• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Respawn's Game Xbox 360/720 Only, always-online, FPS, Includes Details

If this is true I'd say this is a huge advantage for M$ and Durango. Sony has shown that the number of triple-A exclusives doesn't matter if they don't attract a mainstream or advertise well. Microsoft could just have this and Halo and they'd be on top. Especially if on the box of the game it says "From the minds behind the Modern Warfare series".

What if they have next gen CoD exclusive as well? All Sony showed was Destiny and that's not even exclusive, just has exclusive DLC. Sony puts all the money in 8 GB GDDR5, Microsoft puts it into exclusives. Well, that and the 1 billion a year they make from Xbox Live subs alone. They can basically get any game they want exclusively for the first or first two years where overall numbers are low enough so publishers don't care about multiplatform. Like they did with Call of Duty, Bioshock, Splinter Cell or Mass Effect this gen, all exclusive IPs at the beginning of this gen, then they were no longer needed to be exclusive nor wanted by the publishers to be limited to one platform. It will happen again and tears will be shed if 720 is the only next gen platform this year that gets CoD, GTA IV and Battlefield 4.

There reasonably isn't enough money for MS to give to Activision to make CoD exclusive. Same with something like GTA. MS had to open their pocketbooks for some huge some of money just to get exclusive DLC for GTA4. The reason things like Bioshock and Mass Effect and initially CoD were exclusive this gen were because they launched early and Sony stumbled out of the gate with PS3. That made Xbox the only viable name in town at the time. It wasn't until Sony got their shit together that you started to see more parity.

Arnie

Respawn goes to Microsoft.

Final Fantasy goes to Sony.

Sony wins the battle so far (for me).

If this is the battle then Sony loses big time for the majority of consumers, including myself.

Final Fantasy needs a generation off, in my opinion.

If this is true I'd say this is a huge advantage for M$ and Durango. Sony has shown that the number of triple-A exclusives doesn't matter if they don't attract a mainstream or advertise well. Microsoft could just have this and Halo and they'd be on top. Especially if on the box of the game it says "From the minds behind the Modern Warfare series".

Lets be honest though the chances of this becoming the kind of hit even Halo is let alone COD is pretty dang slim. Still it was a smart move and if anyone could do it, its likely these guys.

If this game is any good, I'm already quite certain that is has significantly more sales potential than anything unveiled at the PS conference by a significant margin at least in the US. I don't have enough familiarity with other parts of the world though but I think this is a huge coup for Microsoft if true.

Snaku

Banned
The new game from Respawn is a futuristic multiplayer-centric online shooter, one of our sources says. The source describes the game as a battle of Davids and Goliaths. The Davids are heavily-armed foot soldiers. The Goliaths are the giant exosekeltons—Titans—that these soldiers can pilot. These Titans are big mech-style walkers that move with an agility not seen in games like Mechwarrior or Steel Battalions.

This concept has never, and will never catch on with the CoD dudebro crowd.

eso76

Of course third party exclusives were going to make a comeback.
For new consoles' launch, that is.
In two years, they'll be gone again.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Lets be honest though the chances of this becoming the kind of hit even Halo is let alone COD is pretty dang slim. Still it was a smart move and if anyone could do it, its likely these guys.

Especially when it has COD to go up against. COD is still a blockbuster, the 'from the mids of COD4' only goes so far when you're going up against the actual COD games.

If this is the battle then Sony loses big time for the majority of consumers, including myself.

Final Fantasy needs a generation off, in my opinion.

And considering how average those FF games are lately, I don't see what Sony "wins" with this exactly other than a part of the market they already own.

Krilekk

Banned
Indeed, I wonder if Epic continues their exclusivity with whatever their next big franchise is? Gears seems to have run its course so I would imagine Microsoft would be looking to re-up on that relationship.

There are rumours that Epic quits game development alltogether after Fortnite - which might be the reason why Black Tusk exists in the first place (they are supposedly working on an UE4 title).

Dammit. 2 days ago I said I wouldn't believe any rumors good or bad about the Durango until May 21st. Next gen speculation is too hard to quit:(

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
welp, I hope these stay rumors cause both the exclusivity and always online suck imo.

I was really looking forward to this project too oh well.

AHA-Lambda

Our source was less clear on whether the game would have a single-player mode but speculated that players might be able to go into maps and battle only against bots. They did not think that the game would have a standalone linear campaign, which might disappoint those who enjoyed the excitement and narrative daring of Modern Warfare's solo campaigns.

Well, I'm out.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

borius

Neo Member
Source? worse than BF4?
exoscheletons?
ALWAYS ONLINE???

I think most likely I won't care about this game, but who knows..
anyway we have both hawken and destiny.

Good thing is that MS is paying for exclusives.

serious people believe this? Respawn own by EA, and EA loves money...i doubt its a console exclusive ..if anything its probably just be time exclusive like 3 month early on durango and probably a few weeks early on the DLC

Krilekk

Banned
Especially when it has COD to go up against. COD is still a blockbuster, the 'from the mids of COD4' only goes so far when you're going up against the actual COD games.

These guys created Medal of Honor and made it huge, then went to Activision and created Call of Duty and made it larger than MoH ever was (or any game ever). If anybody can beat CoD it's Ex-Infinity Ward/Respawn.

Also Respawn is not owned by EA. They are indie, EA is just publishing the game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No single player campaign? Source engine style graphics?

I dunno how big a deal this could really be at this point...advertising it as "from some of the guys who brought you Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" has kinda lost it's shine. I mean, I'm sure it could be a good game, but it doesn't sound like a huge COD-esque game like I thought it would be.

These guys created Medal of Honor and made it huge, then went to Activision and created Call of Duty and made it larger than MoH ever was (or any game ever). If anybody can beat CoD it's Ex-Infinity Ward/Respawn.

or it's somebody else making something completely different. The "next big thing" is usually not a derivative of the old big thing. When CoD's popularity dies, it won't be because gamers found a new FPS to play, it will be because they became sick of FPS games.

I do wonder how MS will balance between pushing this and pushing COD. It would be beneficial for them to get this be the next big thing but it is still unproven IP. If they can position it as the ''next gen COD'' they will be on a very good position going next gen.

But yeah CoD and BF4 gonna give one hell of a fight for the dudebro crowd.

Mileena

Banned

While MoHAA and CoD1/2/4 are all great, they've clearly shown that they have the ability to make a terrible fucking game. Their last game was Modern Warfare 2, enough said.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Also Respawn is not owned by EA. They are indie, EA is just publishing the game.

MoH was hardly the blockbuster COD was when COD became huge. It's a much bigger hill to climb this time around if they want to take over COD, and only being on one console isn't going to help that.

Top Bottom