• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Respawn's Game Xbox 360/720 Only, always-online, FPS, Includes Details

Damn, huge pickup for Microsoft. If this is true, they already have a new IP that has ridiculous sales potential. The next Xbox will likely continue to be the FPS-box and this game will only strengthen that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new Respawn IP outsells all of the games unveiled at the Playstation conference. The FPS market remains massive.

The difference between Microsoft moneyhatting this, and Sony moneyhatting Versus XIII - nothing.

We're in a cold war of IP's for exclusive hire.

Xater

Made with the Source engine and exclusive to one console? Sounds fishy. I can only see it being a timed exclusive to be honest.

luffeN

Did anyone read this?

We've heard from other sources that Microsoft is not where they want to be at this point in the pre-launch development of Durango. A reliable source—one who was not part of our reporting about the Respawn game—tells us that Microsoft is as much as six months behind in producing content for the new console, despite an expected late-2013 launch. Another tells us that Microsoft recently cancelled several internal next-gen projects because they were not coming together as hoped. These sources have told us that, comparatively, Sony is in better shape and further along with hardware and software development for PlayStation 4.

iMax

Put your conspiracy hats on, people... but do you think this has anything to do with this news?

I'm wondering if EA and Respawn have parted ways... and they're now working with Microsoft Studios for publishing?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Since Destiny had "From the makers of Halo", I'm fairly certain they can say that for this. And I would say that will definitely push units, it just takes the gamestop clerk to tell Joe Bro the makers of CoD made this to get the preorder.
It's a different situation Bungie did make Halo, Respawn didn't it was Infinity Ward (I know former IW devs formed Respawn).

lol so activision partners with microsoft and now microsoft does this, also a looming partnership with EA. I wonder what activision feels right now about that one thing.

Soriku

Sony is going full Japan and Xbox going full Western 3rd party exclusives me thinks.

Sony has a big Western focus now (should be apparent by looking at their Feb conference) so I doubt it. I'm sure we'll see some exclusive things for Sony too (whether it's games or content). JP devs will support PS4 even with exclusives without Sony even needing to strike deals.

prwxv3

The difference between Microsoft moneyhatting this, and Sony moneyhatting Versus XIII - nothing.

We're in a cold war of IP's for exclusive hire.

If the rumors are true Sony is doing a little more then moneyhatting. They are actually helping finish the game so it is far more likely to stay exclusive.

This is the only thing that could really change peoples minds about the always online stuff. Have good exclusive games. Very curious to see this game.

mnannola

If this game get released around the same time as Call of Duty...is this really that big of a deal for Microsoft? Most people will buy one game, and they will buy the one that says Call of Duty on it over one that says "Made by the developers of Call of Duty 4" or whatever. I think they will have to release this nowhere near COD in order for the franchise to compete with an already saturated Military FPS market.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
You show me where it says coming to Xbox or Nintendo. :p

You have to be seriously delusional to think that Diablo 3 is only coming to Sony made consoles.

Published by EA Partners Program? I thought that was shutting down?

I'm sure that the contract for this game was made many years ago, EA can't just tear it up because they're getting rid of the program.

I don't see why some people are excited. How are exclusives good for consumers in any way?

Maybe because some people are planning on owning the platform that will be home to the exclusives? Happens with every single platform ever in every single generation. Why fantasize that it's bad for consumers? It's only bad for certain people who have a strict allegiance to one platform or have sour grapes over not having the target one. It's only a rumor, anyway, but saying exclusives are bad for consumers is completely untrue since the only major reason we choose any fucking platforms over another is because of them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's a different situation Bungie did make Halo, Respawn didn't it was Infinity Ward (I know former IW devs formed Respawn).

Doesn't mean anything. They could simply say, "From the Directors of Call of Duty 4," like most movies do.

sleepykyo

Why? I'd rather play all the games without having to spend money on extra systems that I use once in a blue moon.

Bethseda games on the PS3 and Aliens Colonial Marine come to mind. Having the game exclusive to a system provides a strong incentive to the developers to make sure the game works and reduce the feeling that the game was compromised for the other.

Kusagari

Hard to see why EA would allow this to happen unless the earlier rumors about them being in bed with MS are truer than we were led to believe.

btkadams

Did anyone read this?
We've heard from other sources that Microsoft is not where they want to be at this point in the pre-launch development of Durango. A reliable source—one who was not part of our reporting about the Respawn game—tells us that Microsoft is as much as six months behind in producing content for the new console, despite an expected late-2013 launch. Another tells us that Microsoft recently cancelled several internal next-gen projects because they were not coming together as hoped. These sources have told us that, comparatively, Sony is in better shape and further along with hardware and software development for PlayStation 4.
interesting! maybe we will see microsoft purchasing more 3rd party exclusives early on because of this?

I cant see this still being a EA published game if this is true. Maybe MS bought them out of the deal and MS will publish.

Then again EA is super weird recently.

I expect more 2nd party reveals from MS though. They made some pretty big partnerships early last gen with Epic and Bioware. Only logical they would go out and do it again. Wasnt there a rumour they had a deal with IO?

Recently rumoured and has been heavily hinted at since the original reveal.

The only rumor I remember is someone making a thread on gaf about some guy on twitter speculating if it's always online or not. I don't know how you compare that to Kotaku specifically stating that Respawn's title is a multiplayer centric online shooter.

I hope this is true...

because if there are no big third party exclusives announced, there can be no big betrayaltons next gen.

and I REALLY like betrayaltons.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just providing humor.

Gotcha. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Anyway, I hope this game is multiplayer-focused in the way that Destiny is multiplayer-focused. If it's just a bunch of team battles or whatever I'm not all that interested.

Still, it's a nice get for MS.

Melchiah

Did anyone read this?

I wonder why that wasn't mentioned in the OP, as it's pretty crucial information.

More on the subject:
We'd also heard from an industry insider that Microsoft was aggressively trying to sign exclusive games for Durango. Given the lack of internal development at Microsoft—their internal studios, while talented, are outnumbered by those of Sony and Nintendo—and given some of the apparent recent stumbles and slowdowns internally, signing an exclusive Respawn-EA game would suit the Durango quite well.

JJD

I think this is a big coup for MS, but how long will the IP stay exclusive?

Mass Effect went multiplatform, Gears of War stayed exclusive.

I can't see how it would be advantageous for EA to have a big new franchise be platform exclusive.

Maybe MS real deal is with Respawn themselves considering they own the IP.

Makes me wonder why Respawn didn't just sign a deal with MS in the first place.

Top Bottom