• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Famitsu Details (NPC Names and Bios)

So what's up with the Gerudo girl, then? Surely she's important, I mean Link is even wearing similar bracers to what Ganondorf once wore, right?

And so does this mean that this really is present time Zelda?

Also, there's no real reason Rito and Zora can't coexist. There's also nothing that says the Rito being around means this has to be in the Adult timeline. It could be in the Downfall timeline where a similar occurrence to the Adult timeline happened to force some Zora to evolve into Rito and some others to stay Zora. It's not really evidence pointing to any timeline.

The only real evidence we have is that Ganon has apparently been fought multiple times already, which points to the Downfall timeline. Well, that, and all the NES Zelda, OoT, TP, and SS nods.

I am excited for this awesome badass hero group they are forming. I hope they get some cool name. So they all wear blue, I assume the leader eventually gets to wear green...

It's safe to say each one of these characters is the guide to a dungeon.

TreIII

My greatest fear is that we get flashbacks to 100 years ago and it's to a series of events that don't correspond with any other game, or place it in any timeline. Just "ganon appeared, people fought, etc etc." Ala the Wind Waker prologue, which created a new "ganon attacks" backstory instead of using an existing one. Would be a real bummer!!!

I'm actually fully expecting that, myself.

At least if my theory about this being in the Downfall branch is true, they already have an excuse: Ganon was never really "killed off" in this one, and could resurrect at any given opportunity. It'd just be a matter of picking a spot of where to have his next revival, especially if my dream comes true and this is "post-Zelda II".

Guys this game is NOT in the Adult timeline.

Aonuma: I wouldn’t say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you’ll be able to work out where it fits. As you probably saw in the trailer, the most recent trailer, there’s a woman’s voice, and she says: “The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon.” And as you know, the Zelda series, up until now, is a history of repeated attacks by Ganon. So, there’s food for thought there. I don’t want to say anything more as I’d like players to work it out for themselves, to play the game and see what they think.

This game is in the fallen hero timeline. The only timeline where Ganon attacked several times.

As they all have different weapons, I wonder if you get them as rewards and they don't break down like other ones. Or maybe they join you for the final battle.
Perhaps the Rito bow has those special arrows that we saw in the initial trailer. There was art depicting a person standing on top of each of the four beasts. I suspect the three characters outlined here plus the gerudo help you defeat/tame the four divine beasts. After you defeat a divine beast the character stays behind to keep it settled down and gives you a special weapon.

This game is in the fallen hero timeline. The only timeline where Ganon attacked several times.

Uh.

Ganon always attacks Link/Zelda in Ocarina, that's fixed as far as we're aware. Even if you're being picky and it has to be a game where the Ganon form appears (and not just Ganondorf), Ganon still appears in Twilight Princess and Four swords adventures, where he is a form during the boss battle and successfully revived respectively, meaning Ganon appears at least twice more in the Child Timeline , as well as his appearances in the fallen hero timeline.

If Ganondorf also counts, then he's in Wind Waker too obviously.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

See I figured that, based on that quote. But the perfect place to drop it is right after OOT and before LTTP, as a result of the effects of the "defeated Link." And at that point, Ganon has only attacked once. If it's multiple times it'd be later on, post-Zelda-2 as that guy above suggested which sounds neat (though I'd expect we would've seen sage-named towns by now were that true), but then it misses out on that perfect timeline spot.

So I'm like

raw

See I figured that, based on that quote. But the perfect place to drop it is right after OOT and before LTTP, as a result of the effects of the "defeated Link." And at that point, Ganon has only attacked once. If it's multiple times it'd be later on, post-Zelda-2 as that guy above suggested which sounds neat (though I'd expect we would've seen sage-named towns by now were that true), but then it misses out on that perfect timeline spot.

So I'm like

raw

Well, Hyrule is almost 100% destroyed, so the cities with sage names are gone. I wish this was a pre-ALTTP game but at the same time, it would fit as the last game in the fallen hero timeline where Ganon is a constant menace.

doop_

Banned
When you think about it they, they are kind of the Power Rangers of Hyrule. They might even have their own Zords.

The only way for this game to be Post WW:
Taking the master Sword from Ganondorf's head and having a bunch of railways in Hyrule lol..

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well, Hyrule is almost 100% destroyed, so the cities with sage names are gone. I wish this was a pre-ALTTP game but at the same time, it would fit as the last game in the fallen hero timeline where Ganon is a constant menace.

Yea Ganon as said menace is definitely good at the end of that timeline. The OOT-ish ruins though, like the Temple of Time, really make it feel like a direct OOT followup. Never have we had a temple of time so faithful to that OOT design.

BUT I gotta stop thinkin/talkin/readin about it, I'm just gonna end up spoiled this way.

RagnarokX

Aonuma would also say exactly that if he wanted to keep the timeline position a secret, or if there really are timeline shenanigans like some have speculated happening. I'm gonna wait and see.

No. He would have just said nothing or something very vague. His statement is a flatout denial and would have to be a lie for it to still be related to Wind Waker.

Furthermore, we've seen references to bird people in TP HD and there are bird people in Zelda 2. That covers all 3 timelines.
LtoZU63.png

What? Ganon has attacked multiple times in the adult timeline, with arguably his biggest victory.

During the events of Ocarina of Time
Fall of Hyrule, Post-OOT. This is what causes the flood.
During the events of Wind Waker

I also don't actually think that quote kills any timeline, but just says it's towards the end of whatever timeline it occupies. Future games could potentially happen in the middle of any timeline, adding new Ganon attacks.

If this is the WW timeline I will actually ragequit.
It won't be. There are no train tracks and Ganon is alive which puts the kibosh on that theory. The
Rito
and koroks could exist in any timeline where Ganon wins as that was the event that spurred their evolution so the fallen timeline is still the most likely.

Nepenthe

I think a lot of evolution confusion stems from a lot of early timeline speculation hinging on the Koroks as having only been able to evolve at the expense of the Kokiri's existence under a single particular circumstance, thus proceeding speculation is following the same implications on the Rito and Zora. It wasn't always convincing to me, and in general I think it would be more rational to simply not assume any species' evolution is dependent on any single timeline and thus use them as smoking guns. Makes things more fun that way!

Real talk tho', I'm still gunning for the single original timeline because Hylia is still being worshipped. #PraiseHylia

Hobbun

Being part of ANY timeline is a mistake.

Curious on this reasoning.

I actually would find it interesting on how (if) it links together on the established timeline.

But if they don’t have it as part of the timeline, then that’s fine for me, as well.

I'm actually fully expecting that, myself.

At least if my theory about this being in the Downfall branch is true, they already have an excuse: Ganon was never really "killed off" in this one, and could resurrect at any given opportunity. It'd just be a matter of picking a spot of where to have his next revival, especially if my dream comes true and this is "post-Zelda II".

I'm actually expecting/hoping we'll be playing back and forth between 100 years in the past and the present.

PrimeBeef

Are folks glossing over the first point that makes it seem that Zelda isn't just trapped and is actively taking an active role in the present timeline?

Not to mention that I could swear that either Aonuma or someone else from the team already confirmed its not in the WW timeline.

Do we know she is active in the present. Currently I am under the assumption that scenes with here are the flashbacks where Link regains his memories.

I recall reading something to the effect that the adult time era was ruled out by Aonuma.

They're going to include whatever characters and races they think are a good fit regardless of the timeline placement, try not to agonize over it.

Yep - and this is also exactly why i don't care about any of the timeline stuff unless Nintendo are specifically positioning a game as a sequel (OoT -> MM etc). Enjoying the games as their own story just frees up the experience.

I just hope that these characters don't end up like the troupe on Twilight Princess that you meet up with. Intense tomboy, nerdy skinny guy, etc. They were pretty forgettable.

7roject28

I think it's Wind Waker timeline. Nintendo likes to make play on words in the Zelda titles. So Breath will lead into Wind.

PrimeBeef

That allows us to have some idea of where the game falls timeline wise. It's definitely in the WW side of the timeline

So with old Hyrule destroyed and underwater, and the BotW map resembles old Hyrule, how would this fit in the Adult timeline, considering there has been no history of Ganon in it?

Do we know she is active in the present. Currently I am under the assumption that scenes with here are the flashbacks where Link regains his memories.

I recall reading something to the effect that the adult time era was ruled out by Aonuma.
I don't know if confirmed but the wording makes it seem like she's in the present and going through ruins while link wakes up. They say she's the princess of the destroyed Hyrule, so at the very least she's in some shape or form in the present timeline.

PrimeBeef

I love this red hue to the Zoras and I love how Zoras and Ritos are both in this game rather than just one of those two races. I wonder if we can have the Kokiri alongside the Koroks?

The Kokiri and the Koroks are the same beings. They(Koroks) took on the form of the Kokiri so Link would fell at home with people that looked like him. They never evolved to from Kokiri to Korok. So I doubt we would see both.

AGITΩ

Except there are Zoras too. In the WW side, all Zoras evolved into Rito...so.... *head explodes*
Well, given that theres more to the planet than just hyrule. It could be assumed that the zoras of hyrule evolved during the flood and when the flood recessed, civilizations from other continents repopulated, like Zoras from other lands.

PrimeBeef

I don't know if confirmed but the wording makes it seem like she's in the present and going through ruins while link wakes up. They say she's the princess of the destroyed Hyrule, so at the very least she's in some shape or form in the present timeline.

Are you talking about the spoiler rumor that said Zelda
wakes up before link
? I'm not sure that spoiler list is real.

Ignore that. It was in the first sentence of the OP. Maybe the rumor list is valid afterall.

Top Bottom