• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Supper: Official prologue film for Alien: Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I thought Prometheus was bad too. I was more referring to your equating people drinking, eating, and enjoying each's other company to a frat party, or finding it hard to believe scientists would socialize or have any kind of fun. :lol

If you can imagine it being amongst the most important missions of all time, I dunno I would take it a little more seriously. Wouldn't contraband be banned on these missions? I keep coming back to the NASA comparison. I can see them having a drink to calm the nerves but arm wrestling, joking around, gambling? I'd expect them to act like in 2001 not a jock comedy. There's plenty of drama in the set up without the need for characters who aren't believable in this situation.

Boem

I just think we don't need any more Alien films. Especially if they're just going to make more almost-remakes of those old classics. I'm not the kind of guy who gets angry at Jurassic World for that sort of thing, because come on, it was always a theme park ride of a movie, who cares. But Promotheus and now especially this are trying to stick way too close to the originals. It feels like an uninspired imitation on a bigger budget. It's that kind of thing that makes it all feel a bit forced and soulless.

For the last couple of years, I just don't really have much faith in Ridley Scott as a filmmaker anymore. Or, rather, as a storyteller. They might be fun action movies, but I can't see them becoming actual true classic Films (that poncy, pretentious capital F is intentional there).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If you can imagine it being amongst the most important missions of all time, I dunno I would take it a little more seriously. Wouldn't contraband be banned on these missions? I keep coming back to the NASA comparison. I can see them having a drink to calm the nerves but arm wrestling, joking around, gambling? I'd expect them to act like in 2001 not a jock comedy. There's plenty of drama in the set up without the need for characters who aren't believable in this situation.

Try to imagine it as that one last night in your house before you pick up everything and move away from your family and friends to another side of the world...

Only they are leaving everything they've ever known including their planet forever. About to step into cryosleep and set their ship to autofly their asses into nothingness from which they most definitely will never come back. Fuck... there has to be some potential for them to never even wake up from cryo. Also remember that contraband, extreme care and a somewhat more somber/serious attitude for astronauts in NASA probably somewhat stems from the very fragile nature of their flight/ISS/supplies. If they were in some artificial gravity super tanker built in space for space flight with gyms and real beds and all that shit they would probably relax a lil bit.

Still - suspicious af about this movie after prometheus. I wish they would just do a movie about space jockeys without any humans in it and then call it a day.

I just think we don't need any more Alien films. Especially if they're just going to make more almost-remakes of those old classics. I'm not the kind of guy who gets angry at Jurassic World for that sort of thing, because come on, it was always a theme park ride of a movie, who cares. But Promotheus and now especially this are trying to stick way too close to the originals. It feels like an uninspired imitation on a bigger budget. It's that kind of thing that makes it all feel a bit forced and soulless.

For the last couple of years, I just don't really have much faith in Ridley Scott as a filmmaker anymore. Or, rather, as a storyteller. They might be fun action movies, but I can't see them becoming actual true classic Films (that poncy, pretentious capital F is intentional there).

Yeah, basically everything after Aliens (maybe Alien 3, which has some character driven merit to its existence) has been an exercise in redundency. Does anyone even find the Alien scary anymore? Never mind the poor sequels, it's been on lunch boxes, comic books, video games, action figures, etc for several decades. How do you make what's essentially become a marketing commodity scary, or even interesting again? What story could you possibly tell that doesn't just continue to demystify and overexpose the Freudian little monsters even further? You can't out-horror Alien, and you can't raise the stakes higher than Aliens.

Shoeless

I'm okay with this and I'll keep an open mind until the film releases. I like the fact that Scott probably allowed these actors to do a bit of improv/cross talking for this last supper scene, that always makes things feel a bit more genuine, and, like the first Alien, you need these kinds of scenes in order to ground characters, establish relationships and make them feel more like people with pre-existing connections rather than just alien fodder, even though that's what they are.

It's a Ridley Scott science fiction movie, so I'm basically on board with this anyway, but this prologue sets the tone and doesn't feel offensive to me. I'll keep my expectations in check, but that's not a terrible start.

Yeah, basically everything after Aliens (maybe Alien 3, which has some character driven merit to its existence) has been an exercise in redundency. Does anyone even find the Alien scary anymore? Never mind the poor sequels, it's been on lunch boxes, comic books, video games, action figures, etc for several decades. How do you make what's essentially become a marketing commodity scary, or even interesting again? What story could you possibly tell that doesn't just continue to demystify and overexpose the Freudian little monsters even further? You can't out-horror Alien, and you can't raise the stakes higher than Aliens.

You could raise the stakes in a "culminating" way, had they gone with the original plan of Hicks and Ripley getting back to Earth to find it under-siege. Alas... we got everything since.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Neat prologue. I'm certain the camaraderie and good vibes among the crew will endure through the movie's events. :p

I just want to know if the ship computers are using Windows 7 like in Prometheus. Best OS!

"When full-screening a video fails to hide the task bar." Funny how that wasn't caught.

