves about it as an amazing JRPG...is the original Suikoden worth picking up as well? Honestly not sure if I should get both or not.
Worth it. 5.99 for a very good RPG, even if it's short. It also has ties to the 2nd.
So wait, will this be available on ps4?
It will be once Sony decide to release an emulator. Until then, nope.

Might as well. The save (and a character you can't get otherwise) can be loaded by Suiko II. Suikoden I is pretty easy, the combat system isn't great, and it's suffers from some ugly texturing, but it has a decent story, good character dialogue, and some interesting gameplay elements that other JPRGs don't.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if they fixed the bugs in Suikoden II like the Suiko 1 name bug (like if my protag's name in Suiko 1 is Tir, his name will be TcDohl in Suiko 2)...

Top Bottom