• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Famitsu Details (NPC Names and Bios)

Torokil

Gonna guess that they can be brought along in Hyrule for puzzles and battles. Sort of like Wolf link. They don't have those weapons for nothing.

The fact that they're being so vague about it means it's probably a plot twist. So I'm going to say that this is.
1. A stealth Zelda 1 remake
2. Stealth Zelda 1/2 sequel
3. Merging of all three timelines.

PrimeBeef

The fact that they're being so vague about it means it's probably a plot twist. So I'm going to say that this is.
1. A stealth Zelda 1 remake
2. Stealth Zelda 1/2 sequel
3. Merging of all three timelines.

Aunoma said it is in one of the timelines. I do believe it is a sequel or a distant sequel to AoL. Reason for the vagueness is it might ruin some of the mystery/story if you know for certain right away as opposed to finding out as the story progresses.

Aunoma said it is in one of the timelines. I do believe it is a sequel or a distant sequel to AoL. Reason for the vagueness is it might ruin some of the mystery/story if you know for certain right away as opposed to finding out as the story progresses.

Technically a merging of all three timelines would still be in one of the timelines.

13ruce

Banned
Game of the Century.

Edit: what if you team up with them in the final boss battle!? Gerudo girl included, Omg.

I don't even know what the point of merging the timelines would be. That seems like it'd just be a bunch of fan-servicy gobbly-gook to appease the timeline nerds, not something that could actually contribute to a narrative in a meaningful way. What exactly, from a narrative and character perspective, would be interesting about that?

War Eagle

Are you talking about the spoiler rumor that said Zelda
wakes up before link
? I'm not sure that spoiler list is real.

Ignore that. It was in the first sentence of the OP. Maybe the rumor list is valid afterall.

Mind directing me to this so called spoiler list please? PM is fine if you don't want to post it publicly.

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
First off: I love these characters and I'm really liking the idea that you might get to have them as NPC buddies in the game.

Timeline-wise, I'm still thinking it's in the Downfall timeline. With regards to the Aonuma quote, re: Ganon having attacked multiple times, even counting the Wind Waker backstory, Ganon has shown up in some form twice as many times in the Downfall timeline as any other. A Link to the Past, the Oracle games, ALBW, and the original game, plus in Zelda II the enemies are trying to revive him. The other thing that could admittedly just be more just referring to where they took inspiration from, is this quote from the official website:

"Rumor has it there are even more connections between the original The Legend of Zelda and the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It'll be fun trying to find them all when the game is finally released in 2017!"

Which could definitely be implying that they are connected timeline-wise.

TreIII

What? Ganon has attacked multiple times in the adult timeline, with arguably his biggest victory.

Gotta disagree there. Whatever Adult!Ganondorf may have accomplished in the Adult Timeline, it still doesn't beat how Downfall!Ganon ended up getting the Full Triforce and control of the Golden Land/Sacred Realm. Total victory would have been his, if the Imprisoning War didn't happen soon afterward. Said Ganon also went on to be a repeat offender in his timeline branch with multiple known resurrections and further attempts at Hyrule/The Triforce, whereas Adult!Ganondorf got sealed "forever" at the bottom of the ocean by the end of WW.

I'm actually expecting/hoping we'll be playing back and forth between 100 years in the past and the present.

That would be an interesting thing to see played out, even though the whole "jumping back and forth through time" thing has already been done quite a bit. Either way, I'm hoping they keep it fresh.

13ruce

Banned
No Midna in her true form tho, right?

Remember Twilight Princess' ending?

If this is in the fallen hero timeline the mirror still is in that one and the adult timeline.
But i doubt we will see any trace of the Twili and Midna maybe a small easter egg.

ckaneo

THought it was obvious they were Rito when Nintendo expanded the Zora race to include manta rays. Ritos were expanded to include more species of bird.

Also will you guys stop over analysing the time line? The fact that there are the same structures that aren't exactly the same tells you all you need to know. Nintendo cares more about the personal fit as opposite to the larger time line fit

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There are two branches of Zora, the Fresh water & salt water respectively. It wouldn't be that far fetched if one of them had evolved into birds, while the other had stayed the same.
Aren't the fresh water Zoras ugly, fat and hostile?

120px-King-Zora-2.png

latest

300px-Zola.png

The twist is that this is Hyrule's Sacred Realm restored after LttP
I don't actually believe this

Cerium

I think this is the downfall timeline, set after Zelda II, and I think this might be the game where we finish off Ganon in that timeline once and for all.

brad-t

I don't even know what the point of merging the timelines would be. That seems like it'd just be a bunch of fan-servicy gobbly-gook to appease the timeline nerds, not something that could actually contribute to a narrative in a meaningful way. What exactly, from a narrative and character perspective, would be interesting about that?

Toon Link and Toon Zelda show up in a train to help you defeat Ganon once and for all

Reptiles, birds, mammals, and amphibians all evolved from fish, but there are still fish in the world.

Anyway, nice to see confirmation on the Rito being around. Kinda weird that they went from being bird people to just big versions of birds.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Are folks glossing over the first point that makes it seem that Zelda isn't just trapped and is actively taking an active role in the present timeline?

Not to mention that I could swear that either Aonuma or someone else from the team already confirmed its not in the WW timeline.
I'm not

RagnarokX

I don't know if confirmed but the wording makes it seem like she's in the present and going through ruins while link wakes up. They say she's the princess of the destroyed Hyrule, so at the very least she's in some shape or form in the present timeline.

Ganon has attacked Hyrule before 100 years ago. It seems like 100 years ago, before Ganon's current attack, she went around Hyrule with Link checking out ruins.

She's clearly in the castle at the start of BOTW, and she likely stays there until the end because she's keeping Ganon sealed.

What happened to that converging of the time lines theory?

It was never based on anything that we've seen that couldn't be explained without it and would require severe magical intervention that we haven't seen any kind of hint of.

R0ckman

Keep in mind that the Zora-Rito evolution conflicts. It was unnatrual and forced by the gods.

I welcome more races, I think they just wanted more variety and didn't care about conflicts.

I think this is the downfall timeline, set after Zelda II, and I think this might be the game where we finish off Ganon in that timeline once and for all.

I am all for this, partly because it sets up so perfectly for a MM-esque sequel. Feature the same Link, but bring in a new threat (like how Hero of Time Link went on to face Majora).

Beth Cyra

I was hoping they'd name one after Robin. I know it's been years but still it'd have been nice to see him immortalized in Zelda.

Oracle of Ages.

Both Zoras are in that game and the non-hostile village has an NPC that says not to bring complaints about getting attacked by River Zora to them or something like that.

Thank you!

Be weary! It's only has about 5 pages of art from BotW. The rest are from past titles. However, there are apparently 2 more Zelda artbooks being published in Japan later this year, but they have yet to say what their contents will be.

R0ckman

Still, it makes no sense and it wouldn't achieve anything. I know there are a quite a few people who don't like the split but combining the timelines only limits what Nintendo can do in future games.

Well they could safely keep going in the WW timeline, the issue is that they would have to sacrifice Ganon and the triforce theme, since he's permanantly dead in that timine. I would honestly prefer that though, because of Skyward Sword they have basically turned him into Wile E. Coyote. Or more relevantly, a slightly more serious Bowser.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I love that character art so much.

I truly don't understand the appeal of debating timeline therories....It's literally the last thing the developers really care about...They are going to write whatever they want that works for the game's story... It's practically just fan fiction, which makes debate moot.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I truly don't understand the appeal of debating timeline therories....It's literally the last thing the developers really care about...They are going to write whatever they want that works for the game's story... It's practically just fan fiction, which makes debate moot.
This argument always comes up in every Zelda thread. It is false.

Top Bottom