I can see them having a drink to calm the nerves but arm wrestling, joking around, gambling? I'd expect them to act like in 2001 not a jock comedy. There's plenty of drama in the set up without the need for characters who aren't believable in this situation.

Either you have a skewed idea of what scientists and nerds like or what jocks like. I don't know which one.

Try to imagine it as that one last night in your house before you pick up everything and move away from your family and friends to another side of the world...

Only they are leaving everything they've ever known including their planet forever. About to step into cryosleep and set their ship to autofly their asses into nothingness from which they most definitely will never come back. Fuck... there has to be some potential for them to never even wake up from cryo. Also remember that contraband, extreme care and a somewhat more somber/serious attitude for astronauts in NASA probably somewhat stems from the very fragile nature of their flight/ISS/supplies. If they were in some artificial gravity super tanker built in space for space flight with gyms and real beds and all that shit they would probably relax a lil bit.

Still - suspicious af about this movie after prometheus. I wish they would just do a movie about space jockeys without any humans in it and then call it a day.

Maybe I exaggerated by saying they were partying like a frat house event. But I'd expect them to do that stuff on earth not wait until hours before undertaking a crucial mission. I'm mostly disappointed by this prologue after seeing Prometheus. Maybe this time they'll get it right, after all this is not in the film. But the very creation of this piece makes me nervous about the logic of this movies characters, which ruined the predecessor for me.

Either you have a skewed idea of what scientists and nerds like or what jocks like. I don't know which one.

I'm not suggesting all scientists act seriously, I'm just suggesting that for a mission of this importance that the characters act in accordance. I've said my piece now, I'll leave it alone for others to discuss.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I hated how much of a prometheus vibe this gave me, but I am still sort of hopeful.

The trailer was pretty lame too, I am hoping they just have a really shit marketing campaign.

That was good. Confused by Fassbender's presence though.

He's an android, so it makes sense there are multiple models of him

You could raise the stakes in a "culminating" way, had they gone with the original plan of Hicks and Ripley getting back to Earth to find it under-siege. Alas... we got everything since.

Yeah, I would have gladly watched James Cameron make that movie shortly after Aliens, but anyone else making it? Well...A v P Requiem is probably a good barometer for how that would turn out.

Rogan

Banned
Hope this is the last cringe-fanservice we are going to get. Franco as captain just makes me laugh, I doubt will be alive at the end. It looks fun though.

Spaghetti

Hm.

Wasn't feeling it. Too self-referential to the original Alien for my liking, I thought it totally jumped the fucking shark when
they did a chest-burster fakeout.

Fisty

Hm.

Wasn't feeling it. Too self-referential to the original Alien for my liking, I thought it totally jumped the fucking shark when
they did a chest-burster fakeout.

"The food isn't that bad"

Yep agreed, hopefully the movie does it's own thing

nillapuddin

I love the series, the genre and everything in this movies orbit.

But I wont be able to make it through this movie because of Daniels

The haircut is so unbelievably bad that I feel like I need a written apology for having just watched that.

Ive been trying to go super dark on this movie out of respect of the franchise, but now I just caved and have learned that is a conscious decision to make this poor woman look like that, and I am speechless.

Im not saying all women leads need to be universally attractive, and the actress herself in other roles is perfectly fine, but man they just fucked her shit up in this role visually.

Busty

Banned
A horrible scene from/representative of what is sure to be a horrible film.

Everything about this was as generic as it could possibly be.

How Fox thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

Spectone

I just noticed this
2955654.jpg

Last%2BSupper%2BAlien%2BCovenant-ed.jpg

So now you know who space Jesus is

Was pretty good to me, not sure what's so repulsively terrible about it. Who cares if it has a few nods to ALIEN, it's a prologue and not part of the film proper.

David is an incredible character and is carrying these dumb movies on his back. I have to say every shot of him in this short is deeply unsettling, and Fass's line delivery is great.

Even in that on the nose Last Supper shot, there is something so unsettling about David's face. It actually looks empty, like he's analyzing a bunch of test subjects. I don't know how Fassbender manages to get his face to look so blank and still off, but it is kind of impressive.

Also, if Ridley wants to really go full force with this Jesus/religious stuff in Alien, he missed a huge opportunity by not having David emulate Peter O' Toole in The Ruling Class instead of Lawrence of Arabia.

I thought it was good tbh. The drinking and social interaction felt 100% real in fact, reminded me of my 20s. Not sure what planet some of you are on if this looked forced. I think the point was to show camaraderie and help build the crew as people you may or may not care about when they die. Someone literally complained they were arm wrestling lol

Time will tell

I thought it was good tbh. The drinking and social interaction felt 100% real in fact, reminded me of my 20s. Not sure what planet some of you are on if this looked forced. I think the point was to show camaraderie and help build the crew as people you may or may not care about when they die. Someone literally complained they were arm wrestling lol

I think Prometheus created something of a stigma where some are super down about everything and perhaps even irrationally so. And that some think Ridley Scott doesn't "have it" anymore. Oh, and we're now in this age where people see familiar elements and tropes in a series and whine about how nothing is new and that everything is a retread.

