• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

last game you gave up on

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Wasteland 2 on Xbox One. I picked it up again after a long break..and it looks awful. The UI and overall structure is all over the place. It might be better on PC.

Majora's Mask 3D.

This is the third time I've tried to play through MM (twice on n64) and I just can't get into it. The dungeons are pretty average and I don't dig constantly doing busy work while in a constant rush. The vibe, story, music, visuals are all great, but the gameplay loop just annoys the piss out of me.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Nioh.

On release I was not convince at all (I had play the demo) and didn't buy it.
I am huge fan of the Souls and even if after playing the demo I knew it was not a "Souls like" like many describe it.

Still last year I gave it a try... Forced myself to go around half of the game I would say...
Nothing interesting for me. The story/lore is bland, I dislike the system of "missions" (Do a mission, go to the map, select the next location, Do the mission,...), the gameplay is meh and really not a huge fan of the loot system.
I don't even speak about the "twilight" missions and other variants that make you replaying the same level over and over again.

In short, it's looks for me like an borderline average beat'em all.
In plus, it's one of the rare game I bought digital so I can't even resale it...

Roberts

I will definitely get back to Vampyr (basically, will start over), because I really liked it, but three or four hours into the game I had to make a certain choice in the dialogue - I thought I made the right choice and it turned out to be a bummer one with bad consequences. Felt that the game didn't give me enough info about it and I just didn't feel like continuing.

Hostile_18

Banned
I feel alot better about giving up on Nioh now, thanks guys. Basically I just wasnt having fun with it. I've completed all the Soulsborne games but I tried against that bat lady boss for about 5 hours and finally beat her but it didn't feel satisfying like other games do... just emotionally traumatic lol. Shortly after than got put in a repeat mission on a previous level and thought fuck it, lifes too short. No where near as good as From Softwares games IMO.

Red Dead 2. It just didn't click for me. Too long and drawn out. I just wasnt having fun on a moment to moment basis. Played Odyssey shortly after and it felt night and day better.

gela94

Yep, Red Dead Redemption 2.

It's just a bad game, i.e. where the sum of its parts don't come together & the bad outweighs the good. What's good? The horse-riding is IMO okay, with the horse reactions & physics working well (certainly far better than Assassin's Creed Odyssey or Witcher 3 in the horse riding parts). I also like the guns & their feedback (with the caveat being auto aim must be disabled first). Manual aim is a lot easier (i.e. I can control which enemy I shoot first instead of the game guiding me into difficulty) & it's a lot more satisfying. The graphics are also excellent on base ps4, with the image quality (no real ugly aliasing) making the landscape far more visually impressive on that console than other open world games. Even though the framerate in towns is criminal.

What's bad? Arthur's movement (he controls like a tank & struggles to open cupboards or pick up loot). The "cores" are imbecilic nonsense. The inability to carry more than one pelt or animal carcass (for realism sake) is complete imbecility considering Arthur can carry a completely comical & impossible number of bottles. The story & characters are absolute SHIT. Their presentation is very professional & Hollywood-esque, but the actual plot itself is disgusting hypocritical shit whereby a bunch of travellers with a hatred of America preach "morality" whilst murdering, stealing & acting like total shitbags. F Arthur, F Dutch, F them all. They're so whingy, nihilistic & disgusting I couldn't stand listening to their bullshit for another minute (special mention to the gang who give Arthur all sorts of bad attitude... whilst he's the only one giving the camp huge amounts of money). None of this has any impact on a story which is determined to deconstruct 19th century America & give these characters the right to lecture me. F off Rockstar.

Oh & special mention goes to the "Arthur gets anal raped by a homo rapist" side quest. Great stuff. It's like the devs were laughing in my face whilst playing their shitty game.
Well now I really wanna play it :pie_gsquint:

ruvikx

Banned
Did you play as Alexios or Kassandra? I'm only asking, because Kassandra is way more interesting as a character.

She's not. She still gets the same missions, same limited responses/decisions & same "exterminate Spartans & Athenians for personal profit" story arc. Narratively it's not great either way.

