• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Officially Revealed for Street Fighter V, Everyone Act Surprised

Exr

Didn't give a shit about her before but she looks really fun. Command grab and that slow fireball for setups looks neato

She looks good. Its nice to see a bit of thong action going on, even if there is no exposed flesh back there. I think it would be cool if she was Blankas daughter or Seans sister. Or even Oros great granddaughter.

Its nice to see a bit of thong action going on, even if there is no exposed flesh back there.

That's not nice, it's bad costuming.

"We gave her a pretty big ass"
"Yes we did. But there needs to be something more"
"What if we, uh, what if we make the pants chaps, and she's wearing a thong?"
"I like the cut of your jib... but I don't know. We already kinda did that with Mika"
"I guess you're right. Ah well, maybe it's enough that she's got a big ass."
"And you've got some really big boobs thiiiiis close to falling out of her top at all times."
"Yeah, that was pretty tough to do! I'm pretty proud of that!"
"But still..(sigh) I wish we could... I think there needs to be... I don't know. (snaps fingers) Hey! What if... What if you just color the ass-part of her pants black, and then put a thong OVER that."
"I don't... That's not a thing people do. That doesn't exist, I don't think, sir."
"Try it anyway. I want to see if it'll work."
"Okay... How's that."
"OH MY GOD IT'S PERFECT. YOU MAD GENIUS."
"But it was your id--"
"I KNOW!"

That's not nice, it's bad costuming.

Bad costuming? Lauras costume overall isnt great, but the backside design makes it better for sure. I know many people who post here dont like sexy females, but I do.
People like Hours Left would probably tell me Uriens thong makes for a good costume too, but to me, thats a huge eyesore (as was T4 diaper-Heihachi).

TheOGB

Banned
The worst part is, the stereotypical "clearly exposed thong" would have been less dumb than this

(sorry to keep picking on ya, Tekken)

Bad costuming? Lauras costume overall isnt great, but the backside design makes it better for sure. I know many people who post here dont like sexy females, but I do.
People like Hours Left would probably tell me Uriens thong makes for a good costume too, but to me, thats a huge eyesore (as was T4 diaper-Heihachi).
This, err...isn't about sexy men vs. sexy women. This is about a dumb ass pair of pants.

Lauras costume overall isnt great, but the backside design makes it better for sure. I know many people who post here dont like sexy females, but I do.

That design has nothing to do with sexiness. She's wearing underwear on the outside of her pants, pants which have the asscheeks colored black. That's dumb. It was dumb when Superman did it, and it's dumb now.

Find me a picture of "sexy females" who go around rocking thong underwear on the outside of their pants.

edit: Nevermind. Just googled it.

zmAf3VU.jpg

mmm. yeah. That's the sexy shit.

That design has nothing to do with sexiness. She's wearing underwear on the outside of her pants, pants which have the asscheeks colored black. That's dumb. It was dumb when Superman did it, and it's dumb now.

Find me a picture of "sexy females" who go around rocking thong underwear on the outside of their pants.

edit: Nevermind. Just googled it.

zmAf3VU.jpg

mmm. yeah. That's the sexy shit.

If you look closely, you may notice that isnt Laura and you may even assume her in game figure is more appealing than that (to many people).

If you look closely, you may notice that isnt Laura and you may even assume her in game figure is more appealing than that (to many people).

A thong over pants isn't "her figure." Her figure is fine. Her costuming is pants-on-head ridiculous. Or more specifically, thong-over-pants stupid.

Which is what I was talking about in the first place. Her costuming.

Now if you can't tell the difference between the human body and the clothes covering it, I can't help you.

Coda

The thong is just a color pattern that is part of her pants, not a thong on top of her pants. Yeah it's a little silly but it's clearly not a thong on top of her pants.

Bleep

Street Fighter has always had silly, outlandish character designs and costumes. The thong thing is super dumb, but complaining that it isn't realistic or viable is kinda missing the point when you have dudes fighting in full body skeleton costumes and green electricity monsters. I'd rather them try dumb stuff rather than playing it safe, even when it doesn't always hit the mark.

Vex_

Banned
It's the ink flow that makes this game next-gen, isn't it?

I'm not joking when I say this: Yes. And it looks dope.

Also, we are out of the ink (sf4) and oilXwater (sfxt), and we are now seeing paint? Water colors perhaps?