While that may ring true for certain things, I simply think that filmmakers just want their Alien or Star Wars things to feel like Alien and Star Wars things. You don't have to retread to accomplish this, but at the same time people are already saying this is a retread of the first Alien when the reality is that we've only seen one trailer that didn't really remind me of the original Alien at all, and this prologue thingy that had deliberate callback elements but isn't part of the film.

Like you said, time will tell, but like with a lot of things I feel like there's a lot of kneejerk negativity. I can understand being skeptical if you didn't like Prometheus, but I'm sure the writers and Scott are well aware of the problems people felt the movie had. And Prometheus' screenplay went through a few alterations and they couldn't make up their mind as to whether or not they wanted to make an Alien prequel so then they hired Lindelof to add a lot of religious themes to a script that was originally just a straight up Alien prequel.

In the end that move caused the script to feel unsure of itself and I think that's where the problems came from. This feels more confident to me so far, they're calling it Alien in the title, no holds barred, and Prometheus' problems certainly had fuck all to do with Ridley's direction as it was incredibly well made.

Kazuhira

Kinda strange that Franco didn't show up in the first trailer,maybe he spends the first half of the movie with his head halfway down the toilet.
Dude looks like shit in that clip,space sickness or something.

Kinda strange that Franco didn't show up in the first trailer,maybe he spends the first half of the movie with his head halfway down the toilet.
Dude looks like shit in that clip,space sickness or something.

He probably already has an alien in him or something. Hopefully it's played by Seth Rogan.

I just noticed this
2955654.jpg

Last%2BSupper%2BAlien%2BCovenant-ed.jpg

So now you know who space Jesus is
the short is called the last fucking supper

edit: o you're trolling

mess

anyway i'm not excited for this because alien is like 3/5 for me (alien best, aliens good, prometheus good, alien 4 meh, alien 3 delete it throw away all the backups and repent)

the short is called the last fucking supper

edit: o you're trolling

mess

anyway i'm not excited for this because alien is like 3/5 for me (alien best, aliens good, prometheus good, alien 4 meh, alien 3 delete it throw away all the backups and repent)

The poster isn't trolling, they're pointing out Ridley Scott's absurd religious imagery. Just because your short is called the last supper doesn't mean you have to go after the low hanging fruit and frame your shot literally like the last supper setting your horror movie hero out to be jesus from the word go. Ridley just can't help himself...

Also, why wouldn't you be excited for this if you liked both Alien AND Prometheus? This is basically Prometheus 2: Alien Boogaloo.

David is an incredible character and is carrying these dumb movies on his back. I have to say every shot of him in this short is deeply unsettling, and Fass's line delivery is great.

Even in that on the nose Last Supper shot, there is something so unsettling about David's face. It actually looks empty, like he's analyzing a bunch of test subjects. I don't know how Fassbender manages to get his face to look so blank and still off, but it is kind of impressive.

Also, if Ridley wants to really go full force with this Jesus/religious stuff in Alien, he missed a huge opportunity by not having David emulate Peter O' Toole in The Ruling Class instead of Lawrence of Arabia.

yep. really disliked Prometheus but fassbender's android was so good. He's nailed that eery look about him, great line delivery too. sometimes you can veer too far into robotic where it's just shit.

The poster isn't trolling, they're pointing out Ridley Scott's absurd religious imagery. Just because your short is called the last supper doesn't mean you have to go after the low hanging fruit and frame your shot literally like the last supper setting your horror movie hero out to be jesus from the word go. Ridley just can't help himself...

Also, why wouldn't you be excited for this if you liked both Alien AND Prometheus? This is basically Prometheus 2: Alien Boogaloo.
o i know but it is like you said the most obvious on the nose reference ever which is why i was surprised someone even bothered to point it out :p

i'm not excited for it cus 1) james franco 2) the trailer looked bad 3) shower sex

imma still go tho

UrbanRats

The only two things i really hated were seeing James Franco and having yet another nod to Alien, i mean it played on it funnily and all, but it make me worried, because i think we've had enough nostalgia bait and nerd masturbation to last us for two generations, in the last couple of years.
That shit does nothing for me.

Also if it was meant to set up the characters, it didn't really do that all that well, since most of them feel like red shirts.

I hope Franco's napping in his cryotube through the entire film just to wake up at the end and get killed immediately.

The fact that he felt unwell before going in cryo made me wonder if maybe he's never going to wake up. But then I guess that would mean we never meet him in the actual movie so probably not.

Calabi

I'm sure they mention it's a first time experience ... I could believe the first film as a bunch of miners out of their depth. And the second film as a squad of experienced Marines who didn't have a clue what they were walking into. I think this crew should be a lot more tense and nervous about what they might face. A standard NASA mission requires years of training, psychological testing, you have to be top of your game. I just struggle to buy this for such an important mission. Anyway this poster nails my thoughts.

Yeah I'm feeling the same. Even in the first Alien film there was a certain amount of professionalism. They were people doing their jobs and did have a bit of a laugh but as work colleagues would.

These look like a bunch of people who've spent years together, and are going on a road trip. But maybe these are the people of the future, IQ's having dropped sharply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom