• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami shuts down Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Arena (PC/Browser) less than a year after launch

Takao

Banned
zrzuysV.png

https://www.duelarena.konami.com/index.php

Duel Arena launched in June as a F2P browser replacement for Yu-Gi-Oh! Online. It honestly wasn't very good.

This is the second f2p browser Yu-Gi-Oh! game to be shut down in as many years. Konami shut down the desktop version of the casual-aimed Yu-Gi-Oh! BAM last year, though the mobile version persists.

Duel Generation (F2P/Mobile) is still ongoing.

the only hope for non-f2p

RE_Player

Duel Generation is ok but lacks polish.

Konami should really bring full on games like Tag Force to everything. From iPad to PS4.

TI82

Banned
I remember a non browser based one but still online game in the early 2000s. Was official I think? Game was really fun and free. I remember playing against a kid from Peru who kept saying Peru is #1 at Yugioh and how America is trash players. I beat him and said "no wonder Peru stinks...you all stink at yugioh!!!"

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This sounds like a great idea, MMO card game. Too bad it didn't work out. Pokemon should really try this.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Konami need to believe in the heart of the cards and just give the license back or sell it to some good/competent publisher who can do YuGiOh justice and give the fans good games.

sibarraz

Banned
I remember a non browser based one but still online game in the early 2000s. Was official I think? Game was really fun and free. I remember playing against a kid from Peru who kept saying Peru is #1 at Yugioh and how America is trash players. I beat him and said "no wonder Peru stinks...you all stink at yugioh!!!"

Are you sure that you weren't playing a dota game?

sibarraz

Banned
Konami should look more at MTGO or Pokemon TCGO rather than hearthstone, the idea is not to destroy their core business that is the physical game which still sells very well

Takao

Banned
Maybe they are preparing the Oculus Rift version with 3D models.

This would be cool but it costs money, so it's not going to happen. :(

Nope, was yugioh and I loved it lol.

It was given on a disc I got with a monthly shonen jump I remember that much

Yeah, that's Yu-Gi-Oh! Online.

Duel Generation is ok but lacks polish.

Konami should really bring full on games like Tag Force to everything. From iPad to PS4.

Even Tag Force isn't much of a full on game anymore. TFSP lacked a lot of the frills from the earlier games.

Sou Da

Konami should look more at MTGO or Pokemon TCGO rather than hearthstone, the idea is not to destroy their core business that is the physical game which still sells very well

There's already a long running fanmade browser game with Pokemon TCGO level of production value for Yugioh, trying to do an official version of that won't work.

This sounds like a great idea, MMO card game. Too bad it didn't work out. Pokemon should really try this.

f2p mmo, multiplatform (pc, mac, linux, ps360, ps4, xb1, wii u, vita, 3ds, android, ios, tizen, jolla) with candy pack mega boosters from 2.99$ to 99.99$, all tier one pokemons free, want more pay for packs, seasonal pass, pay to evolve system if you are too busy to play and level up!

watch iwata dance "Money Maker" on a nintendo direct while showing the middle finder to his investors and shit

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
We still have 25 days left to party it up!

I still can't believe they pumped out a 3DS version with no multiplayer. Who wants to play children's card games alone?

TI82

Banned
We still have 25 days left to party it up!

I still can't believe they pumped out a 3DS version with no multiplayer. Who wants to play children's card games alone?

Or that super weird GBA game that followed the rules of the show not the actual game.

Neo Dark

Err what? Pokemon already has an online TCG

Didn't they release something like that on iOS?
Even before that. Pokemon TCG online has been around since 2011. They just added ipad support to it last year. Before it was only limited to PC and Mac.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

Anyways... This makes me wonder the direction duel generation will head. They really need a bit of an overhaul to the duel generation interface to be done. Otherwise make a desktop version. The buttons are just small and the scrollbars just weren't made for touch devices

Sandfox

Konami waited to long to give us a proper game so the fans made one and now they'll see zero money because of it.

Complaining about made up rules in Yu-Gi-Oh seems a tad ironic.

The real problem with Yugioh is how the game has "slowly" been power creeping over the years.

Boogiepop

Hopefully now they'll put out a non-butchered game on 3DS. Because trying to funnel people towards this to sink more money is about the only reason I can think of for what happened to the 3DS game.

Honestly never even bothered giving it a go.

I'm still incredibly salty from when Konami pulled the plug on Yu-Gi-Oh! Online. The prices were less, but if you compare the amount you got (cards) to how much you paid, you were essentially paying the same for a virtual version of actual Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. Then, one day, everyone's spent money went straight down the drain.

I can't say I didn't see it coming, but it infuriated me none the less.

Top Bottom