Roberts

She's not. She still gets the same missions, same limited responses/decisions & same "exterminate Spartans & Athenians for personal profit" story arc. Narratively it's not great either way.

Oh, sure. I was talking more about her as a character. It was refreshing to play with her because instead of being brooding and angry, she comes off as fun person with a sense of humor and other more charming personality traits. You get attached to her, it gives you motivation to play further and thus everything else becomes more interesting.

Animagic

Banned
I really enjoyed the game at first, but now that i'm doing the same shit on Chapter 19 at this point i'm only going through the motions to see the end of the game because of gone this far. The game started off super strong for me and I really liked it though I despise SRPGS, but then it just got to be the same things over and over which kinda made me lose interest.. Astral Chain coming along didn't help

Hoping to finish both before Links awakening and Ni no Kuni on Friday!

Well then, I’m probably going to sell it and get what value I can out of it. Thanks for saving me 😂

Teletraan1

Banned
That fractured butt whole game. I was enjoying the game and hit a fight that I have tried 50x, read strategies, watched videos but can't seem to do with the class I chose so fuck it.

IKSTUGA

These past few years I've been really picky about what I play. Less time, more options -> no time for BS.

1. Dark Souls, I hate redoing sections and this game kinda demands that
2. Monster Hunter World, way too much fluff and combat feels kinda janky
3. Hellblade: Senua something, too much walking and stuff
4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, still feels like a Chinese version of God of War, I'd rather just play the real thing or some other badass HnS like DMC or Bayonetta
5. Hyrule Warriors, it was fun for like 5 minutes, repetitive crap
6: Alien Isolation, seems like a good game, but I'm way too much of a pussy to play first person horror games
7. One of those 2D Assassin's Creeds, just boring
8. Red Dead Redemption 2, a more clunky version of a game I somewhat liked
9. Crypt of the Necrodancer, liked the idea, but it's just way too hard for me
10. Dead Cells, loved the game until I died... these roguelike games need to die, who the heck wants to redo stuff over and over again
11. Hollow Knight, something just felt wrong with this one

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I'm on the verge of giving up on Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I've been playing on Switch and the glitches and performance issues have been on my nerves the entire time, but I've hit a wall on a boss battle pretty deep into the game. I've hit a few boss battle walls but managed to suck it up and overcome (or in more than one case, a boss glitched out to my benefit) but I'm just tired of it at this point. It's a shame because Symphony of the Night is one of my all-time favorite games and I loved the GBA and DS Castlevanias, but I don't know if I have it in me to just persevere through it, especially when I wanna play Link's Awakening in a few days.

Sleepwalker

Re2 because im a clown that gets scared too easily :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also gave up on bloodborne way back, couldnt beat the nightmare guy, dude with a cage around his head. micolash? forget his name.

Gave up on metro exodus and the metro franchise in general, find it pretty mediocre.

Hellblade was pretty meh

Middle earth: Shadow of war: really liked it but got to the epilogue and decided it wasnt worth it. Watched the final cutscene on youtube.

Also never have I been more bored by a game than AC Oddysey, fuck me that was a terrible game.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Gutted to add this to the list but Sekiro...

I have completed and love all the Dark Souls/Bloodborne games but I just wasnt having any fun with Sekiro despite giving it a few hours;

- The graphics seem blurry.
- The world is no where near as memorable or unique as past games.
- It appears far too difficult to be fun.

I gave up in the first memory sequence going along the estate path with enemies with shields and pikes. A narrow line of about 15 enemies with more to go and dieing each time.

Griffon

Recently:

Yakuza 0 : The world is very fun to be in, but the fights are mindnumbingly shallow, it got old really fast. And the game uses those way too much.

W40K Mechanicus : It has a pretty good gameplay, but ultimately it's not the game I wished it was. It's a "it's me it's not you" situation, my search for the tactics game that fits my needs still goes on. I want to get into the tactical action faster and worry less about long term strategy and consequences.

Ion Fury : It's excellent for ~6 hours, but toward the end there's been a dip in level design quality and I can't muster the want to go on. I feel satisfied with what I played and don't feel the need to force myself further.

Zone of the Enders 2 remaster : Eh... after 2 hours of play I'm good. Fights are very repetitive and lack interesting tactics or strategies, and there's nothing else to it. It's very pretty but that's about it. I still like the idea of the series, but it needed another sequel to really get good.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Sekiro, need to get back to it at some point though. Got quite far, past genichiro and mount senpou and to the monkey fight but just gave up and never returned due to other games taking over.

OrionNebula

I will say Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

But I will finish this game at some point (when Ubi is actually done working on it and stop moving the goalposts around, that is). I’m too far deep down that road already just to give it up

But even when I complete it, I’ll still have the bitter taste of one of the most padded open world game I have ever played in my mouth - the endless fetch quests are even more bland than some of FFXV’s ones (and yet it started so well)

SteadiestShark

Neo Member
The Division 2. I finally got around to trying it on the free Uplay+ trial, but after a few hours and hitting level 10 - I couldn't take anymore and quit/uninstalled the game.

I don't even understand why I found it so boring and tedious as I quite enjoyed the first one, but something just seemed off this time around. :/

iconmaster

Banned
I'm on the verge of giving up on Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I've been playing on Switch and the glitches and performance issues have been on my nerves the entire time

It’s not a solution for your boss woes but we are supposed to get some significant graphics and performance improvements by the end of November. You could try again then.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
None yet. There are several games I stopped playing before finishing them -including difficult ones like Dark Souls 3, but I always stopped playing them because I found them terrible, not because of the difficulty.

JimiNutz

Banned
I give up on games all of the time.
Last one was Super Mario World.

Never played it before. Got about five worlds in but could no longer progress after completing a stage. Looked up a guide online and apparently I need to go back to earlier stages that I've already beaten and find some kind of secret exit.
Sounded long to me and the game wasn't actually that fun in the first place so dropped it there and then.

Ibara

Celeste. Love the game and I've beat it but I gave up trying to get all the strawberries. I'm not that good

FMXVII

Persona Q2.

I loved the first one, despite the non-existent everything else, due to the awesome EO-esque gameplay, character crafting, and party building.

Dunno what it was about Q2 that just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the fact that it took forever to finally get the whole cast. Maybe it was the way the skills were changed up. Maybe it was the way you could deck your characters out with new skills overriding their innate ones was just so incredibly dumb, and badly executed, considering Q1 only let you add 4,whilst still maintaining your characters core abilities, and thus their distinctness and individuality. Probably all of these.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Thumper. The difficulty spike begins somewhere around chapter 4. I've made it to chapter 6, but never finished it. Not enough tolerance for errors (it wouldn't have been an issue if it was only for 100% completion purposes). Also from the very beginning it was extremely annoying how the game wasn't explaining new mechanics. I had to rely on a youtube video twice to understand how to perform certain moves.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Red Faction Guerrilla, it's like the devs just didn't want you to have any fun at all. They built this amazing destruction engine and a pretty interesting world and decided to spam countless enemies to force you to always be on the run. I'm not saying it has to be Crackdown - you ARE a guerilla - but come on, do you need to spawn 20 enemies all around me with 10 snipers in the background already? Do you need to have health and ammo crates that don't actually top you off completely? The frustrating thing is about halfway through after you level up and gain abilities you start to get more control, then near the end they just jack up spawns and give all the enemies armor and shields so you're back to square one. I get frustrated just thinking about it.

FMXVII

Borderlands 3. I was so bored. The humor is cringe. I don't care about the story.

The story is actually worse than Diablo 3's.

How is that even possible?

I am currently only playing it to find godlike gear offline, and laugh at all the mooks who gullibly downloaded the patch based on the promise of "improvements".

jadedm17

^ Yall care about Borderlands3 story? Bad guys there, get cool guns is all i need. Admittedly that got me through 10000 plus hours of vanilla Destiny so im easy to please with loot shooters.

Also Hollow Knight. Loved the art, music, combat, general atmosphere.... Didnt love the backtracking and trying to figure out where to go.

