• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Trending as PlayStation Fans Urge Sony to Buy Konami as a Response to MS's Acquisition of Zenimax

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntown

Banned
I would rather them buy some of Konami's IP's but if Konami would not sell then buy the whole company and get rid of all pachinko and other stuff.

No they don't need to buy Konami.

What Sony could do is get the rights for their IPs and actually develop some new games in those respective series because Konami refuse to - maybe even contract certain devs to do so. A new MGS from Kojima and a new Castlevania from Iga. Those would be great.

BRZBlue

They don't need to buy the company, just get console exclusivity for their key franchises. Buying publishers is all well and good, but if you're a platform holder you just paid for a hefty management layer that potentially you have no need for!

People seem to forget this about the Zenimax deal.

Its all fine now, but MS is gonna be chomping at the bit to cut costs and put their own management in positions over there. Bethesda isn't going to be "independent" for long.

MiguelItUp

People are so sad, Jesus Christ, lmao.

I'd love to see Konami make games again. Good games at that. But uhhhh, yeah, doubt.

Last edited:

Jagz

They don't need to buy anyone; their 1st party games are still among the best system sellers in the world. The only major thing Sony needs to do, is bring their games to PC, day and date with PS5, which would increase their overall profitability.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Keihart

This is so fucking cringe...
iu

Also, what the fuck it's up with people wanting IPs? it's not like the name means anything to the quality of the games...something like Spiderman only works because you have Imsomniac doing it and the IP it's not precisely about amazing games, but the character of Spiderman bringing fans of other media like movies and comics to the game. There is nothing stopping World Wide Studios on making a good survival horror game by team Siren or Kojipro making a stealth game, if they are not doing those it's just because they don't want to.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I grew up on Castlevania, Metal Gear, Silent Hill etc ...

Buying Konami for these IPs would be incredibly stupid. They are the past, and they will never again reach the heights they enjoyed when they were the new fresh thing.

Focus on moving forward. This goes for all game companies really.

Maybe someone buying Konami is what is needed to finally see some games from them. I don't see them being bought though. Merger/buyout begging is probably going to be the new Port begging.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Why are Sony fans so insecure? I think Sony's lot of IPs can stand up to MS, even with the Bethesda acquisition.
I just thought it was crazy to see Konami trending, especially given the reason. Konami is certainly no Zenimax, so it's a pretty ridiculous suggestion/comparison. But I think most people would agree that Konami's IPs would be better off with just about anyone else.

JLB

Banned
Konami? Wat? Xbox trolls made that stupidity of a trend right? Theres plenty of better options: Capcom, Rockstar or Square to begin with.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I don't really think there's any comparison between Zenimax and Konami, but it would be great to see SOMEONE do something with their legendary IPs. Hell, maybe Sony could even add a clause to give them exclusive pachinko rights. Everybody wins.

Would you want Sony to buy Konami? I'd love to see someone make a decent Castlevania or Metal Gear, and we all know it's not going to be Konami.

Edit: Here's a story on it: https://gamerant.com/sony-buy-konami/

nL2IeCR.jpg

DJT123

No coalition of any importance is searching for Konami games. It would just be a reckless tit for tat so obviously it's not going to happen anyway.

Fuck you guys. PES is the best football/soccer franchise around.

And no, it would be a disaster if Konami went exclusive. Especially for Sony since PC gaming will be affected.

Illo

... Is it bad I want this because not because I like the games. But because Konami is wasting their IP's and a acquisition by any company at this point would be for the best for those IP's.

I would be fine if they bought it because then they would start making games again. Its more likely that they would buy/license Metal Gear and Silent Hill from them.
if sony cant afford take two then i would prefer sony to get capcom then konami. No offence i do love devil may cry. Lost planet street fighter and monster hunter

phil_t98

#SonyToo
On here everybody pretending it’s not a big deal that Microsoft bought Bethesda but Twitter going mad and saying Sony need to buy Konami 🙈🙈

CAB_Life

Here’s where the Twitter warriors will finally learn that big corp/ pharma/ tech honestly don’t give two shits about their opinions.

Also: Konami just make shitty pachislot machines now anyway.

Last edited:
pointless. There is nothing to buy other than IPs. Then sony would be sat with a bunch of Ips they can't make due to not having enough studios.

Iirc Konami took itself off the stock exchange to prevent hostile takeovers and such. Fairly sure their board is made up of Hobgoblins, orcs and Smaug the dragon that parked his fat ass on all those wonderful IP and WON'T let go of even A SINGLE ONE.

jakinov

Them buying Konami would not help gaming as a whole. It just helps fanboys feel good about their platform. Microsoft acquiring Bethesda arguably does help gaming because it at least helps Microsoft with gaming technology which they lack and help keeps Xbox alive and kicking which leads to healthy competition against PlayStation who has been dominating them lately.

Actually makes perfect sense.

Konami don't have the heart to make games anymore, that is more than apparent. So why not Sony buy the IP that are intrinsically linked to Playstation and do something with them? Konami themselves can continue making novelty toys or whatever they are doing these days.

Sitting on the MGS franchise is a crime, but without Kojima it isn't shit either. Konami will never work with Kojima again, but Sony does. Metal Gear is a Sony franchise. Silent hill too.

Elcid

Banned
This is stupid AF. Granted, Sony could do great things with those IPs, but Sony doesn't need to go buy a studio because Microsoft bought one. That's just dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom