• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Respawn's Game Xbox 360/720 Only, always-online, FPS, Includes Details

Not sure how much sense it would make to have a game like this being a timed exclusive though (depending of course for how long time it would be exclusive). If they plan to iterate hard on the IP I would say a sequel going multi-plat seems more likely.

If it is a launch game it would make sense for Microsoft to lock that down for a year or two to help boost 720 sales. Once all the people who have bought a 720 to play it have bought one, then you let them publish it wherever they want. That's how I was kind of viewing it anyway.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hard to see why EA would allow this to happen unless the earlier rumors about them being in bed with MS are truer than we were led to believe.

Why did Epic get in bed this gen? Marketing dollars to a new series is a huge investment. Not to mention them wanting to push for always online.

Arnie

Would be fucking insane.

Exclusive from the creators of Modern Warfare. Almost guaranteed to be good.

Pessimistic comments are so expected and ridiculous.

1-D_FTW

Certainly fascinating if it's not coming to PC too. Who would have ever thought someone would use Source for a console exclusive title?

Sony is going full Japan 3rd party/Indie and Xbox going full Western Dudebro 3rd party exclusives me thinks.

1358644884917.jpg

sounds good.

Dysun

Microsoft needed some big stuff to bring in early adopters, I guess this is the beginning of that. Unfortunate since third party exclusives don't really help the consumer at all.

Wow, this is a huge coup for Microsoft if true.

A mech game by the makers of COD sounds very intriguing.

Looks like Peter Moore still has some connections over there.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I would imagine if this also means PC it'll be apart of some new MS XBOX initiative (even something like, buy on 360, unlock on other devices or some shit SteamPlay style).

It sounds like the sort of extra-ballsy move that Microsoft would want to make. An exclusive with "From the makers of CoD4" on the cover would be a pretty big deal.

If the rumors are true Sony is doing a little more then moneyhatting. They are actually helping finish the game so it is far more likely to stay exclusive.

Is there a citeable source for that? And if true it would give Sony a degree of ownership over the IP. Not even 15% in shares can give Sony that much power imo.

wildfire

Banned
We've heard from other sources that Microsoft is not where they want to be at this point in the pre-launch development of Durango. A reliable source—one who was not part of our reporting about the Respawn game—tells us that Microsoft is as much as six months behind in producing content for the new console, despite an expected late-2013 launch.

In before complaints about comparing Xbox Infinity 2014 with WiiU 2013.

I think Sony might have a deal in place for GTAV already for everyone talking about it.

It was demoed to the press running on ps3 and someone did spot a giant GTAV sign at a shoot for a Sony advert last week. They at least have a marketing thing going.

Money can change things though. Who knows maybe MS gets Red Dead.

Zeppelin

If it is a launch game it would make sense for Microsoft to lock that down for a year or two to help boost 720 sales. Once all the people who have bought a 720 to play it have bought one, then you let them publish it wherever they want. That's how I was kind of viewing it anyway.

Sure, but by then they could have a sequel out and if it's multiplayer only it wouldn't make much sense to even bother to try and sell the first game to PS4 owners. Just market the sequel to them as well.

Of the two, I'm definitely glad they didn't lock Destiny up as exclusive, but Respawn's game sounds sort of cool too. I get some Starhawk vibes from that description, just with more epic vehicles.

I could see MS rotating the three(Halo, Black Tusk, Respawn) for yearly shooters, or if Respawn's game is a timed-exclusive I'm sure whatever Black Tusk is cooking up is going to be propped up to replace Gears and rorate with Halo.

Indeed, I wonder if Epic continues their exclusivity with whatever their next big franchise is? Gears seems to have run its course so I would imagine Microsoft would be looking to re-up on that relationship.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
You mean released on PS3, 360, and Durango?
Hmm I could see that, but I still think its very unlikely.

Yeah you're probably right. One would think it may be an easy get though and could swing some consumers over to Xbox. I, for one, would be really tempted to get a new Xbox if that was the only place to get a next-gen version of GTA5.

Krilekk

Banned
you have yet to hear any details about the game so how exactly do you know it's a good exclusive or a smart move for MS? lol and with this little arrangement you know that means... EA is back on Sony side. :D I wonder how Activision feels about all this, they're precious COD no longer the Apple of MS' eye. lol

maybe I missed the info but what others exclusives hasMS locked down exactly?

What if they have next gen CoD exclusive as well? All Sony showed was Destiny and that's not even exclusive, just has exclusive DLC. Sony puts all the money in 8 GB GDDR5, Microsoft puts it into exclusives. Well, that and the 1 billion a year they make from Xbox Live subs alone. They can basically get any game they want exclusively for the first or first two years where overall numbers are low enough so publishers don't care about multiplatform. Like they did with Call of Duty, Bioshock, Splinter Cell or Mass Effect this gen, all exclusive IPs at the beginning of this gen, then they were no longer needed to be exclusive nor wanted by the publishers to be limited to one platform. It will happen again and tears will be shed if 720 is the only next gen platform this year that gets CoD, GTA IV and Battlefield 4.

Did anyone read this?

Nothing better than "trusted sources".

It just seems unlikely that one person would know such detailed information on both Xbox and PS4 portfolios and their statuses. The only people who know that sort of information are higher-ups within Sony and MS. No third-party publishers or devs are aware of other projects, let alone whether they are ahead or behind of schedule. Seems fishy.

Plus, for all we know, the games they were making turned out to be not that fun, thus were cancelled. Rarely do you cancel a game, even if it's behind, if you believe that it will be fun and sell well (unless you're Duke Nukem Forever).

JaggedSac

Indeed, I wonder if Epic continues their exclusivity with whatever their next big franchise is? Gears seems to have run its course so I would imagine Microsoft would be looking to re-up on that relationship.

I am sure they dropped some large bags of money on Epic's porch to make some sort of game exclusive for Durango. Especially since they have such a good relationship with them.

Dlacy13g

MS throwing money at 3rd party developers. Nothing new.

So MS giving money to a 3rd party studio to make a game exclusively for them is bad....unless they buy that studio and have them 1st party then its ok for them to give the studio budget to make a game?

Top Bottom