A thong over pants isn't "her figure." Her figure is fine. Her costuming is pants-on-head ridiculous. Or more specifically, thong-over-pants stupid.

Which is what I was talking about in the first place. Her costuming.

Now if you can't tell the difference between the human body and the clothes covering it, I can't help you.

Who's figure is fine? Lauras is great, no question. The one in your picture is much less impressive, though Im pretty sure you went looking for a non-flattering pic.
Regarding Laura, its like when I see a good looking girl in one of those those aerobic outfits, with the thong riding over the tights (or whatever they're called). Im confident most straight guys think "hot", before "ridiculous". Same thing here. Laura looks hot and thats a good thing (for me at least).
We should just agree to disagree, I think.

though Im pretty sure you went looking for a non-flattering pic.

Dude, that is literally the ONLY pic I could find on google when I typed in the words "thong over pants."

Because people don't wear thongs over their pants. They go under the pants.

Because they're underwear.

The thong thing is super dumb, but complaining that it isn't realistic

I'm not really complaining about it being unrealistic. Mostly that it's just dumb, and it's dumb in such a super-specific way. Like, there's taking a risk and then there's "I don't really know what I'm doing but I bet someone will think it's cool because they've never actually seen it before, although there's probably a reason nobody's seen it before and that's because it's pretty stupid and also ugly"

but just like with Mika - she looks fun as hell to play, and it's not like there won't be alternate costumes (that might also be dumb, but maybe in a way that's less unappealing aesthetically) to use.

PhineBuyM3

Dayum, she's hot. Keep this up Capcom. I've mostly been looking at pictures of SFV, but I saw someone on Gamefaqs mention that she's related to Blanka or some shit.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Am I the only thats absolutely disappointed at her voice not only having a brazilian accent, but just sounds nothing like what the character looks like?

Sayad

Silk Spectre rocks an awesome sexy leotard over granny leotard, underwear over cloths could work. Laura's sorry attempts is just awful though.

BobbyRoberts, you should be looking for "thong over body paint" pictures, because that's what they seem to be going for. ;p

Dude, that is literally the ONLY pic I could find on google when I typed in the words "thong over pants."

Because people don't wear thongs over their pants. They go under the pants.

Because they're underwear.

Laura isnt wearing "traditional" pants though. At least shes not wearing anything like the jeans you posted. Im pretty sure she is wearing some skin tight spandex material under those green pants, with the thong on top. Many of us guys will like that because it puts an emphasis on her shapely behind. This pic is closer to what Capcom has achieved than yours was...

406932a76620aa86fc9e916fc7e78a64.jpg

Even if you still think its dumb, can you understand why many others (myself included) would think it looks good?

Birdie really isn't a grappler actually. Vega damn sure isn't. Having a grapple move does not make you a grappler. Necalli isn't either...and from the little we saw Laura doesn't exactly seem to be that either as most of her grabs seem to come off of set ups and hit confirms. But even if she is 3 grapplers who all play vastly different isn't bad anyway.

yeah I'd like one of the remaining two to be a zoner but eh

What is your imaginary definition of a grappler? If you have a command grab you're a grappler, end of story. Yes the Twins are grapplers.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Laura isnt wearing "traditional" pants though. At least shes not wearing anything like the jeans you posted. Im pretty sure she is wearing some skin tight spandex material under those green pants, with the thong on top. Many of us guys will like that because it puts an emphasis on her shapely behind. This pic is closer to what Capcom has achieved than yours was...

406932a76620aa86fc9e916fc7e78a64.jpg

Even if you still think its dumb, can you understand why many others (myself included) would think it looks good?

See, that's a leotard over tights, not assless pants with half a thong over... tights? Is that still part of the pants? I mean, it's beneath the upper part of the pants and seems merge with a belt like section? Honestly, Laura's design is kinda mystifying and kinda generic in a "sexy female" kinda way. Her clothing attributes are "spilling breasts!" and "thong pants!", basically.

I like her hair and colour palette, tho.

Damn, kinda taken aback by how hot she is, plus I love BJJ so I guess this is my main hurr hurr.

In typical Street Fighter fashion she is the lights skinned Brazilian possible though, wtf.

Am I the only thats absolutely disappointed at her voice not only having a brazilian accent, but just sounds nothing like what the character looks like?

This, she sounds like an 18 year old from the OC.

See, that's a leotard over tights, not assless pants with half a thong over... tights? Is that still part of the pants?.

Yes, I think she is wearing assless pant with a thong over tights. Its very similar to what Juri wears IIRC. I'd imagine her green pants and spandex tights are two seperate pieces of clothing.

I-Sc5HyXIQczdtQaFl1mRc9z2k1Qf1x8Pa_C5i7YH1T2FZgNNG7W-Zac0qohEsRkclFZtaSDTaLAJM7Kmiv990xXIp1e7CV5ca6KbFGY-JxK7pyS0gbu-rehUYoy7f62KP8U5J5HFFYgHFjXGi1JHQZk-LcjiZs9M611GoOHrheqwiGf75qaZDa1PCdTIzgRNm18AvfKkYQON24Q1vQ9CNl4SARUGpl1xPPjJoLZdWccQpzxpw5iTlJeHvQ1pMEcCZ4HMxB8lcWK19i_b55scgxEZO1LX8h1qnXDZu7Axiim67dfbtnwLIuWMdMleG0MC22-osoEnyEkgI9nuuEODmx4c8s1f5_rZsOfloAXxrkReZ1tMjDWSxjXsb1BD3iQ5RFwHiAsS_SX_VkT_dE8nGMHBAPIgsfFfeRh2ZZJ6L39n9CrQWpLVkPZUQ5vgpnEqY70esTThPBRBLSzKias6gMvZ-LTgPk59xUHj-uR0PHA7G2Kv3kPifTAXjHcECGIhpLpNxoua9iTmNmFR1ttnx0GICD0xMNajIJxMddg5js=w583-h472-no

GorillaJu

The point isn't that that exact clothing exists rl. games are allowed room for exaggeration. It's just that wearing a thong over tights isn't like, super crazy wow what dumb shit omg

This pleases me. Honesty liking the grappling focus we have seen thus far in SFV.

There's so many in this game, it's like they're the new Shota!

As a dedicated grappler player... hell yeah.

What is your imaginary definition of a grappler? If you have a command grab you're a grappler, end of story. Yes the Twins are grapplers.

It does kind of rely on how the command grab works, but yeah, a real command grab equals a grappler in my book.
Like, if it's blockable, no that's not a grappler, for instance.

TheOGB

Banned
The point isn't that that exact clothing exists rl. games are allowed room for exaggeration. It's just that wearing a thong over tights isn't like, super crazy wow what dumb shit omg
In general, no. Here, though, whatever's going on there just raises too many unnecessary questions. Could have done something simpler/more sensible, is all.

In typical Street Fighter fashion she is the lights skinned Brazilian possible though, wtf.
To be fair, this was their last Brazilian character

NEO0MJ

What? SF had three Brazilians. The first green, the second dark skinned and now the third light skinned. I think they did a good job repping the country.

Damn, kinda taken aback by how hot she is, plus I love BJJ so I guess this is my main hurr hurr.

This, she sounds like an 18 year old from the OC.
this is not the lightest skinned brazilian possible

Raitaro

What? SF had three Brazilians. The first green, the second dark skinned and now the third light skinned. I think they did a good job repping the country.

For Sean I think they did, but I still can't help but wonder why Laura - especially if she's actually related to him - has such a light skin color. But that topic has been covered of course.

What bothers me more at this point is how light skinned pretty much all of the background characters in her stage are, especially the two carnival costume wearing ladies on the left side.

Not to sound insensitive but I think I've mostly seen darker skinned women wear such costumes in carnival videos, making me think that Capcom might have made a conscious decision to avoid putting people with these darker skin tones in the stage to represent Brazilian culture. Maybe they thought it would lead to controversy for some reason? Whatever the reason for it: it looks off.

Back on Laura: I agree with some here that her Super is a bit lame because of how it uses the edges of the screen (which I never really like, not even in wall jumps, as it breaks the fourth wall a bit too much). I also still think that her look is a bit too strongly geared towards sassy and sexy instead of athleticism or musicality or something else I'd associate with Brazil. Personally I'd rather have seen a spiffy tomboy-ish, sporty character like Elena (in personality, not her overly sexy movement) or Sakura instead of Kim Kardashian in revealing sports clothes. The boobs especially, and I can't believe I'm typing this, are a bit much I find. As are her facial expressions in some shots.

Top Bottom