A shame since Ori made me love metroidvanias. Guacamelee is going a lot better : I hate feeling lost and it seems to handle general direction better.

Last edited:

Wunray

The last of Us Remastered, the controls for aiming were absolute trash, and I say that as someone who completed RDR2.

^ Yall care about Borderlands3 story? Bad guys there, get cool guns is all i need. Admittedly that got me through 10000 plus hours of vanilla Destiny so im easy to please with loot shooters.

Also Hollow Knight. Loved the art, music, combat, general atmosphere.... Didnt love the backtracking and trying to figure out where to go.

A shame since Ori made me love metroidvanias. Guacamelee is going a lot better : I hate feeling lost and it seems to handle general direction better.
The bad guys are lame in borderlands 3. And it's hard to ignore the story when there is so much chatter going on.
In destiny 1 i had no idea what was going on until the taken king. It never bothered me. And the cringe dialogue was fun meme cringe, not cringe cringe. Unlike destiny 2 vanila and borderlands 3.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I dont remember ever giving up on a game. Maybe stopped playing for some reason and forgot to pick it up again, but never intentionally quit.
Majora's Mask 3D.

This is the third time I've tried to play through MM (twice on n64) and I just can't get into it. The dungeons are pretty average and I don't dig constantly doing busy work while in a constant rush. The vibe, story, music, visuals are all great, but the gameplay loop just annoys the piss out of me.
Someone doest know the Inverted Song of Time.

Thurible

Mass Effect 3 Definitive Edition for Wii U. I felt like I kind of was dropped in a series I wasn't fully engaged in despite the little comic explaining everything. Also, I kind of was afraid of alien relations scenes (are those graphic and could they be skipped?)

FMXVII

Unskippable Dialogue + Unskippable Cutscenes.

Combined, they = half the campaign's length.

It is an ugly thing that is impossible to ignore.

That Girl is on Fire.

Like Portia, in Shakespeare.

Last edited:

drganon

Destiny 2. I kept thinking I'd get back to it, but so far I haven't. I'm afraid octopath traveler might suffer the same fate.

xrnzaaas

I don't think a lot of people playing B3 are taking interest in the story, but it doesn't change the fact that Calypso Twins suck big time compared to Jack.

Oh and it also doesn't help that cut-scenes aren't skippable.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Vampyr. Like some sort of dribbling idiot I decided to play on hard despite there being no benefit to do so. It was a struggle but I got to the end. I was level 40-ish and every enemy was under me in level. Boom, last boss is over lvl50 and at the point I'm at it's literally impossible to level up any more so I'm fucked. This game's level system is utter trash and I can't be bothered dealing with it anymore.

GrayFoxPL

Cuphead. So boring. The graphics were its only redeeming factor. As a shooter it was terrible. It's like the run n gun version of Rise of the Robots.
Rise of the Robots bad, haha.

Didn't play it, but I always thought the gameplay didn't look "Contra good".

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Wow! It just came to me that I haven't given up on finishing a game in quite a while. Probably Metroid II, not Samus Returns, I finished that one, really Metroid II.

TexMex

I give up on Skyrim every other year or so. I've tried multiple times to make myself enjoy it and see what everyone else does, but goddamn that game is so fucking boring.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe the last game I give up on playing was Resident Evil 4... the cabin was too boring for RE game to the point to make me fell asleep every time I tried to play it.
After that I stopped to get things in Flash/Promotion sales.
So now I buy only what I know I will play.

Last edited:
Blazing Chrome. Great Contra style game in concept but shooting down/diagonal and switching directions stops your character in their tracks putting them in a prone shooting position, or makes them let go of handholds. Given about half the game is enemies below you this made it unplayable for me so I dropped it. It's too bad, because Contra style shooters are usually so much fun to play despite being just about impossible to finish.

kunonabi

I also gave up on Nioh. I liked it and was making progress but it was just going to take forever to finish and I have other games to get done. If I get through my backlog I'll probably pick it up again.

Top Bottom